Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone here had success using a topical to help with shallow scarring? Any over the counter products they think helps? Any suggestion would be so awesome! I'm desperate.confused.gif

Hey Clare,

Glad things are going well for you besides the scaring. Ice pick scars I think are the worst because they last FOREVER until your body slowly produces the collagen to thicken the scar. If you have the money, or your insurance might cover some, you should look into TCA CROSS (trichloroacetic acid and chemical reconstruction of skin scars) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnuHogM7_Y. \

In the mean time, you could probably ask your derm about retin-a or something along those lines. It won't do much because it's really for shallow scaring. If not, you could also look into an otc retinol to help collagen production. Olay, Roc, and even neutrogena have a lot of products that could help you

Paul: This drug really seems to be the perfect match for my skin problems. I really am thankful because up until Accutane, nothing could combat my acne. It really is a godsend. Can't wait til I'm finished... the time has really flown by though. How are you? Have you decided to go the Accutane route?

Eva: Good luck on your labs! I'm sure everything will be fine. I was really worried for my last labs too because I was drinking probably once a weekend since my birthday. But my numbers were good. Towards the last few months before I began Accutane, I started developing cystic acne on my chin. It got to a point where my chin was never clear - having at least 2 large zits on my chin always. After one would heal, I could feel another forming beneath the skin. It was awful. I was even wondering if Accutane would fix my chin. Just a story of encouragement for you because it did heal my chin so it will definitely heal yours... and sounds like it's already working its magic for you. wub.png That's great!

Shannon: Thank you for the suggestions! I've heard about OTC retinols and that they are quite good. I may give that a shot. I do have shallow scarring so I may possibly have a success with these items. I have Retin-A leftover from awhile back so I may give that a go... probably after I finish Accutane though. Any idea if I can use them together? I am thinking no, but dryness isn't an issue for me atm.

I'm doing alright thanks, Clare. Been away for a few days, think the change did me good.

Plenty of things I still need to resolve, but I'll work on it one thing at a time. I keep telling myself that I need to stop stressing about stuff and just let any anxieties go. There's no real sense in being anxious about things which might happen - it's better to save that energy for when it's actually needed, and just go with the flow.

As far as my skin is concerned, there's not much happening at all these days. A few pimples here and there but nothing to really upset me. Certainly nothing I could show my doctor and say, "This warrants Accutane". It's strange to almost wish that my skin would break out badly like it used to, just once, then I'd have some ammunition, so to speak, and could set off on my way to clearing it once and for all. Not that I want that to happen, I suppose it's just because I'd rather not be trying to second-guess what my skin's going to do all the time. I'll just see how it goes. If things were to kick off again, I'm fully prepare to make sure I get Accutane.

I've changed my regimen which has helped a lot, been using Manuka honey as a cleanser for about a month now, with a few drops of tea tree oil and a little jojoba oil. The tea tree has done a great job on pimples and the jojoba is stopping my skin being dry. Oh, and the Manuka honey tastes yummy! lol.gif

smile.png

Paul: This drug really seems to be the perfect match for my skin problems. I really am thankful because up until Accutane, nothing could combat my acne. It really is a godsend. Can't wait til I'm finished... the time has really flown by though. How are you? Have you decided to go the Accutane route?

Edited by PaulH85

Clare,

that does give me hope, I'm super dry and breakouts are generally little whiteheads now but in clusters, its a process of managing my dry skin and flakey bits where the skin is healing. Thanks for the encouragement. Posted photos so you can judge! xxx

Eva,

Jojoba oil has really helped me with the flakes. You've probably heard of it. I saw your photos... looking awesome girl. I can definitely tell your chin is clearing up. It looks much less active. With makeup you look completely flawless. I'm jealous of your lips by the way! Haha. smile.png

Paul,

Ah, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could control all our stresses and emotions? Life would be much easier. I know what you mean about the anxiety. At least you've got your mind in the right state. No use dwelling on maybes and possibilities, that's for sure.

That's great your generally clear, I can understand how you just want to be rid of it completely. Have you considered that since your acne has slowed down perhaps your body is phasing out of the acne stage? That would be wonderful and totally possible...

Yeah, considered it for a moment, then figured it's perhaps best not to get my hopes up plus I'm yet to look in the mrror today so I've no idea what awaits me! :lol:

Despite the fact I want it to happen and it's what we're all aiming for, I feel it would be strange without it. Funny how the mind works - that I could hate it yet perhap be kind of attached to it in dome way given that I don't actually remember life without it or how I behaved before it.

Nice to hear you're benefitting from using Jojoba oil, Clare. As I said, it's new to me but I'm glad I gave it a try. I think I've always bee cautious with anything which is an oil, wondering if it would clog my pores or add to the sometimes oily appearance of my skin, but that hasn't happened. Also I think when I've added it to the Manuka, it kind of acts as a barrier against the water when I wash, so a little stays behind so stops me washing away and drying out the natural oils. I had a bit of dryness on my forehead a couple of days ago and a very small amount of Jojoba was enough to get rid of it the very same day and the skin was then nice and soft. It's a bonus that it's all natural so I'm not using harsh chemicals like before. These things seem to last longer as well because less is needed, so it probably saves money in the long run, too.

:)

Hi Clare-

Thought I'd come say hi. Didn't want you to think that I had forgotten about you. Amazing how busy life has gotten. I hope things are going well for you.

Paul,

That's great natural products are working for you. I was using BP for awhile before Accutane. It left bleach marks all over my pillows... it made me a little concerned of what it might be doing to my skin and body eusa_think.gif . Glad to have left BP behind. smile.png

I used to do raw honey masks. I didn't use it as a wash. That's interesting though. I always thought that leaving it on the skin would allow honey's antibacterial properties to better absorb. That was a guess though. Must be nice not having to sit for 15 minutes with a sticky face wink.png . I loved how smooth and fresh my skin felt. Raw honey is amazing.

I know exactly what you mean about the state of mind you fear with no acne. I was thinking about this before I started Accutane when I was weighing all its pros and cons. I think that we've become so obsessed, many of us for years, with acne. I know what lighting I need to avoid, what makeup is best, theories to why we have acne, what makes me break out, what products do not work and the endless search for what does, etc., etc., etc. It's eased up now for me but I was at a point where I never once stopped thinking about my skin. It was depressing and transformed my whole thinking. It's incredible how much one obsession can be so destructive. Being able to let go of this habit and mind set is like re-wiring our own thinking that we have become so dependent upon for years. It sounds silly but I see it like any other addiction. The obsessive thinking that comes with acne, especially after having acne for so long, must be hard to change. I think that is the problem. I will be glad to be rid of acne but where do I now put all my focus? What is my next biggest problem? It isn't acne, so now what? That is my take on it...

Again,

Hello! I haven't been much on this site either. Ever since they changed the site I no longer get emails on post updates and such. Things are going good for me, I hope for you too. I am going to read your log now... wink.png

Edited by Clare M.

I have been slowing down my updates because everything seems to be staying pretty constant. My lips are a battle though. They are always peeling and chapped and they look horrible. I scratch soooooo easily. I've been getting tons of paper cuts at work or random tears on my arms and hands. Right now I have a scratch on my forehead that I must have done in my sleep. The weird thing is that these cuts take forever to heal! Even a minor cut will take days to heal. They also are scarring pretty easily too. I have a few cuts that healed over on my hands that have left a nice little scar.

I have noticed my mood has been off. I don't know if it the Accutane or not. I felt very depressed this weekend which was strange because nothing was really wrong. I am very stressed about my anatomy exam and had an argument with my dad that day but really not enough to launch me into a depression. I didn't want to do anything, I was very snappy, I had no appetite. I felt off, not myself. I finally felt better after I went for a drive and listened to some music. I was wondering why I felt so bummed and my friend mentioned to me that it might be the Accutane. I hadn't even realized that may be possible. I know everybody gets their ups and downs but that was a strange day. I'll just keep a better track of my moods mellow.png .

I hope everybody is doing great. I'm going to post some pictures tomorrow most likely. smile.png

Edited by Clare M.

I feel like right now my skin isn't doing any more improving. I still have to wear plenty of concealer and powder because my redness will not let up. It is so weird how red my old acne spots are even though there hasn't been any acne there for over two months. It doesn't seem to be fading much either. It looks the same each day. I cringe every time I'm at the mirror applying makeup. With makeup on, I feel very confident in my appearance. I am still very self conscious about my scars but am getting as comfortable as I can with them because I figure they may not ever go away. cry.gif

My chapped lips are a pain in the ass. They are still breaking and peeling like crazy. I noticed I can go without washing my hair for a couple of days without getting a bit of oil collecting on my scalp. I've been washing my hair every two days now. It doesn't feel dried out either. I wouldn't mind keeping this side effect one bit! rolleyes.gif

I don't know if this has anything to do with Accutane but my allergies have been ridiculous lately. Actually, I don't even know if they are allergies since it's air conditioning that triggers my sneezes or running nose. It's awful. I'm always sniffling in class because the AC just turns my nose into a drippy faucet. sad.png

Must get some sleep for a test tomorrow!

Hey Clare,

just dropping by to let you know I am still following you! Sounds like you're in the healing phase of this journey! Congrats!!!

Eves xxx

Thanks girls for the encouragement... means a lot! We're more than half way done!! Woop! biggrin.png

I thought I'd comment today because I'm having a pretty serious problem right now... not completely sure if Accutane has a major role in this but I think it has been a contributor. Well, as you know I've been having some serious allergy problems. Constant sniffling, sneezing, itchy throat, and itchy nose. I woke up the other night in a sneezing fit with my throat and nose really scratchy. As of right now, my nose is so sore inside and hurts really bad. I looked into my nose and noticed tiny tears within that are the source of all the pain!! It is horrible! I think it's a combo of the allergies, itchiness, and the dryness from the Accutane. I've been lubing it up with Vaseline, Aquaphor, Neosporin, coconut oil, you name it. Ughhhh, I hope it heals a little more tomorrow. On top of that, I have incredibly broken, swollen lips. I'm so stupid and picked the skin when they were peeling and now the corner of my lips are red, swollen, and tender. I can't even open my mouth too much or it stings incredibly. I also have a really bad canker sore on my cheek inside my mouth. Really???!! All this at once is so ridiculous. Thought I'd mention this since and I know I'm being a bit dramatic but this is hell! I'm also getting a cold because I can feel a bit of a sore throat. Fantastic!!

Sorry guys, had to vent! Hope you all are doing much better!

Hi Clare- just to let you know i have the exact same thing! the inside of my nose is icredibly dry had so many cuts and scratches up there and I have so many cuts and scratches everyday when i wake up on my face on my arms and legs. Obviously its down to scratching in the night. I have been taking a antihistimine everyday which helps with the sniffling. And i bought some gloves to wear at night to stop my self from scratching. Put vaseline inside your nose every night and it will protect it from scratching. Good luck :)

Ooooh.......Clare, I'm sorry. I put vaseline in my nose every morning and night to prevent the dryness and it has helped so much. Feel better soon!

Thanks guys! I really wasn't even aware of the extreme dryness in my nose so I wasn't putting any vaseline up there. Feels a little better today but man it still stings!! I can lightly scratch my arm and the scratch line is all white and dry. It's like this extreme dryness happened over night!

So the nose and cracked lip issue is not letting up. It feels like possibly a cold sore in the corner of my lip but it doesn't look like one. I've never even had a cold sore before. I load the Vaseline all over my lips before bed but my skin seems to dry a lot during the night and I wake up with my lips all dried out and stuck together that it hurts to open my mouth in the morning. Same goes for the nose. I use a Q-tip to put the Vaseline inside and I get it really moisturized only to find it all dried out, cracked, and really sore in the morning. I don't really know what to do about this. I'm constantly applying Vaseline or antibiotic ointment at work (probably every 30 minutes) because it gets ridiculously painful (both nose and lip). I think it has been about a week now since I first noticed this. I am confused why it isn't healing or why it's taking so long to.

My allergies are flaring up also (probably for the past month). My eyes water, throat itches, and I have a runny nose constantly. Allergy medication hasn't done anything for me. I really don't know what to do. Nothing is working or getting better. I can't wait until I'm off Accutane... doubt.gif

So the nose and cracked lip issue is not letting up. It feels like possibly a cold sore in the corner of my lip but it doesn't look like one. I've never even had a cold sore before. I load the Vaseline all over my lips before bed but my skin seems to dry a lot during the night and I wake up with my lips all dried out and stuck together that it hurts to open my mouth in the morning. Same goes for the nose. I use a Q-tip to put the Vaseline inside and I get it really moisturized only to find it all dried out, cracked, and really sore in the morning. I don't really know what to do about this. I'm constantly applying Vaseline or antibiotic ointment at work (probably every 30 minutes) because it gets ridiculously painful (both nose and lip). I think it has been about a week now since I first noticed this. I am confused why it isn't healing or why it's taking so long to.

My allergies are flaring up also (probably for the past month). My eyes water, throat itches, and I have a runny nose constantly. Allergy medication hasn't done anything for me. I really don't know what to do. Nothing is working or getting better. I can't wait until I'm off Accutane... doubt.gif

I'm sorry about your pain :(, at night I notice my nose gets especially dry, but by morning time it's nice and moist again (weird, cause I breath through my nose when I sleep more than when I'm awake) When I first started I noticed my nose getting real dry, but I put some aquaphor in them and it helped almost instantly. Maybe you should invest in the tub? I know it might seem identical to vaseline itself, but Aquaphor has lanolin in it which actually helps heal the skin. Vaseline- or straight petroleum jelly- acts as a barrier but doesn't heal the skin. I actually thought I'd be using it quite a bit on my lips, but actually haven't used it all that much. I am OBSESSED with blistex medex. It also has lanolin in it but a little bit more like cocoa butter, and most importantly camphor (increases blood flow, helps reduce pain and swelling). So yeah, I've researched both products extensively ( I won't buy any product before checking the rating on MUA, lol), maybe you could have some look with them as well?

How is your skin doing? Any breakouts etc?

Hey Clarey, how are you doing? Sorry to hear about your allergies? My eyes weep occasionally when I wake up but I've not experienced much in the allergy field. Touchwood! Anyway how is the skin!?

xxx

Shannon,

I started using Neosporin yesterday and today and feel like that is doing the trick. It was much less dry and painful today. I think you're right about the Vaseline - that's all I had been using for the past week with no signs of healing. I am a little worried though because I was researching a bit online about Vaseline in the nose and I came across a few sites saying it could cause pneumonia of the lungs!?? Have you ever heard of that? Besides that - I really like Aquaphor. It's my best lip protectant besides the Vaseline. I also like Blistex too - I might try the one you mentioned... I lost my last one. Thanks for all the suggestions! My skin is going great, no new acne or anything. A little hung up on this redness that won't go away and the scarring. We will see though... wink.png. Glad to hear your Accutane journey has been going fairly smoothly so far though!

Eva,

I am doing pretty good, thank you. Slightly overwhelmed with school but that is nothing new! Ughhh, my eyes get so watery that tears drip out... these allergies are ridiculous. Skin is going good. It's really red STILL so it looks like tons of PIH. I'm hideous without makeup. redface.gif

How are you doing? How's Accutane treating you this far in?

Edited by Clare M.

So I thought I would post some pictures. I wish my camera was better so you could see everything more clearly. I took them in the bathroom. You can see the scarring on my cheeks. I can only post 2 pictures at a time so scroll down... wink.png

It won't let me upload anymore pictures for some reason... can't see the scarring much on these pics at all because it's huge and blurry. Ahh waste of time.

post-150559-0-97286600-1318487068_thumb.

post-150559-0-97286600-1318487068_thumb.

Edited by Clare M.

Ahhh, you look amazing! You truly do. I'm trying not to compare, but I would love to look like you. Lookin good Clare! Really, you are.

About the vaseline, yeah I know-scary. BUt, I still use it. :) Maybe I'm just dumb. Haha

You. look. awesome! I know its frustrating that the scars won't go away but your shots are pretty close up and I don't see anything! I know it is still really bothersome but don't let it get you down! Seriously your skin looks amazing. I hope mine looks that good.

Try posting a link to a website such as photobucket. All you do is sign up load the photos and then post the link! But everyone is right, your skin looks fabulous. I wished my skin looked so good! Sorry to harp on but do you remember when I told you about the torn patch of skin and it was red raw... you said you had experienced that. It now seems to be healing at a different level to my normal skin. Did you experience that and it eventually levelled up?? I'm freaking out as in natural light it seems very obvious.

I asked my derm and he was pretty dismissive but now it seems like the biggest thing in the world. Make up can cover it in certain lights but in harsh lighting it seems like a dark patch which is depressed and you can tell skin was torn off as it is lower down! Argh help. Obsessive much!?

Eves xxx