Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User24582

Who Here Still Has Acne? Need help?

Anyone here still struggling?

Your natural regimen not working out?

Have diet, lifestyle or general health questions?

I'm here to help. I have some free time so if anyone wants to ask me anything, go ahead and I will answer in this thread.

I've been clear for about 6 years now from a natural regimen alone and I am ridiculously obsessed with health and acne, so I can answer any questions you have.

If you want some quick tips, I made this thread a while ago that will help a lot: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Clear-Ski...et-t257706.html

i do... haha

so im trying paleo again and im wondering how often can you cheat? like have a potato/butter when out at a restaurant?

no dairy alone did not clear me up i was eating alot of starch rice/potatoes/beans (i was following 180 degree health recommendations)- i think this gave me the worst acne i ever had

whats good for weight/body building and safe for acne- low GI? bananas? was fructose ever something that u noticed caused acne?

how much meat u eat per day? 1 lb? i eat vegetables/plantains unripe/bananas/ beef/bacon/goat butter/coconut oil i take taurine and am now using azelaic acid and bp as a spot treatment

do u supplement with calcium/recommend it? Cordain/paleo doesn't recommend calcium supplements b/c that calcium is a zinc antagonist-i was taking tons of bone powder for calcium

thanks

Edited by Chris-6

I still do :( And I tried your Paleo regime before... it didn't work for me. Only got me clear 90% I did it for 2 years but it made me socially awkward and mentally exhausted - I think I fell into depression because of it. But, the diet definitely affected my acne to a large extent. Now, I'm eating normal again and breaking out!!

Have you researched a way where we can still eat quite liberally and not breakout? Thanks!

so im trying paleo again and im wondering how often can you cheat? like have a potato/butter when out at a restaurant?

I cheat at least a couple times a week when I eat out. And potato/butter is really not bad at all. Those are what I would call "almost" paleo foods. Bad would be something like bread and margarine, that is very bad.

If you eat at a restaurant, try to stick to meats and vegetables. If you want to splurge, have some starch like rice, potatoes, or corn. But avoid gluten starch like the plague (no wheat).

no dairy alone did not clear me up i was eating alot of starch rice/potatoes/beans (i was following 180 degree health recommendations)- i think this gave me the worst acne i ever had

Beans and rice are not such a good idea. Lots of antinutrients in those, although rice really isn't horrible. Potatoes are actually relatively safe. They're much more of a natural hunter-gatherer food than grains or legumes.

whats good for weight/body building and safe for acne- low GI? bananas? was fructose ever something that u noticed caused acne?

Depends on your metabolism. But for bodybuilding, I eat at least 1 lb. of meat a day, fatty ground beef. And lots of whole milk.

Fructose does cause acne in its pure form, i.e. fructose in processed food. Fructose from fruits is not so bad. I think avoiding bananas is not necessary, unless the rest of your diet is crap and all you eat is bananas, then that's not good.

how much meat u eat per day? 1 lb? i eat vegetables/plantains unripe/bananas/ beef/bacon/goat butter/coconut oil i take taurine and am now using azelaic acid and bp as a spot treatment

I eat 1-2 lbs. of meat a day.

That sounds like a good diet really. I would stop the supplements though. And try going off the topical treatments. Sometimes they make things worse, and you won't know until you try going off them for a couple weeks.

do u supplement with calcium/recommend it? Cordain/paleo doesn't recommend calcium supplements b/c that calcium is a zinc antagonist-i was taking tons of bone powder for calcium

Yeah I don't take calcium. I don't recommend any supplements at all. I used to take a ton of them, but over time, I realized they do more harm than good. Better to get everything form whole natural foods.

I still do :( And I tried your Paleo regime before... it didn't work for me. Only got me clear 90% I did it for 2 years but it made me socially awkward and mentally exhausted - I think I fell into depression because of it. But, the diet definitely affected my acne to a large extent. Now, I'm eating normal again and breaking out!!

Have you researched a way where we can still eat quite liberally and not breakout? Thanks!

Only 90% clear? Hahaha, some people would kill for that :D

But yes, the diet can be hard at first. And if you can't stand eating different foods than other people around you, then it's not for you.

Eat whatever you want and not breakout? Hmm...try taking Accutane for the rest of your life! Actually don't, that will really mess you up! But your skin will be clear!

Anyone here still struggling?

Your natural regimen not working out?

Have diet, lifestyle or general health questions?

I'm here to help. I have some free time so if anyone wants to ask me anything, go ahead and I will answer in this thread.

I've been clear for about 6 years now from a natural regimen alone and I am ridiculously obsessed with health and acne, so I can answer any questions you have.

If you want some quick tips, I made this thread a while ago that will help a lot: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Clear-Ski...et-t257706.html

Just read your thread. What you wrote is basically, almost down to a T, what is working for me. I've had acne for 13 yeas and am *finally* clearing up. My hardest battle is the discipline part. Being one of those 'can eat whatever I want and never get fat' type of girls it's hard and forein for me to restrict my food in any way. But I find when I do cheat I pay for it with acne, insomnia, exhaustion, even gall bladder attacks. Not worth it. Am working on my discipline though, I'm sure it will get better. Also exercise is another hard one for me! I sound like a lazy sloth haha, but really being naturally skinny is a curse because you have no motivation for such things!

Anyways, just saying that your tips are excellent and I really do think it's generally that simple for most. Simple in the sense that it's not crazy medication, difficult in the sense that it's hard in today's society.

hidden spirit, I do not think that counts as paleo. Potatoes are a nutrient deficient carb load and buckwheat is a grain.

I have been doing paleo with butter as my only dairy, and my skin has been doing great so far. over 2 weeks and no new pimples!! :D

hidden spirit, I do not think that counts as paleo. Potatoes are a nutrient deficient carb load and buckwheat is a grain.

I have been doing paleo with butter as my only dairy, and my skin has been doing great so far. over 2 weeks and no new pimples!! :D

Great to hear RR. :) Keep sticking with it. Trust me, the benefits just keep piling up.

I still have acne. I find that when I eat absolutely zero sugar/carbs my skin gets allot better, but it is so easy to slip up. I recently found out that my daughter has a milk allergy (I'm a guy btw), and so I jumped to the conclusion that this is what has been causing my acne all this time. I've never really ate dairy, but I forgot that my protein shakes are loaded with whey/casein. After quitting all dairy I thought I finally found my cure, so I started to reintroduce things like cereals (with almond milk), and other carbs/sugars without dairy. Well 3 days later BAM. Now I'm having one of my worst breakouts ever, and basically starving myself again.

Do you think I have a candida issue? Delayed allergy to something else? Too much sugar spiking my insulin and messing up my hormones?, etc... It could be it all. I really did think it was milk proteins, but o well .. :( I would appreciate and help. And I'll answer all questions.

Hi Healthoid, I have a few questions - I have been grain free for just over a month now, and I have experienced considerable clearing of my skin and improvement in my health generally, but was just wondering whether these effects reach a palteau, and if so when. Whilst I am really pleased with the effects on my skin, I still get clogged pores (although nowhere near as many and often as I used to), especially around my time of the month - I realise as a guy there you probably won't be able to help me out on that particular one, but still :)

All in all I am just wondering to what extent do you feel your skin has healed and improved over time after cleaning up your diet, and what level of improvement I can expect after say a year of avoiding gluten, which seems to be my main trigger.

Also, I am wondering whether you have become more sensitive to all forms of gluten than before as this seems to be something that I am noticing - even tiny amounts now set me off.

Thanks for offering your advice and the benefit of your experience!

I am gluten, sugar and fructose free at the moment. Basically meat, dairy, green veg, rice and potatoes, Seriously f'ing annoying, boring and socially isolating [even though i don't really give a sh1t what other people think - well apart from my skin anyway]

Common sense says if diet is responsible then it has to be one of those left. I don't think it's meat or dairy, i have tried stopping dairy before with little change and i get little digestive problems from meat and dairy.

So this would mean that it's either rice and/ or potatoes. But i am finding it almost impossible to remove these and maintain an exercise regime.

Anyway. You say you have been clear for 6 years. Does this mean completely clear or do you still get the odd breakout and spot now and then?

Also do you know exaclty what your triggers are diet wise?

If you wanted to could you induce acne in yourself just by eating something?

I still have acne. I find that when I eat absolutely zero sugar/carbs my skin gets allot better, but it is so easy to slip up. I recently found out that my daughter has a milk allergy (I'm a guy btw), and so I jumped to the conclusion that this is what has been causing my acne all this time. I've never really ate dairy, but I forgot that my protein shakes are loaded with whey/casein. After quitting all dairy I thought I finally found my cure, so I started to reintroduce things like cereals (with almond milk), and other carbs/sugars without dairy. Well 3 days later BAM. Now I'm having one of my worst breakouts ever, and basically starving myself again.

Do you think I have a candida issue? Delayed allergy to something else? Too much sugar spiking my insulin and messing up my hormones?, etc... It could be it all. I really did think it was milk proteins, but o well .. :( I would appreciate and help. And I'll answer all questions.

Basically anything that raises insulin significantly can cause acne.

Milk could do it (especially non-fat or skim).

Cereals will do it for sure. Wheat is especially bad.

Have you tried the paleo diet? No dairy, no grains, no legumes.

Hi Healthoid, I have a few questions - I have been grain free for just over a month now, and I have experienced considerable clearing of my skin and improvement in my health generally, but was just wondering whether these effects reach a palteau, and if so when. Whilst I am really pleased with the effects on my skin, I still get clogged pores (although nowhere near as many and often as I used to), especially around my time of the month - I realise as a guy there you probably won't be able to help me out on that particular one, but still :)

All in all I am just wondering to what extent do you feel your skin has healed and improved over time after cleaning up your diet, and what level of improvement I can expect after say a year of avoiding gluten, which seems to be my main trigger.

Also, I am wondering whether you have become more sensitive to all forms of gluten than before as this seems to be something that I am noticing - even tiny amounts now set me off.

Thanks for offering your advice and the benefit of your experience!

Well if by reach a plateau, you mean you get 100% clear skin, then yes, there is a plateau :D . You can't get much better than 100% :D

Avoiding gluten is very good and grains are good to avoid too. But some of us are very sensitive and need to avoid many things in order to get 100%. That along with lifestyle changes like improving your sleep, and getting lots of vitamin D are also important if you are going for the pure 100%.

For example, I got about 95% clear from the paleo diet alone. But after I started doing a lot of other things, like following the metabolic type diet, got my vitamin D levels into an optimal range, and fixed my sleep, I reached 100%.

Yes I am definitely more sensitive to gluten than I was before. In fact the only way I noticed that I was sensitive at all to gluten was AFTER I cut it out and I started getting bad stomach problems whenever I ate it (along with some breakouts). What happens is that your body heals from the gluten damage, and then when you eat it again, it gets damaged and you notice it much more. It's a good thing though - it means you are much healthier than before.

Edited by Healthoid

I am gluten, sugar and fructose free at the moment. Basically meat, dairy, green veg, rice and potatoes, Seriously f'ing annoying, boring and socially isolating [even though i don't really give a sh1t what other people think - well apart from my skin anyway]

Common sense says if diet is responsible then it has to be one of those left. I don't think it's meat or dairy, i have tried stopping dairy before with little change and i get little digestive problems from meat and dairy.

So this would mean that it's either rice and/ or potatoes. But i am finding it almost impossible to remove these and maintain an exercise regime.

Anyway. You say you have been clear for 6 years. Does this mean completely clear or do you still get the odd breakout and spot now and then?

Also do you know exaclty what your triggers are diet wise?

If you wanted to could you induce acne in yourself just by eating something?

I am 100% clear when I stick to a good diet and lifestyle all of them time. But of course, I am only human and I do cheat sometimes. I breakout whenever I cheat.

There are a lot of triggers, but anything that raises insulin will do it.

- Anything with processed sugar

- Gluten

- Excessive carbs, even healthy ones (too much grains, fruit, etc.)

- Excessive omega-6s, even healthy ones (too much nuts and seeds, vegetable oils, etc.)

Note that my breakouts these days are incredibly small and go away extremely quickly because my body is so healthy. Like for example, if I eat an entire carton of ice cream (which happens more often than I'd like to admit :D ) I will only get a few bumps on my face that are not very noticeable. In the past, when my whole body was not healthy, if I did this, I would get huge cysts and other bad things.

I think you probably need to look at things other than diet, because your diet seems quite good. The carbs could do it, but before you cut those out...How are your vitamin D levels? How about your sleep? Check out the link in my sig to cover all of your bases.

I still have acne , I have no clue what it is

tried cutting out my exercising , fruits , carbs , whey protein I use Isolate atm , and tried all kinds of regimen and nothing seems to work.

Maybe it have something to do with my age currently 16..

BTW could i be possible that i breakout from my earring lol?

I still have acne , I have no clue what it is

tried cutting out my exercising , fruits , carbs , whey protein I use Isolate atm , and tried all kinds of regimen and nothing seems to work.

Maybe it have something to do with my age currently 16..

BTW could i be possible that i breakout from my earring lol?

When you're 16, your hormones are going to be going crazy, so it's even easier to break out than at any other time in your life. My acne was at its worst at that age.

Have you tried the paleo diet?

Highly unlikely that your earring is breaking you out, lol.

Dang. Well I'm about to eat grilled salmon with olive oil and basalmic vinegar with a green pepper and sweet potato. Stop me if this is bad!!!

Dang. Well I'm about to eat grilled salmon with olive oil and basalmic vinegar with a green pepper and sweet potato. Stop me if this is bad!!!

Sounds good to me :dance:

Well it's defiantly difficult to remove all sugars, starches, and carbs. I ended up not eating the sweet potato because I want to end this breakout I'm going through right now. What type of snacks and/or more fulfilling foods to you recommend?? Thanks btw .. I will continue to monitor my progress on this thread.

Well my breakout is still going strong. I can't remember the last time I had to suffer this long. I had about 10-15 damn white heads when I woke up and now I don't want to go to work. 3-4 are cysts. I'm wondering if I have a food allergy. I ate a bunch of raw almonds yesterday, to be honest my face got a little itchy. I'm going to cut them out for a few days and see what happens. It's getting harder and harder to eat now that I'm so limited to basically protein. O well..

Healthoid, how do you handle eating out and traveling? I just had dinner at a nice restaurant and asked that the mashed potatoes be substituted for veggies, and got sauteed snap peas. So now I'm breaking out >:( Have you ever experimented with adding back in dairy? I am scared to try because I don't want to break out but was thinking about kefir. I also just found a source for grassfed, raw, unhomogenized milk/butter/etc.

I ask about traveling because I am going to Europe (london, paris, rome, switzerland) for 2 weeks quite soon. I am going to bring as much paleo food as I can, but I don't know how much I will be able to purchase while I"m there. I'm going on a school trip with my teacher and 20 other kids and we have a tight schedule to stick to so it might be diffiicult to go into a grocery store/meat shop/farmers market and buy something. What do you suggest?

Foods I am planning on bringing are almond butter, a Larabar, some fruit, beef jerky, nuts.

another great paleo food website is chowstalker.com. It's a bunch of recipes from blogs stitched together but everything looks sooo good!! It's all paleo/primal/whatever, with a few exceptions.