Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jondread

Has Dan Kern ever even had acne?

I mean, really, has he ever even had Acne? His skin looks perfect and there are no photographs that I can find of him where you can actually see that he has acne. So if this is the case how can he claim that all these products work and that he's not really just using this site and our ailment as a way of making money?

And another thing that seems funny is that in all the reviews on this site, all the ACNE.ORG cleansers are at the top of the list, don't get me wrong the community and forums are great, but I can't help but wonder about the products that Dan sells, considering so many people have said such bad things about BP.

I don't mean to offend anyone who uses the regimen, but it does just sound like a way of making money considering you can get benyzol peroxide and most of the other stuff from a GP. It just makes me wonder - has Dan ever even had acne? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors? :\

Edited by jondread

Guest Timehealsall

i cant agree more.

Are you yourself on the regimen?

I was wondering this too! BP burned my skin, made me peel and caused premature wrinkles. Sure, it does dry up my acne but it leaves me looking dull and ghastly. I'm glad the regimen works for some but I don't think it's for me.

Dan's written acne history: http://www.acne.org/my-acne-treatment-history.html

Reviews of acne.org products on makeupalley, a completely independent cosmetic review site: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/pnuem...cneorgalley.jpg (Sorry about the size and quality, you can't view reviews there without a free profile.)

As for your final point, why would you pay way more money to see a doctor to get BP, when you can get a very large tube of it online here for way less money without an appointment?

I believe he did have acne, On his facebook page he talks about spending his entire life savings on acne.org. In his video's he always seems really genuine as well.

what a cynical mind, it's beautiful.

Personally i believe he had acne, but i do believe that BP is the pits. Not that it doesn't work, it does, but at a hefty price. You must remember he went on accutane + he grew up.

Edited by onceperfect

I did wonder about this the other day when I realised I had never seen a "before" picture of Dan. The regimen seems to help lots of people so I guess its ok, everyone else has a healthy ability to decide for themselves if DKR is right for them.

I don't like to use benzoyl peroxide, I find it too rescrictive on my life but fair enough for those that do. I am greatful to dan for making this site really though. Either way I am grateful cause this site has helped me loads.

I don't like to use benzoyl peroxide, I find it too rescrictive on my life but fair enough for those that do. I am greatful to dan for making this site really though. Either way I am grateful cause this site has helped me loads.

Me too. I mean, at this point I don't even care if he had acne or not. His site has been really helpful in my quest to clear skin.

I used to think that too until I stick through the regimen and found out that it works.

His bp prices are pretty low compared to that sold at grocery stores. His margins have got to be very very small. So low that I bet he barely even breaks even. He does the research and out-sources to get the products made for him. Not cheap. Be a cynic if you please, but realize what goes into the making of the products and the costs associated with them as well as keeping this website running.

Also keep in mind that you don't even have to use Dan's products to do the regimen. He tells you what kind of products to use and which not to use. You can buy the products from him or go to the store and buy similar products. Doesn't sound like someone who is trying to scam us.

I am having success with the regimen by using my own products.

I'd never considered it to be honest. I would have only wondered about it if products were being thrown at me and the entire site was all about advertising something. But, it feels to me as though 95% of the site is about advice, resources and support.

By using the site and talking with people here, I've pretty much cleared my acne and I didn't buy a single product from Dan to do that. The products are there to try and the advice on what might work is there with it, but at the same time, nobody has ever made any claims they can't back up and it's always been stated that it might not work because different things work for different people. That honesty is how I know it's not simply about making money. Granted, there's money to be made. That's a given because there are products to be sold, but that's no bad thing. My point is that making money seems far away from being the main aim.

I guess the only thing that crosses my mind when I consider value, is the value of the information, advice and support: priceless!

:)

Guest Timehealsall
I was wondering this too! BP burned my skin, made me peel and caused premature wrinkles. Sure, it does dry up my acne but it leaves me looking dull and ghastly. I'm glad the regimen works for some but I don't think it's for me.

how long were you in the regimen?

Guest Timehealsall

*Moderator edit*

I used to think that too until I stick through the regimen and found out that it works.

His bp prices are pretty low compared to that sold at grocery stores. His margins have got to be very very small. So low that I bet he barely even breaks even. He does the research and out-sources to get the products made for him. Not cheap. Be a cynic if you please, but realize what goes into the making of the products and the costs associated with them as well as keeping this website running.

*Moderator edit*

maybe his bp is not of the highest quality?

BP is all the same quality. The only difference between brand A and brand B is the other ingredients involved.

Guest Timehealsall
*Moderator edit*

maybe his bp is not of the highest quality?

BP is all the same quality. The only difference between brand A and brand B is the other ingredients involved.

maybe the ingredients in his BP, is not good? /shrug

Well I consider his BP product to be outstanding. There isn't any other BP product that is sold in 2.5% stength and in gel form, OTC or otherwise. Dan saw an oppotunity in the market and seized it. If Acne.org was raking in loads of cash off this enterprise, then I would simply applaud him and his entreprenual skills. Personally, I think Acne.org should incorporate advertisements into the website, I don't see why not. Most people ignore them or run ad-block anyways. Might as well make some more money!

In terms of him having acne, I haven't seen any pictures of him pre regimen. However, I don't hold onto many pictures of me where I have really bad looking skin either. In his video about doing the regimen and sweating, he clearly has a small pimple on his cheek.

Guest Timehealsall

pro active is gel form

Acne.org existed long before Dan started selling products. I started the regimen using Neutrogena On-the-Spot because that was what was recommended at the time, and I did it that way for over a year before Dan released his own BP. In fact, he only started making his own products because the community here was begging him to try. He definitely did not start the site with the idea of making money from it. From what I could tell, he was just excited to share the regimen with as many people as he could.

Guest Timehealsall

now that i look at dans videos again (the ones he posts on blogs as well), i can see some MILD scarring on his face.

I thought the same thing. I tried this regimen and it did NOT help in the least. And I did it right.

I am thinking perhaps those people who tend to just have little pimples sitting on the surface might benefit from benzoyl peroxide, but when it comes to cystic acne that comes from the inside, this does not work!

Dan has clearly never had severe acne. I seem to remember reading some time ago that he had the mild but very persistent from, where you get a few spots here and there and maybe the odd blockbuster from time to time.

I suffer the same. I started the regimen as a last resort in 2005 after a decade of suffering adult acne (I'm 42 now). I was sceptical. I thought, yeah, another so-called miracle cure.

People with more severe acne would probably have killed to have my skin pre-regimen. But for me, I found it extremely embarrassing and it had a major effect on my life. I think if I'd been a teen it wouldn't have bothered me but having acne in your 20s and 30s as a man isn't great.

The regimen does work. Well, for me anyway, and I'd seen derms and doctors and tried virtually everything. Minocin worked for a while but gradually lost its effectiveness, and my doctor was more reluctant to prescribe for more than two months at a time anyway - so just as it started to kick in and show results, I'd have to stop taking it.

When I tell people I have acne, they don't believe me. I do have the occasion minor flare up (usually after a spell of not following the regimen religiously, such as skimping a little on BP) but other than that, clear skin for nearly six years.

If you're lucky enough not to have suffered significant scarring, it really does appear that you've never had acne. Dan's skin pretty much shows what the regimen will do for a lot of people if you follow it to the letter.

Regarding money, the acne.org BP is vastly cheaper, even when taking into account postage costs and VAT (I'm in the UK) than if I were to buy it over the counter. Also, the gel form makes all the difference. I started the regimen using Oxy 2.5% and it was fairly effective but dried my skin and clumped badly.

My gut feeling has always been the DK isn't in it for the money. He could easily charge more and people would pay it. The non-BP products maybe aren't such good value, as I'm fortunate in being able to use cheap supermarket cleanser and moisturiser and it works fine. But the important bit, the benzoyl, is relatively inexpensive and better than any other BP I've ever tried.

Re Minty Peas post above, this is very true. I remember when acne.org didn't sell anything. There is nowhere else that sells large size BP. They all make max profits from tiny tubes and even that isn't great because it's not gel. The acne.org pricing model speaks volumes.

Sorry, second edit - should have read all posts before replying lol Re cystic acne, that's what I suffer from. Just not widespread. I'd normally only get one or two at a time but often they'd be huge and last months in some cases. Usually they'd be near my mouth or on my cheek, in a really obvious position. I think the reason I have so little scarring is because I never ever squeezed or picked at my spots. But there is no question that the regimen can and does work on cystic and nodular acne for at least some people. I would suggest that if anyone followed the regimen religiously for two months, they'd see a distinct improvement. The problem is impatience - I know, I've been there! But the treatment of acne can be a slow process and results often take a while to become apparent.

I don't work for DK, BTW lol

Edited by mrfunk

Guest Timehealsall

i dunno, for some it seems the regimen makes their skin much worse.

Me for example, i have this redness and weird texture on my face which has been there for the past 3-4 months and ive been on the regimen for almost a year. Although it does keep my acne somewhat under control, i am giving up on it after a year. Going to start weening off it.

I don't know if there is any scientific proof/evidence for this... but i believe that benzoyl peroxide somehow spreads acne. i NEVER used to get acne in some areas, but ever since i started using BP on my cheeks, AREAS next to my cheek seem to have started to develop acne. This pissed me off greatly.

i dunno, for some it seems the regimen makes their skin much worse.

Me for example, i have this redness and weird texture on my face which has been there for the past 3-4 months and ive been on the regimen for almost a year. Although it does keep my acne somewhat under control, i am giving up on it after a year. Going to start weening off it.

I don't know if there is any scientific proof/evidence for this... but i believe that benzoyl peroxide somehow spreads acne. i NEVER used to get acne in some areas, but ever since i started using BP on my cheeks, AREAS next to my cheek seem to have started to develop acne. This pissed me off greatly.

The obvious thing would be to only put BP where you get spots. For example, I rarely get them on my neck so don't use BP there. My forehead hardly ever breaks out, so I use much less there. The rest of my face I have to lay it on pretty thick but it works lol I don't think BP spread acne, but I think it's entirely possible you're touching parts of your face that are affected and then spreading the infection to previously clear areas. It's pretty easy to do.