Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thirtyforthirty

i am doing this in order to prevent total hysteria

DAY 78 with pictures! Sorry the pictures aren't the best quality - again, I am taking them on my iphone so it is difficult to get very clear shots. That said, these photos are a fairly accurate representation of what my skin is like right now. NOT BAD. I have one or two small actives and my skin is insanely soft. My boyfriend doesn't know the whole deal (he knows I am on medication for my skin but not the full extent of the roller coaster that is accutane) and the other day out of nowhere he told me my skin looked really good and felt very soft. He said "whatever you are doing is working!" of course he clarified that he thought i looked good before, etc and it is nice to hear but i am not doing this for him. I'm doing it for ME! And i am SO glad I am. Even my roommate (the actress to whom I have given the honor of being the one "brutally honest" person throughout this process and I make her inspect my skin under lights and she is HONEST) said out of nowhere a few days ago that either I've become an expert makeup artist or my skin looks very clear. Those are officially the first two unsolicited compliments I have received since starting accutane. so that was positive. in other news, I am terrified of breaking out when I bump to 60 mg. I got my prescription yesterday and was going to start today. I have been on 40 mg for just under two months and had done a month of 30 mg before that. So today I decided to take 50 mg instead of 40 or 60. I have about four 30 mg pills left over from the start of my course and I took one and 20 mg. I think I am going to do 50 mg for a few days and then take the ultimate plunge to 60. Thoughts on this? Is it pointless to try and ease myself into 60? I am JUST starting to feel great about my skin and I don't want another IB at 60!! Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated! Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Edited by thirtyforthirty

DAY 80 - This is my third and last day of taking 50 mg as I increase my dose from 40 to 60 mg. Tomorrow I start on 60. I don't know if my little science experiment will have any positive effect on curbing a new IB from the dose increase but right now my skin is the best it has been in FOREVER. honestly i cannot stop staring at it and feeling so happy. This has only been the case for the past few days - before that the accutane roller coaster brought me up and down so many times and I have no doubt that this blemish-free me will not stick around forever but right now I am so pleased. I wish I had huge plans because usually accutane waits until the DAY I have something important to do to deliver a period of horrible breaking out! This morning I woke up in a panic feeling my face, convinced I would discover some horrible, painful cysts that have been lurking but nothing....it's too good to be true right now. I'm a realist and I know this won't be forever but it IS for right now and I'm loving it! Have not noticed any increased side effects with the 50 mg but I still have: dry eyes, achey joints, and intense exhaustion. I am moisturizing and aquaphoring and stretching and taking Vitamin E and Omega 3 and using sunscreen and drinking more water than the camels I saw in Egypt two months ago. But right now I cannot believe I waited until the year I turned 30 to try accutane. I wish I had done it a decade ago!!

DAY 85 - this is my fifth day taking 60mg. I have noticed increased dryness and it has been so incredibly hard to wake up in the mornings. My eyes are also very dry. I had my first active in about a week yesterday and I can't tell if it is hormonal or if it is because of the bump...when do breakouts from increased dose usually start? Would I already have one? I live in fear!

DAY 85 - this is my fifth day taking 60mg. I have noticed increased dryness and it has been so incredibly hard to wake up in the mornings. My eyes are also very dry. I had my first active in about a week yesterday and I can't tell if it is hormonal or if it is because of the bump...when do breakouts from increased dose usually start? Would I already have one? I live in fear!

Honestly, I've only had a few actives after this bump :D

Sooooo happy for that. And I'd say w/i a week from my exp.

I am really happy for u! Ur skin looks amazing, and u r a stunning woman.

Don't stress the the breakout from the bump, it could make it worse, u kno? And honestly if I could make it thru last months breakout, anyone can handle it, lol.

Hi :)

Just catching up on a few logs and I realised I hadn't read yours before. I've never done Accutane myself but I always like to take a look and see how people are going. It's nice to follow the journeys and read all these success stories.

Have to say that although I thought your skin looked fine before, it's looking great now! :wub:

Try not to stress too much about any potential breakout from the increased dosage. If it happens, I bet you can tough it out, given that you've come this far. Looks to me like there's not a great deal going on at all so, if I were you, I really wouldn't worry about it. :D

Edited by PaulH85

DAY 91 - I have been taking 60 mg for about ten days now. Things are going well. I have three small actives but they are hormone-related and for me at this time of the month - that is like a miracle! Even though it would have been 100% physically impossible, last week I was FREAKING OUT that I might be pregnant since I wasn't getting the insane acne I usually get before my period. Seriously, you can convince yourself of anything! I wasn't breaking out at all in the days leading up and I cannot say that has EVER happened to me in my life so yeah, I convinced myself that was the only explanation. Well obviously that's not the case. I guess this is the month accutane started to work on those breakouts, too. Aside from the few small actives (all of which are out of the way, not obvious on my face), my skin is looking really good. I do a mental dance every time I look in the mirror when I get out of the shower. I'm going to see my very best friend on the planet who moved to Australia a year ago for the first time since she moved - she's visiting for another friend's wedding. We talk all the time so she knows all about the accutane but i'm excited to hear what she thinks of my skin! Other than that things are good - side effects are under control, I have officially completed three months on accutane! YAY!

I do a mental dance every time I look in the mirror when I get out of the shower.

I quoted this for truth. I felt the same way a few months into my Accutane course. It was a great feeling.. to step out of the shower, wipe the fog from the mirror, and not see a bunch of inflamed acne and hyperpigmentation. ^_^

Edited by Sima

DAY 94 - This is officially the start of month four! So I have completed three full months of accutane. I have been on 60 mg for two weeks and have noticed an increase in side effects to be sure - skin is pretty dry, fairly achey, SO SO TIRED. For example: the other night I left my office at about 9:30 - fun, i know! - went to my boyfriend's apartment and while sitting on his couch waiting for dinner to arrive I fell asleep in all my clothes (with my shoes on!) and could not be moved apparently. I woke up the next morning and had NO idea what was going on. Falling asleep is very difficult for me (even on accutane) so this type of thing has happened to me approximately twice in my life and those were long ago, after nights of many adult beverages...so there's that. I have been a little headache-y but I think that's due to dehydration, which seems impossible to me considering the amount of water I am drinking every day. But I just keep drinking more. Also I have started noticing the delicate skin thing people write about on these boards - not on my face really, but my arms, legs, etc. If i nick myself shaving, it is a whole new ball game at this point. Have been getting some mild rashes on my arms but cortisone cream works just fine so it's not bad at all.

Here are the things I really miss doing because I am on accutane:

- not taking five pills a day (1 20 mg clarivis, 1 40 mg clarivis, 1 vitamin e, 2 omega 3)

- waxing

- not feeling like a 90 year old woman with a 50 lb weight on her back every time i try and do something CRAZY, like get up off the floor or roll over in my sleep

- THE SUN! I miss being able to sit in the sun in the summer without FREAKING out that I haven't applied enough spf, etc. It is August, everyone around me is sooooo tan, and i am practically blue I am so pale

- washing my hair every day. I know most women love this side effect because you don't have to wash your hair every day but washing my hair is my ZEN time. I miss it! I cannot get enough hair washing so this has been difficult...the hair thing in general is probably my least favorite side effect. I try not to think that I am losing more hair than normal but you know, I am. Not a freakish amount and not enough to make me want to stop taking accutane, but I have really long black hair and it's pretty hard to miss when some gets loose.

Here are the good things about taking accutane:

- EVERYTHING else I didn't mention above. My skin is becoming better than it has been in many, many years. I am still getting the occasional active but they clear up SO FAST and the rest of my face is like fake-looking to me. Pores I have said hello to every morning for the past 15 years have disappeared without saying goodbye. It now takes me approximately 1.5 minutes to complete the "concealer" portion of my makeup application, compared to the ten or so it used to take me. This is INSANE. I LOVE this part of accutane. I also feel so much more comfortable not wearing makeup. I wear makeup every day to work no matter what just because I love putting it on (also part of my ZEN time!) but at night or after working out or whatever, I am really starting to feel fine not having any cover up on at all. I also am really loving the simplicity of my skincare routine - very mild cleanser, makeup remover, moisturizer, and a moisturizing mask as needed. I used to have such an insanely complicated process and now it's so easy.

And of course: THE SKIN. This drug has changed my life. Seriously. Despite the various side effects and the semi-annoying routine of obsessive aquaphor application, etc - I am so, so glad I made this decision. I think things are only going to get better during the second half of my course and I am SO GLAD I didn't let my nerves win out on this one and I decided to take the plunge! Hope everyone else is doing well!

So I am currently in a city nestled in the Andes for work and let me tell you - altitude makes your skin pretty ---- dry! I know this is obvious to people who live above sea level already but I had not realized just how it would react. It's been fine - tons of moisturizing and actually no new actives (which is good bc I am sleeping like three hours a night and not wishing to wake up extra early to conceal before meetings!) hope everyone else is well! Hauchska moisture mask saves me again!!

Your job takes you to the Andes? I'm jealous. :wub: I've driven through the Andes when I was traveling from Santiago, Chile to Mendoza, Argentina.

DAY 105 (I think...?) so yeah, having a bad spell. I have gotten about five new actives in the past few days. All concentrated on my temples and my jawline. I don't like it at all. I was getting used to having okay skin and now this. pretty discouraged. I have been on accutane for about three and a half months, on 60 mg for almost a month. I don't understand what's going on all of a sudden...does this happen to anyone else?

still pretty frustrated. I seem to be getting more actives in the past week than i have had in the past two months. in really random places, too. like the middle of one cheek I get three. the ones on my temple are healing up and the ones under my jaw are healing, too, but i got one directly in the middle of my forehead and yeah, the three on my cheek. I am not liking this stage. I have my derm appointment tomorrow, too, and she is always kind of shocked that i am not yet completely clear. so this face tomorrow will not be good. i am almost done with month three. is this normal that i am still breaking out?

Hey so I have finished month four and started month five...things are pretty good right now. had a bit of a bad spell last month but right now i have no actives. my skin is very dry and peels off in a very lovely, attractive way if i don't moisturize every three minutes but other than that, i can't really complain. i have been around the world (literally) for work in the past few weeks so that may have contributed to the few actives i had last week but now they are gone. i have less than two months to go!

So I am coming up on the end of month 5 - which makes day I don't know what anymore! A lot! I haven't been updating because there really is NOTHING to report. I have not had an active in many weeks. I literally cannot believe how clear my skin is. FINALLY! I have not had such clear skin since I was ten or so. Not kidding. It hasn't been an entirely smooth road, this accutane trip - things were good in month three or so, then got pretty bad again in month four, then pretty much to the day of starting month five my skin has been cooperating like crazy. I am still on 60 mg. I saw my derm two weeks ago and she was so happy that it is finally doing its job - I'm going to stay on 60mg through the middle of November, when I will be through with my course. My side effects have been really manageable. Not much to report other than dry lips (aquaphor every ten mins!) and I only have to wash my hair every other day now. I cannot describe how happy I am with the results. I was so nervous to start accutane and worried about the side effects, that my inital breakout would be horrendous, that it wouldn't work for me...none of these things turned out nearly as bad as I anticipated. And now I cannot get over what it is like to have clear skin. Even at hormonal times, which was the true test. So yes, I am singing the praises of Accutane from the rooftops right now. Hope everyone is doing well. And for those just starting - give it time. No joke. It really is worth it in the end!!!

Awesome! That's great to hear! You should be very proud of yourself; even if Accutane has played its part, you've had to put the hard work in as well and be strong enough to make it this far. Well done. Long may the clear skin and your resulting happiness continue! :)

So I have about 17 days left of my course. I thought that when I got to this point I would be so, so happy to be nearly done but I don't even really think of it that way. I have had maybe four blemishes in the past month, and none were bad at all. The past two months have been amazing. I seriously still can't believe that I don't feel the need to use concealer the second I get out of the shower so my boyfriend doesn't see my skin it all its glory. I haven't gotten a ton of "your skin looks amazing" comments but I think that might be because people think that if they say that they are indicating my skin looked bad before. The people who know I am on accutane say it. My boyfriend says it. My roommate says it. And I definitely think it. There are things I will not miss, such as the dry eyes and Aquaphor attached to my person and the drinking a gallon of water every two hours. But the side effects have been minimal for me, thank god. I guess I am just nervous my good skin will go away once I stop! I will have been on a full 6 month course but like everyone I think it's too good to be true...but for now I am just enjoying not feeling incredibly self-conscious about my skin all the time. It is something for which I think I will be grateful every day as long as it lasts. It is amazing how much more positive my overall attitude has been because I am no longer depressed and anxious about my skin. Seriously, cannot say enough good things about this medication for people who really need it. Hope everyone else is well!

So I have one week left on accutane. i have had two zits in the past month and they were not bad at all. other than that i still have not gotten used to the fact that I don't need to set aside 30 extra minutes in the morning to cover my face. seriously, i still stare in the mirror ready to start the process and then i remember there is really no need for that. it is pretty much the most amazing thing that has happened to me face-wise ever. oh my skin is still dry in spots and my eyes are dry but i really don't even care anymore because it wasnt that bad and it's almost over. the last time i had skin this clear for this length of time was probably before the age of twelve. no exaggeration. so 18 years ago!? i could have done this MUCH sooner!