Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lima

Easy-To-Follow method to increase Insulin Sensitivity

Intermittent Fasting

Please don't just close the page because you see the word "Fasting"

Just give it a read... it's not what you might think.

If you don't want a long read, check out the summary at the bottom :)

Intermittent Fasting has already been delved into on these forums, but I feel it's time for the community to re-examine just how amazing it is, and figured nobody could be bothered reading old threads with way too many pages :cool:

I practice Intermittent Fasting (IF), eating within an 8-hour window and fasting for 16 hours every day, and I can consume up to 1500 calories in a single setting (all macronutrients) and haven't experienced any breakouts, in fact my skin is actually getting better with less frequent meals, and the break that my digestive system gets.

This can actually be as easy as skipping breakfast, and eating from lunch-dinner.

IF has all the benefits of calorie restriction but without the added pain in the ass of counting calories.

In regards to acne specifically, it increases insulin sensitivity and reduces oxidative stress, which allows us to tolerate glucose (carbs) much better, and the decrease in oxidative stress reduces inflammation.

I also find that I'm not as hungry as I used to be, even though sometimes I'm actually eating slightly less calories than maintenance some days.

There's a lot of research on meal frequency, and the overall conclusion is that on a normal diet (no IF), total calories taken in per day is what matters, regardless of if it's split up in 10 meals or 3 meals.

I think for us acne-suffers though, carb control is important - it doesn't matter how insulin sensitive you are, you probably shouldn't have a lot of carbs in one meal (>100g).

The added benefit of IF if that (with the exception of food intolerances) you don't have to worry so much about portioning every meal, spacing out meals, having X amount of carbs and X amount of fat, not overdoing this or that bla bla - you can pretty much eat however much healthy food you want during the feeding period.

Also I've noticed that excess oil production is completely gone, and also the cravings for junk food and sugar have subsided completely.

Won't I be hungry?

That's the great thing - I'm actually less hungry even though I eat more calories than I used to, and I don't get that craving for food every 2-3 hours.

I will also add that with IF I am able to maintain my very lean, musclar frame (6%bf) and have actually seen muscular gains and strength gains in the gym due to balanced insulin levels, and a better functioning body in general.

Energy levels seem to be extremely high too, which is contrary to what I would have thought.

Anyway, I won't explain the entire thing, but to sum up everything I've said:

Summary

IF:

-frees you emotionally from having to monitor how much of everything you eat

-is extremely healthy for you as long as it's not taken to ridiculous levels

-helps me to keep completely 100% clear even when travelling/eating out

Here's some reading for you if you're interested :)

Protein Power

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/intermi...-better-health/

Mark's Daily Apple

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-bene...ittent-fasting/

Leangains (applicable to bodybuilding)

http://www.leangains.com/

Also, I just realised that the old thread has just become active, so definately check that out too! Alternatevista and other members have a huge amount of knowledge

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Intermitt...36#entry3097936

Edited by Lima

Im really interested in this too! I used to eat right before bed (and a lot...and junk lol) and then within an hour of waking up. I've found that just by stopping eating by 8 pm and then not starting again until 10-11 am I find my old spots are less red, and less inflamed.

Also getting a good nights sleep in darkness, for 7-9 hours during that fast is also important.

I'm going to continue on with this and see if it does continue to help with my hyperpigmentation. Though I already ruined it today by waking up and eating brown rice crackers first thing. Not really sure what I was thinking :whistle:

I've noticed a huge improvement with digestion since I started only eating 3 meals a day, no snacks. I usually get a 13-14 hour nightly fast everyday.

With my work schedule, I find it hard to skip breakfast or dinner. I can eat large meals if I could take the time to eat slow and not work through almost every lunch. :wacko:

I usually get the full 16 hours on the weekends when I have more freedom to eat when I want to.

So if I wanted to try IF can I start the 16 hour process after dinner this evening, perhaps at 6pm once I've finished eating. So then if I skip breakfast tomorrow morning I would have passed the 16 hour mark by lunchtime?

Edited by James Small

So if I wanted to try IF can I start the 16 hour process after dinner this evening, perhaps at 6pm once I've finished eating. So then if I skip breakfast tomorrow morning I would have passed the 16 hour mark by lunchtime?

Yes, you can keep all your meals within whatever 8-hour period works for you. For me that's to skip dinner or eat at 3 or so, then fast until breakfast.

And you don't necessarily have to make it an 8/16 hour deal to be beneficial. Or to eat nothing during the fast, you can have minimal calories. It's just that most studies that measured improvements involved either the 16 hour fast or days of alternating regular eating with days of minimal calories.

There's more info the links posted in the first thread, especially the Mark's daily apple blog post which is about the benefits of any form of intermittent fast, and the intermittent fasting thread here on acne.org. The Leangains is pretty much all about the 8/16 hour fast. The Warrior Diet is another, but I think you keep all meals within a 4-hour period and fast for 20.

Edited by alternativista

So I gave it a couple of attempts, all to much success:

I still have PIH which gives my face a red hue that normally increases steadily throughout the day up until around dinner time. Not by much, mind you, but it does happen. What I've noticed is that while I do an IF, my face stays nicely calm from the point when I wake up right up until dinner. It's too early to conclude much more, though I will say that I've been feeling quite productive lately and my energy levels are constant throughout the day. It's all good.

Sounds like you're making good progress!

And yes, as alternate said you don't have to do a specific number of hours, it's just that the best results are seen with roughly 16 hours on a normal schedule.

I personally skip breakfast and eat at about 12/1pm-ish, and stop eating after dinner at 7/8 ish.

I also noticed that because of the increased levels of epinephrine I am extremely alert in the mornings, and this is when I get most of my study done efficiently.

One note: beware of caffeine in the mornings if you're still fasting - because of your already-heightened alertness it feels like you're exploding if you overdo it on caffeine haha.

Either way, glad you're having some success :)