Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So.. I feel like this is kinda silly but maybe someone else out there is having this same thought..

Why did my derm start me on 20mg a day? Does this mean that I will have to stay on it longer because of such a low dosage for a month?

I do realize that I am not a dermatologist AND I probably don't even know HALF of what most of what you guys know, but what I do know is that 20mg is kinda low for my weight of 120lbs (right????! lol) From what I've gained from reading and researching as much as I can without going to medical school, there is this calculation that somehow tells you how much you should take in one course to increase you chances of your acne not coming back. (even though I am somewhat iffy about this because of how many be have taken the accumulation of accutane that's actually on the high end of the recommended amount..sooo..yeah)

I will definitely be asking my derm about this on Monday! I don't know why I didn't in the first place! Ya know? a simply why.. or even may "how long will I be on this?" or "Um...What exactly is the plan here?" lol Go me for going this long without asking this right?! haha

Something else to add..

I didn't start off with horrible skin.. well not to me.. I have rather embarrassing body acne on my back and chest. That's really my main concern. But my face is/was FAR from clear at the start of this. It was a lot clearer than usual because I was taking a retin-a and an antibiotic up until a week before taking my first pill.

Also, I have extremely oily skin. That was another main concern. I am on day 26/27 of taking 20mg and I can go literally allll day (including the night) with nothing on my lips. Nothing! and what's weird is that i've always had a problem with dry lips. I've had to go to bed with Vaseline on my lips EVERY night for years. And I've actually been skipping days lately without a problem. My face is now becoming less oily though. I've gone from blotting my face 6 or 7 times away to 0 times a day. Yay! I am also still using my clinique moisturizing gel with not problems.

Ok. I'm done.. lol

Some Derms start on a lower dose to get your body used to the drug and to minimise side effects, particularly the initial breakout.

http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produ...270&typ=pdf

On Monday your Derm may increase the daily dose, but if you stay on 20 mg/day then your course will have to be longer if the plan is to reach the ideal cumulative dose of 120-150 mg/kg.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/isotretinoin.html

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2004/9.3/1.html

Hi, Whitney!

Don't worry, 20mg is good to begin with. My weight is 120lbs too, i had very oily skin and I started on 20mg a day. The second month my derm wanted to put me on 40mg but I was kinda scared because it was already working too quick. If you go on 40mg make sure you moisturize your face twice a day even if your skin looks and feels ok. I missed only a day and now my skin around the mouth is so red and flaky going to work was embarrassing.

Good luck!

Hi, Whitney!

Don't worry, 20mg is good to begin with. My weight is 120lbs too, i had very oily skin and I started on 20mg a day. The second month my derm wanted to put me on 40mg but I was kinda scared because it was already working too quick. If you go on 40mg make sure you moisturize your face twice a day even if your skin looks and feels ok. I missed only a day and now my skin around the mouth is so red and flaky going to work was embarrassing.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info! I'm worrying a lot less. My appointment is tomorrow. I think I probably will be upped t 40mg because she said she was only starting me on 20mg so I could get used to the dryness.. I think she underestimated my oiliness..lol I'm not having any issues with dryness but I do moisturize every time I wash my face.

Were there any significant changes that you noticed when you started taking 40mg?