Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eddy

body dysmorphic disorder

Has anyone everbeen told that they have body dysmorphic disorder. That they scars they see are really not noticeable to anyone else.

I think me scar is soo ugly and obvious, yet people tell me they don't see any scar. If I point it out to them they say its soo small.

I actually went to see a counselor and she says the same. She doesn't see a scar and feels that I suffer from body dysmorphic disorder.

I guess I haven't accpted that because I looked in the mirror earlier and the scar is soo obvious and ugly.

Would love to know everyones thoughts and experiences..........

When I went to see a plastic surgeon in Orange County, CA re: Isolagen, one of the first things he told me to do was to get a book on bdd, forgot what book it is. But he said it'll be the best $20 I could spend. Anyhow, for those who don't know what bdd is, it's a condition whereas you find a feature of yourself which you continuously obsess over when others barely notice any defect. Now, If I were Ashton Kutcher and stressed day and night over one chicken pox on the cheek, which he has, I'd admit I have bdd. But that's not the case as far as I'm concerned. And it may not be the case for you.

Yes, it's also true that people, especially people who care, are going to tell you the nicest thing possible, even though I think it can be counter-productive. My mother, for instance, always says that my scars are hardly noticeable. You can see my scars in the gallery. Another example, a couple of weeks ago I went canoeing with my dad, and I told him that I was seeing a dermatologist for acne, and he said, "I didn't know you had acne," but then he sort of cleared his throat as if to say he didn't want to talk about it. Maybe it's better not to talk about it, since it makes me look like a self-absorbed ninny, but it's so painful to me, I feel like I need to discuss it with somebody. For that reason, among others, I am really grateful for this forum. Anyway, I know how you feel. It feels like I'm going crazy or something, or it used to a year or two ago, before I finally came to terms with my appearance. I do think that I focus on just that one area when I look in the mirror, though, even if it is not the whole picture.

I didn't know that it was called body dysmorphic disorder, but I have noticed it before in a few people. Whenever I go to a doc about my skin these days, I walk in, and when they ask: What can I do for you? I answer with: You tell me what you can improve. smile.gif Just to make sure that others see the same flaws as my hypersensitive eyes see in the mirror. Most people would never be truly honest about your scars, because real honesty is so cruel. Another thing about that is the fact that once you fix acne scars, you suddenly notice that you have a huge nose, or crossed eyes. blink.gif

Another thing about that is the fact that once you fix acne scars, you suddenly notice that you have a huge nose, or crossed eyes.  blink.gif

I can agree with everything johnchlebeck said....

I will also say that my hairloss problem which seems to have began at some point last year really woke me up to everything going wrong with me. I knew I had acne scars, but I think I was ok with them, until the hairloss came upon me. I'm on Propecia and Rogaine and have the hair problem under control (I hope)... but I know eventually I'm going to be bald, and being bald means more light on my face, more shadows, more visible acne scars. I'm being proactive. Everyone thinks I'm insane over my hairloss and acne scars. They call me vain. They have no idea how painful this is. Call it vain, call it whatever, it's not living until I fix it.

I see a therapist and she thinks I have a bit of body dysmorphia as well as agorophobia which is another story. Anyway, what people dont realize about me at least is that I dont think my scars are horrible, esp. compared to people with real problems such as life threatening illness or hardcore physical problems but these acne scars are there, whether someone wants to admit that or not, and for many of us they truly do inhibit us in our everyday lives. This doesnt occur out of thin air. Whether people want to admit it or not, many parts of the world are obsessed with beauty...oddly, were not even obsessed with beauty, we would just like to be more"normal"....I dont understand how some people shrug us off and act as if were being fanatic...I ,too was like that before I developed scars...For those who can live happy lives despite their scarring, I commend you and would love to be like you, but people spend thousands of dollars on vacations they dont need, cars that are way too expensive, and other extravagent things...getting procedures done to improve your scars is just the same...if it makes you happy, go for it!

I will also say that my hairloss problem which seems to have began at some point last year really woke me up to everything going wrong with me. I knew I had acne scars, but I think I was ok with them, until the hairloss came upon me. I'm on Propecia and Rogaine and have the hair problem under control (I hope)... but I know eventually I'm going to be bald, and being bald means more light on my face, more shadows, more visible acne scars. I'm being proactive. Everyone thinks I'm insane over my hairloss and acne scars. They call me vain. They have no idea how painful this is. Call it vain, call it whatever, it's not living until I fix it.

I will also say that my hairloss problem which seems to have began at some point last year really woke me up to everything going wrong with me.  I knew I had acne scars, but I think I was ok with them, until the hairloss came upon me.  I'm on Propecia and Rogaine and have the hair problem under control (I hope)... but I know eventually I'm going to be bald, and being bald means more light on my face, more shadows, more visible acne scars.  I'm being proactive.  Everyone  thinks I'm insane over my hairloss and acne scars.  They call me vain.  They have no idea how painful this is.  Call it vain, call it whatever, it's not living until I fix it.

Here's a tip for hair loss: use a topical anti-androgen shampoo and conjunction with propecia or avodart. The best topicals to use are nizoral 2% and spironolactone, which work wonders.

I don'ot have this problem personally but have friends that do, and the above made their hairline grow back out.

Ok, now you have me dwelling on my thinning hair! Guess I'll put hair transplant in my list of things to do. bb_eusa_think.gif

Remember the Star Trek episode where Harry Mudd gave the girl a placebo and it made her turn beautiful just like the real drug? I think that at least half of good looks are internal. I mean, a confident smile is as attractive as a perfect chin or smooth skin. Food for thought.

Funny thing. I red this post yesterday and today, while taking a bath I noticed that my belly looks bigger. Really, funny. And I'm not kidding.

Ok, now you have me dwelling on my thinning hair! Guess I'll put hair transplant in my list of things to do. bb_eusa_think.gif

Remember the Star Trek episode where Harry Mudd gave the girl a placebo and it made her turn beautiful just like the real drug? I think that at least half of good looks are internal. I mean, a confident smile is as attractive as a perfect chin or smooth skin. Food for thought.

interesting posts, and I am glad too that this forum exists. The best posts always come from Oldguy...;-)

Do you think that Brad Pitt - most sexiest man alive - is unhappy about his acne scars? He has many scars...

I've never been told I have bdd. But then, my scars are noticeable to others. I think I have a tendency toward bdd though because if I use a magnifying mirror, my scars become larger in my mind and I can barely stand to look at myself. Needless to say, I had to put the magifying mirror aside.

Lately I've been trying to ween myself off of this forum too although I appreciate its existence, like John said...

I've actually become happier and MORE at peace with my skin taking a break from here. I know I absolutely have BDD even tho I also believe my flaws to truly be obvious and ugly!!! I posted my pics on here a while back and the really nice comments made me feel good but I also thought, if only they could see what I REALLY look like. My mom has told me countless times my scars are not that noticeable and that my skin looks good and that I have a mental issue, my boyfriend looks at me as if i've lost my mind when I question my appearance, and a former acting teacher (it was an elective i do not want to act haha) told me my looks would open doors for me and I should embrace that (I felt that maybe he was mocking me or joking, I still don't believe him, i thought he was nuts).

When i look in the mirror I ONLY fixate on the flaws, the messed up tooth, the scarred cheek, blah, blah, blah and I worry about the future, like omigod what if this happens or that looks wise. I had BDD I guess before but since a past illness that caused this damage i cannot get past it and have even felt suicidel at times.

I can spend hours in front of the mirror which I've forced myself to stop doing. Doing that simple step, my looks to me improve by a lot just because I'm not tuning in to every miniscule detail until I begin to see microcopic flaws. I know the flaws are there, they really are but maybe they're a much tinier fraction of how I perceive them to be.

True story: I opened up a fortune cookie when I felt really bad about myself and this is what it said: Treasure what you have....And I'm trying to do that everyday and just living my life because you never know, the way you are today may be the person you miss and wish you were tomorrow.

Hey Chloe, I know what you mean about trying to wean off this forum as I feel the same.

I feel that I'm obsessing about my skin ALOT more than I used to and even though it's good to have this support network here, I also think that it's good to have a break from trying to keep two steps ahead of this condition.

I do have BDD and a nasty habit of picking my skin and making it a hundred times worse. Apparently to others I have clear skin with no scars...To me though it couldn't be further from the truth. I see a face with scars and bumps and most of the time when I look in the mirror I get so depressed.

I'm going to try avoiding mirrors, the only problem is when I catch my reflection in windows etc...

BDD can be treated, but it usually is a symptom of another underlying problem (which is what a psychiatrist once told me). So basically it's not really my skin that I'm worrying about, that's all a distraction. And once my skin clears, which it has done in the past, I'll just start fretting about another aspect of my appearance...

I have tried in the past to treat it but simple tricks keep it in check. Such as forcing myself out of the house when I just want to curl up and hide from the world. I'd love to learn to be more confident about my appearance and look at all the positive features that I have rather than focus on every little bump and scar on my face...

Blade has a good point. I don't know about Brad but Brian Adams has acne scars that you can easily see. It hasn't held him back. I suppose not everyone will know who he is. He's a singer from Vancouver and he's famous in Canada if that counts for anything.

Probably everyone participating in this website has this disorder to a degree. Some days I think I have to get rid of my scars becuase I want perfect skin but other days when I see someone with a real problem and not just very superficial scarring I think don't torture yourself about this. Everyone I know thinks I should see a psychiatrist because nobody understands why I obsess about something that I have to point out and people still don't see.

So I suppose what I am saying is that we always tend to be our own worst enemies. If you want to feel better sometimes watching Oprah is enough to make me think I have no worries compared to the sufferings of some.

Blade has a good point. I don't know about Brad but Brian Adams has acne scars that you can easily see. It hasn't held him back. I suppose not everyone will know who he is. He's a singer from Vancouver and he's famous in Canada if that counts for anything.

Probably everyone participating in this website has this disorder to a degree. Some days I think I have to get rid of my scars becuase I want perfect skin but other days when I see someone with a real problem and not just very superficial scarring I think don't torture yourself about this. Everyone I know thinks I should see a psychiatrist because nobody understands why I obsess about something that I have to point out and people still don't see.

So I suppose what I am saying is that we always tend to be our own worst enemies. If you want to feel better sometimes watching Oprah is enough to make me think I have no worries compared to the sufferings of some.

I read that Brad Pitt now uses Restylane, his wife gave him this tip... google a little bit...

Brian Adams (great music - very popular in Germany) has huge scars IMO, but it is quite interesting that the most sexiest man alive is a scarface...

OursFan, Personally, I'm shopping for a mirror that uses Photoshop filters. But, perhaps even more shocking than my filtered pseudo good looks would be the fact that Brian Adams is popular in Germany. I guess Hasslehoff finally got on their nerves.

Yeah , someone at work noted that Brad Pitt got SOMETHING done because his scars seem to have been totally wiped out, he didn't know what it was. I guess he had success with a filler.