Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peacelovegoo

Looking for some extra advice for my regimen.

Rate My Regimen  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is this a good regimen?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Needs Improvement.
    • Too Excessive.

Here's my whole story, If you don't want to read all this just scroll down toward the bottom for my regimen. I'm just looking for some personalized advice to make my regimen more efficient. I'm going to include every detail I can provide into this post so that nothing is overlooked, and I can receive the maximum amount of input from you guys to finally beat this thing, since you are on this website I'm sure you can understand that way of thinking, so I apologize if it's a bit lengthy.

MY STORY

OK, so I've been struggling with acne since I was 14, for 7 years or so now. I have moderately oily skin, and a moderately fair skin tone, I've never had acne anywhere else except for my face, and it is now mostly centralized around the sides of my lips/chin, and there's a little left on my right upper cheek(but seems to be clearing up there for good now that I no longer sleep on my stomach), and a rather low amount of scarring. It wasn't that bad until my 3rd-4th year in, when I was 18, even then I was only using proactive or topical treatments because I had almost no knowledge of the reasons WHY I was getting acne, or what caused it other than "oily skin", I then went from proactive, to the "exposed skincare" topical regimen, and that worked much better, and now my skin is very tolerant to benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid since I've used so much of it over the years, and it still didn't do enough. BUT........when I turned 19 I finally found all these resources on the web to help me and gained the know-how to face my acne on all fronts, after everything I've learned now, I believe I have most of the nuts and bolts of what "causes acne" down(unbalanced hormones, improper liver function, bad nutrition/diet, impeded ability to shed skin cells, too many toxins in the bloodstream that your liver can't properly filter,etc. 'If there are more that I don't know of, or corrections you'd like me to make in this post please include them in your responses for future reader's knowledge.') SO...now I'm going for a more natural/holistic regimen, because I do not want to interfere with my skin's natural way of operating, and try to restore it to it's proper functioning, without acne.

Note: I've never visited a dermatologist, as I believe that most of them don't know half the stuff I've learned on the web, and will just throw antibiotics and prescriptions at you, I could be wrong, but I've had some great improvements with my skin on my own, and if I keep struggling with acne in the years to come, I will pony up the dough and see a dermatologist, I HAVE seen my doctor about my acne though, and around 6 months ago he prescribed me Minocin(antibiotic) for me, I was on that for around 3 months, and it really did help a little, but I was convinced it wasn't the healthiest thing for my digestive tract. SO I want a more natural approach, as I believe that your skin can be a reflection of your overall internal health, and may be a pre-cursor that there's something wrong internally.

Like I said... before I learned all of the causes of my oily acne-prone skin, I knew nothing except for those 'topical treatments'.(Which never did enough.) And during all of this, I always had a terrible diet, my whole life I always ate lots of candy, lots of sugar, soda, and sooo much junk food. I am now 21 and have experimented with very many different products and techniques to tackle this thing, It took a long time for me to change my habits to better my skin, but I now have the willpower to do anything to beat this thing, and try anything, and have made some major gains to lessen the severity of my acne. For instance, I now drink LOTS of water(3 quarts a day 'This may sound excessive, but I also do strenuous exercise 30-45 min a day, 6 days a week to weed out toxins') to keep my cells hydrated and help my liver and kidneys to filter toxins out of my blood, I've taught myself to sleep on my back, so my face never touches the pillowcase, I no longer eat dairy, bread, sugar/high fructose corn syrup(I only use 'Stevia' as a sweetener', and rarely use that) and I try not to eat any processed food, I also do not use benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid anymore.

So, with all that said, I'll tell you my CURRENT regimen. Right now my skin has never been clearer, and I'm just looking for advice to continue this streak, I'm sure I have room for improvements, and have made mistakes.

MY SKINCARE REGIMEN/HABITS

Vitamins/Supplements:

Note: (I'm new to this site and my links aren't working properly yet.)

Now Foods Probiotic-10 25 Billion - 50 Vcaps

(Priobiotic- Digestive health, using to add extra kick to my current detox -

One pill, twice a day bewtween meals)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/076853.htm?cat=Digestive%20Support

Now Foods Probiotic Defense 1 Billion - 90 Vcaps

(Same as above, will start taking after finished with thos 50 pills)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M081883.htm?cat=Digestive%20Support

Now Foods Easy Cleanse

(15 day Natural Detox, currently in the 8th day and have seen great improvements)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M103419.htm?cat=Detox%20Support

Now Foods Liver Detoxifier & Regenerator

(Detox- One pill, Three times a day, once with every meal)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M102280.htm?cat=Detox%20Support

Nature's Secret 5 Day Fast and Cleanse

(Detox- Will start this after I'm done with the 'Easy Cleanse')

www.naturessecret.com/5-day-fasting-cleanse.asp

Now Foods Psyllium Husk 500mg

(Fiber- 3 pills with meal, twice a day)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M003458.htm?cat=Fiber%20Supplements

Now Foods Maca 750mg

(Hormone Balance and hormone gland health - Two pills after breakfast)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/074866.htm?cat=Herbs%20%26%20Mushrooms

Now Foods Zinc Gluconate 50mg

(Skin Health- One pill after breakfast)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M003582.htm?cat=Minerals

Now Foods MSM 1500mg

(Skin Health- One pill, twice a day after a meal)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M003553.htm?cat=Joint%20Structural%20Support

Now Foods Super Omega 3-6-9 1200mg

(Skin/digestive health hormone balance - One pill twice a day with meal)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M011529.htm?cat=Nutritional%20Oils

Now Foods Super Primrose 1300mg

(Hormone balance - One pill, twice a day after a meal)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M002991.htm?cat=Nutritional%20Oils

Now Foods Special One Multi-Vitamin with Green Superfoods

(Nutrition- One pill once a day after breakfast)

www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M002873.htm?cat=Vitamins

Topical Treatments(All organic and natural, except shave gel):

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shave Gel

(I shave after the shower every other day, as I find every day is too irritating for my neck)

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FIZK6O

NoW Foods Tea Tree Oil

(Natural Alternative to benzoyl peroxide, I've added about 1tsp of this to my cleanser and exfoliator,

and directly to my skin as a 'spot treatment' when needed)

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ELP5KA

Bian Laboratories 'GRAPEFRUIT POPPY SEED MICRODERM POLISHER'

(Exfoliator, use in the morning during shower, and at night 'Tea Tree Oil added')

www.bianorganics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=405

Bian Laboratories 'LEMON & BASIL FOAMING ACNE CLEANSER'

(Cleanser used after shaving in morning, and a night after exfoliator 'Tea Tree Oil added')

www.bianorganics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=375

Bian Laboratories 'LAVENDER TONER'

(Used after cleanser, morning and night)

www.bianorganics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=293

Bian Laboratories 'LEMON & BASIL MOISTURIZER'

(Used after Toner, morning and night)

www.bianorganics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=233:047c38ea89ae1387306ae1f598493e4b

NoW Foods Jojoba Oil Pure

(Apply 3-4 drops to face and neck after moisturizer)

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009NBCXC

Habits and Diet

Day 1-6 of each week.

Shortly after I wake up I wash my face with only water, and a very small amount of cleanser, I then eat a banana/orange/apple. Then I workout for 30-45 minutes, shower(exfoliate during shower), shave after shower(every other day), then cleanse, tone, and moisturize from those topical treatments listed above. After that I eat whole grain oatmeal with 4 strawberries and a banana, and perhaps some raisins, all mixed in, along side with decaffeinated green tea, I then take all my vitamins and supplements as listed above. I don't eat dairy, bread, or sugar, and only drink water or 100% juice, and try not to eat any processed food, I love fruit so I eat a lot of that, and I'm sure I would like many vegetables, but don't eat very many because I don't know what's good, so I need some more help in this part of my diet, specifically for dinner. For lunch I will either have just a piece or two of fruit, maybe a can of some sort of soup with chicken(chicken is the only meat I eat nowadays, and will only eat it grilled), or a iceberg salad with carrots, apples, kidney/black beans, and perhaps some ranch dressing. and basically do the same for dinner. I think the majority of the advice I need is on my diet, I know little to nothing about which foods trigger my acne, if any at all, regardless, I still try to eat healthier, and am willing to make major changes to my diet if necessary. At night before bed I exfoliate, cleanse, and moisturize. You may think I'm exfoliating too much, but this is a gentle exfoliator and my skin is never irritated from this.

Day 7 of each week

This is my rest day, I rest from exercising and don't take any vitamins, but still take the maca, probiotic, 'liver detoxifier and regenerator', and psyllium husk(fiber). Everything else as far as diet and facial cleansing is the same

I am currently doing the 'Easy Cleanse', which is a 15 day detox that is just naturally helps your body cleanse itself by boosting your immune system with nutrients/herbs, after I'm done with that I'm going to use the 5 day fast and cleanse.

So that's everything, please give any tips/advice about improvements I can make, or mistakes I may be making.

UPDATE: 6/4 Going to start taking Niacin 500mg when it arrives, starting with a small dose and working my way up.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068SJ40

Edited by peacelovegoo

Habits and Diet

Day 1-6 of each week.

Shortly after I wake up I wash my face with only water, and a very small amount of cleanser, I then eat a banana/orange/apple. Then I workout for 30-45 minutes, shower(exfoliate during shower), shave after shower(every other day), then cleanse, tone, and moisturize from those topical treatments listed above. After that I eat whole grain oatmeal with 4 strawberries and a banana, and perhaps some raisins, all mixed in, along side with decaffeinated green tea, I then take all my vitamins and supplements as listed above. I don't eat dairy, bread, or sugar, and only drink water or 100% juice, and try not to eat any processed food, I love fruit so I eat a lot of that, and I'm sure I would like many vegetables, but don't eat very many because I don't know what's good, so I need some more help in this part of my diet, specifically for dinner. For lunch I will either have just a piece or two of fruit, maybe a can of some sort of soup with chicken(chicken is the only meat I eat nowadays, and will only eat it grilled), or a iceberg salad with carrots, apples, kidney/black beans, and perhaps some ranch dressing. and basically do the same for dinner. I think the majority of the advice I need is on my diet, I know little to nothing about which foods trigger my acne, if any at all, regardless, I still try to eat healthier, and am willing to make major changes to my diet if necessary.

How long have you been doing this? You say your skin has never been clearer, but not how clear. Depending on how long you've been doing this, other than adding more vegetables, you could keep up most of these habits and see how you do. If it's been months, then you probably need to lower the glycemic impact and probably try avoiding all grains especially all gluten which is an additive in all kinds of processed foods. It's even added to pet food.

Definitely add veggies! See the pinned Food and Recipe thread pinned under important topics for what to eat. Be sure to add dark green leafy veggies, broccoli and cabbage. Try green smoothies. You'll find a link to a lengthy thread in the Food and Recipe thread. And sweet potatoes are a great food. Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. There's even been a thread in which people swear a sweet potato a day clears their skin. I think they are mistaken, but it is a very beneficial food.

Besides adding vegetables, here are some suggestions:

Juices should only be consumed with a meal or snack of low glycemic foods to lessen the impact of the sugar. You should also water it down.

I would ditch the canned soups which probably have gluten and all kinds of crap with little nutrients.

Also, buy other lettuces, baby spinach or cabbage for salads. Iceberg has no nutritional value. Romaine is a good substitute for those that like their iceberg. Have oil and vinegar or lemon juice on salads rather than bottled dressing.

And save your fiber capsules for when you are going to cheat on a high glycemic thing like someone's birthday cake.

Here's a link to info on the many ways diet and lifestyle affect acne and what to do about it:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Also, they don't let new members make hyperlinks. Post awhile and that will change.

Edited by alternativista

Thanks for the advice! and to clarify how clear my skin currently is, the only acne I have is around the bottom sides of my lips, and chin, and a little on my right upper cheek(and they are all very small blemishes). This is a large improvement, because it used to be all over my face. and I still get a 0-2 whiteheads every day, but Ill start buying different salad, and are you saying oatmeal is bad for acne? Also, I rarely drink fruit juice, normally it's only water. Your link doesn't work btw.

Edited by peacelovegoo

are you saying oatmeal is bad for acne? Also, I rarely drink fruit juice, normally it's only water. Your link doesn't work btw.

Things you are intolerant to are bad for acne. And many people are intolerant to all grains.

The link was missing the l in html. It's fixed. It;s also in my signature.

Edited by alternativista

An update on my new/current regimen:

I use nothing but organic cleansers on my face, and they are mild, as to not irritate my skin, and I use pure jojoba oil to moisturize.

I exercise 30 min a day and my diet is: dairy free/gluten free/processed sugar free, I drink 2.5 quarts of water a day, eat nothing but: salad(romaine/butter lettuces/spinach leaves/some garden mix(iceberg/carrots/red cabbage)with mushed up baked sweet potato and black beans mixed in, and a tablespoon of pure olive oil), vegetables(carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, sugar snap peas, mushrooms, green beans), a little fruit(raspberries/blackberries/strawberries/blueberries) all mixed in with my gluten free oatmeal in the morning, and natural decaf green tea. I take vitamins(MSM,Omega 3's-6's-9's, zinc, a green superfood multivitamin, a liver detoxifier, probiotics, and 500mg of niacin before bed)- And soon ill be taking a b-vitamin complex, 25,000iu vitamin A, and 5,000iu of Vitamin D once they arrive.

And I still haven't found my cure, and can never tell which foods break me out,or if I have a sensitivity to any, if any, I don't really break out much anymore though, my acne just slowly forms, or ill get 1 new whitehead when I wake up or something like that.

And I don't cheat. So either none/or very little of this is helping, or my body hasn't caught up to my healthier lifestyle now after so much damage I've done to my body with junk food over the years.

Please give me any advice you may have on poor choices in my regimen, and I would love to hear them and adjust it.

P.S

I also did The now foods ez cleanse, that was 15 days, and then fasted for 5 days(on nothing but lots of water, fiber, probiotics, and nutritional supplements-nature's secret 5 day fast and cleanse)-My skin did appear to get a little better afterwards so either it was a food sensitivity I don't know about yet, or just the fiber and my liver being able to push out more toxins for 5 days.

Edited by peacelovegoo

Have you been doing this all month? And is your acne the same as before you added the the veggies? What is your acne like now? Are you saying you just have one or two pimples at a time? Is your skin less oily?

What do you drink? What about snacks? Do you binge eat? Are you no longer eating any animal protein?

If your skin improved when you quit gluten and sugar, but no more improvement since, I'd try avoiding the oats as well. If you are seriously gluten intolerant and have impaired gut permeability because of it, you could also be sensitive to the anti-nutrients in the oats too. And the supplements that might be derived from corn. Have the sweet potato for breakfast.

No visible improvement after I quit the gluten or added vegetables, I've been gluten free for 6 weeks. and have done the vegetables for 6 weeks as well.

I cut out unnatural/processed sugars long before that, only sugars I get is from fruit for breakfast.

I only drink filtered well water, no other drinks.

I can never tell if my skin is getting less oily or more oily because I always keep it hydrated with jojoba oil, I feel as though its usually just normal, not oily, and never dry. but my forehead and nose are usually more oily than the rest, and I will get blackheads on my nose, and some clogged pores on my forehead, but that acne usually never inflames. but steaming my face every few days usually gets rid of those.

All the supplements I take are all natural, vegan/vegetarian safe. They are all from now foods.

No I don't snack, or binge eat.

I have 3 meals a day, I'll describe it in more detail for you. Mostly frozen, and then microwaved fruit and vegetables.

-Morning:'gluten free oatmeal + fruit(either 'raspberries,blackberries,blueberries,strawberries, with sometimes a banana' or 'peaches, strawberries, grapes, honeydew and sometimes a banana') + cinnamon + raisins'.

-Afternoon: salad(romaine, spinach leaves, butter lettuces, garden mix:'iceberg, carrots, red cabbage') with 1/3 cup black beans, half a baked sweet potato, and 1tbsp of olive oil.

-Evening: Vegetables(Cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, carrots, peas, sugar snap peas, a few pieces of onion, a few mushrooms)+a tsp of garlic powder+1/3 cup black beans+half a baked sweet potato.

And that is to the letter exactly what I eat every day. All meals are the same portion, they all fit in a 2 cup(16oz) bowl.

White heads are rare now, it's usually just small red pimples that form, and then go away within a week, but new ones replace them, The majority of my acne is always on the right side of my upper chin, occasionally left side too, beneath the corners of my lips. and on the upper side of my right cheek(this is because my pores have been widened over the years from more acne in this area, so it is more acne prone, perhaps because I probably slept on this side of my face for a long time, but now I sleep on my back).' It may be good to mention that Ive never had any acne anywhere else besides my face.

and why the sweet potato in the morning?

In your first post you said: 'I'll tell you my CURRENT regimen. Right now my skin has never been clearer. ' And your current regimen had mentioned you were dairy free, had quit bread, sugar and HFCS. But I guess you weren't gluten free yet?

So, if going completely gluten free for 6 weeks didn't make a difference, you could either decide the gluten isn't a major cause, or try avoiding all grains. Some people who are gluten intolerant didn't notice a difference until they avoided all grains. The sweet potatoes for breakfast was a suggestion for if you decide to avoid the oatmeal.

I believe that when acne occurs over and over in the same place, it's often an allergic reaction. And if you can't tell if your skin is oily, then I would say your skin is no longer oily.

Guest davidtheskinking

Wow, you are doing quite a bit all at once.

As far as nutrition from supplements go you are doing pretty well!

I hope you are using all natural skin care and cosmetic products to top this off as well as drinking enough water each day to stay hydrated.

Also, if you have plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet along with these other things I don't see how you could even have acne.

It could be candida related if you've done all this and nothing changes, that's my only thought.

Hope this helps,

yes alternativista, I was not gluten free at that point, I had whole oatmeal in my diet at that point, not gluten free. and I believe I read somewhere on her that reoccurring acne near the chin area was hormonal? I'm not sure though.

and yes davidthesinking, I use all natural skincare regimen, and drink 2.4 quarts of filtered well water each day, as well as 30 min of exercise. and I don't cheat on my diet. and if all this isn't working there is obviously something wrong with me.

I was thinking about trying out the blood-type diet and eat according to my blood type, so I'd like to see a digestion doctor and a dermatologist to get a few tests. a food sensitivity test, liver function/kidney function test, hormone level test, anything that could be a red flag basically, although I don't think I have the money for all that, which is why acne sucks.

Edited by peacelovegoo

yes alternativista, I was not gluten free at that point, I had whole oatmeal in my diet at that point, not gluten free. and I believe I read somewhere on her that reoccurring acne near the chin area was hormonal? I'm not sure though.

Yeah, people like to say that, but it isn't the case. First of all, all of our acne is hormonal no matter where on your body it occurs. Except in the case of pores clogged by topicals or pollutants or allergic reactions that directly cause a pimple to form, probably within a day, hormones are always involved in acne. There's even a relationship between elevated androgens and elevated histamine.

Well a factor that would really help me determine what foods are causing this reaction would be how long it takes to form acne after eating the bad food, because I can never really get accurate results, I could eat perfectly healthy,exercise,drink plenty of water, and still get acne every day, and then cheat for 3 days straight because I go see some relatives and they feed me nothing but greasy/unhealthy food and I will not break out at all. My brother told me it takes two weeks for acne to "form" because that's what he read in his proactive book, I told him that's complete bullshit, because those are also the same people that claim that diet has little or nothing to do with acne.

^ It varies. If it's a food intolerance that directly causes a pimple to form (as opposed to one that increases inflammation which then increases hyperkeratinization and excess sticky sebum that causes a pore to clog way below the surface) it could be within a day or two. Or perhaps the inflammation could turn an already clogged pore that wasn't going to be inflamed into a larger or more inflamed pimple.

The best way is to methodically avoid foods for a period, probably a month but longer in the case of damaging foods like gluten. Either avoid one by one or in groups of related foods or follow a very hypoallergenic diet for at least a month, then methodically add back in related foods and watch for a reaction. More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...t&p=2574130

Do you break out in the same areas repeatedly.