Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ocenforcer29

Should I have Skipped Doxy and Went Straight to Accutane?

Hey All,

I finally went in to see a Derm, and she prescribed me 100mg Doxycycline twice a day with 3% Differin at night and a Glycolic Acid wash for the next three months. I'm coming up on one week using these, so I haven't really noticed any differences yet.

It seems like those that don't respond to oral antibiotics then get put on Accutane. Should I have just skipped Doxy and gone to Accutane up front to make sure my acne goes away? I'm just worried that if the Doxy doesn't work, I just wasted three months that I could have been on Accutane and had my acne gone. I've looked into Accutane and I'm willing to take on the risks and side effects to get rid of my acne.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by ocenforcer29

Some people respond really well to antibiotics though, so all you can do is wait and see if this works for you.

How severe is your acne?

I had moderate acne and used an antibiotic which got rid of my acne for a few years. Unfortunately it did come back, but I took the antibiotic course when I was quite young so I guess I had a higher risk of relapsing.

It can take up to 4-6 weeks for the Doxy to take effect. Some respond to it immediately. When I broke out really bad about 13 years ago, the Doxy didn't work fast enough for my derm and I was prescribed accutane. The doxy did keep my cystic acne under control for the last 10 or so years. I went off of doxy cold turkey for digestive reasons (big mistake) and my cystic acne came back bad but not as bad as 13 years ago.

I tried to get back on doxy but it didn't really do anything within the 5 weeks I retook it. I'm back on accutane now.

For your case, if it's severe cystic/nodal acne and it's covering too much of your face then I would just skip to accutane. My acne covered up 70% of my face within 2 months, it was that bad. If your acne is moderate, I would give the doxy a chance to work. If that doesn't work then accutane is one last step. You could also look into dietary/lifestyle changes that could be causing your acne.

Some people respond really well to antibiotics though, so all you can do is wait and see if this works for you.

How severe is your acne?

I had moderate acne and used an antibiotic which got rid of my acne for a few years. Unfortunately it did come back, but I took the antibiotic course when I was quite young so I guess I had a higher risk of relapsing.

It's moderate.

Thanks for the replies - I have hte doxy already so I'll let it run its course, and hopefully it'll work.

How severe is your acne?

It's moderate.

Thanks for the replies - I have hte doxy already so I'll let it run its course, and hopefully it'll work.

A week is negligible when it comes to oral antibiotics. 2 months is kind of the bare minimum before you can start being able to tell if its working. And it takes 4-6 months before you would reach maximum benefit and can really say its not working.

My acne was moderate to severe(some cystic) and after 4 months of antibiotics and topicals my skin had improved a lot.