Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nycstl

NEED HELP WITH THE DREADED DRY LIPS

I know EVERYONE gets the dry lips and my son is no exception but I'm trying to find out what worked best for everyone. He puts a lot of regular vaseline on at night and during the day carries aquaphor lip therapy and neutregena and burts bees lip balms. Even with all of this his lips crack, bleed, look swollen and shinyALL THE TIME. Has anyone found something better to deal with this?

It can be very hard to get past the dry lips no matter what you put on them.

Having said that here is another idea for something you can try. I absolutely love this stuff on my lips.

100% Cocoa Butter like this one.

For me, aquifer(sp?) was a lifesaver! I tried a lot for my dry lips and this stuff never failed me. Carry a tube of it at all times and just put tons on at night before bed. I'm sure some people have drier lips than others, but as long as I applied this all the time, the dryness wasn't too big of an issue. Also, I'm not sure how long your son has been on accutane, but the first 2 months were definitely the worst for my lips. I think it takes some time for your body to adjust and it probably will get better if he is just starting out.

Aquaphor works for me. But what's most important is to have it on ALL the time. Sometimes I put it every 30 minutes, if I don't my lips would start cracking really bad.So remind your son to put lip balm on as often as he can.Good luck!

i find that my lips feel super dry and tight when I don't exfoliate them. I put a good bit of vaseline at night (generous amount.. way more than normal) when I wake up in the morning, I take a washcloth, wet it with warm water and literally wipe all of the dead, flaky skin off my lips along with the vaseline. I've always had a problem with dry lips and this is still working for me even while I'm on accutane.

Thanks for all the replies. He constantly carries and applies lip stuff I was just wondering which ones everyone uses. I will try the ones suggested that he hasn't used, so tyvm. @cowgirl, he is just about at 3 months and his face is clearing big time these last couple weeks but his lips are terrible. always something ;) soon this will (hopefully) be behind him. Thanks again

Thanks for all the replies. He constantly carries and applies lip stuff I was just wondering which ones everyone uses. I will try the ones suggested that he hasn't used, so tyvm. @cowgirl, he is just about at 3 months and his face is clearing big time these last couple weeks but his lips are terrible. always something ;) soon this will (hopefully) be behind him. Thanks again

I actually found Vaseline Lip Therapy to work better for me than Aquaphor (It's also $3 cheaper to boot!) I also used Burt's Bees if I was out and didn't want my lips all shiny. BTW, remind him to wipe off the excess Vaseline or Aquaphor so his lips don't look all wet and strange. It's good that his face is clearing. Don't worry about the lips too much though. I'm only about 10 days off my 80mg 4 month course and my lips are returning to normal.

I hope your son's dry lip problem has improved. It can be a real pain waiting to find something to help, considering how painful the chapped lips are. I was ready to buy every possible working solution myself; money became no object!

Anyhow, if you are looking for a solution, here are the BEST I have heard of and experienced myself:

Aquaphor: You said you used this but I just wanted to mention that the one the Derm gives you doesn't do too much, but is decent as a consistent thing to put on your lips when they get dry (not while they are just not super moist, they have to be dry)

OR

Jack Black's intense therapy lip balm from Sephora: This is $7 a tube but is very efficient as repairing and giving some moisture to your lips throughout the day.

IN ADDITION

Rosebud Salvefrom Sephora is superb at repairing. This isn't something to consistently use, more like when there's damage. This was a miracle over-night cure for me when my lips completely peeled. Many people say this helps in general for Accutane-related dryness, but that's not my experience.

FINALLY

Medical-Grade Lanolin: This should be the cure. Yes, this is the ointment nursing mothers use when they get sore or cracked nipples, making it safe in small quantities on your lips and extremely good at repairing and moisturizing. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's all natural. This is 100% worth a try for you... one $7-10 tube will last you years. Only use the smallest possible amount as it melts from your body heat. I would start out using this once or twice a day so it develops almost a "pattern" with the body. The immediate relief makes it tempting to reapply all the time, but resist the urge. It seems to help better the other way.

Best of luck to you and your son!

I hope your son's dry lip problem has improved. It can be a real pain waiting to find something to help, considering how painful the chapped lips are. I was ready to buy every possible working solution myself; money became no object!

Anyhow, if you are looking for a solution, here are the BEST I have heard of and experienced myself:

Aquaphor: You said you used this but I just wanted to mention that the one the Derm gives you doesn't do too much, but is decent as a consistent thing to put on your lips when they get dry (not while they are just not super moist, they have to be dry)

OR

Jack Black's intense therapy lip balm from Sephora: This is $7 a tube but is very efficient as repairing and giving some moisture to your lips throughout the day.

IN ADDITION

Rosebud Salvefrom Sephora is superb at repairing. This isn't something to consistently use, more like when there's damage. This was a miracle over-night cure for me when my lips completely peeled. Many people say this helps in general for Accutane-related dryness, but that's not my experience.

FINALLY

Medical-Grade Lanolin: This should be the cure. Yes, this is the ointment nursing mothers use when they get sore or cracked nipples, making it safe in small quantities on your lips and extremely good at repairing and moisturizing. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's all natural. This is 100% worth a try for you... one $7-10 tube will last you years. Only use the smallest possible amount as it melts from your body heat. I would start out using this once or twice a day so it develops almost a "pattern" with the body. The immediate relief makes it tempting to reapply all the time, but resist the urge. It seems to help better the other way.

Best of luck to you and your son

The Medical Grade Lanolin, I see they make it in a lip balm http://www.amazon.com/100-Pure-Anhydrous-L...ef=pd_sbs_hpc_4

Is this the right stuff?

OR

IN ADDITION

FINALLY

Best of luck to you and your son

The Medical Grade Lanolin, I see they make it in a lip balm

Is this the right stuff?

This seems good too, as they don't add any chemicals to it. I can't see what's in it though or even the quality of the Lanolin. This would definitely be more convenient to carry. I'd still recommend just going to a drugstore and buying pure Lanolin for about the same price. That should work better.

By the way, if you're embarrassed to ask where it is, it should be in the baby section, closer to maternal aids. This is definitely worth it.. don't forget to post the results! :)

Edited by teen dave