Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sinashgh

Antibiotics not working anymore!!!!!

Alright people this is my first post on this forum.

I have a question. Is what i'm going through right now normal or not.

here's the situation.

I've had relatively bad acne for about 3 years now!!

About 6 months ago I finally went to a dermatologist and he prescribe tetracycline for me (antibiotic pill that i took TWICE a day). I'm not sure about how many mg it was!!)

So I took it and it was a MIRACLE!!!!!!!! no new pimples were formed and i had clear skin....once my pills finished, we got new ones and it worked great up until 2nd time was finished. So that was like 5 months of antibiotic i think.

AFter that, it suddenly became INEFFECTIVE!!!!!! It was like before. I'd get pimples when i took pill too.

so i went to doctor again and he gave me a new more powerful antibiotic called Minocin 100MG and he said this one just ONCE a day!!!!!!

Since my last antibiotic had been ineffective for a while i was hoping this one would have an effect again like Tetracycline did at first.

but NOoooooooooo this one has just been like the latter days of tetracycline. It's not doing it for me.

So now i'm getting those pimples anyways so i'm tinking somehow my body isn't responding to it anymore like it did in first weeks.

so i'm thinking of cutting off antibiotics for a few weeks and goign on it AGAIN to see if body responds again!!!!!!

What do you think?

The problem here is that the doctor is using an antibiotic that is within the same family as the one that no longer works. Minocyline, doxycycline, and tetracycline are all part of the tetracycline family - so if you're immune to one, the chances of being immune to the rest is substantially higher.

If I were you, I would talk to him about switching to a macrolide antibiotic such as azithromycin (which is very effective for acne.) Or perhaps even bactrim, but bactim will cause photosensitivity in most individuals.

In the meantime, you really should keep in mind that antibiotics are rarely a permanant solution for acne. Bacterial resistance is common, so antibiotics are usually used as a bridge to clear the skin while a more permanant solution is used (eg. accutane or topicals)

Oh yeah...once you have bacterial resistance to a particular antibiotic, it won't go away even if you abstain from using it for an extended period of time. Won't work.

Oh yeah...once you have bacterial resistance to a particular antibiotic, it won't go away even if you abstain from using it for an extended period of time. Won't work.

Oh yeah...once you have bacterial resistance to a particular antibiotic, it won't go away even if you abstain from using it for an extended period of time.  Won't work.

damn this is certainly bad news!!

It means tetracycline and Minocyn will NEVER work for me again??? even i i dont use them for 10 years!!!!!

I'll ask him about other antibiotics then in different families.

by the way I HAVE other medications but i'm also taking these pills. But i'm never going to take accutane.

i have a medication i put on face and i will take antibiotics or do whatever it takes to stay away from acne as much as possible hopefully for next few years. Then i'm hoping it will leave me itself.

well as i said i dont want accutane.

and my acne isn't AS BAD as most people on this board probably so i'm thinking it could be a Permanent hting for a few years lol.

My permanent thing is my medication that i put on at night and day though....... Dalacin/Alcohol 120 and Resosinol and somethign else mixed up.

Well, like I said - an antibiotic from a different antibiotic "family" would be the best bet. Try ererythomycin (sp?) or azithromycin. Many people have had luck with the latter, and you only have to take it 3 times a week for stable blood levels.

Your derm may not have heard of it, but try suggesting it to him...there are plenty of studies out there showing it effective for acne.

I was on Minocycline for about 8 months which was my first antibiotic for acne. Around the 7 month I noticed that it didn't seem to clear me up as much as it had started out to do. I figured that I wouldn't get close to being 100% clear and feared that my acne may get back to it's old self.

So my doc told me to try Erythromycin which is a different form of antibiotic with a antibiotic topical Dalacin T. I am currently on this and my skin is looking far better than it did with Mino so maybe you should ask your doc/derm if they think you should change antibiotics.

When I switched though, around the 2-3 week mark I had an initial breakout, which I have heard is common. I had like 3 HUGE zits around my chin area which were painful. After this short period though things have only been getting better.

Good Luck!

thanks a lot evigrex and Rocknroll1234.

I'm goin to see him this wednesday. So i guess i'll tell him i WONT go OFF antibiotcs after all but i need a antibiotic from a different family from Minocycline and see what he suggests.

if he hasn't heard of it... then i'll bring up Erythomycin or Azithromycin.

thanks everyone

Oh yeah with mino I was told to take it twice a day at first for a few weeks then down to one a day. When it started getting bad again I went up to twice a day though.

With Erythro I have been told to take three times per day.

sorry Lydia what are topical??

i'm currently using minocyn as i said but it will run out in a few days. This wednesday i'm going to my doctor, so i'm going to ask him to give me an antibiotic from ANOTHER family like Erythrmocin or whatever..... since Minocyn has been totally ineffective.

now what are topical or whatever and also english aint my first language lol.

Is there anything else I should know?

sorry Lydia what are topical??

i'm currently using minocyn as i said but it will run out in a few days. This wednesday i'm going to my doctor, so i'm going to ask him to give me an antibiotic from ANOTHER family like Erythrmocin or whatever..... since Minocyn has been totally ineffective.

now what are topical or whatever and also english aint my first language lol.

Is there anything else I should know?

oh okay thakns for advice!

What i use is what i've been using for past 2 years now!!

Its 2 medicines one for morning one at night

the morning one is Dalacin, Alcohol 120 and something else

and night one is combination of Salysilic Acid, Alcohol and Resosinol i think!! I have it prescribed every 3 months when i run out of it.

it used to work wonders at first now i dont think it does that much!!

anyways i went to the doctor and he wanted to give Minocyn again i told him it dont work!!! I suggested he gave me anti-biotics from another family, he said he WILL if i want but he said in his own experience the likes of ""Erythormecin" have NEVER worked for his clients and that Minocyn is the BEST and Tetra 2nd best!

I told him okay but they dont work... so we might as well give this other ones a try! He said fine and prescribed "Erythermycin".