Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm just going to tell my story. PLEASE READ IT ALL. I'm a 18 year old male who is completely miserable with my life because of acne. I started getting acne when I was 16 years old (right after my Sophomore year of high school in the summer). It started on my back and chest and slowly but surely had moved to my face during the course of the summer. My mom (or me) had no idea what was on my back and chest (as we didn't even know what acne was as I had no prior history of acne before I turned 16; I had PERFECT, flawless skin). As the acne started to build up, so did my anger, frustration, and depression. I was getting so worked up over my acne, I went to a physchiatrist (the one who talks to you) in 2009 because my mom said I needed help when I was still 16. It was a complete waste of my time. He preety much told me that picking at your skin is a form of self multilation. WTF? That's the best piece of advice he gave me. And yes, I USED to pick at my face and pop all my pimples. I stopped doing all that in 2010. I guess I realized that it was a bad thing to do and I don't do any of that anymore. I started going to a Dermatologist in late 2010. I'm on a program where I get free healthcare (people 19 and under get it) and I go see this foreign doctor who, I can tell, reluctantly sees me. I can tell the guy knows what's he's talking about, but it's like since I get his service for free, it's like he doesn't tell me everything he knows. HE DOESN'T EVEN LOOK AT MY FACE TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! He just sits in his chair and asks me how my acne is. That's it. Then he asks me what medicine I need and he walks out the door. What a tool. He's the ONLY dermatologist in the state of GA that has the free healthcare plan so he's the only option I got. Anyways, the reason I have acne is because of my father. He had severe acne as a kid and had to go on Accutane as a result (he said he was one of the "ginny pigs" for Acctuane as it was getting started right when he was told to use it; my Dad is 49). He said he used to get big cysts on his chin (which is one of my TERRIBLE acne spots). He said he had it really bad. I have moderate acne. It's not mild by any means, but it's not severe. Now I don't completely BLAME my Dad for my acne, but I've thought about on numerous occasions how my life would be different if I had a different Father who didn't have acne as a kid. About the topic at hand though : My Physchological effects of acne are preety big. I'm preety much always in a bad mood, I'm depressed most of the time, and I just flat out hate my life. Oh, and when I look in the mirror, I get down on the FLOOR and start to cry and ask God "Why me?". My mom and dad are always telling me to stop being so miserable and just enjoy my life. How can I when I have acne EVERYWHERE? My mom doesn't know what it's like. Atleast my Dad can relate to what I'm going through. I have acne on my face (very little forehead acne, hardly any pimples on nose, 3 half a millimeter papules on chin that NEVER go away and pimples on chin is preety much a everyday thing, scars on cheeks; most of the scaring is just redness though and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and both of those will hopefully subside), neck, shoulders, back, and my chest. It's so depressing. I know my acne is just a puberty thing (atleast I think it is; it started when I was sixTEEN, so it's just a puberty, teenage thing) and it will probably completely end when I end puberty OFFICIALLY when I turn 20, but I'm just so damn sick of dealing with this CRAP every day of my life. Everywhere I go in public I see people with such perfect skin and I can't help but be envious. Sometimes, I even contemplate suicide. I think I'd be better off that way (dead), but then I talk myself out of it thinking that acne will eventually end and that I have so much to look forward to in the rest of my life that suicide would just be silly. It'd be a "permanent solution to a temporary problem". But that's my story. Thank you if you read the whole thing. I needed to get all of this out there. I have issues, I know. But I think I'm in the right place when it comes to acne. You guys are probably there for me and I appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Edited by Kody_R_F

Hi I'm Ella! Nice to meet you!

Well I read all your story and, well, it sounds very sad. Im like that too I suppose. Im a bit younger, just turned fifteen. I seriously wish my young teens years weren't dominated by acne. Never had a boyfriend. Bleh who would have thought. I find myself crying too, whenever I look in the mirror. Picking as self-mutualation. How odd. Never heard that. I always pick because I feel like if I unvlog every pore than my face will be clear ( I don't understand whats so bad. Maybe Im insane... yeah probably). Anyway it sucks that you got it from your dad. I think I go mine from my mom but she had hers in college... then again Im a bit more erm full grown than her...

I totally understand where you are coming from though. Sometimes I contemplate suicide as well. Of course I never do it. Haha I once tried cutting myself because I hated myself so much. But I stopped because it kinda hurt :P Eh then again I guess I shouldn't be so lighted hearted about it.... Well I think that there are moments in life where your acne has never mattered. I had some great experiences before even when I had acne. I sometimes thought that happy times don't come when you have acne but if you put yourself out there, they are bound to happen. Acne sucks and it makes me miserable. But the way of handling makes it a bit bearable I think. I like listening to a lot of care free music that makes me feel like Im in a video. :P If you handle things with a positive outlook, your acne doesn't seem to affect the situation. Though Im not really one to talk because I get depressed by face all the time but Im not the person who never leaves the house. I think that once you realize that there is people that like you for you, like your parents and everyone who sympathizes with you on the forums, a new kind of courage emerges. Eh maybe its just me.

Best of luck to you

Ella :)

Hi I'm Ella! Nice to meet you!

Well I read all your story and, well, it sounds very sad. Im like that too I suppose. Im a bit younger, just turned fifteen. I seriously wish my young teens years weren't dominated by acne. Never had a boyfriend. Bleh who would have thought. I find myself crying too, whenever I look in the mirror. Picking as self-mutualation. How odd. Never heard that. I always pick because I feel like if I unvlog every pore than my face will be clear ( I don't understand whats so bad. Maybe Im insane... yeah probably). Anyway it sucks that you got it from your dad. I think I go mine from my mom but she had hers in college... then again Im a bit more erm full grown than her...

I totally understand where you are coming from though. Sometimes I contemplate suicide as well. Of course I never do it. Haha I once tried cutting myself because I hated myself so much. But I stopped because it kinda hurt :P Eh then again I guess I shouldn't be so lighted hearted about it.... Well I think that there are moments in life where your acne has never mattered. I had some great experiences before even when I had acne. I sometimes thought that happy times don't come when you have acne but if you put yourself out there, they are bound to happen. Acne sucks and it makes me miserable. But the way of handling makes it a bit bearable I think. I like listening to a lot of care free music that makes me feel like Im in a video. :P If you handle things with a positive outlook, your acne doesn't seem to affect the situation. Though Im not really one to talk because I get depressed by face all the time but Im not the person who never leaves the house. I think that once you realize that there is people that like you for you, like your parents and everyone who sympathizes with you on the forums, a new kind of courage emerges. Eh maybe its just me.

Best of luck to you

Ella :)

Thank you for taking the time to read my mini rant. :) Seriously though, I appreciate it. And I also know where your coming from. I've never really had a true "girlfriend" either. I'm not a bad looking guy (I'm average looking, not ugly, but not amazingly gifted with looks), but I've just never had the confidence to approach a girl and start talking to her (even before acne). I'm the shy type, and when you add acne onto that (which I've had for 3 years now), it just makes it THAT much more difficult to find a girlfriend. Now, not only do I not have confidence because of my natural shyness, but because of my acne. I think it's a proven fact that girls do not like guys with acne, so, that's why I don't even attempt to talk to girls. They want nothing to do with me. And add onto to the fact that I'm a virgin (a 18 year old MALE virgin, how embarrasing), and that just adds onto my depression. I RARELY make eye contact with people now and that's only if it's my mom. This may sound weird, but I don't like looking at my father because I can see the scars on his face from his past acne experiences and in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Well, that's going to be what I look like in a couple of years" (the scars I mean). Sorry if I went off topic, but I just need to get all of this off my chest.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with acne too. You're right, the redness/post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation should fade. It's only temporary. This may go away soon as you age and you do have the rest of your life to look forward to. Skin has amazing healing properties, so just imagine what you'll have to look forward to when you are older. I'm sorry the doctor treated you like that. If he gave you anything to use before he walked out, you could try that and hopefully it will help, sometimes it takes a few months for things to clear. Otherwise, maybe 2.5% over the counter benzoyl peroxide would help.

Things will get better, please hang in there. You are not alone in your suffering.

Haha well maybe its a good thing Im a 15 year old girl virgin. And hey don't worry. To me, and I don't mean this in a freaky way, but I want to be a virgin till marriage so I find it respectable in a way. I never really had a bf either. Ah such a shame. I finally posted a pic on what I look like though so you can see the horror! Haha.

And your very welcome. I mini rant alot myself. And if you ever need to rant about your acne well this is the place to be!

I'm sorry you're having to deal with acne too. You're right, the redness/post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation should fade. It's only temporary. This may go away soon as you age and you do have the rest of your life to look forward to. Skin has amazing healing properties, so just imagine what you'll have to look forward to when you are older. I'm sorry the doctor treated you like that. If he gave you anything to use before he walked out, you could try that and hopefully it will help, sometimes it takes a few months for things to clear. Otherwise, maybe 2.5% over the counter benzoyl peroxide would help.

Things will get better, please hang in there. You are not alone in your suffering.

That's exactly what I'm thinking about the hyperpigmentation. It's already slightly going away. Maybe in a few short months, it will of completely subsided. My scars would look AMAZING if the redness and PIH would go away. You can hardly even see them without the redness and the PIH. I'm HOPING all of my acne will go away when I get 20. Then, I know I'll OFFICIALLY be out of puberty (which is what I think is causing my acne). So, at the most, I got 2 more years of acne, and at the least, it could be over this year (sometimes puberty ends at 18). Just depends on the persons' body I guess.

Oh, and my regimen (or daily routine; IDK what it's called, I'm new here haha) :

Morning : Clindamycin Lotion

Before shower : 5 % BP Wash

Night : Retin a Micro .1 and Minocycline

Been doing this regimen for 12 weeks now with few, if any, results.

Haha well maybe its a good thing Im a 15 year old girl virgin. And hey don't worry. To me, and I don't mean this in a freaky way, but I want to be a virgin till marriage so I find it respectable in a way. I never really had a bf either. Ah such a shame. I finally posted a pic on what I look like though so you can see the horror! Haha.

And your very welcome. I mini rant alot myself. And if you ever need to rant about your acne well this is the place to be!

Well, I find it very admirable that you want to wait until marriage to have sex. I can absolutely respect that. Most girls nowadays just want to have sex just to "impress" their friends and just because they think "all the cool kids are doing it". The amount of pregnant teenage girls nowadays are seriously ridiculous. When I was in high school (I graduated a couple of weeks ago), there was always atleast one pregant girl in our school from my freshman year through my senior year. It's their own fault though. They get no sympathy from me.