Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joris

bacteria in raw veggies

http://www.goteborgdaily.se/news/german-ou...rease-in-sweden

I dont know if most of you people have heard about this already but currently a lot of people in germany and some other countries in europe are ending up in the hospital after ingesting cucumbers. This is not some kind of unique case.

studies also show this, eg: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19919536

I remember a study showing that 10% of dutch spinach has ESBL. Although it was a very small study and probably not so accurate. Its still a concern. And one showing that half of the veggies out there can contain harmfull bacteria. I didnt feel like searching for these studies again...

I know there are a lot of raw foodist out here, and veggie intake is high. I wouldnt be to concerned yet. Its not really bad yet. But I would wash your veggies good (also if organic) and wouldnt stress raw veggies that much. Maybe you wouldnt have to wash them if your farmer doesn't manure the plants or uses water that can get contaminated.

ps. indeed nothing to do with acne but it has to do with health of the people trying to fix their ance with diet and thus is better posted here than in the lounge.

Edited by joris

We have the same problem in Denmark.

Currently there are seven people in Denmark with kidney failure due to the E-coli bacteria,

and a dusin more on observation.

These days I am boiling all my vegetables. They say, that it´s only vegetables from Spain and Germany, and maybe Holland, but I am not taken any chances. Better to be safe.

There are already three dead in Germany because of it, so be carefull.

well there isnt a big chance youll die right? As long as you are young...

I still eat some tomatoes and lettuce. But im gonna reduce that for now. Also not going to make green smoothies.

Edited by joris

If you are young and healthy, I dont think so. You will probably just get really really sick.

I just boil it to be safe.

Edited by Elvin83

always wash your veggies, always eat organic raw. If manure is used in production of organic veggies it must also be organic, the odds of containing the deadly strain of Ecoli in organic manure is significantly reduced.

thats true ayla although its starting to get into organic meat also -.- Its getting so screwed up...

blech. Yeah, I remember an organic spinach recall a few years back. It almost always seems to be the large scale producers that have the contamination... buying locally may be beneficial in this as well.

Take care of your immune system by eating right and consume various probiotic strains that help your body deal with these infections.

b. breve and L rhamnosus are supposed to help protect you from E. Coli. And the L. Rhamnosus is supposed to be the most beneficial for Candida. There's more info on various strains in this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Kefir-and...&hl=ferment