Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
austinda

Starting the Regimen tonight! Any tips? (PICTURES)

Okay, so I'm starting the regimen tonight! I am a 21 year old female, and I am getting married at the end of August! I have used BP (the neutrogena kind) for awhile, but not to this extent. I have been on accutane TWICE, and yes, I still get acne (though not as bad) I just started birth control again (the brand is Lutera) and that seemed to make me breakout quite bad, but it has died down some after the first month. I hope my body regulates here in the next few months.

Right now I have clogged little pores by my nose and on my cheeks, three cysts on my left cheek, and one pimple forming on my forehead...not too bad, but still a pain! :boohoo:

Here are the products I am using:

Clean & Clear Oil Free Cleanser

Dan's BP

Cetaphil Lotion

I am hesitant in incorporating AHA, because it tends to give me massive blackheads for some reason. Since I have been using BP for about a year, I put a little more BP on my face than most would starting out. I am letting the BP dry as we speak! :D

I really hope this does the trick, nothing has worked for me long term AT ALL. Proactiv worked for a short while, minocycline worked for a while, accutane the first time around about 4 months, accutane the second time about 2 years (better), and no home remedies (such as lemon, sea salt, egg mask, aspirin mask, etc.) ever seemed to work. All things seem to work AT FIRST, and then I think my skin becomes immune to it all :think:

If any of you are on the regimen now, do you have any tips? Advice? I am hoping to be semi clear by the end of August so I look at least okay for my wedding day! :D

I will keep my progress updated here....and maybe some pictures.

Thanks all! ;)

Edited by austinda

Day 1: Morning

So my face looked good this morning after last nights first BP and moisturizer combo. Until I washed it. It was very red and flaky. My pimples were about the same. However, does anyone have problems when they put their moisturizer on after the BP? I felt like the moisturizer was taking the BP off? I'm using Cetaphil...maybe its just the lotion? I waited 20-30 minutes before I applied the lotiion, so I'm confused.

Thanks!

P.S. I will post pictures from this morning after work! :D

Day 1: Night

Alright, so my face is pretty much the same. I went on a run and played some basketball today. Cooled off for about 30 minutes or so, and washed my face. It stung a little after taking the BP off, but nothing unbearable (but something I am definitely not used to!) I will post pictures in a bit. I am watching Sofia Coppola's newest movie 'Somewhere' with Elle Fanning and Stephen Dorff. Anyone seen it? It's pretty good so far :)

Also, I got the lotion/BP thing figured out. I think I just wasn't applying the lotion slow enough. I am graduating college tomorrow! So, fingers crossed that my skin looks somewhat okay! haha :D

Pictures in a bit!

(PS--I like how I am pretty much talking to myself here, but this log is mostly for me anyways I suppose, ;))

Day 1: Night

Alright, so my face is pretty much the same. I went on a run and played some basketball today. Cooled off for about 30 minutes or so, and washed my face. It stung a little after taking the BP off, but nothing unbearable (but something I am definitely not used to!) I will post pictures in a bit. I am watching Sofia Coppola's newest movie 'Somewhere' with Elle Fanning and Stephen Dorff. Anyone seen it? It's pretty good so far :)

Also, I got the lotion/BP thing figured out. I think I just wasn't applying the lotion slow enough. I am graduating college tomorrow! So, fingers crossed that my skin looks somewhat okay! haha :D

Pictures in a bit!

(PS--I like how I am pretty much talking to myself here, but this log is mostly for me anyways I suppose, ;))

Well dan recommends you do not wash your face after working out. Simply pat your dry and let it sit. I understand this goes against kind of natural logic to wash off sweat, but he says that you shouldn't wash more than twice a day, or do the regimen more than twice a day. So doing it in the morning, and then washing it off after exercise wouldn't be good. I'm also tempted to go against this advice though, because I work out in a gym with no air conditioning, and it's about 90 degrees in there at the minimum this time of year. I run on the treadmill for a mile and my face won't stop sweating, even while I'm lifting. Bottomline: it's best to plan your workout around the regimen, and do the regimen right after your workout. However, that's a pain.

ALSO, I strongly recommend you follow his advice on starting to build up the BP slowly. But I don't believe he recommends the correct amount of BP. I feel like 2 pumps is way too much, much less 3. I think 1 pump for girls would be enough, and a 1.5 pumps for guys. If you have your wedding in august, the goal would be for your skin to look as nice as possible, so try to avoid irritating your skin and getting dry/red.

I also use cetaphil lotion, and I really like it, but add in jojoba oil for extra moisturizing. Jojoba oil feels amazing and really works.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, well I'm at two pumps right now...and it's not so bad really. However, if it starts to be bad I will go down to one pump. Well, I didn't wash it off really (bad choice of words?), lol I worked out and now I'm going to bed...so 12 hours from when I did it this morning. I try to work out when I know I'm going to bed :)

I am considering doing only one pump in the morning though?

Yes, I have two tips. One is to follow the regimen absolutely to the letter. Watch those vids over and over if necessary lol

The second is to use the acne.org BP. Or any other, if it exists, so long as it's in gel form. That's the key, I think. The gel properly absorbs, whereas other topicals tend to dry up, sit on the surface of the skin, flake, probably end up doing more harm than good in some cases.

Day 2: Morning

Well...pimples look the same. Except one of my clogged pores on my cheek has gotten pretty big ugh...I'm graduating today too :/ oh well. The dryness is okay...nothing super bad yet. No other updates here.

The main thing is to have patience and to not modify the regimen at all in the early stages. I still get dry skin at times from using BP but the initial irritation subsided after about a week.

I definitely need the full two pumps myself, sometimes a little more. I've tried one pump or two pumps but using it only once a day and that always ends in a breakout, though mostly only minor.

If you're one of the (large) number of people who will be helped by using the regimen, you find that results spur you to be fastidious. One of the best feelings for me was the day I could go out and know that there was no blemishes, zits, marks, scabs or problem areas at all on my face. It felt like I'd been released from a prison sentence.

For me, it took about six weeks before I stopped having any new eruptions at all. And about three months before everything that was active when I started the regimen or which broke out during the early stages was gone completely. I think the relatively long spell between starting and getting results is what puts people off. If you follow Dan's advice exactly, the chances are you will have a considerable improvement and hopefully a complete clearance.

mrfunk your comment came at such a great time! I just got back from my college graduation (YAY!) and I was feeling kind of lousy. My skin seems to be semi "purging" a bit (I have a lot of clogged pores on my cheeks) and it made me depressed today when I should be happy! I need to remind myself that it is only DAY 2...and I NEED to have patience. I have 11 weeks until my wedding, so I hope I see results in 6 weeks as well :)

On a side note, I think I might have gotten a little sunburned :doh:. It was overcast, so I think I just assumed I would be fine (which is untrue, of course. Silly me). So, that could be a problem! Lol

Also, my face is a little darker than the rest of my body (even before I got a little burnt). Is this normal with the regimen? Does it subside at all?

Thanks! :)

I'm trying this picture thing again! Here is some acne picturesss.

Hi there, I'm on week 5 of the regimen and I'm almost completely clear. I had pretty severe acne with approx 2-3 cysts at any given time. They were always huge and painful and took a week or more to clear. Anyhow, I am almost there now. I have one new spot that popped up last week that is fading and should be gone tomorrow or the next day.... I highly recommend using dan's products over anything you can buy at the store. I switched to the official regimen line about 10 days ago and I'm thrilled so far. I use 2 pumps of the bp but only on the bottom half of my face, I never ever break out on my forehead. If I did I would be using a full 3 pumps. Any irritation will fade as your skin gets used to it... Also... Since switching to dan's cleanser and probably most importantly his moisturizer my skin is much less irritated. In fact, the skin I marinate in bp on the bottom half of my face is now the same tone/color as the skin on my forehead/eye area that never gets any bp.

Just thought I would share, stick with it, and try the official products when you can... I think you will like them and see a marked improvement as I have.

Thanks so much!!! :)

So, Day 2: Night

REALLY irritated right now...which is rare for me. Some good news (maybe...I think) all of my clogged pores have become whiteheads (well, almost all of them) and I (gently, of course) popped a few. If those don't come back tomorrow...I will be THRILLED. However, if they are still there tomorrow...I will be pretty upset, lol. But, we will see.

As I said, I'm super irritated! I had to take off some BP on my chin (where I don't break out) because I was about to tear my chin off! So I took it off just on my chin. Everywhere else is irritated, but not to the point of any pain...just a bit uncomfortable.

Will write tomorrow! Hopefully those pesky clogged pores will be gone!!! PLEASE BE GONE, lol.

No idea how you post pictures, I haven't even managed to sort out an avatar yet lol

Try not to squeeze spots. However tempting it is, it really doesn't help. It easily spreads the infection, it causes trauma to the surrounding skin and it increases the risk of scarring considerably. You're right at the beginning of the regimen so irritation is to be expected. Really try to leave BP all over, even if you have to use much less on your chin to begin with. Most skin adapts to BP over time - mine is extremely sensitive. I looked as if I'd sandpapered my whole face the first three or four days I used BP and almost gave up the regimen.

Your face is the one part of you exposed to the sun pretty much the whole time so it's natural it'll be darker than anywhere else. Wouldn't worry unless it becomes really obvious.

Pores tend to take quite a while to unclog properly and become healthy and clear. Try not to be impatient. I can remember literally looking in the mirror every half hour when I started the regimen. You just so want it to be working. And it very likely is, but it'll take at least a couple of weeks to see noticeable results, I would say.

I think everyone's skin is different. I've popped every zit I've ever had and never got any scarring. In my experience if you can pop it to remove the pus they will absolutely heal faster. I pop before I cleanse, to be sure nothing spreads. If you are prone to scarring I would follow mrfunk's advice, if not then I would go ahead and pop them so you can clear/heal faster.

If you do squeeze, take every precaution to avoid potentially spreading the infection. I guess it depends on the type of acne you have. If it's cystic or nodular, avoid squeezing. Smaller ones that come to a head pretty quickly it's probably safe enough to purge for most people. I never had ones like that myself - even smaller ones would just ooze a little clear fluid and then go livid red and take longer to heal. The temptation is strong, especially with bigger ones that hang around.

Thanks guys! Well, when their clogged pores that come to a head, they don't usually scar when I pop them. BUT, if I try to pop a cyst or something else that's bigger, I do get a red mark.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! :) And yes, I did put BP on my chin after all...and it's not burning so bad today, lol...thank goodness. How long did it take for your skin to adapt fully to BP?

Day 3: Morning

So, the clogged pores I popped are MOSTLY all gone...so far, lol. There were two or so that stuck around...but they are much smaller. My face is pretty irritated right now...but I'm surviving...haha. The three cysts on my left cheek seem to have gone down some too...but I do have a new pimple forming in between my eyes :wall: but at least it's only one (so far, lol).

I'm glad I get to stay inside and do nothing today. I was at graduation yesterday, then at my sister's graduation party ALL day yesterday and it was outside (I stuck to the shade though) until midnight, haha. It was fun though :)

Alright, I will update tonight!

Everyone is different but I have extremely sensitive skin. The kind that would go hideously red and blotchy if I used normal soap once. It's also naturally very dry most of the time. It took me around two weeks before the initial quite serious irritation subsided. In the first few days it burned and was so red I felt sure I must be allergic to BP and almost quit.

But gradually things settled down. I had a really persistent problem area each side of my mouth which I found horribly embarrassing and that was the first area to really heal up and stop breaking out, after an initial couple of big zits appeared there (again, when that happened I felt like giving up, like it was making my skin worse).

What you have to remember is that most spots and lesions have begun to form, clogging the pores, some time ago. The BP or the rubbing of the skin or coincidence may cause them to appear as you start the regimen. But if you stick closely to it and try not to be impatient, the results do come for a large percentage of people.

BP still dries out my skin after nearly six years of using the regimen and that will always be the case. But so long as I moisturize thoroughly, no problem.

You also have youth on your side. In your early 20s, particularly as a woman, acne is extremely common indeed and the vast majority of people barely even notice. Mine was at its worst in my early to mid 30s. I still have problems if I skimp a little on the regimen even now at the age of 42. I long since accepted it's a problem I'll always have, having suffered the curse since I was 25. But in your own case it likely that acne will pass naturally in the next year or two anyway. Using the regimen will help to keep any possible scarring and lasting damage to the minimum.

I really don't recommend picking pimples, even gently. cuz doing that actually expose your skin into more breakouts, for you can very likely squeeze the bacteria further down to your skin thus causing more blemishes. I used to double the amount of BP on these areas and they'll usually disappear in two days or so~. I don't like AHA, it caused me to purge BIG TIME. and I absolutely hated it. Please be careful with AHA~ and congrats on getting married~ :)

Thank you both so much! I love this site and it's members, they are so nice and encouraging! Thank you for the advice! Patience is not my greatest attribute, but I am determined to stick it out :) Yes, i really hope acne passes naturally in the next year or two for me, but I get it from my Dad, and he had it probably until his early thirties, but at least he doesn't have it anymore and you can't really tell he ever did (minus his enlarged pores...but they aren't noticeable or anything unless you're looking for it).

Yes, I completely agree about not picking pimples! And I will try to just put extra BP on it instead :) I think I can, I think I can, lol. Thank you so much! I'm really excited to get married! :D

Day 4: Morning

I am PRETTY dry...my face is a little darker, but not much. It's not red so much as it's just darker. I put lotion on, which helps, but it is still dry, lol. Not the worst though. Also, an area by my chin is peeling like CRAZY, and some peeled off and my skin is really light there (revealing new skin no doubt). My three cysts are fading...only one of them is really popped up, the rest are flat-ish. My clogged pores on my cheeks by my nose are still turning into white heads, the BP must be bringing all the gunk to the surface, which is good b/c they are becoming unclogged! (I hope, lol).

Alright, I think that is all to report for now. Oh, I also got up a little late this morning for work and was almost late because I had to do the regimen. It was all my fault though, lol.

I hope in the nest few weeks the irritation will subside :)

Oh P.S. SickoFeebo...I also do not really like AHA...it breaks me out like crazy for some reason. I might experiment with it later though when I am clear.