Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lwfjsjpsvjs

please at least give it a go - dairy

I had mild to moderate acne although to me, it seemed severe. It felt horrible.

My skin would be okay for a few days, then I'd break out for the next week for no apparant reason. I've tried everything under the sun on my skin and gone through phases of decent and bad skin.

I've heard so many times that dairy can cause acne but I'd never noticed a link between the two. I'd have a glass of milk and a pizza or something and be the same as ever the next day; nothing new to notice the link.

Then I started to keep a food diary so I could notice anything that made my skin react and I noticed that if I had some dairy, my skin would be fine the next day...although the day after that, my skin broke out and continued to break out for about 5 more days.

So I cut out dairy completely (totally difficult, I love my milk and cheese!) and started watching what I put into my mouth. I've now been off dairy for 4 weeks and my skin has not been this clear in years!

I went to my sister's hen weekend a few days ago and although I tried to be careful, I ate a lot of things that I couldn't be completely sure if they contained dairy.. two days after I get back, I have a breakout. It appears to be on it's way to clearing now, although as I know it's caused by the dairy, I'm not too bummed as I can simply not have any again for a while.

So please just give it a try!

I'd never noticed the link as I never broke out until a couple of days after consuming dairy which is weird, but I'm just so grateful that I've finally figured it out.

If one person can take this on board and give it a try, it's totally been worth my rambling :)

I was completely dairy free for years, but I have since discovered that I can have a small portion once a week and be perfectly fine. Small portion as in a sprinkling of blue cheese on a salad or something.Less than a cup in other things.

How do you guys get your calcium? I've pretty much NEVER had any dairy, since I was a toddler I've not liked milk/cheese/cream (I wish I did, cheese boards look awesome) and I am pretty worried about my bones and teeth. I started taking calcium supplements but I read that it can be very harmful so I stopped. Anyone got any tips? x

You can get calcium from spinach and almonds!

Although, I dont think nearly enough. I too am worried about my bones, plus calcium is important for your body (especially if you have acne or irregular periods) so I think I'll end up supplementing.

Goats milk is tolerated by a lot of people too, goat cheese as well which is actually yummy!

How do you guys get your calcium? I've pretty much NEVER had any dairy, since I was a toddler I've not liked milk/cheese/cream (I wish I did, cheese boards look awesome) and I am pretty worried about my bones and teeth. I started taking calcium supplements but I read that it can be very harmful so I stopped. Anyone got any tips? x

Veggies contain calcium....spinach,broccoli,lettuce,and most other veggies you can think of.

It might be in small amounts, but they add up throughout the day. Eat lots of veggies!

Edited by OmegaisJaded

I was completely dairy free for years, but I have since discovered that I can have a small portion once a week and be perfectly fine. Small portion as in a sprinkling of blue cheese on a salad or something.Less than a cup in other things.

Right now, I'm finding it really hard to give up dairy and my skin is still clearing. I think I'm going to continue cutting it out completely until (fingers crossed) my skin is clear. Then I'll experiment. Sure would be good to satisfy my cheese cravings! :)

I have the supplements. My mum has arthritis so she insists that I take calcium. Not heard how they can be harmful though :eh:

You can get calcium from spinach and almonds!

Although, I dont think nearly enough. I too am worried about my bones, plus calcium is important for your body (especially if you have acne or irregular periods) so I think I'll end up supplementing.

Goats milk is tolerated by a lot of people too, goat cheese as well which is actually yummy!

I'll give it a try!

I drink like a pint of milk a week, and have it on my cereal every morning. Doesn't make a difference to my acne :dan:

Edited by rubberduck

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Guest Timehealsall

Is drinking organic milk okay? I know that regular milk contains hormones, and that might be the reason why so many people might be affected by dairy (because of the hormones in dairy), but if something like organic milk does not have hormones.. is it safe to drink?