Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul86

Paul's Minocycline / Accutane Journal

Hey everyone. For those of you who don't know, I'm 17 and have had acne for 5 or 6 years.

I had a doctor's appointment on Friday and I brought up my acne. I told him that's it's really been getting me down lately. I was going to ask about accutane, but before I did, he suggested it. He just wants a derm's approval though.

I was referred to a derm, but I might not get in until February. Can you believe that?! Until then I'll be taking 50mg of mino. Does this dose seem a little low to all of you? I was only given 50 capsules so I have to go back to see my doctor before I finish them. I might ask if he can increase the dose.

I'll try to update this as much as I can with my progress (if any) wink.gif

All comments are appreciated smile.gif

Hey smile.gif It's good that he suggested accutane...but damn that's a long wait to see a dermatologist. I guess that's the maximum amount of time though...?

I have these really itchy cysts on my jaw, close to my ears. Hopefully they will go away soon.

My mom said the right side of my face was looking clearer. I don't know if she was just saying this.

As I'm typing this, I'm feeling a bit nauseous.

I'd ask for 100MG twice daily.. Family doctors really know nothing since it's not their area of expertise.. I was also in a similar situation.. Went to see local doctor first and he prescribed 100MG of mino with no topical.. Then saw Derm in August and said I need twice daily 100MG + Retin-A Micro.. and if that doesn't work, Accutane.

It's been 6 days now. So far so good. My mom keeps commenting on my skin. She says it has a different tone now.

I'm trying to decide if I want to start using BP again. I'm just using Cetaphil to cleanse right now. I'm switching from using the Mach 3 to Sensor Excel for shaving. Hopefully it'll be less irritating.

I found out that I can't get a derm. appointment until February because skin cancer patients have greater priority over someone with acne.

Well, it's been a while since I've given an update. Just started school this week. I've been busy, and lazy too.

It's been 14 days now and my skin is looking alright. I think I'll get around to posting pictures some time.

I like the Sensor Excel just as much as my Mach 3 and am glad I'll be paying less for the blades. Earlier this week I ordered 2 tubes of Dan's bp gel, so I'm going to start using it as soon as it arrives.

Even if this combination does clear me up pretty well, I think I'm still going to want to go on accutane since my skin is so oily. I think if I stopped taking mino, the acne would just return.

I'm just taking this one day at a time.

I guess that's it for now.

Paul smile.gif

I've been taking mino for about a month now. Time really flies.

Anyway, I'm really happy with my results. I don't even have one pimple right now, on my face. Have lots of red marks, of course. Lots of cysts on my back still.

Went to the drug store tonight and bought a probiotic - lactobacillus and acidophilus. I was thinking that the mino was killing the good bacteria in my GI tract because I would always get really bad gas in the afternoon. It makes it really uncomfortable to do my job at my CO-OP. The pharmacist told me to start off with 3 for the first month since I've been on antibiotics for a month already. I'll be starting tomorrow.

I just got a small pimple on my temple this morning and it's already smaller this evening. I think I'll put a little bit of leftover BP on it before I go to bed.

I've been on mino for 30 days now.

I've got two big cysts on the left side of my face right now. I'm sure they'll go away soon with the antibiotics, but it's so frustrating. mad.gif

They broke open on their own last night and I put some Polysporin on them. This has always been a problem area for me.

hey paul, good to see that youre making some progress. i did 2 courses of it, however after stopping i always began to break out again. im on accutane now, only 10 days in tho. are you still gonna go for it when you finally get in to see the derm? btw, im from ontario too! wooo! haha! anyways, good luck w/ the mino!

Hey! It's been a while. I'm glad people are reading this. smile.gif

Anyway. I went back to my doctor last week and he gave me the same prescription - 50mg for 50 days. He also said that he would take me off for a while, after this. I was wondering what the hell I would do for those few months.

The good news though is that this derm. will be coming to my town soon and I'll probably be one of the first on his list.

Not too long ago the trouble spot flared up again. I've also had this sore spot above my lip that's been there since before that. I won't even mention how bad my back is now.

Best of luck Princess

Paul

I've posted a picture that I took yesterday. That would be day 64. I don't think the scars are too visible, but they're there.

On Monday I took a whole bunch of Ibuprofen through out the day, hoping that the inflamation would go down. It did, but I became very depressed. sad.gif

I'll post another picture in a few weeks. I'll also try to get it to be a little clearer.

Paul,

Where in Ontario are you from? Why don't you ask your family doctor to refer you to a different derm. I only had to wait 2-3 weeks to see mine (in North York--GTA Area). Let me know if you live in the Toronto area and I'll give you my derms name. She put me on Accutane right away!

Lisa