Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nep321

I think I may have found my acne cure: STRESS

I am 27 years old, male and have had acne since I was 14. Throughout my teenage years, it was moderately bad on my face and severe on my upper back, but not as extreme as some people. When I was 20, I began using Dan's Regimen religiously for two years on the face, and saw major improvement by age 22. I stopped the Regimen and since then, I've only been using his gentle cleanser once daily at night when I shower. I believe that prolonged usage of BP and even moisturizer is harmful to the skin.

Like many of you, I have tried EVERYTHING! Nothing was able to cure the acne permanently. I saw five dermatologists over the years, who only pushed pills on me, which didnt' work. I tried holistic methods, such as colonic irrigations, probiotics, fish oil, and many other vitamin supplements and "natural" methods of getting rid of acne. None of them worked. So what have I done to improve my skin?

Well, I did make major changes to my diet about three years ago, and stuck with it since. I do believe that diet impacts acne, but is only a small part of the whole equation. Basically, I avoid white breads, all junk food, oily foods, red meats, pork, soda, coffee, alcohol and dessert foods. I do believe that this helps maintain less breakouts and keeps them to a minimum.

HOWEVER, I do have one observation over the years. I am beginning to believe that stress, anxiety, pessimism, anger, attitude, and all that emotional stuff plays a significant role in causing acne. Here's why....

Back when I was 23 years old, I had just quit my extremely stressful accounting job in NYC. I was unemployed for a couple months and just trying to relax and enjoy life (while job hunting, of course). I moved back to Connecticut and lived in my parents' house in the country. During this whole time, my face was the CLEAREST it ever has been in 9 years. I wanted to just "lock in" the clearness forever! But shortly after, I found a new job, and the acne problems came back again!

Here I am now, three years later. Just this April (2 months ago) I did an experiment with myself. I made the decision to do the following things:

Stop getting depressed and upset about my acne.

Have a positive attitude in any situation in life, every day, regardless of whatever situation I face.

Try to breath easy, relax and not be so nervous and anxious all the time.

Have a "whatever" attitude and not think about things too much.

Would you believe, that from following the above guidelines, my acne has almost completely cleared up on my face? Literally within 3 days, it was 95% clear, up from about 70%. The clear face lasted for 4 weeks as I continued to be mentally positive at all times. Then, on the 5th week, I had to fly down to Atlanta for business training. I became so stressed out from all the airport travel, car rental, hotelling, etc. And guess what? Several new pimples grew on my face within days.

I am beginning to believe that acne sufferers may have one thing in common: One more more areas of our emotional or mental health is suffering. In fact, among all of the acne sufferers I know of exhibit one or more of the following behaviors: (1) feeling depressed too often for whatever reason, (2) being pessimistic about life in general, (3) having occasional breakdowns from being angered about something going on in their life or having a nervous breakdown about the acne itself, (4) being too fast paced, not relaxing and making things a bigger deal than they really are, and (5) feeling nervous or anxious around other people or in public settings.

Unfortunately, I suffer from ALL five of the above listed items, and have since I was 14 years old. Does anyone else notice these behaviors/symptoms in other acne sufferers or even yourself? It's almost like a cycle that never ends.

I will be earnestly trying to resolve all five of the aforementioned problems I face and see if I get permanent results. Healing the back will be a much longer process, however.

I am 27 years old, male and have had acne since I was 14. Throughout my teenage years, it was moderately bad on my face and severe on my upper back, but not as extreme as some people. When I was 20, I began using Dan's Regimen religiously for two years on the face, and saw major improvement by age 22. I stopped the Regimen and since then, I've only been using his gentle cleanser once daily at night when I shower. I believe that prolonged usage of BP and even moisturizer is harmful to the skin.

Like many of you, I have tried EVERYTHING! Nothing was able to cure the acne permanently. I saw five dermatologists over the years, who only pushed pills on me, which didnt' work. I tried holistic methods, such as colonic irrigations, probiotics, fish oil, and many other vitamin supplements and "natural" methods of getting rid of acne. None of them worked. So what have I done to improve my skin?

Well, I did make major changes to my diet about three years ago, and stuck with it since. I do believe that diet impacts acne, but is only a small part of the whole equation. Basically, I avoid white breads, all junk food, oily foods, red meats, pork, soda, coffee, alcohol and dessert foods. I do believe that this helps maintain less breakouts and keeps them to a minimum.

HOWEVER, I do have one observation over the years. I am beginning to believe that stress, anxiety, pessimism, anger, attitude, and all that emotional stuff plays a significant role in causing acne. Here's why....

Back when I was 23 years old, I had just quit my extremely stressful accounting job in NYC. I was unemployed for a couple months and just trying to relax and enjoy life (while job hunting, of course). I moved back to Connecticut and lived in my parents' house in the country. During this whole time, my face was the CLEAREST it ever has been in 9 years. I wanted to just "lock in" the clearness forever! But shortly after, I found a new job, and the acne problems came back again!

Here I am now, three years later. Just this April (2 months ago) I did an experiment with myself. I made the decision to do the following things:

Stop getting depressed and upset about my acne.

Have a positive attitude in any situation in life, every day, regardless of whatever situation I face.

Try to breath easy, relax and not be so nervous and anxious all the time.

Have a "whatever" attitude and not think about things too much.

Would you believe, that from following the above guidelines, my acne has almost completely cleared up on my face? Literally within 3 days, it was 95% clear, up from about 70%. The clear face lasted for 4 weeks as I continued to be mentally positive at all times. Then, on the 5th week, I had to fly down to Atlanta for business training. I became so stressed out from all the airport travel, car rental, hotelling, etc. And guess what? Several new pimples grew on my face within days.

I am beginning to believe that acne sufferers may have one thing in common: One more more areas of our emotional or mental health is suffering. In fact, among all of the acne sufferers I know of exhibit one or more of the following behaviors: (1) feeling depressed too often for whatever reason, (2) being pessimistic about life in general, (3) having occasional breakdowns from being angered about something going on in their life or having a nervous breakdown about the acne itself, (4) being too fast paced, not relaxing and making things a bigger deal than they really are, and (5) feeling nervous or anxious around other people or in public settings.

Unfortunately, I suffer from ALL five of the above listed items, and have since I was 14 years old. Does anyone else notice these behaviors/symptoms in other acne sufferers or even yourself? It's almost like a cycle that never ends.

I will be earnestly trying to resolve all five of the aforementioned problems I face and see if I get permanent results. Healing the back will be a much longer process, however.

Same and same! I am naturally a very 'stressed' person. I grew up in a stressful household and have carried that on as an adult. I have also noticed acne and stress go hand in hand for me. I just do my best to not get worked up about things that aren't worth it, and I find getting good quality sleep really helps too. Plus vitamin d! I find it has made me a less negative person. Still, when I do let my self get stressed out I find a breakout soon follows.

Yes, exactly! I have generally been a negative person over the past 13 years alongside having acne. Pessimistic, easily agitated, hot tempered, feeling of depression and all that stuff. I am really going to try to tackle this issue even further and hopefully clear up ASAP!

Easier said than done, but yes I agree that there's a psychosomatic aspect to acne. In the future, we will cure acne with the help of a psychologist.