Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dressedsharply

Whiteheads...to pop or not to pop?

I have a few whiteheads on my cheek, and a few on my forehead, and I was wondering if I should pop them or not. The thing is, if I don't pop them, I don't know how long it'll be until they heal on their own. I know that when you pop a whitehead, you're spreading the bacteria, potentially making acne worse. But, usually when I pop a whitehead, it just leaves a small red mark for a few days and then starts to go away. What are your guys' opinions?

I suppose... hm well I guess it revolves around the whole "do you scar easy?" question. I find that my skin bounces back and it just becomes a red mark that fades and it seems thats the same with you. I never did like looking at a zit that had all that well gunk in it. It just was.. bleh. I was taught that you have to get all of it in order for it to heal. If thats true or not I don't know. Thats just what my family does. But it seems to make sense to me. I just don't keep applying pressure when I see blood.

As far as spreading the infection goes, Im pretty sure theres a page on here that shows how to pop a whitehead probably, the method being that you use a tissue or something on the lines of that while doing so. Im pretty sure that is to stop spreading the bacteria. Also cleansing your face is pretty important right after your pop one. If you haven't seen its, the page is under acne info.

Id say if they are an issue, then pop them. Just do it properly :)

Hope this helps

Ella

Usually, and correct me if I'm wrong, but when a pimple reaches the whitehead status it means it's at it's final stage of healing and will go away fairly quickly. I would say not to pop them, no matter how tempting.

The tricky part is how to stop them ; )

If you pop it properly then there is no harm. I mean, its got to come out anyway. Just don't dig in to your skin too hard. Just pop it gently and then cleanse the area.

I've found that the best way to do it is very gently, with clean hands (or using tissues), make the skin around the whitehead taught instead of actually squeezing the pimple inwards. If it pops easily on its own, then you should be okay, but if doing that doesn't make it come out then leave it alone.

Guest Timehealsall

just curious, but lets say YOU DONT pop a bit, but the zit eventually pops (i.e. it was ready to go away on its own) and all you do is wash your face with water, but do not use any cleanser... is this okay?

I would just leave it. Partly because your body needs to learn how to defend against these evil little white heads.

Ok heres a thing about white heads, u cannt in anyway touch them (unless they are poppint outta ur pores for u to easily grab em and get rid of them) but even then u hafta b careful and wash your hands b4 u do that!!

Juz go to anywhere where they do facials and stuff and for around $20 they can do whitehead/ blackhead extraction. Its safe, and eliminates future pimples and makes skin look clean

I dab some spot treatment on them to help them dry out, but I don't pop them and don't recommend doing so.

If one accidentally bursts while facial cleansing I'll dab some neosporin on it after my face has dried.

Guest Timehealsall
I dab some spot treatment on them to help them dry out, but I don't pop them and don't recommend doing so.

If one accidentally bursts while facial cleansing I'll dab some neosporin on it after my face has dried.

which spot treatment?

Ok heres a thing about white heads, u cannt in anyway touch them (unless they are poppint outta ur pores for u to easily grab em and get rid of them) but even then u hafta b careful and wash your hands b4 u do that!!

Juz go to anywhere where they do facials and stuff and for around $20 they can do whitehead/ blackhead extraction. Its safe, and eliminates future pimples and makes skin look clean

i think its okay to "touch" whiteheads, like applying a cleanser over them or spot treating them with acne medications...just don't pick at them.