Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Broke down emotionally for the first time, possibly ever. I have been fighting acne for probably 4 years now. MY early teens, maybe 14/15, it wasn't a big deal to me. A few white heads here and there, used every OTC product but nothing really work. At 18 I still have mild acne, nothing really serious but enough to draw me back from enjoying life. I went to a dermatologist for first time last august, hoping that I would have clear skin for my senior year. What do you know, never happened. Possibly had clear skin for 1 week the entire year, the rest of the time was shit to me.

I've tried everything, BP, Syalic Acid, Sulfur, Every OTC cleanser/spot treatment, doxycycline, clindymicin phosphate, sulfacidmide, differin .01% and .03%, retin a micro, change in diet, change in vitamin intake, changing pillow case constantly, I mean i've tried it all. Of all the product i took doxycyline helped clear up some of my acne but not all. On the other hand, Differin completely destroyed my skin. Made acne a lot worse then what it use to be and made my skin scar up over the course of the 10 weeks I was on it. I just stopped using differin 3 weeks ago and things are a bit better but not anywhere I want to be.

Acne has really taken over my life unfortunately, theres not a day that goes by that I dont think about my skin. I've held back on so many things in life and has really ruined my high school experience. I'm not ugly and I know that, I know there are plenty of girls who find me attractive, but I just can't bare to even try acting myself or talking to a girl up close and personal. Over the course of high school I've held back from making new friends, getting a girl friend (not hookups), holding a job down, going to social events, being myself, communicating with people eye to eye, and just being happy for once. I even decided to skip my senior prom because of how I felt towards my acne.

After my latest treatment with sulfur didn't go as well as i wanted to i just began to give up. Yesterday I hit rock bottom and totally shut myself out from the world, laid on my bed all night just starring off into space and told my friends to not even call. My mom came in and asked if everything was alright, I didn't know what to do/say, I completely broke down and started crying my eyes out. I wouldn't say im a super emotional guy, i mean the last time i cried was when my grandfather passed away when I was 15. I told my mom that "I cant stand my skin anymore". It was the most releaving moment I may ever have. For 4 years I've kept up this self conscious acne problem to myself, never telling anyone how it made me feel or how I deal with it, not even my dermatologist. It was like having kept a secret about murdering someone and then just breaking down, there was so much on my chest that I just wanted to let go.

After an emotional night last night, I called my derms. office and requested a change in my next visit, june 17th, and got one for tomorrow. I am determined tomorrow to do whatever I have to do in order to be put on accutane. I feel like this is infact my last resort and I have no other options, other than laser and its wayyyyy tooo expensive.

I start my freshman year of college at Indiana University August 25th, in some sense the start of a new life. I don't want clear skin, I NEED clear skin. Acne ruined my high school experience and I will not let it ruin my college days. Acne is taking control of my life...

Edited by mmaguy115

Hope everything goes well with the derm. That could indeed be the start of a new chapter, and with the nex experiences coming up, sounds like things will turn around for you.

What I will say is that acne doesn't hold us back or stop us from doing things. In fact, we allow it to hold us back or stop us. It doesn't actually physically prevent us from doing anything. We allow to.

I've been there, I pretty much wasted every single day between the ages of 13 and 24. All the experiences I've missed and all the things I denied myself. It doesn't do any any good. It just makes us miserable. The stress and depression of that can make things worse too.

At least you recognise the need to change and want to do something about it. Good for you. Here's hoping that you get what you want and that Accutane is the answer for you.

:)

Edited by PaulH85

You've probably been to the derm appointment already, I hope it went well and that you got accutane. There's lots of advice on this board to help with the accutane adventure. I read somewhere to take your accutane with food to double absorption. I hope that accutane helps you, it can be an incredible drug. Most people only experience dryness during the course and are really glad they took it. I've never been on accutane. Being a woman, my derm prescribed spironolactone, which I haven't started yet, but we'll see... Please hang in there, I know acne can be discouraging and frustrating, it can take time to find the right treatment to control it, but you will, and you can get out of this dark place emotionally too.

Guest Timehealsall
Broke down emotionally for the first time, possibly ever. I have been fighting acne for probably 4 years now. MY early teens, maybe 14/15, it wasn't a big deal to me. A few white heads here and there, used every OTC product but nothing really work. At 18 I still have mild acne, nothing really serious but enough to draw me back from enjoying life. I went to a dermatologist for first time last august, hoping that I would have clear skin for my senior year. What do you know, never happened. Possibly had clear skin for 1 week the entire year, the rest of the time was shit to me.

I've tried everything, BP, Syalic Acid, Sulfur, Every OTC cleanser/spot treatment, doxycycline, clindymicin phosphate, sulfacidmide, differin .01% and .03%, retin a micro, change in diet, change in vitamin intake, changing pillow case constantly, I mean i've tried it all. Of all the product i took doxycyline helped clear up some of my acne but not all. On the other hand, Differin completely destroyed my skin. Made acne a lot worse then what it use to be and made my skin scar up over the course of the 10 weeks I was on it. I just stopped using differin 3 weeks ago and things are a bit better but not anywhere I want to be.

Acne has really taken over my life unfortunately, theres not a day that goes by that I dont think about my skin. I've held back on so many things in life and has really ruined my high school experience. I'm not ugly and I know that, I know there are plenty of girls who find me attractive, but I just can't bare to even try acting myself or talking to a girl up close and personal. Over the course of high school I've held back from making new friends, getting a girl friend (not hookups), holding a job down, going to social events, being myself, communicating with people eye to eye, and just being happy for once. I even decided to skip my senior prom because of how I felt towards my acne.

After my latest treatment with sulfur didn't go as well as i wanted to i just began to give up. Yesterday I hit rock bottom and totally shut myself out from the world, laid on my bed all night just starring off into space and told my friends to not even call. My mom came in and asked if everything was alright, I didn't know what to do/say, I completely broke down and started crying my eyes out. I wouldn't say im a super emotional guy, i mean the last time i cried was when my grandfather passed away when I was 15. I told my mom that "I cant stand my skin anymore". It was the most releaving moment I may ever have. For 4 years I've kept up this self conscious acne problem to myself, never telling anyone how it made me feel or how I deal with it, not even my dermatologist. It was like having kept a secret about murdering someone and then just breaking down, there was so much on my chest that I just wanted to let go.

After an emotional night last night, I called my derms. office and requested a change in my next visit, june 17th, and got one for tomorrow. I am determined tomorrow to do whatever I have to do in order to be put on accutane. I feel like this is infact my last resort and I have no other options, other than laser and its wayyyyy tooo expensive.

I start my freshman year of college at Indiana University August 25th, in some sense the start of a new life. I don't want clear skin, I NEED clear skin. Acne ruined my high school experience and I will not let it ruin my college days. Acne is taking control of my life...

man ive read SO MANY cases of people scarring from retinoids... why the fuck do derms still recommend it?

whatever you do mate, please test spot EVERY product you use.

Hope everything goes well with the derm. That could indeed be the start of a new chapter, and with the nex experiences coming up, sounds like things will turn around for you.

What I will say is that acne doesn't hold us back or stop us from doing things. In fact, we allow it to hold us back or stop us. It doesn't actually physically prevent us from doing anything. We allow to.

I've been there, I pretty much wasted every single day between the ages of 13 and 24. All the experiences I've missed and all the things I denied myself. It doesn't do any any good. It just makes us miserable. The stress and depression of that can make things worse too.

At least you recognise the need to change and want to do something about it. Good for you. Here's hoping that you get what you want and that Accutane is the answer for you.

:)

Thank you for reply and thanks to the rest of everyone.

No accutane, doctor says my skin needs to be worse before he would prescribe it.

Changed me regimene up a bit

Oral antibiotics of Solodyn

Morning use of: enthromycin-benzoyl peroxide

Even use of : Finacea 15%

Will use Sulphursoap.com's soap for cleanser am+pm

Will use proactive mask 2-3 times a week

Really take a leap of faith, need college to be acne free.