Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Timehealsall

The Timehealsall Megathread

I need to learn how to pop a pimple. I have no idea how to do so.

Im almost 100 percent sure that popping pimples is better in preventing scarring than not popping them

My face would beg to differ. Popping is the very, very worst you can do to your face.

Guest Timehealsall

Depending on your skin, it can really cause scars. Best thing to do is to just wait it out, dry it out, or put make up on it.

yea but i heard if you wait it out... ur chance for scarring is even more than if u just pop it.

I got to the stage where regardless of if I picked, I'd scar anyway. I think it was because I destroyed my skin picking and constantly touching it, or at least made it a lot weaker. Waiting it out and picking both give me red marks, but the latter makes it worse.

Depending on your skin, it can really cause scars. Best thing to do is to just wait it out, dry it out, or put make up on it.

yea but i heard if you wait it out... ur chance for scarring is even more than if u just pop it.

I have a question about your pimples. If you wait it out, does it dry out and become a solid dried dark yellow puss? Or is it not solid and still soft? Because I to am wondering the same thing on whether poping is better and wondering if your pimples are like mine where mine Dies up and eventually lose its yellow color and become this little white crystal- like thing on my face and eventually falls off. (wake up in the morning and its gone)

Guest Timehealsall

I got to the stage where regardless of if I picked, I'd scar anyway. I think it was because I destroyed my skin picking and constantly touching it, or at least made it a lot weaker. Waiting it out and picking both give me red marks, but the latter makes it worse.

i doubt that just constantly touching it could destroy your skin (unless you were like scratching at it)

I have a question about your pimples. If you wait it out, does it dry out and become a solid dried dark yellow puss? Or is it not solid and still soft? Because I to am wondering the same thing on whether poping is better and wondering if your pimples are like mine where mine Dies up and eventually lose its yellow color and become this little white crystal- like thing on my face and eventually falls off. (wake up in the morning and its gone)

YES TO THE HELL YES! I thought i was the only one who had this. When i spawn a pimple, it first starts off as a red bump. Than, it turns into an actual pus filled pimple (it looks soft, the pus). After a few days (maybe a week sometimes), the puss dries up into this hard plug/crystal like thing, which falls off. When it falls off, you can see a tiny hole afterwards.

did you ever pop your zits?

Guest Timehealsall

I think this is what happens to my acne:

Some times if you don't pop the zit, the center of it keratinizes leaving a hard mass that is not reabsorded. This can stretch the pore and cause it it for scar tissue around the strethced pore. The pore is no longer exerting much sidwiays force to hold the hard core in and if the surface skin wears off, it can fall out, leaving a pit.

It really depends on your skin. I could pop them and scratch them without ever getting any scar, but I most people get scars.

Wait, based on the 'fact' you mentioned in the first post, it is better to pop your pimples than to treat them with a spot treatment and allow for them to go away with your body's natural healing process? I'm not saying that's true of every pimple. Some really do need to be popped, but I wouldn't rule out waiting on them to heal as an option. The only dilemma is that not popping requires an immense amount of will power which most people do not have.

Guest Timehealsall

Wait, based on the 'fact' you mentioned in the first post, it is better to pop your pimples than to treat them with a spot treatment and allow for them to go away with your body's natural healing process? I'm not saying that's true of every pimple. Some really do need to be popped, but I wouldn't rule out waiting on them to heal as an option. The only dilemma is that not popping requires an immense amount of will power which most people do not have.

err, i didn't mean its a fact. I just think that maybe for some people, their pimples need to be popped. Which pimples do you believe need to be popped?

It really depends on your skin. I could pop them and scratch them without ever getting any scar, but I most people get scars.

lucky you. So when you say you could scratch them, do you mean literally scratch a pimple off your face, and not have it scar?

i doubt that just constantly touching it could destroy your skin (unless you were like scratching at it)

YES TO THE HELL YES! I thought i was the only one who had this. When i spawn a pimple, it first starts off as a red bump. Than, it turns into an actual pus filled pimple (it looks soft, the pus). After a few days (maybe a week sometimes), the puss dries up into this hard plug/crystal like thing, which falls off. When it falls off, you can see a tiny hole afterwards.

I know what you mean, your acne is exactly like mine. There are two difference types though that I experience when my acne Dries up.. 1. they dry up and is only on the surface and eventually you can peel it. 2. when it dries up, part of it is located within the skin still thus peeling is not an option because it will leave a hole. For number 2, it feels as if it heals into the skin and once its healed it has formed/ healed a hole, right? By any chance, are you Asian?

Some times if you don't pop the zit, the center of it keratinizes leaving a hard mass that is not reabsorded. This can stretch the pore and cause it it for scar tissue around the strethced pore. The pore is no longer exerting much sidwiays force to hold the hard core in and if the surface skin wears off, it can fall out, leaving a pit.

Wow.. this is exactly what I was talking about in my upper quote ^

I'm scared this is whats happening to me too where after it dries up into a hard solid peice, it will strech the skin and once it falls off, it will leave a hole.. I guess the formation of the hole will all depend on how deep the puss is into the skin..?

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Guest Timehealsall

I know what you mean, your acne is exactly like mine. There are two difference types though that I experience when my acne Dries up.. 1. they dry up and is only on the surface and eventually you can peel it. 2. when it dries up, part of it is located within the skin still thus peeling is not an option because it will leave a hole. For number 2, it feels as if it heals into the skin and once its healed it has formed/ healed a hole, right? By any chance, are you Asian?

I'm scared this is whats happening to me too where after it dries up into a hard solid peice, it will strech the skin and once it falls off, it will leave a hole.. I guess the formation of the hole will all depend on how deep the puss is into the skin..?

i dont know about holes (Although i do have pores), but my main problem is that the discoloration of the lesion leaves a shallow indent. When the hardened pus comes out, there is a hole (the pore), but the hole closes... all im left with is a shallow indent.

i dont know about holes (Although i do have pores), but my main problem is that the discoloration of the lesion leaves a shallow indent. When the hardened pus comes out, there is a hole (the pore), but the hole closes... all im left with is a shallow indent.

Hmm well i just saw a doctor today and he said that just leaving the pimple is the best choice to go. You can always maybe experiment by trying to pop your pimples ( The right way ) and see if it will leave a indent or not.

I have squeezed and picked the living hell out of my skin over the years and I have no scaring. I have some pigmentation marks which have now almost fully faded (within 3 months) but I have no pitting or other types of scaring.

The only thing that I found with squeezing/popping pimples is that it pretty much spread the infection. I would have one zit in a particular area, I'd squeeze the living daylights out of it before bed and wake up with 4 new ones in the same area. I'm now completely clear after following Dan's regimen for the past five months so squeezing is pretty much a thing of the past, but perhaps another thing to factor in is that perhaps some peoples skin is more prone to scaring than others. Just the same as some people get stretchmarks (another form of scar tissue) and others don't?

If this is the case, then I'm truly thankful that I have skin that isn't prone to scaring because I sure don't deserve to have scar free skin after my harsh treatment of it over the past 20 years.

when it comes down to it, i think everyone's body is different and it also heavily depends how you treat your popped pimple afterwards. I had moderate acne during my teen years,now im 21 and clear with no scarring issues or redness and I used to pop every pimple I had ever gotten. Afterwards I also used this very expensive healing lotion loaded with tons of natural extracts, coconut oil etc and the redness from the zit would be gone within a week. If it ever scabbed, the scab would generally fall off within 2-3 days as well with constant cream application. I actually have beautiful skin on my face now, no one could have ever guessed that I popped hundreds of zits on my face during my pubescent years.

Guest Timehealsall

I have squeezed and picked the living hell out of my skin over the years and I have no scaring. I have some pigmentation marks which have now almost fully faded (within 3 months) but I have no pitting or other types of scaring.

The only thing that I found with squeezing/popping pimples is that it pretty much spread the infection. I would have one zit in a particular area, I'd squeeze the living daylights out of it before bed and wake up with 4 new ones in the same area. I'm now completely clear after following Dan's regimen for the past five months so squeezing is pretty much a thing of the past, but perhaps another thing to factor in is that perhaps some peoples skin is more prone to scaring than others. Just the same as some people get stretchmarks (another form of scar tissue) and others don't?

If this is the case, then I'm truly thankful that I have skin that isn't prone to scaring because I sure don't deserve to have scar free skin after my harsh treatment of it over the past 20 years.

what type of acne did you have? Were they huge inflamed lesions? Or just tiny pimples?

when it comes down to it, i think everyone's body is different and it also heavily depends how you treat your popped pimple afterwards. I had moderate acne during my teen years,now im 21 and clear with no scarring issues or redness and I used to pop every pimple I had ever gotten. Afterwards I also used this very expensive healing lotion loaded with tons of natural extracts, coconut oil etc and the redness from the zit would be gone within a week. If it ever scabbed, the scab would generally fall off within 2-3 days as well with constant cream application. I actually have beautiful skin on my face now, no one could have ever guessed that I popped hundreds of zits on my face during my pubescent years.

Which very expensive healing lotion did you use? Do you think using polysporin is a good idea?

I did a test: had 2 pimples same size, I popped one and let other heal naturally. The popped pimple healed 2x faster and had the same amount of leftover hyperpigmentation. I don't have skin that scars and my pimples are very small in nature. However, I'm like a surgeon when I pop a pimple. I only do it after showering. I swab the pimple with alcohol and I use a sterilized extractor. I then swab again with alcohol. I also follow the "101 hormonal cycle and skin", meaning never pop pimples in the 3rd and 4th week of your cycle. Only pop in the 1st or 2nd week.

Guest Timehealsall

I was wondering, but is it true that most people bathed in cold water (i.e. in the 1600s 1500s maybe even before)? I mean, people probably showered once a month (if that), and i am assuming since most people could not afford a bathroom etc, they most likely showered in a pond or river or lake. Isn't river/pond/lake water cold?

Maybe nature's intention is for us to take cold showers, not hot ones (or warm)?

Guest Timehealsall

Do scabs heal better when they are wet or dry? What constitutes as a scab being "wet" or "moist?" For example, i wash my face 1-2x a day. If i have a scab or few scabs on my face, and if i wash my face with water ( i don't use any cleansers), does that mean the scab will be wet? Obviously the water will dry after a minute or so... but does the water itself have any affect on the scab, healing wise?

You are partially correct. There are hot springs that people loved to bath in as well, specially in northern Europe and modern day Russia, and the US. Also, many lakes believe it or not are warm during the summer months, not hot, but warm. Lets also not forget the ocean dwelling people, they bathed in the seas/oceans, which can either be cold, warm, or hot. I would say on average though that yes, most people bathed once a month in cold/cool lakes/rivers. Before the 1950s people only washed their hair with shampoo once a month if that, it was considered a treat.

Hot water can be bad if you have acne or rosacea, because it can dry out your skin. If you are sensitive to hot water, or your skin is not functioning properly, as in shedding on its own and not creating dead skin build up, avoid hot showers. HOWEVER, hot showers are good for removal of excess dead skin build up, so it is important to take a hot shower every once in a while.

Room temp water is probably the best, if you won't get a chill from it. I traveled through Asia where it was really hot and most of the showers didn't have heat, but they weren't ice cold either. It felt pretty good, but I missed hot showers. I would always, always take a hot shower over a cool one, even if it was 100 degrees out. It's never negatively effected my skin.

Guest Timehealsall

Ok, i know i am a veteran member... and i should know better than this, but something really bothers me.

I am not sure what constitutes as irritation when it comes to acne. On average, what exactly causes irritation?

I understand that certain chemicals (topicals, shampoos etc), can irritate the skin. Back-packs (if u have body acne), can irritate the skin.

But what about when you are washing your face (not with soap), but with water. I can't seem to figure out if this irritates my skin, or if i was bound to have certain redness/acne regardless.

For example, if i am showering or washing my face, i usually grab some bottled water (better than tap water), and pour on my face. I do this while in the shower.

After i poured water on my face, i usually in a circular gliding motion (or up down motion), massage my face with my fingers. I basically just glide my fingers over my skin back and forth for a few minutes. Reason i do this? On top of my acne (inflamed acne, consists of 8-10 pimples), i have seborreheic dermatitis, which is basically dead flaky skin all over my face (no i don't use any acne products). The only way to get rid of the dead skin is to gently massage/rub it off. I have tried products in the past to control it (i.e. seb derm shampoos and ointments), but these things just ruin my skin.

Basically, it is a dilemma. Leaving the dead skin on my face can only cause problems... but if simple massaging/rubbing the dead skin off the face irritates it... than what do i do?

The worst thing is i get the worst dead skin on areas where i am most acne prone.

thanks guys

Guest Timehealsall

You are partially correct. There are hot springs that people loved to bath in as well, specially in northern Europe and modern day Russia, and the US. Also, many lakes believe it or not are warm during the summer months, not hot, but warm. Lets also not forget the ocean dwelling people, they bathed in the seas/oceans, which can either be cold, warm, or hot. I would say on average though that yes, most people bathed once a month in cold/cool lakes/rivers. Before the 1950s people only washed their hair with shampoo once a month if that, it was considered a treat.

Hot water can be bad if you have acne or rosacea, because it can dry out your skin. If you are sensitive to hot water, or your skin is not functioning properly, as in shedding on its own and not creating dead skin build up, avoid hot showers. HOWEVER, hot showers are good for removal of excess dead skin build up, so it is important to take a hot shower every once in a while.

i have been to the beach many times in the summer, and when you enter the water, even on a burning hot day, the water is always cold at first, until your body adjusts to it. Than it feels i guess normal or slightly cold.

yes i agree that hot water is bad if u have rosacea/acne... but what about warm water?

Hot water isn't necessarily bad for everyone with acne, however, it can be for people with very ultra sensitive skin. Warm/cool/cold water should have no ill effects on acne. When I shower (I no longer have acne, but have always showered the same way), I start with hot water and before I am done I transition to cold water, it feels better when I leave the shower, and my body temperature isn't crazy hot when I get out.

That is a strange question. I doubt it would affect it at all. Just as long as the skin is healthy (nutrition and hydration) then it's fine. Topical water won't make a difference in the skin. Moisturizer would if you want to try that, but a scab won't form in the first place if you do this and it will look uglier while healing.