Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HiImMatt

Milk? Milk? Milk?

I'm sure a question like this has been asked before, but im gonna ask it again cause i could'nt find anything about it. So, does milk cause acne? Has anyone noticed a breakout after drinking some? I have literally gave up milk like a year ago and a half ago and i miss it so much. I miss cinnamon toast crunch ceral, Chocolate milk, dipping oreo cookies in it, or just drinking it when my mouth is on freaking fire, lol ya know? But i can't go back to it until i know for sure my acne is either completey gone and im done with it, or proof that the milk wont cause it. So, is there any proof that milk causes acne? Have you asked a derma? I would really like to know. Thanks.

Edited by HiImMatt

Hi HiImMatt :)

The answer to your question is unequivocally: YES! YES!! YES!!!

ALL dairy items cause acne in acne prone people. AVOID MILK & DAIRY LIKE THE PLAGUE if you want clear skin. There are lots of scientific evidence. Google it. And if you don't believe me, just start eating and drinking dairy and see what happens. You have been warned though...

I would advise trying yummy rice milk or almond milk. Even vanilla soy milk on rare occasions is fine. And you could add coconut milk to lots of dishes like rice. So don't be brainwashed into thinking your body needs milk or dairy or that it's delicious. I mean, commercial milk is filled with COW PUS, antibiotics, hormones and who knows what else???!!! YUK!!!! :wacko:

Hope this cures your "craving"!!

AS :)

Edited by aquasea

Despite the vigorous and unequivocal claims of the above poster, I have not seen any personal correlation, let alone causation, between my milk consumption and my acne. Like you, I have long enjoyed milk, both for its taste and for its nutritional benefits, but I was willing to cut it out (along with all dairy, in fact) if it would help my skin. However, I did not find this to be the case, and it seems that regardless of the milk I drink, I have some good days and some bad days. It likely varies for each individual, so if you're willing to give it a shot, you might (or might not) be able to add it back in with no problems. Just be sure that if you do, you don't obsess about it to the point of having stress-induced breakouts. :shifty:

Hm. Well MY answer is absolutely NO.

Maybe for some people milk affects their skin. But it definitely does NOT affect mine. I cut out dairy for a good three months. No real change. For the past 7 months or so I've been having WAY more milk than EVER before and my skin has been the best it has been since I first started getting cystic acne over 5 years ago.

It's possible that there is a difference between organic milk and regular milk, milk from cows treated with growth hormones, and milk that comes from cows not treated with growth hormone. I would stick to the safer side and get either organic milk or milk from cows not treated with growth hormone (will say "milk comes from cows not treated with rBST").

It definitely does not "cause" acne. But I can see how it might trigger that kind of systemic response in certain people - maybe people who have digestive problems or people who are sensitive to the hormones that can be present in milk, which in turn may cause acne to develop as an outward symptom of an internal issue.

Just wanted to add:

Rice "milk" tastes like rice water (yuck), and almond milk and soy milk contain phytoestrogens (plant hormones) that mimic real estrogen in our bodies and can cause issues on their own. If I was a guy, I would not want to add a bunch of female hormones to my diet. Even as a female, I try to stay away from the stuff these days, just because it can affect your reproductive system.

Everyone's different. You just have to experiment and see for yourself!

Some people can't even have grains.Talk about rough...

I personally only have a diary product around once a week in a tiny amount. Such as a small amount of grated cheese on top of a salad. Having daily dairy intake increases inflammation in my skin.

Has cutting out dairy had any effect on your skin? If it hasn't, it might not worsen your acne. For me, there's a clear link between cystic pimples and dairy. When I don't eat any dairy products, I don't get cystic pimples - as simple as that. :surprised:

Just wanted to add:

Rice "milk" tastes like rice water (yuck), and almond milk and soy milk contain phytoestrogens (plant hormones) that mimic real estrogen in our bodies and can cause issues on their own. If I was a guy, I would not want to add a bunch of female hormones to my diet. Even as a female, I try to stay away from the stuff these days, just because it can affect your reproductive system.

I don't believe almond milk has phytoestrogens. luckily going off milk has helped my acne a Lot, but I couldn't replace it with soy milk because it still made me break out (b/c of the phytoestrogens), but almond milk does not, and in all my reading i have not found almond milk to contain phytoestrogens. so i'd recommend it as a safe and Delicious alternative, esp. whole foods vanilla almond milk.

Re: your comment about organic vs. regular milk - both contain hormones b/c estrogen naturally occurs in a pregnant cow's milk and we get it when we drink it. the difference is that organic has the natural estrogen and regular has added estrogen that the farmers (so kindly) inject the cows with to make them produce more milk... oh the wonderful world we live in...

Dairy is certainly a case-by-case basis. I found abandoning it effective, but I originally did it due to a lactose intolerance that developed about a year ago. Vanilla almond milk is ah-maaaazing!

My face did clear up from the change, mainly in the form of my pores shrinking and blackheads diminishing. I'm also not as inflamed and I'm positive it's due to eliminating milk.

I wanted to start drinking almond or soy milk instead of cow milk, but they're so expensive compared to cow milk. Having said that, dairy really doesn't seem to affect my acne one way or the other, so I'm giving another vote for the case-by-case basis. :)

I cut out dairy completely, and while it hasn't cleared my skin, it has reduced the frequency and severity. My husband quit dairy with me (and he hasn't changed ANYTHING else about diet, face washing, etc.) and his acne has been cut in half. He eats a lot of sugar and crap, so no-dairy had a huge effect. He used to get giant, multi-head pustules on his face, and now his zits are more normal-sized.