Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gtturbo2

advice for awful scarring?

Guest Timehealsall
Tell me then, Timehealsall, why would you advise someone to take accutane if you have never even taken it, and are afraid to take it, yourself?

Just to be clear if anyone is curious, before I went on Accutane I had zero scarring. I did though, have very severe cystic acne. Accutane cured my acne. My acne was so severe though, that it left me with severe scarring all over my face when it cleared up. At the beginning after accutane, I went through a period of red marks (hyperpigmentation); that lasted about 1 year. After the red marks faded, I had tons of hypertrophic, indented, icepick, and rolling scars. About two years post accutane, I had some erbium YAG laser treatments, punch excisions, and subsicions done to treat the bad scars. All these treatments made my scars much worse, I went from having hypertrophic scars --- and others, but the hypertrophic scarring was the worse... to having a lot of surgical scars left by the YAG laser and blotched subsicions and punch excisions. About 5 YEARS after that I had about 12 sessions of fraxel Re:store done to try to improve the scars. I got about 5% improvement in the end. By the way, all of these "treatments" have cost me about 10 thousand dollars, which I never had to start with. I've now accepted my scars, because it is the only thing I can do. Maybe you can now understand a little about why your bitching about one little "enlarged pore", or whatever, pisses people like me off.

yea that is why i am afraid to take accutane.

I don't want to be FOREVER prone to scarring...

Here's an idea,

Why the hell would you need to take accutane for some enlarged pore(s) anyway? What exactly is your reasoning, troll?

Another thing is that NOT EVERYONE on this board has severe scarring. There are actually others who have similar scarring to me and want to treat it (jimhouse is one i can think of).

I am not saying that my shits worse than your shit.. and i am not trying to piss anyone off here... but this is an "acne" forum and i have an acne issue "which involves pores and minor scars"

Maybe this board should be spread into different scar sections (i.e. mild/moderate in one section. Severe in another)?

I dunno, i am not trying to troll. It just pisses me off how so many of my friends scratch/claw their face.... sleep in filth... eat filth.... do not take care of their skin and have flawless skin.

Why do they deserve flawless skin and not someone like me or you?

i don't think accutane actually treats the enlarged pores. I think it prevent sebum production and blackheads from forming thus preventing even more enlarged pores from occurring.

I still get inflamed pustules that hurt and are big. I said i have considered taking accutane, but i am not so sure on taking it.

and i am not suggesting him to take accutane, but he said he had severe acne, from my understanding, isn't accutane one of the best "methods" to treat severe noncalcitrant acne?

Wait, so none of your cysts ever left one scar before being on accutane?

Dude. You have no scarring. Nothing. Please go check into BDD. Thanks. Your insistence that you do is highly insulting to those of us that have real scarring.

Guest Timehealsall
Timehealsall: Does jimhouse have ~3000 posts, 95% of which are questions (many of them repeated)?

probably not.

I decided to take it because this damn acne is so perisistant and resistant to everything. Im not starting the course for 3 weeks but you guys are freaking me out now with your tales of woe.

my face is so oily all the time half an hour after having a shower you could wipe grease proof paper over it and bake a cake.

The way i see it yeah theres a chance it will make things worse but is it any worse than a face that gets more and more pitted every year that goes by. I mean if i just left it as it is it would be totally fuked by the time i was 40 anyway.

Guest Timehealsall
I decided to take it because this damn acne is so perisistant and resistant to everything. Im not starting the course for 3 weeks but you guys are freaking me out now with your tales of woe.

my face is so oily all the time half an hour after having a shower you could wipe grease proof paper over it and bake a cake.

The way i see it yeah theres a chance it will make things worse but is it any worse than a face that gets more and more pitted every year that goes by. I mean if i just left it as it is it would be totally fuked by the time i was 40 anyway.

hey man, what type of acne do you have again?

It shouldn't scar if you do not pick at it... unless its cystic.nodular

Maybe this board should be spread into different scar sections (i.e. mild/moderate in one section. Severe in another)?

Good idea. And why not throw in another board: non-existing scars, so you can post all your questions there.

Tell me then, Timehealsall, why would you advise someone to take accutane if you have never even taken it, and are afraid to take it, yourself?

Just to be clear if anyone is curious, before I went on Accutane I had zero scarring. I did though, have very severe cystic acne. Accutane cured my acne. My acne was so severe though, that it left me with severe scarring all over my face when it cleared up. At the beginning after accutane, I went through a period of red marks (hyperpigmentation); that lasted about 1 year. After the red marks faded, I had tons of hypertrophic, indented, icepick, and rolling scars. About two years post accutane, I had some erbium YAG laser treatments, punch excisions, and subsicions done to treat the bad scars. All these treatments made my scars much worse, I went from having hypertrophic scars --- and others, but the hypertrophic scarring was the worse... to having a lot of surgical scars left by the YAG laser and blotched subsicions and punch excisions. About 5 YEARS after that I had about 12 sessions of fraxel Re:store done to try to improve the scars. I got about 5% improvement in the end. By the way, all of these "treatments" have cost me about 10 thousand dollars, which I never had to start with. I've now accepted my scars, because it is the only thing I can do. Maybe you can now understand a little about why your bitching about one little "enlarged pore", or whatever, pisses people like me off.

thats how i feel but i never went tru the tane or laser treatment

yea that is why i am afraid to take accutane.

I don't want to be FOREVER prone to scarring...

Here's an idea,

Why the hell would you need to take accutane for some enlarged pore(s) anyway? What exactly is your reasoning, troll?

gtturbo2,

I have to say that while you do have some very mild scarring, they're kind of hard to see. Your face looks great. I'm not going to tell you what other people have been saying. In fact, I support you. If you want to take some action, go ahead it's your skin. Other people do have it worse I'm sure, but what matters is how this stuff makes YOU feel. If you want to do something to make yourself feel better, then do it.

Although if I may add, accutane seems like a drastic measure for you. I didn't see a lot of breakouts from your picture, some indentations from old ones. Perhaps try something to help you boost collagen?

I've had box scars since I was a teenager and nothing worked. But I've been hearing good things about derma rolling. I'm going to be doing that soon. Maybe something like that would work for you?

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, Good luck! :D

What do you mean how do I live with it? You either live or choose to die. I choose to live. That is how. Fortunately for you, and the op, that is a choice you probably will never have to make. I am glad for that.

Yes, I would say my scarring is equally as severe as ernestos was. He had a different type of scarring as me though.

I mean, does it not hurt seeing people with flawless skin while your skin is scarred?

And yes, of course it hurts. But i'm not just some fucking pussy that lays down and takes it up the ass anymore, like I used to be.

Why must you troll?

you sound really angry .. maybe if you were a little bit more positive your skin would actually get better.. anger is not good for your health or ur skin. Try a positive alternative next time ;)

Guest Timehealsall
gtturbo2,

I have to say that while you do have some very mild scarring, they're kind of hard to see. Your face looks great. I'm not going to tell you what other people have been saying. In fact, I support you. If you want to take some action, go ahead it's your skin. Other people do have it worse I'm sure, but what matters is how this stuff makes YOU feel. If you want to do something to make yourself feel better, then do it.

Although if I may add, accutane seems like a drastic measure for you. I didn't see a lot of breakouts from your picture, some indentations from old ones. Perhaps try something to help you boost collagen?

I've had box scars since I was a teenager and nothing worked. But I've been hearing good things about derma rolling. I'm going to be doing that soon. Maybe something like that would work for you?

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, Good luck! :D

the thing is, PHOTOS do not show everything...

sorry i didn't read all the posts to this topic -- had to just jump and say a few words after the first 2 pages.

dude, i have to say to me, personally your skin does not look that bad. i would trade you any day. but, who here really likes their skin?

i can tell you one thing for sure -- i believe we all think it is worse than it is.

when i started talking openly about the shallow craters i have on my cheeks and how i was looking to do something about it (most of them as big as dimes -- one almost as big as a quarter. yes i have used currency to see how big they are) most of my friends and family looked at me like i was CRAZY. they said so what, you can barely see them! or i got, what scars?! i thought they were just saying that to make me feel good, but when i went to the plastic surgeon he said the same exact thing. he only noticed them when i pointed them out in harsh light.

so the point: i think having other people tell me that my skin isn't as bad as i thought it was made me realize alot of it was in my head. for me, my scars are self inflected, and i everytime i look in the mirror i hate myself for letting it happen. i hate it.

i think now that i feel enlightened that my scar aren't the first thing people see (unless i point them out), that they are something i can kind of deal with. i want to make them look better sure, but i hate them a little less. i used to spend hours in the mirror every morning putting on makeup, washing it off because of the scars, and putting it back on hoping that miraculously that time the makeup would hide them. but now, i put on a tad of concealer. and that's it. i realize, yes they look bad to me, but other people don't see them.

do what you need to do to feel better about yourself. but, i think we all suffer that feeling of being scarred and ugly. and we really aren't.

and sometimes, when i feel like crap about my scars, i secretly google celebrities that have serious acne scarring. have you seen brad pit back in the day? and that is with the hollywood plaster makeup stuff. i say "wow if he/she can be a public figure with those scars then i think i can go to work today."

Guest Timehealsall
sorry i didn't read all the posts to this topic -- had to just jump and say a few words after the first 2 pages.

dude, i have to say to me, personally your skin does not look that bad. i would trade you any day. but, who here really likes their skin?

i can tell you one thing for sure -- i believe we all think it is worse than it is.

when i started talking openly about the shallow craters i have on my cheeks and how i was looking to do something about it (most of them as big as dimes -- one almost as big as a quarter. yes i have used currency to see how big they are) most of my friends and family looked at me like i was CRAZY. they said so what, you can barely see them! or i got, what scars?! i thought they were just saying that to make me feel good, but when i went to the plastic surgeon he said the same exact thing. he only noticed them when i pointed them out in harsh light.

so the point: i think having other people tell me that my skin isn't as bad as i thought it was made me realize alot of it was in my head. for me, my scars are self inflected, and i everytime i look in the mirror i hate myself for letting it happen. i hate it.

i think now that i feel enlightened that my scar aren't the first thing people see (unless i point them out), that they are something i can kind of deal with. i want to make them look better sure, but i hate them a little less. i used to spend hours in the mirror every morning putting on makeup, washing it off because of the scars, and putting it back on hoping that miraculously that time the makeup would hide them. but now, i put on a tad of concealer. and that's it. i realize, yes they look bad to me, but other people don't see them.

do what you need to do to feel better about yourself. but, i think we all suffer that feeling of being scarred and ugly. and we really aren't.

and sometimes, when i feel like crap about my scars, i secretly google celebrities that have serious acne scarring. have you seen brad pit back in the day? and that is with the hollywood plaster makeup stuff. i say "wow if he/she can be a public figure with those scars then i think i can go to work today."

i wonder how pitt fixed his scarring anyhow? His skin looks really good now, even in harsh lighting.

And you know what, i fucking hate my skin. HATE IT. But i watched a movie called smoking aces in blu-ray, and a lot of the cast had small scars on their face. Ryan reynolds has a good amount of pitted scars on his face, and common also had weird texture. But there overall faces still look great.. unfortunately mines look like ass

it's truely rare to find someone with amazing skin. i work with the public everyday. i look at other people's skin. and out of the hundreds of people i may see in one day, only 1 or 2 of them have gorgeous skin.

the culture we all live in does a good job of pushing those thoughts in our head that if you have the slightest scar you're ugly. if you have a big nose your ugly. if you have acne youre ugly. it's disgusting.

most places we go enforces us how ugly we are. just go to the mall. skin care products. makeup. clothes. perfume.

all of these things secretly telling us we need them to feel better about ourselves...

Guest Timehealsall
it's truely rare to find someone with amazing skin. i work with the public everyday. i look at other people's skin. and out of the hundreds of people i may see in one day, only 1 or 2 of them have gorgeous skin.

the culture we all live in does a good job of pushing those thoughts in our head that if you have the slightest scar you're ugly. if you have a big nose your ugly. if you have acne youre ugly. it's disgusting.

most places we go enforces us how ugly we are. just go to the mall. skin care products. makeup. clothes. perfume.

all of these things secretly telling us we need them to feel better about ourselves...

the thing is, if you have bad skin tone you can fix it. You just can fix scars...

Guest Timehealsall
thus, you must learn how to deal with it.

you're wasting way too much energy on your appearance. how old are you?

the thing is, i dont even know WHAT TYPE of scars i have , or if they are even scars. It looks like dead skin that is literally stuck on my face... or it looks slightly raised ish type of skin... but they don't look like indents?

It looks so fucking weird man..

hey thanks for the responses

yeah its the photo it aint psychological lol wish it was, i keep the stubble because it hides like maybe 50% of my scarring so no i aint shaving not even for you guys sorry :shifty: , maybe will if i have some time off i just kinda keep it close.

its a lot worse than it looks so many icepicks/ scarred pores (couldnt count them if u tried and many craters - dunno what to do!

someone suggested a chemical peel, ive heard they can make icepicks worse - anyone tried this?

post-149096-1305817576_thumb.jpg

craters

Hey mate, I have to say, your skin doesn't look too bad (even if I know that won't make you feel any better!)

I have the same kind of thing going on with my face too, and I know what you mean, it diminishes almost ALL confidence...especially in broad daylight and you feel like your face is on display to everyone! It has almost made me avoid going out during the day socially - I try and wait until night time before I go out haha! Anyway, somebody suggested TCA Cross as a treatment, and I've looked it up and heard great things in terms of ice picks and scarred pores, your scars wouldn't be classified as severe and it seems that having a TCA performed may especially help for someone in your situation. Personally I'm going to go on Accutane in order to reduce the oil produced so that my enlarged pores reduce in size, and also have a TCA cross performed when I can get a week off work in order to let the skin settle after the treatment. Going to my derm in 2 weeks! My advice would be to research the TCA Cross treatment on this website and others and see if that sounds like something that would help you. Goodluck!

Guest Timehealsall
hey thanks for the responses

yeah its the photo it aint psychological lol wish it was, i keep the stubble because it hides like maybe 50% of my scarring so no i aint shaving not even for you guys sorry :shifty: , maybe will if i have some time off i just kinda keep it close.

its a lot worse than it looks so many icepicks/ scarred pores (couldnt count them if u tried and many craters - dunno what to do!

someone suggested a chemical peel, ive heard they can make icepicks worse - anyone tried this?

post-149096-1305817576_thumb.jpg

craters

Hey mate, I have to say, your skin doesn't look too bad (even if I know that won't make you feel any better!)

I have the same kind of thing going on with my face too, and I know what you mean, it diminishes almost ALL confidence...especially in broad daylight and you feel like your face is on display to everyone! It has almost made me avoid going out during the day socially - I try and wait until night time before I go out haha! Anyway, somebody suggested TCA Cross as a treatment, and I've looked it up and heard great things in terms of ice picks and scarred pores, your scars wouldn't be classified as severe and it seems that having a TCA performed may especially help for someone in your situation. Personally I'm going to go on Accutane in order to reduce the oil produced so that my enlarged pores reduce in size, and also have a TCA cross performed when I can get a week off work in order to let the skin settle after the treatment. Going to my derm in 2 weeks! My advice would be to research the TCA Cross treatment on this website and others and see if that sounds like something that would help you. Goodluck!

I thought enlarged pores do not always reduce, even if you take accutane?

I have to say yeah i guess it aint that bad in the scheme of things and yeh ive been feeling a little better about things, I did go a bit crazy around the time of the original post i admit that, maybe its because im single again so all these new skin problems couldn't of come at a worse time and every day i just seem to look worse and worse.

Like the guy above saying he dislikes going out in direct light, i work outside in direct light all day long lol so yeah i know i look like a crater face in these conditions. But yeah if i go out of an evening if i said to someone about it theyd prob be like what youve got 1 or 2 spots. Its an awful feeling when you dont feel secure in yourself and you feel like everyone is judging you on something you cant control.

Im 6'3 17 stone (ripped) so i guess that helps no one gives me crap about it.

To the people who said i dont need accutane, dont have acne etc. The pictures didnt capture the fact that i have countless blocked pores - im talking hundreds and hundreds maybe even thousands. Any time one gets irritated it blows up into a massive pustule which then leaves a red mark which goes pink. As im nearly 29 these marks dont fade like they used to so i have many many of these all over my face - just started using a bit of tinted sunscreen on the worst areas and this helps a little.

So yeah maybe the scarring aint that bad but because i have all these small lumps it makes it look 10 times worse as its peaks and furrows.

Put it this way the GP took one look at me and referred me to a derm.

I think once ive got all this out the way im gonna do a series of tca peels of increasing strength to even the skin tone etc, then after that im gonna have a go with the much fabled dermaroller with some peptides. If i see no improvement from that im gonna look at tca cross for the worst parts.

yeah i hate going out in the light too because im really scarred upp.. i dont get acne like when i was a kid just the pimple here an there... and i wish i could grow a beard LOL... i shave and get shave bumps not hair. i dont think u need accutane though why risk the problems that come with it. wet shave prob irratate your skin

It all depends on WHY you have enlarged pores in the first place. For example, if your pores are just large naturally, then chances are they will not reduce on Accutane; however, if your pores are only large due to oiliness of the skin (pores become larger if the skin is rather oily in order to allow the skin to excrete oil with more ease), then there is quite a good chance that the pores will reduce!

This is what I've gathered from all my reading and various things I've heard from derms etc.

:)

i can't tell for certain, but it doesnt seem like you have scars, looks like you have sebaceous hyperplasia, which are lots of mainly irregularly-shaped bumps

people sometimes confuse the bumps of sebaceous hyperplasia for normal skin and the area between the bumps as depressed scars

Edited by Brawn
Guest Timehealsall
It all depends on WHY you have enlarged pores in the first place. For example, if your pores are just large naturally, then chances are they will not reduce on Accutane; however, if your pores are only large due to oiliness of the skin (pores become larger if the skin is rather oily in order to allow the skin to excrete oil with more ease), then there is quite a good chance that the pores will reduce!

This is what I've gathered from all my reading and various things I've heard from derms etc.

:)

what if you have enlarged pores due to a condition like seborrheic dermatitis, or having dead skin constantly clog it up? WILL Accutane fix this?