Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi!

I'm 32, male, and I've had moderate acne.. well, forever.

I've been looking into salicylic acid chemical peels, but I have no idea where to get one, how much it costs, etc. Is this something I can do with over the counter stuff? If so, where can I buy it?

If I have to go to a professional to get it done, who do I call? Dermatologist? Day Spa?

Does anybody else get chemical peels done regularly?

Thanks!

You look up cosmetic centers, skin care clinics, esthetic spas...one of those searches will help find somewhere that does peels in your area.

I wouldn't do peels at home without getting one done by a professional first, as it can leave you with an uneven peel if you don't do it right.

There's Salicylic and glycolic peels which are popular,lactic tends to be for darker ethnic groups or those with dry/aging skin, TCA is for serious issues, but a lot of the time skincare centers will sell you on what I like to call "designer peels". It's a trademarked blend of acids and other stuff.They're more expensive.

If you can't find a peel done professionally in your area for a price that you're comfortable with, I'd just do really light ones at home. This has been used by me before: http://www.amazon.com/Salicylic-Acid-Peel-...6260&sr=8-1

Start with the lowest contact time, don't do it more than once a week,and protect yourself from the sun. Read the directions over twice.

If it feels a bit too much, I'd just a little light exfoliating product. Olay Pro-X facial brush, Mychelle pumpkin enzyme mask, Wynne (a moderator here) did/does liked this: http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Hydrox-AHA-Sou...6424&sr=1-1

Those are pretty gentle exfoliant products that are hard to mess up.

Edited by OmegaisJaded

OmegaisJaded: Thank you so much!

So 20% salicylic acid is considered light? Is it going to be effective?

I did some research today on some of the spas in my area. Rates seem to be from 60-90 for most facials. The SA treatment you linked is <$20. This sounds much more appealing if I can do it without serious risk to my skin. Would I apply this treatment with my hands or use a brush or?

I've used 10% Glycolic Acid treatment a bunch of times. My skin doesn't really redden or hurt with it. But I'm looking for something a little more effective.

Thanks again!!

The 20% salicylic I linked will definitely make your skin pink, but the pinkness fades within the day that you do it. So yes, it is effective but still remains gentle. If you use it and it burns too much, reduce your contact time. If it doesn't turn you pink at all, increase your contact time.

Fan brushes are nice, but I think it's easier to over-apply the peel with them. I recommend starting with cotton balls. You're face also isn't supposed to feel wet, so don't think you have to add more.

60-90 bucks is a good deal for a facial at a skincare clinic. I'd personally do it, but if you decide on the peel I linked you just have to follow directions. Lot's of stupid people end up messing up because they don't bother to read the instruction pamphlet.

I have the 20% SA peel, it burns my face, really really burns it. I've reduced my usage to once every 2 weeks. FYI I only do mine when I have 2 days off from work in a row, and I do it as earlier as I can the day BEFORE the days off. Because 1 or 2 days later the parts where the peel crystalized on my skin ("frosted") I get patches of dark spots which look pretty bad for a while until the dead skin falls off.

Just don't overdo it, there's obviously some serious potential to screw up your face with it.

I have the 20% SA peel, it burns my face, really really burns it. I've reduced my usage to once every 2 weeks. FYI I only do mine when I have 2 days off from work in a row, and I do it as earlier as I can the day BEFORE the days off. Because 1 or 2 days later the parts where the peel crystalized on my skin ("frosted") I get patches of dark spots which look pretty bad for a while until the dead skin falls off.

Just don't overdo it, there's obviously some serious potential to screw up your face with it.

How long do you leave it on for? It's not supposed to be as extreme as you're describing. Have you ever used salicylic based products before?