Notifications
Clear all

Hate wearing foundation in the summer but feel cannot go without ?

MemberMember
(@fearofpimple)

Posted : 05/31/2011 6:19 pm

Does anyone else hate being outside in the summer because they are embrassed by how much makeup they wear? I hate wearing foundation in the summer , on me at least it looks cakey and " too made up" also feels icky in the summer heat. And it seems whenever i do go somewhere with my bf or someone in the summertime I dont really see other girls wearing it or at least they dont look like they do , mainly cuz it looks like they dont have too. It just makes me feel self conscious and that like i look fake. And before anyone says just dont wear it im the type that needs to if i wanna look alive lol im really really pale with dark circles and a really uneven complexion with alot of red post acne marks and what is seeming to be some perm scars . I was thinking maybe a tinted moisturizer with just some concealer but idk if it would be enough to cover and im scared it may break me out mineral make looks just as cakey if not more because to get the level of coverage i need I have to layer quite a bit on . Anyway this may seem like a silly post to some but I was just curious if anyone else was in the same boat , a love hate relatioship with summer i guess lol , well thanks to anyone who reads and replies take care everyone :D

MemberMember
(@ivy-2)

Posted : 05/31/2011 6:33 pm

I knoooow what you mean. My face has gotten to the point that I hate putting makeup on because I need SO much more to cover up the purple marks on my face...it's very depressing because i'v worn makeup basically everyday for 6 years at least and I can really see how down hill my skins gone

I'v got foundation on now and my face looks shiny as hell because it's so hot...just looks gross. But I cannot go out without it on because if I see my face in a car mirror or something I just hate it.

I had to get two fillings today at the dentist and I kept thinking about how terrible my skin must have looked under the bright lights with all that makeup :{

MemberMember
(@fearofpimple)

Posted : 05/31/2011 6:44 pm

Hi Ivy thanks for the reply :) and its def frustrating, like being stuck , the suns shining and u wanna be out there having fun and not caring but its hard when ur face is melting off I feel ok at night and in the winter but I feel ike in the summer its like a giant light is beaming on me like " look at the cake face" lol its probably not as bad as we think but its still a pesk and i tend to avoid looking at my bf alot in the sun so I dont gross him out :( btw I bet u didnt look bad at the dentist u look like a very pretty girl in ur pic :)

MemberMember
(@babyhilts)

Posted : 06/03/2011 6:09 am

Omg this is me exactly! I have incredibly pale skin, and now my skin is finally a bit better from BP, not as many breakouts at all but lots of red marks left over. It's so frustrating because I just don't have the courage to step outside without a layer of foundation on my face, to feel the least bit confident and even then there's this underlying feeling of not wanting to be in direct sunlight and feeling gross. And when it gets hot and I start sweating that's when I really feel the makeup and I don't want to sweat so the makeup doesn't run. It's a crazy, vicious circle and I hate it! I keep trying to stay positive that by the end of June lots of these spots will have faded but it's been a while already.

Last summer I had horrible breakouts and a red face. I barely left my house, wasted my summer and even when I went camping had to layer on the foundation because my skin was so bad. Definitely don't want to repeat that again.

Those girls that have normal skin, that can go out with maybe a touch of mascara and that's it. Oh, I envy them so much! I'd love not to wear a "mask" when I go outside. I still try and stay positive that one day I'll only need a bit of mascara and maybe a tinted moisturizer and that'll be enough. That would be so awesome. Right now because my skin is so light and the spots are so red in contrast, I don't think I could get away with just a tinted moisturizer.

And I know, some people might see this thread as silly but acne slowly damaged my self confidence over the years. I've had it since I was 11 and now I'm 22, so it's really hard to break the habit of hiding behind makeup. It's my safety blanket and gives me that bit of confidence I feel I need. I sucks, it really does because it's so time consuming and I do feel "fake" but until my red marks clear, I'm sticking to it.

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't feel all icky during the summer months with her makeup on.

MemberMember
(@summertime3)

Posted : 06/03/2011 8:59 am

I totally get what everyones saying!

I'm a new member but I've had acne for a couple years now & since I was in middle school, makeup was my best friend.

I hate having to go outside knowing that I have to 'put on my face' before hand. My skin's not pale, but its not dark either, so I'm always worried there will be a 'makeup line' on my neck, or that my face will be a whole different shade than my body.

In the morning, after I apply my makeup I look in different mirrors in different rooms of my house because the lighting is different in each one, and I hate having a big brown splotch from concealer :/

I have lots of red marks and scars from where I've popped pimples, and I use foundation, concealer, and powder everyday. My best friend hears me ask "Is it blended?" like everyday :P

My worst fear for the summer is a pool party though! I've been dreading going to one in fear I'll get pushed or coaxed in and my face will just like melt off lol.

I've learned its best to take babysteps to build up self-confidence. I don't wear makeup around the house if it's just my close family, and sometimes on a lazy movie night, I won't wear any in front of my boyfriend (which wasn't easy at first).

You have to find people who love & support you no matter what you look like. It's a process, but I'm realizing a beautiful person is somebody who puts others before themselves, is respectful, caring and realizes there's more to life than just how you look(:

I hope my story has helped(:

MemberMember
(@greeneyes33)

Posted : 06/03/2011 9:22 am

I do too. I just use origins vita zing in the summer. Moisturizer+spf 15+tint= perfect!

MemberMember
(@ella27)

Posted : 06/03/2011 9:51 am

Amen! Ugh I wish I didn't have to wear makeup :( But it isn't choice for sadly. Luckily I work with horses and they don't care but still... I don't like going anywhere without makeup.

MemberMember
(@sadxlies)

Posted : 06/03/2011 9:54 am

I agree about the make-up wearing in the summer time. It's awful, I hate that feeling of when you start to get hot and you can just feel your make up getting worse and cakey because your getting sweaty. I'm also dreading a friend's lake-house party tomorrow, I'm already trying to think of excuses as to why I can't swim all because I don't' want to get my face wet and show everyone what I really look like without "my face" on. Sighh.. Curse summer heat!

MemberMember
(@acneslayer)

Posted : 06/03/2011 12:04 pm

I just use my Everyday Minerals. No matter how much I apply it doesnt feel like I'm wearing a ton of makeup. Do you ladies wear liquid foundations?

MemberMember
(@g_bye)

Posted : 06/03/2011 12:25 pm

I totally understand not wanting to go out in public (especially in natural sunlight) with a bunch of pimples and post acne marks. =( I'm mostly clear now after being on Dan's regimen but I have TONS of dark marks on both of my cheeks. My boyfriend has never seen me without make up & I'm still self conscious all the time even though we've been together for almost a year. Ahhh!

I would recommend Physician's Formula make-up. I use the tinted moisturizer with SPF 15. When used alone it looks kinda greasy. I apply the talc-free loose powder with SPF 16 from PF over the moisturizer with a couple of layers. Then I apply Neutrogena's Blemish Concelear to the super dark spots. Finally, I add a layer or two of the airbrush loose powder by PF with SPF 30.

I have to say, applying these makes my face CLOSE to perfect. I haven't put the make up to the test outside for long periods of time but I'm not hesitating to do the normal activities. Also, most importantly, none of these break me out. I'm so glad I ditched liquid foundation all together. =)

With mineral make up, I noticed you have to make sure your face is mostly flake-free & moisturized. I think all of the make up I'm applying works/looks natural because my face isn't as dry as it use to be when I first started the regimen. I don't know if this helped any. I know everyone's skin is different but I would say give this combo a try.

MemberMember
(@sadxlies)

Posted : 06/03/2011 2:24 pm

I just use my Everyday Minerals. No matter how much I apply it doesnt feel like I'm wearing a ton of makeup. Do you ladies wear liquid foundations?

I've heard of Everyday Minerals is it really better then Bare Minerals you think? I switched back to using the Original after thinking that perhaps the Matte version was contributing to my face breaking out again. However, I have to put so much make up on lately to cover up my face and the redness, being fair skinned makes the red marks stand out a lot more, so that's why it feels cakey to me if I start to get sweaty or hot because I have so much on my face.

MemberMember
(@acneslayer)

Posted : 06/03/2011 4:04 pm

Icky. I hated Bare Minerals.

MemberMember
(@fearofpimple)

Posted : 06/07/2011 10:21 pm

See this is why I love this site , when dealing with acne we can feel so alone even in the smallest of situations, its been said before in simliar and different ways but its true, coming on here makes me feel a little more understood and def less alone each time :) thanks for the replys and oh yea HUMIDITY SUCKS

MemberMember
(@vicious-lyss)

Posted : 06/07/2011 10:28 pm

definitely look into a tinted moisturizer. they're a lot lighter, the coverage is still pretty good, and it keeps your face moisturized! when i wore foundation in the summer it was such a bitch because it was so hot and my face would be so oily by the end of the day. i can't even imagine doing that again...

MemberMember
(@fearofpimple)

Posted : 06/07/2011 10:32 pm

I do agree that tinted mositurizers do look nicer IMO and wear better then foundation but Im just not sure if would be enough coverage with my scars and such for me to feel comfortable but then I spose its either less coverage or have something more visibly melting off my face lol

MemberMember
(@ducky8989)

Posted : 11/23/2012 12:35 pm

I know, I hate having to wear makeup in the sunlight too. I started thinking about this today because I'm going on vacation to Mexico in a month.

I've started to look at it on the bright side though. With my makeup routine I can go swimming in the pool, ocean (dunking my head and all) and my makeup stays put, and looks pretty natural. I use neutrogena oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin, then revlon colorstay foundation (just a thin thin layer, it is very high coverage) and a very small amount of revlon colorstay pressed powder to set it. I blend well and spread it onto my neck as well so that I don't have any weird lines. This stuff stays put like NO OTHER. Just let it dry for a half hour or so before going underwater. You will literally be amazed at how you can be in the ocean all day long and it will still be there at the end of the day! I use jojoba oil at the end of the day to remove it (definitely wont come off with just a gentle cleanser). Any other natural oil or makeup remover would work too I'm sure. It also is basically impossible to get oily with the colorstay products... they are so matte and even a little drying (as long as I don't sleep in it I don't get too dry though).

And like I said, I really do think the makeup looks pretty natural as long as I blend well and don't use too much. I think most people have no idea I'm wearing much makeup (I think people just dont look at you that closely when its super bright outside and everyone's wearing sunglasses). Especially with my hair down framing my face. Plus I'm getting good sun protection on my face since the makeup contains spf. I literally never get a sunburn on my face with this stuff, no matter how long I'm outside.

I will say that I have had my mother once ask "are you putting on foundation?! for going to the beach?!" to which i just responded "it's the only sunscreen product that doesn't break me out", so I'm sure if a friend did notice you were wearing it that would be a reasonable explanation.

So yeah, wearing makeup (especially in the summer) sucks, but I have to come to terms with it. Everyone has their flaws... at least I'm thin and don't have to be self conscious about wearing a bikini!