Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KWEHJHS

Interesting....I can't wash my face!

So I'll start by saying, Hello! I'm new here. And I have searched far and wide for an answer to my problem, but to no avail.

I'm 24 years old, and have never suffered from serious acne. Just the occasional blemish. I am very allergic to Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)

So I never have a problem with my skin...UNLESS I wash my face with soap.

I have tried every commercial brand of facial wash I can think of. Aveeno, St. Ives, Dove, Olay, Proactiv, and most recently, Clinique. Every time I start a new skincare regime, about a week in, I bread out in large, painful papules on my chin that last over a week and leave scars. I will go a few months with no papules, and then decide I want to try a new facial wash, and it all happens over again.

Two years ago, when I was diagnosed with the Aspirin allergy, I thought maybe using face washes with Salicylic Acid in them were the problem, since its a derivative of Aspirin. So I switched to gentler cleansers, but saw no change. Astringents and toners have the same effect.

Obviously, I want to be able to clean my face without painful breakouts. I am getting married next summer, and would love to have healthier, more even looking skin by then. I use a moisturizer with sunscreen every day, which doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Any ideas? Similar situations? Suggestions for products to try? I appreciate any input!

First off, Welcome to Acne.org ; )

Anyways, I can actually relate to what you are saying as I feel my breakouts tend to get worse when using SA. Although I have a few questions for you.

How long have you stuck with using a product?, simply stating because some products do a tendency to have an initial breakout the first weeks of use.

Have you tried using Benzoyl Peroxide washes, besides proactive(hate it)?

Something that has worked for me was BP Washes that contain a concentration of 10%, didn't fully clear my acne but kept it smaller and in control, which should help you out with the papules you are dealing with.

Edited by Nostradamus

Anyways, I can actually relate to what you are saying as I feel my breakouts tend to get worse when using SA. Although I have a few questions for you.

How long have you stuck with using a product?, simply stating because some products do a tendency to have an initial breakout the first weeks of use.

Something that has worked for me was BP Washes that contain a concentration of 10%, didn't fully clear my acne but kept it smaller and in control, which should help you out with the papules you are dealing with.

Thanks for your input!

The product that I've stuck with the longest is Clinique Liquid Facial soap and the rinse off foaming cleanser, which I have used on and off for two years. Neither have Salycilic acid. The other cleansers I tried for a few weeks to a month each. I get the same results no matter what: after about a week of use, I get pustules, that do not go away until I stop washing my face entirely.

The only product with Benzooyl Peroxide that I tried was Proactiv. My skin was constantly red and irritated, and I saw no difference after two months of use.

I should also probably add that my skin is really sensitive, and I am very fair. I sunburn easily.

Thanks for your input!

The product that I've stuck with the longest is Clinique Liquid Facial soap and the rinse off foaming cleanser, which I have used on and off for two years. Neither have Salycilic acid. The other cleansers I tried for a few weeks to a month each. I get the same results no matter what: after about a week of use, I get pustules, that do not go away until I stop washing my face entirely.

The only product with Benzooyl Peroxide that I tried was Proactiv. My skin was constantly red and irritated, and I saw no difference after two months of use.

I should also probably add that my skin is really sensitive, and I am very fair. I sunburn easily.

I used to sunburn big time when using BP products, but then again that is what you have to expect the first few weeks using it. Perhaps a decent SPF and moisturizer to help with the redness and irritation from BP, and once it subsides you might see some great results.

Is it when you stop washing your face that stop the breakouts? Little confused there, because you could just stop washing if that's what works for you. Sorry if im misunderstanding that right there.

Edited by Nostradamus

Thanks for your input!

I used to sunburn big time when using BP products, but then again that is what you have to expect the first few weeks using it. Perhaps a decent SPF and moisturizer to help with the redness and irritation from BP, and once it subsides you might see some great results.

Is it when you stop washing your face that stop the breakouts? Little confused there, because you could just stop washing if that's what works for you. Sorry if im misunderstanding that right there.

I wear moisturizer with SPF 25 religiously. Even when using the Proactiv. My skin was still red and irritated and itchy. I would be willing to try something else with benzoyl peroxide, though. Any recommendations?

When I stop washing my face entirely, the pustules do go away. Unfortunately, my skin tone becomes uneven, and my skin gets oily. And I get dirty riding horses and hiking and running around outside, so it feels wrong to NOT wash my face with something. So while my skin is clear of blemishes when I don't wash it, I don't think its very healthy. And as I prepare for my wedding, I want it to be as flawless as possible :) Its a bit of a catch-22.

I would be willing to try something else with benzoyl peroxide, though. Any recommendations?

Certainly ; ) Some that have worked for me

Oxy 5/10% Face Wash

Panoxl Bar/Foaming Wash, also used for body acne

When I stop washing my face entirely, the pustules do go away. Unfortunately, my skin tone becomes uneven, and my skin gets oily. And I get dirty riding horses and hiking and running around outside, so it feels wrong to NOT wash my face with something

Okay, now I understand

And as I prepare for my wedding, I want it to be as flawless as possible

I don't blame you, well anyways hope I helped you out, and good luck!

There are many people who cannot use products. In fact, there are many here (and online) who have noted that products/cleansers were the cause of their acne. I had some minor breakouts from tweezing when I was 14, used skincare stuff, and then had acne. It seems to be that if you used products after developing acne then it's usually easier to find something you can stick with.

I don't see why you need to bother looking for something. Just.. wash with water. If you must, use a washcloth or facial brush to get a "deeper" clean, whcih will exfoliate and thus might help even out your skin tone. My skin is like yours in terms of sensitivity, and has been that way since I can remmeber. I just naturally have fair, more sensitive skin. But using products that contained soap-like ingredients made things worse. One cleanser that didn't was from LUSH called Herbalism, which exfoliates. It has no conventional soapy ingredients, just a weird paste that exfoliates.

Interesting. Thanks for your input! I hadn't thought about trying soap-free cleansers. I will definitely look into them.

My main concern is that it seems to be I can have either a clean face with painful papules on my chin, or a gross-feeling, dirty, oily face that is surprisingly blemish free.

Edited by KWEHJHS