Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miffy18

Does moisturizer cause scarring by inhibiting healing?

Okay so I'm very confused on what has been causing my scars for the past year. I am about to be 23 and I have had acne since I was 13. I have been using benzoyl peroxide since age 15 & never really moisturized (i have oily skin). Last year I noticed the benzoyl peroxide would irritate my pimples more so I decided to stop using it and then I began to moisturize with Cetaphil Cream. I used Oxy (benzoyl peroxide) face wash however. In about a month, two of my pimples popped and left two holes in my face - for the FIRST time ever. Ever since then, I have been getting more and more scars. I had even stopped moisturizing my entire face for a few months, but after a pimple would pop I would either put neosporin or A&D ointment on it thinking it might prevent scarring but it didnt....

I have no clue but do you guys think maybe the moisturizer (cetaphil, neosporin, a&d ointment) are getting in the way of naturally healing the acne lesion and therefore causing my skin to form a scar?

do you think if i don't put anything on my skin it will be better?

Guest Timehealsall
Okay so I'm very confused on what has been causing my scars for the past year. I am about to be 23 and I have had acne since I was 13. I have been using benzoyl peroxide since age 15 & never really moisturized (i have oily skin). Last year I noticed the benzoyl peroxide would irritate my pimples more so I decided to stop using it and then I began to moisturize with Cetaphil Cream. I used Oxy (benzoyl peroxide) face wash however. In about a month, two of my pimples popped and left two holes in my face - for the FIRST time ever. Ever since then, I have been getting more and more scars. I had even stopped moisturizing my entire face for a few months, but after a pimple would pop I would either put neosporin or A&D ointment on it thinking it might prevent scarring but it didnt....

I have no clue but do you guys think maybe the moisturizer (cetaphil, neosporin, a&d ointment) are getting in the way of naturally healing the acne lesion and therefore causing my skin to form a scar?

do you think if i don't put anything on my skin it will be better?

i thought the same thing for neosporin, benzoyl peroxide, and acne.org moisturuzer.

not sure what to think though

I'd blame age sooner than I'd blame moisturizer.

Everything I've read about moisture and wound healing reports that moisture has a positive effect on healing.

If you started going to college and stopped eating meals at home, your level of nutrition may have gone down and negatively affected your ability to heal. I only started noticing my scars after starting college, and now I believe both age and poor nutrition were contributing factors.

Guest Timehealsall

Everything I've read about moisture and wound healing reports that moisture has a positive effect on healing.

If you started going to college and stopped eating meals at home, your level of nutrition may have gone down and negatively affected your ability to heal. I only started noticing my scars after starting college, and now I believe both age and poor nutrition were contributing factors.

i dont think using a moisturizer can give you or prevent scars.. unless it has retinols ors omething

Age? :0 wow really? I thought after 30 is when our bodies stop producing as much collagen....

But then again, everyone's bodies differ so there may not be a real "cut-off" yikes!

I was thinking like this: so a lot of the times when my acne goes down there is a hole or scrapish thing from where the whitehead came out. Now if you put something (e.g. moisturizer) between the cut (the hole/scrapish thing) then wouldn't the moisturizer be blocking the cut from sealing back together?

Hmm I've usually noticed my scarring gets worse when I don't use moisturizer. The skin layers just keep scabbing or flaking off, creating a deeper mark and/or a more pigmented mark.

Age? :0 wow really? I thought after 30 is when our bodies stop producing as much collagen....

But then again, everyone's bodies differ so there may not be a real "cut-off" yikes!

I was thinking like this: so a lot of the times when my acne goes down there is a hole or scrapish thing from where the whitehead came out. Now if you put something (e.g. moisturizer) between the cut (the hole/scrapish thing) then wouldn't the moisturizer be blocking the cut from sealing back together?

There's not really a "cut off" age, but a gradual decrease in collagen production AS we get older.

Your lifestyle choices and habits definitely play a role in things as well.

One study in the Archives of Dermatology (Dec 2007) showed identical twins who both lived near each other and both worked the same type of job. The difference: one smoked heavily and the other was a non-smoker. The twin who smoked showed much more severe signs of aging than the non-smoking twin.

Of course, everyone knows that smoking is unhealthy, but this example helps to drive the point home that your lifestyle really effects your skin. Now, it doesn't have to be smoking. It could be sun exposure, lack of sleep, an imbalanced diet, excess stress, etc.

Since you're in your early 20s (an age when big lifestyle changes tend to happen in a person's life), I was just wondering if within the past year or so there could have been other factors at play that might be affecting your skin.

I'm kinda doubtful that moisturizer could do any damage... but if that's really your top suspect, then by all means you should go ahead and test your theory. :)

Well I've never smoked or drank. Maybe it was due to stress?

i was talking about when your skin is kind of like cut open as its healing down, is it bad to put moisturizer then? should i just let it form a scab and then moisturize?

Guest Timehealsall
Hmm I've usually noticed my scarring gets worse when I don't use moisturizer. The skin layers just keep scabbing or flaking off, creating a deeper mark and/or a more pigmented mark.

deeper mark? If a mark is deep, than thats a pitted scar...

im pretty sure the use of B/P weakens the skin and thins it. Therefore it'll be more prone to scarring. I wouldn't recommend using that stuff long term. Moisturized skin promotes better healing. That definitely is not the cause.