Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Meowingtons

Help - Where am I going wrong??

I've been on the paleo diet for around 6 months now after having severe acne on my chin. At first I didn't notice much difference til I cut out fruit not that long ago and things started improving quite well. However now things are just getting worse again.. I think it may be after a meal with wholegrain basmati rice but that was atleast 3 weeks ago.. My diet consists of: breakfast- 2or3 boiled eggs, handful of nuts containing brazil walnut and almond, a raw carrot and green tea. Lunch: salad with tinned fish in either olive oil or spring water and an apple cider vinegar dressing. Dinner: sweet potato, brocolli, aubergine, zucchini, spring onion, onion, spinach, garlic, butternut squash, asparagus and some spices and herbs. With this I'll have some form of meat. Steak, lamb liver, fish, turkey breast. All of this is cooked in virgin coconut oil or extra virgin oil. Supplements I take cod liver oil, evening primrose oil, zinc, l-glutamine all twice daily. Oh and as a snack I'll have dedicated coconut. I only drink water and green tea, sometimes a peppermint tea and I drink a lot. Sorry for the wall of text but i'm typing on phone.. So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Are you doing any form of exercise?

Getting enough sleep?

Making sure not to put any harsh crap on your face?

I walk around a mile a day, get 7-8 hours sleep a night and wash my face with tea tree and witch hazel foaming face wash twice a day.

I would try washing your face with only water for a while. The key is to have it clean but not stripped. Maybe try baby-mild castille soap?

Cutting out fruit is a good step, but there is still a lot of sugar/starch in your diet - carrots are high sugar, squash. Maybe you ought to try very low carbs, less than 30g a day?

Also, I'd steer clear of nuts. Very high in omega 6, which could throw off your EFA ratios. Plus, it's virtually impossible to get nuts that aren't pasteurized, which means the oils inside will have been oxidized.

DO NOT COOK WITH VEGETABLE OILS

This is so so important - the only vegetable oil that is known to be stable at med/high temperatures is coconut oil (unrefined, always go with unrefined), and to a lesser extent red palm oil. Heat denatures the polysaturated bonds, resulting in oxidized oils and free radicals that start to break you down inside out.

Hope this helps!

Mei-ling made a good point about cooking with vegetable oils. :)

It is possible that your acne may be caused by a factor outside of what you are eating. It sounds like you are eating a very healthy diet.

I would advise against cutting more carbs out of an already low-carb diet until you can pinpoint the cause of your acne. It is possible that your acne may be digestion/hormone related. If you are having issues absorbing nutients, cutting carbs and putting more work on your liver may make your situation worse.

Have you tried to rule out:

Low stomach acid (hypochlorhydria)

Food allergies / Food intolerances

Yeast / parasites

Hypothyroidism / Estrogen dominance or high testosterone

I would try to relax on worrying about your diet. Unless you have a food allergy, you are eating a good diet with lots of nutrients. Most likely, it is an absorbtion issue, possibly stemming from one of the issues I named above. Good luck!

Part of the holistic approach involves your emotions and stress levels. I know for me when I get stress I am guarenteed a breakout and a gallbladder attack- no matter how good my diet is.

Also, try getting 9 hours of sleep a night. Some people do great with 7-8 and some people need a little bit extra. Diet is important, but it isn't everything :)

Mei-ling made a good point about cooking with vegetable oils. :)

It is possible that your acne may be caused by a factor outside of what you are eating. It sounds like you are eating a very healthy diet.

I would advise against cutting more carbs out of an already low-carb diet until you can pinpoint the cause of your acne. It is possible that your acne may be digestion/hormone related. If you are having issues absorbing nutients, cutting carbs and putting more work on your liver may make your situation worse.

Have you tried to rule out:

Low stomach acid (hypochlorhydria)

Food allergies / Food intolerances

Yeast / parasites

Hypothyroidism / Estrogen dominance or high testosterone

I would try to relax on worrying about your diet. Unless you have a food allergy, you are eating a good diet with lots of nutrients. Most likely, it is an absorbtion issue, possibly stemming from one of the issues I named above. Good luck!

I agree. You do not need to cut out more carbs. There's nothing wrong with that carrot, especially when you are having with a meal consisting of 2-3 eggs. It's the glycemic load of the meal that matters, not the GI of the individual food.

Here's a thread with more info on factors that contribute to acne including the hormones, food intolerances, digestion and thyroid issues and more: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-t230714.html

Diet is important, but it isn't everything :)

That's true. There is also sleep, physical activity, stress, etc. In addition to having their own impact on acne, they also affect how strict your diet needs to be re: blood sugar and inflamamation.