Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User24582

Who Here Still Has Acne? Need help?

Damn your obsest with diet...what I eat has never effected my acne in any way what so ever, how can you be sure it's your diet changing your skin and not your hormones?

As much as i wish i could be like you guys, wash once a day with light cleasner, but you see esp PMS period, face gets oil up faster than you blink.

So do you just leave oily face as it it?

Cos i am thinking:

you see when your face is obuviously oily, pores are filled with oil.

BActeria is something you cant stop.

So,

OIL + BACTERIA = BREAKOUT

So can you imagine if you wait until before you sleep then you wash your face?

That whole lot of at least 20+ hours, okay lets make it 10hours, anything can happen.

By then when OIL + BACTERIA, everything is just too late.

I dont mind if ya tell me otherwise, cos thinking of this is enough not to make me follow

"wash ONCE a day/ wash TWICE a day".

If you change your diet and lifestyle, your oil will go down a lot. If you do it right, your skin will become "normal", i.e. your oil production will be just like a person's without acne.

Right now I wash my face once a day and I basically never get oily at all. In fact I get dry skin more often than oily skin these days.

Damn your obsest with diet

Yep :D

what I eat has never effected my acne in any way what so ever

I don't believe you :dance:

I used to think the same thing until I actually started doing some real experiments with my diet.

how can you be sure it's your diet changing your skin and not your hormones?

Diet affects hormones. It's all hormones.

what I eat has never effected my acne in any way what so ever

I don't believe you :dance:

I used to think the same thing until I actually started doing some real experiments with my diet.

Yes. I didn't know diet affected my acne either. Until I changed it and my skin cleared for the first time since puberty.

Healthoid, please help me out. I posted this over on paleohacks.com but they don't know anything about acne over there.

Ok...so I've started the paleo WOE to get rid of my acne. In the past 3 or 4 weeks I have had no cheats except when I ate a bunch of peas at a restaurant (and broke out with several new pimples the next couple days). Everything was rainbows and unicorns because I was getting no new pimples and I thought, great, all I have to do is wait until the old ones heal then I'm clear! Not the case. The past 3 days or so I have gotten several new pimples, but I don't know where they are coming from! Just today I got a new pimple on my cheekbone, which is a weird place for me (I get most of my acne on forhead and around mouth/chin). Possible sources:

1. too much sugar from fruit? Strawberries are in season and I was eating a lot of fruit last week. I thought this was the cause initally and have cut way down on fruit but obviously still breaking out.

2.Cashews? This nut is like crack for me. I eat wayy too many. No 1/4 cup serving size for me.

3. Trace amounts of added sugar, maltodextrin (the corn stuff, right?), and corn starch from the pre cooked TJ's chicken I have bought many times the past week for quick lunch salads. Damn the fine print!

4. Traces of corn/wheat/gluten from the flaxseed oil pills I recently started taking. These have helped in the past so I figured why not. I only took them for 3 or 4 days I think which coincides with my breakouts, but again they have really helped in the past. I have stopped them anyways.

5. Small amount of rice vinegar I had in a cucumber salad a few days ago.

The only dairy I eat is butter (goat or pastured/grassfed cow). ok I sound completely anal/orthorexic but I just want to get rid of my damn acne! I was SO confident the paleo diet would clear me up for good.

For more Paleo hacks: http://paleohacks.com/questions/46913/hack...t#ixzz1QDqaXyg8

Right now im on paleo diet, Im taking zinc and a supplement with omega 3,6 and 9

can omega 6 affect my acne in a bad way?? or should I take just omega 3?

thx for answering :D

ohh forgot to to ask about fish, i read that in contains iodine, which can worse acne, whats your opinion about this?

Edited by Chestercool

Healthoid, please help me out. I posted this over on paleohacks.com but they don't know anything about acne over there.

Ok...so I've started the paleo WOE to get rid of my acne. In the past 3 or 4 weeks I have had no cheats except when I ate a bunch of peas at a restaurant (and broke out with several new pimples the next couple days). Everything was rainbows and unicorns because I was getting no new pimples and I thought, great, all I have to do is wait until the old ones heal then I'm clear! Not the case. The past 3 days or so I have gotten several new pimples, but I don't know where they are coming from! Just today I got a new pimple on my cheekbone, which is a weird place for me (I get most of my acne on forhead and around mouth/chin). Possible sources:

1. too much sugar from fruit? Strawberries are in season and I was eating a lot of fruit last week. I thought this was the cause initally and have cut way down on fruit but obviously still breaking out.

2.Cashews? This nut is like crack for me. I eat wayy too many. No 1/4 cup serving size for me.

3. Trace amounts of added sugar, maltodextrin (the corn stuff, right?), and corn starch from the pre cooked TJ's chicken I have bought many times the past week for quick lunch salads. Damn the fine print!

4. Traces of corn/wheat/gluten from the flaxseed oil pills I recently started taking. These have helped in the past so I figured why not. I only took them for 3 or 4 days I think which coincides with my breakouts, but again they have really helped in the past. I have stopped them anyways.

5. Small amount of rice vinegar I had in a cucumber salad a few days ago.

The only dairy I eat is butter (goat or pastured/grassfed cow). ok I sound completely anal/orthorexic but I just want to get rid of my damn acne! I was SO confident the paleo diet would clear me up for good.

For more Paleo hacks: http://paleohacks.com/questions/46913/hack...t#ixzz1QDqaXyg8

Hmm my best guess would be the cashews and/or the flaxseed oil.

First off, cashews are not actually nuts, they are legumes. So they're not officially on the paleo diet. But also, they have lots of omega-6s in them which can definitely cause issues if eaten in large quantities. Do you eat fish regularly? I would make sure you eat a lot of fish to balance out the omega-6s with omega-3s. Or take some fish oil.

Flaxseed oil is kinda a weird oil to take. It's not very natural. It has omega-3, but it is plant-based, so not very well absorbed. I would just avoid it or replace it with fish oil.

Edited by Healthoid

Right now im on paleo diet, Im taking zinc and a supplement with omega 3,6 and 9

can omega 6 affect my acne in a bad way?? or should I take just omega 3?

thx for answering :D

ohh forgot to to ask about fish, i read that in contains iodine, which can worse acne, whats your opinion about this?

Yep omega-6 is very bad for acne and most people eat way too much of it naturally in their diet through vegetable oils. There is no reason to supplement with omega-6.

I would only take fish oil, which is basically all omega-3s.

I wouldn't worry about iodine.

Edited by Healthoid

Helthoid, you said you believe in whole natural milk. Have you ever experimented with Kefir?

Yes I have drank a lot of kefir :D

The store-bought kefir is really awful though, it's filled with sugar. It's like drinking a soda.

But home-made kefir can be very good if you just make it from pure milk and cultures. Or if you can find a pure kefir at a store (very rare) then that will work too.

First off, cashews are not actually nuts, they are legumes. So they're not officially on the paleo diet. But also, they have lots of omega-6s in them which can definitely cause issues if eaten in large quantities. Do you eat fish regularly? I would make sure you eat a lot of fish to balance out the omega-6s with omega-3s. Or take some fish oil.

Flaxseed oil is kinda a weird oil to take. It's not very natural. It has omega-3, but it is plant-based, so not very well absorbed. I would just avoid it or replace it with fish oil.

Cashews are not legumes. Cashews are the seed a of a fruit in the same family as mangos and pistachios. All legumes are part of the Fabaceae family, which cashews are not. But yes, fairly high in omega 6, but also very high in many nutrients- one of the best sources of magnesium in fact.

Hi, I need help....DESPERATELY!!!

I tried a paleo-ish diet for a few months and didn't overly do anything for me - I was eating sweet potato and houmous though, I'm really underweight so I need the extra calories.

I think red meat also breaks me out and after having a kinesiology allergy testing the other week I found out I'm intolerant to pork, coconut milk (so I've cut out coconut oil and flakes as I'm not sure on that), almonds and walnuts so I feel pretty screwed!!!!

I'm trying to do a candidia diet at the minute http://www.thecandidadiet.com/

My daily diet pretty much consists of......

Early AM -

Lime or lemon juice in hot water

Green smoothie with EFA's, egg yolk, probiotics, vit e, vit a, zinc

Mid morning -

Rice

salad

Boiled egg

Brazil or hazelnuts or macadamia nuts

Lunch -

Salad / Veg

Chicken or eggs

Mid afternoon -

Rice

Dinner -

Chicken and veg again

I've completely cut out sugars for about a month which is really killing me ( going to have to buy some Stevia I think). Also I've tried searching high and low for grass-fed only meat (UK) and have had no such luck, it's ridiculous! Everything I buy is pretty much organic - even though it's expensive!!! My veg and salad pretty much consist's of green stuff, starchy/sugary stuff is pretty much off the list.

Any helpwould be appreciated. I know I eat too many nuts in a day but I'm stuggling to get my calories, especially as I'm not having coconut oil :(

Do you reckon I'd be alright with organic goat's milk?

It could be the cashews or the fruit. Fruit has alot of sugar in it, I consider it a once in awhile splurge.

Cashews are not legumes. Cashews are the seed a of a fruit in the same family as mangos and pistachios. All legumes are part of the Fabaceae family, which cashews are not. But yes, fairly high in omega 6, but also very high in many nutrients- one of the best sources of magnesium in fact.

Hmm interesting, it looks like you may be right? I don't know why all my other sources told me cashews were legumes. Cashews are seeds according to this: http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/is-cashew-legume

Nevertheless, like most nuts and seeds, they should be eaten in moderation or not at all due to the high amount of omega-6s.

I tried a paleo-ish diet for a few months and didn't overly do anything for me - I was eating sweet potato and houmous though, I'm really underweight so I need the extra calories.

I think red meat also breaks me out and after having a kinesiology allergy testing the other week I found out I'm intolerant to pork, coconut milk (so I've cut out coconut oil and flakes as I'm not sure on that), almonds and walnuts so I feel pretty screwed!!!!

I'm trying to do a candidia diet at the minute http://www.thecandidadiet.com/

My daily diet pretty much consists of......

Early AM -

Lime or lemon juice in hot water

Green smoothie with EFA's, egg yolk, probiotics, vit e, vit a, zinc

Mid morning -

Rice

salad

Boiled egg

Brazil or hazelnuts or macadamia nuts

Lunch -

Salad / Veg

Chicken or eggs

Mid afternoon -

Rice

Dinner -

Chicken and veg again

I've completely cut out sugars for about a month which is really killing me ( going to have to buy some Stevia I think). Also I've tried searching high and low for grass-fed only meat (UK) and have had no such luck, it's ridiculous! Everything I buy is pretty much organic - even though it's expensive!!! My veg and salad pretty much consist's of green stuff, starchy/sugary stuff is pretty much off the list.

Any helpwould be appreciated. I know I eat too many nuts in a day but I'm stuggling to get my calories, especially as I'm not having coconut oil :(

Do you reckon I'd be alright with organic goat's milk?

Hmm looks like your diet is way too low in meat and fat and too high in carbs. Cut out the rice and replace it with some fatty meat like beef, lamb, chicken legs, salmon. Also might want to cut out the smoothie or at least add some bacon and eggs to your breakfast :D . You could also try some full fat dairy.

I wouldn't worry about your allergy test results, especially a kinesiology test. Those things are notoriously inaccurate.

Update:

Well I've finally outlasted the breakout I experienced on my crazy cereal/almond milk binge. I'm not really waking up to any more active spots at the moment but I do have allot of red marks left over.

Things I've changed:

Water only on my face. I take a nice hot shower after my morning workout, and again before I go to bed. I haven't used any topicals for now other than the occasional spot treatment. Sometimes after I shave I'll use a little witch hazel and then jump in the shower.

As far as diet goes I'm still just eating low carb/sugar with the exception of some blueberries with my full fat original yogurt, sweet potato at dinner, and the occasional Subway. The yogurt is completely new for me as I shy away from dairy products. It's just the original full fat/low sugar kind. For some reason milk really breaks me out but isolated whey shakes or yogurt seems ok. Odd ..

Medication. I'm no longer on any antibiotics, but I have started taking Zyrtec since it seems to be helping my daughters allergies, and mine now :) I've also stopped all supplements except for B5 and D3 plus multivitamin. I think I was just taking way too much.

Overall I think stopping all supplements is what has really started to help me out. My energy seems to be much higher now that I eat a little more sugar. I really was dying there, just fatigued all the time. O yeah I've also started to eat raw organic spinach salads with every meal with extra virgin olive oil and ACV. Awesome stuff.

Helthoid, you said you believe in whole natural milk. Have you ever experimented with Kefir?

Yes I have drank a lot of kefir :D

The store-bought kefir is really awful though, it's filled with sugar. It's like drinking a soda.

But home-made kefir can be very good if you just make it from pure milk and cultures. Or if you can find a pure kefir at a store (very rare) then that will work too.

Yeah I'm thinking of getting my hands on some active cultures and trying this out. I wonder if I can make a protein shake out of the kefir ... hmmm ....

That's a problem. You need to be strict with the Paleo diet for at least 4 weeks before making a conclusion on its impact. A "Paleo-ish" diet comes after the strict initial period when you slowly start reintroducing foods to access how your body reacts.

I would try again and give it a full effort for at minimum 4 weeks.

Everything was rainbows and unicorns because I was getting no new pimples and I thought, great, all I have to do is wait until the old ones heal then I'm clear! Not the case. The past 3 days or so I have gotten several new pimples, but I don't know where they are coming from!

It's quite possible that your most recent breakout was a reaction from a few weeks ago. I don't have a study to source, but I've read that a breakout can take up to 21 days to show up.

So stick with your Paleo diet as strictly as you can and reaccess in a few weeks.

thanks for the support, guys. I am staying strong and sticking with this. I've learned how dangerous grocery shopping while hungry is - I was walking around the bakery section DROOLING.

What is the best way to get a better omega 3:6 ratio? Preferably without supplementation. I know it's kind of hard to get enough omega 3s purely via diet, so I think the easiet route would be eliminate omega 6. I need to cut down on my almond butter consumption! lol

thanks for the support, guys. I am staying strong and sticking with this. I've learned how dangerous grocery shopping while hungry is - I was walking around the bakery section DROOLING.

What is the best way to get a better omega 3:6 ratio? Preferably without supplementation. I know it's kind of hard to get enough omega 3s purely via diet, so I think the easiet route would be eliminate omega 6. I need to cut down on my almond butter consumption! lol

Yeah it's actually best to do it without supplements and it's not terribly hard.

First you want to make sure you are eating a lot of fish for the omega-3s. I like to eat canned salmon, but whatever way you can get it is good.

Second you want to eliminate any big sources of omega-6s. I would try going nut and seed free because almost all of these contain very large amounts of omega-6s. Also you for sure want to eliminate vegetable oils like olive oil, canola oil, corn oil, soy oil, etc. because these are huge sources of omega-6.

Omega-6s are almost all vegetable fats.

There are a few safe vegetable fats though:

- Palm oil

- Coconut oil / coconut

- Macadamia oil / macadamia nuts

You can eat as much as you want of the three above without any issues.

Hmm interesting, it looks like you may be right?

He is right. They are the seed of a weird tropical tree fruit. Weird in that the seed sticks outside the fruit so they can pick it off and process for export and sell the fruit locally. Grows throughout Central America.

On that note, Almonds are also the seed of a fruit related to cherries, peaches, plums etc. And some people here have claimed they broke out from stone fruit.

And peanuts are legumes. Also weird in that the 'nuts' grow underground and aren't vines like most other legumes, but a very attractive small shrublike plant. And I don't know of any other legume like that.

I need to cut down on the EVOO...any ideas for replacing it for salads and such? I'll keep an eye peeled for mac nut oil but I haven't seen it.

You could try coconut oil. You'll have to heat it up a bit though if you're not in a hot climate because it gets solid at room temperature.