Notifications
Clear all

Dermaroller DIY advice!

MemberMember
(@ilovosyrup)

Posted : 06/11/2011 5:05 pm

Hi,

I am posting today to seek your advice and personal experiences in the use and knowledge of Dermarollers in the treatement of acne scarring. I am very interested in using dermarolling as an effective way of tackling my own acne scarring I acquired many years ago.

Before I continue Ill explain my own background in brief. I had developed moderate to occasionally sever nodulistic acne when I was about 16 years old. I tried many ineffective orally taken antibiotics which left me with no significant results. I took the next leap of faith and consulted a dermatologist. He put me on a course of Roaccutane (Accutane in the States) for around 3-6 months if I recall correctly. This drug worked wonderfully well and stopped my condition in its tracks, although the side effects i experienced were horrible eg. slight hair loss, dry skin, lips eyes etc and my ability to heal naturally was diminished!! I do believe the latter was a contributing factor to my present day scarring...

Moving on from then, Im now 25 and taking positive steps to improve the marks im left with. The most destructive part about it all is the phsycological impact they have had on me.

Dermarolling....

Ive done a fair amount of reading/research/talking to aesthetic nurses, doctors and practice secretaries about all the different treatments...peels, lasers etc etc. Ive sumed it all up and CIT dermarolling seems to stand out in the crowd. The pros seem to outway the cons in alot of ways, when compared to most other alternatives. The main reason has got to be that the skin layers are never "destroyed" via ablative methods ie. Lasers.

Ive consulted a particular aesthetic doctor in London, who has already performed subcision on both of my cheeks. The pain was very unsettling and The was about 1 week ago and the swelling & bruising (only very slight) has subsided completely. The results have not been spectacular, as my scarring might possibly be of too shallow in depth for this type of treatement to have a significant effect! I asked the doctor this question and he stated that there is no limitation in depth for this treatement to have a positive effect. He stated his aim was to "free up" some of the underlying skin tissue prior to commencing a second series of treatments ie. Dermarolling, using the gold standard UK - Genuine Dermaroller.

Im considering performing my own treatment at home using a dermaroller, provided anyone can answer the following for me:

1.) What brand/type/model of dermaroller in the UK would you reccomend I purchase? I have found the Aura Derma on Amazon.co.uk ...see link below...

The feedback seems pretty promising on this product. Have any of you used this or would you be able say whether it would be money well spent if I purchase one on these?

2.) Can you recommend a good numbing cream? Ive heard about EMLA cream...are there any other types out there that could be stronger if need be?

3.) Can you recommend any good post treatment creams, for boosting my skins recovery? copper peptides?

If ive missed anything, please feel free to add anything I need to be aware of!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to your replies with any assortment of advice!

Syrup

MemberMember
(@mr_sphinx)

Posted : 06/12/2011 8:57 am

I'd be interested to keep an eye on this thread as you seem to be in the same position as me with regards to a lot of things: age, history etc (although I'll admit you've been more pro-active than I have). I'm not sure about you but I've found a lot of thread here are more geared towards to members in the states, what to buy, where from etc which doesn't apply over here in the UK.

*That's not a 'dig' at this forum by any means! just stating what I'd noticed thus far*

Hinbe25, thanks for the useful info too, although having just ordered a 1.5mm roller I'm a little disappointed to hear that stamps can be better, hmmm.

Can you give any advice on which brand of copper peptides to use? and/or where to buy them from?

What's your opinion on using Bio Oil after stamping/rolling? I've used it plenty of times before and my skin is fine with it.

One last thing, how is it best to steralise the roller/stam after use?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@hinbe25)

Posted : 06/12/2011 4:25 pm

I'd be interested to keep an eye on this thread as you seem to be in the same position as me with regards to a lot of things: age, history etc (although I'll admit you've been more pro-active than I have). I'm not sure about you but I've found a lot of thread here are more geared towards to members in the states, what to buy, where from etc which doesn't apply over here in the UK.

*That's not a 'dig' at this forum by any means! just stating what I'd noticed thus far*

Hinbe25, thanks for the useful info too, although having just ordered a 1.5mm roller I'm a little disappointed to hear that stamps can be better, hmmm.

Can you give any advice on which brand of copper peptides to use? and/or where to buy them from?

What's your opinion on using Bio Oil after stamping/rolling? I've used it plenty of times before and my skin is fine with it.

Thanks

I read a lot about what, if any, topicals (vitamin a, e, copper peptides, ect.) to use after rolling/stamping and I found mixed advice. Some doctors and sites said that what you put on after was practically as important as the rolling , but other said not to put anything on your skin because its being absorded directly into the blood stream at very concentrated levels and is bad for your body and stresses your skin. They also said it really doesn't help that much and its more important to focus on what your putting into your body during these times, than on your skin, ie. eating right, lots of water, and oral vitamins.

I am not sure wich is best, but I when the route of no topicals just because my skin is sooo sensitve and any kind of oil is really out of the question for me. I have a lot of skin allergies and most of the product I'm not allergic to still seem to cause me acne. So, trying out new topicals on my face isn't very atractive to me. BP is the only thing that works to control my acne, but fortunatley my skin has gotten better so I can go off BP for a few days while I do my stamping or peeling without my skin freaking out. However, if I stay off more than a week my skin starts acting up again.

Sorry I can't help more with that question, but just stamping and keeping my face clean after has really given me some wonderful results after 3 stampings. The first time is a learning experience, so your results might not be as great, but after you get the hang of it, its a exciting process. I have tried so many things on my scars and this has been the only method that noticeably works. I have even had Co2 resurfacing and fraxel restore and they only damaged my skin (hypo & hyper pigmentaion, fat and elasticity loss, destroyed the texture of my skin in all the areas that didn't have scars) and caused some more scars. Lasers are awful. Derma stamps really work.

As for sterilization, I just soak my stamp/roller in the highest percent rubbing alcohol I can find (70-90%) for 5 min and let it dry for about 10 min before I use it. Then when I am done I rinse it with really hot water to get all the blood off and then soak it in alcohol again. Let it air dry COMPLETELY in a place where its not going to get knocked off and damaged. I always stamp at night, so I just let mine dry overnight and then return it to its case in the morning. I also wipe down all suface that I am using with alcohol as well.

I know you're in the UK, but all the stuff I use I buy online, and I am pretty sure you could have them shipped to the UK. I know for certain a couple of the people I buy from ship to Europe and the UK.

And if you go the way of rolling you're going to need to use pressure, its going to bleed, and its going to hurt. I'm not trying to discorage you, I have just seen so many sites and people claiming that it shouldn't bleed, not to use pressure and it shouldn't hurt. That's crap! If you want it to work you need to break up the scar tissue and cause the skin to reheal and you can't do that without pressure, some blood, and pain. Sorry, but some of us have real scars that we're trying to fix and not just buying the newest gadget to give ourselves a little self-estem boost.

That said, with rollers use some pressure but don't get too carried away and stay close to the suggested passes. More can cause break-outs, longer healing, and, worst case, tiny little holes, like enlarged pores (but this is only going to happen if you go crazy on your skin).

I still suggest stamps over rolling. I really think they are easier your skin because they go straight in and out, and not at an angle angle, they work much better and hurt less, but good luck with whatever you decide!

MemberMember
(@mr_sphinx)

Posted : 06/13/2011 2:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it :)

I've ordered a roller which I'll try first but it's no great shakes to get a stamp too, I totally understand what you're saying about the angle the needles go in/out at, obvious when you think about it.

No pain no gain, so that's not a problem.

The next little thing I'd love someone to confirm is about copper peptides, I'll try searching again but there is a lot of conflicting info.

MemberMember
(@ilovosyrup)

Posted : 06/13/2011 3:23 pm

Thanks

I read a lot about what, if any, topicals (vitamin a, e, copper peptides, ect.) to use after rolling/stamping and I found mixed advice. Some doctors and sites said that what you put on after was practically as important as the rolling , but other said not to put anything on your skin because its being absorded directly into the blood stream at very concentrated levels and is bad for your body and stresses your skin. They also said it really doesn't help that much and its more important to focus on what your putting into your body during these times, than on your skin, ie. eating right, lots of water, and oral vitamins.

I am not sure wich is best, but I when the route of no topicals just because my skin is sooo sensitve and any kind of oil is really out of the question for me. I have a lot of skin allergies and most of the product I'm not allergic to still seem to cause me acne. So, trying out new topicals on my face isn't very atractive to me. BP is the only thing that works to control my acne, but fortunatley my skin has gotten better so I can go off BP for a few days while I do my stamping or peeling without my skin freaking out. However, if I stay off more than a week my skin starts acting up again.

Sorry I can't help more with that question, but just stamping and keeping my face clean after has really given me some wonderful results after 3 stampings. The first time is a learning experience, so your results might not be as great, but after you get the hang of it, its a exciting process. I have tried so many things on my scars and this has been the only method that noticeably works. I have even had Co2 resurfacing and fraxel restore and they only damaged my skin (hypo & hyper pigmentaion, fat and elasticity loss, destroyed the texture of my skin in all the areas that didn't have scars) and caused some more scars. Lasers are awful. Derma stamps really work.

As for sterilization, I just soak my stamp/roller in the highest percent rubbing alcohol I can find (70-90%) for 5 min and let it dry for about 10 min before I use it. Then when I am done I rinse it with really hot water to get all the blood off and then soak it in alcohol again. Let it air dry COMPLETELY in a place where its not going to get knocked off and damaged. I always stamp at night, so I just let mine dry overnight and then return it to its case in the morning. I also wipe down all suface that I am using with alcohol as well.

I know you're in the UK, but all the stuff I use I buy online, and I am pretty sure you could have them shipped to the UK. I know for certain a couple of the people I buy from ship to Europe and the UK.

And if you go the way of rolling you're going to need to use pressure, its going to bleed, and its going to hurt. I'm not trying to discorage you, I have just seen so many sites and people claiming that it shouldn't bleed, not to use pressure and it shouldn't hurt. That's crap! If you want it to work you need to break up the scar tissue and cause the skin to reheal and you can't do that without pressure, some blood, and pain. Sorry, but some of us have real scars that we're trying to fix and not just buying the newest gadget to give ourselves a little self-estem boost.

That said, with rollers use some pressure but don't get too carried away and stay close to the suggested passes. More can cause break-outs, longer healing, and, worst case, tiny little holes, like enlarged pores (but this is only going to happen if you go crazy on your skin).

I still suggest stamps over rolling. I really think they are easier your skin because they go straight in and out, and not at an angle angle, they work much better and hurt less, but good luck with whatever you decide!

Hinbe25 thank you for taking the time in making such a great response.

I have recently ordered both the 1.5mm roller & the stamp to gain the best of both. This is what i have ordered (currency in GBP sterling)

1 x 5 special single needles for intensive scar & wrinkle treatment = i5.733 x Copper peptide facial mask = i5.731 x Vitamin C (20 g / 0.7 oz) = i1.911 x Vitamin C serum bottle = i4.451 x Infadolan (vit. A & D ointment), 30 g tube = i5.731 x 1.5 mm dermastamp = i10.821 x 1.5 mm dermaroller = i22.27

I appreciate your honesty in the advice you have given. I was considering the Co2 laser route myself, but I am so glad my mind has changed.

I wish you the very best with your own treatments and I can only hope I can share the same success story as you have.

Best regards

Syrup

MemberMember
(@hopeful503)

Posted : 10/01/2013 2:33 pm

Hello. I just used my 1.5 mm dermaroller for the first time on Satuday morning (today is Tuesday) and I'm noticing the area on my forehead and in between my eyes is bumpy and has a rough texture. It's not an infection or an allergic reaction or anything but just a bumpy texture. Is this normal? I've been goggling it for days and haven't read much about rough skin texture the days following rolling. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm already insecure about my skin texture and I hope I didn't make it worse. Thanks so much.

MemberMember
(@ericb12)

Posted : 04/22/2017 1:18 pm

Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase quality dermarollers? The last one I purchased was from ebay and did not seem to be made well.
Thanks.