Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mike41121

Second treatment after 40?

Hi everyone

I have a question re. possible taking another course of treatment 20 years after taking my first course.

I am exploring the opinions of others with such concerns before considering visiting my doctor.

Now 41, I first took a prescribed course of Roaccutane(Isotretinoin) during university, in 1992/93. This worked well in clearing my condition for many years.

Over the last 2 or 3 years though I have started getting spots again, around lips, nose /the most annoying) and other places like back of neck around hairline etc.

My thought is whether it's wise to take another, similar course of strong treatment, such as Roaccutane. I'm sure other treatments have been introduced in the intervening period, too.

I received the treatment on the Health Service in the UK; now I'm living in Italy and realize I may have to pay, which I am prepared to do.

So, what are the general thoughts on taking a course of treatment again.?

Has anyone undertaken such a pattern of treatment?

Any impartial advice welcome from any industry professionals also.

Thanks

I'm not sure how things work in Italy, if it would be possible to visit a dermatologist? You could do a second course of accutane, but maybe something else would help treat it. There's lots of topicals - retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, topical antibiotics and combinations of them, aczone, There's also lasers/photodynamic therapy but these are very expensive and I think they need more research, the results are kind of mixed. If you want an inexpensive way, you could always try over the counter 2.5% benzoyl peroxide first, especially if the bumps are small. That's wonderful that accutane cleared you for so many years.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would be looking to see a dermatologist. I needs some thinking about. I'd prefer not to take any 'heavy' drug treatment if possible, but laser etc is too expensive for me. Maybe the topical solutions are more realistic yet also more short term...