Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drizzler

Want to raise SHBG with your diet? (The answer is yes, you do)

Sex hormone binding globulin is an extremely important player in normal body chemistry- affecting not only acne, but a range of other conditions including diabetes, heart disease and some cancers. From Wikipedia:

Sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) or sex steroid-binding globulin (SSBG) is a glycoprotein that binds to sex hormones, to be specific, testosterone and estradiol. Other steroid hormones such as progesterone, cortisol, and other corticosteroids are bound by transcortin.

Did anyone catch the author of that study chance? One Mr. T. Colin Campbell... ahh yes, T. Colin Campbell. Famed author of The China Study, the most cited book by people who know little to nothing about optimal human nutrition. Despite the notion that this book "proved" a vegetarian diet is great and that animal foods are deadly, an in-depth statistical analysis revealed quite a different story:

"Why does Campbell indict animal foods in cardiovascular disease (correlation of +1 for animal protein and -11 for fish protein), yet fail to mention that
wheat flour has a correlation of +67 with heart attacks and coronary heart disease, and plant protein correlates at +25 with these conditions?

Speaking of wheat, why doesn’t Campbell also note
the astronomical correlations wheat flour has with various diseases: +46 with cervix cancer, +54 with hypertensive heart disease, +47 with stroke, +41 with diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs, and the aforementioned +67 with myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease?
(None of these correlations appear to be tangled with any risk-heightening variables, either.)

Why does Campbell overlook the unique Tuoli peoples documented in the China Study, who eat twice as much animal protein as the average American (including two pounds of casein-filled dairy per day)—yet don’t exhibit higher rates of any diseases Campbell ascribes to animal foods?

Why does Campbell fail to mention that
plant protein intake correlates positively with many of the “Western diseases†he blames cholesterol for—including +19 for colorectal cancers, +12 for cervix cancer, +15 for leukemia, +25 for myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease, +12 for diabetes, +1 for breast cancer, and +10 for stomach cancer?
"

Draw your own conclusions, and never again ask, "how could bread possible be bad for me?"

Love it, thanks for posting this.

I think this explains why I felt so great and my skin looked awesome throughout my pregnancy. I certainly am noticing a big change recently with cutting out grains and legumes.

Now, can we please change the food pyramid? :snooty:

If you're a male and you follow this guy's advice, I feel sorry for you.

Maybe HIGH testosterone will contribute to acne, but low testosterone will be even worse for you. Think of how older men have gradually lower levels, and how they generally have less energy and less "sex drive" than younger males. Why would you want that?

Plus, plenty of the healthy foods mentioned on these boards will contribute to increasing testosterone levels. It's all about balance.

I could be very wrong here, but I don't think this is about lowering testosterone. It's what your body is doing with it. Please someone who is better educated elaborate, I'm curious.

Maybe HIGH testosterone will contribute to acne, but low testosterone will be even worse for you. Think of how older men have gradually lower levels, and how they generally have less energy and less "sex drive" than younger males. Why would you want that?

Plus, plenty of the healthy foods mentioned on these boards will contribute to increasing testosterone levels. It's all about balance.

Save it. It has nothing to do with actual testosterone levels or any actual hormone levels for that matter. Normal levels of testosterone, with abnormally low SHBG is the recipe for problems. Get your facts straight.

Save it. It has nothing to do with actual testosterone levels or any actual hormone levels for that matter. Normal levels of testosterone, with abnormally low SHBG is the recipe for problems. Get your facts straight.

Get my facts straight? I realize that would be the cause of the problem. But in your post you mention testosterone being a contributor to increased sebum production (nowhere did you mention "high" levels"). You also never mentioned a normal level of SHBG, rather simply eating foods to increase it and avoiding foods that decrease it. That's why I said "it's all about balance."

I worded it as such because it is well known that androgens stimulate sebaceous glands; it required no additional emphasis as this is the most basic tenet of acne production. Hence why teenage boys get such bad acne. Sorry you needed that explained to you.

This thread is intended to help people. This is a logical and rather basic explanation for a relationship between the foods you eat and a proven factor in acne and health. This exists in a very real context of our modern diets- not only relevant to anyone with acne, but really everybody. You had to come in here with your pompous ass "If you're a male and you follow this guy's advice, I feel sorry for you" comment, and then proceed to twist my words.

I said nothing of testosterone levels being high or low. Perhaps I could have clarified on this, that you can have very healthy, ideal levels of testosterone in the blood, yet low SHBG presents a very real problem.

Now please, if you have nothing valuable to contribute to this conversation, take it elsewhere.

Yeah, perhaps you should have clarified that. I twisted no words and meant no harm, and I don't need your sarcastic apology. Simply put, it sounded wrong with the way you worded it. Plenty of people can have normal SHBG levels, or potentially high ones - do they still want to raise it? The answer is no, no they don't. Your title itself is misleading.

I was just trying to help avoid the spread of bad information, there is enough of that on this board. It's just a little misunderstanding.

The title and purpose of the thread still stands. If you have normal or high levels then it doesn't apply, how does that not go without saying? Obviously I am talking about the issue of low sex hormone binding globulin, which as shown is lowered by very common things in the diet; things that are eaten by many people, things often considered unquestionably healthy. This is not some pseudo-scientific crackpot theory. This is a very real condition, easy to land yourself in, and should not be overlooked by anybody. If you have low SHBG, you need to address it.

Edited by Drizzler

Cause most people have either never heard of it before, or don't understand it at all - and they don't know what level their SHBG is at.

Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the problem. Testosterone is perfectly fine.

DHT is testosterone on steroids (quite literally) and it causes all of the negative stuff like overactive sebaceous glands and contributes to male pattern baldness.

carrots? since when are carrots bad :(

Ok so if this doesnt apply to people with moderate to high SHBG, how do those people know they arent low SHBG?

Why does Campbell fail to mention that plant protein intake correlates positively with many of the “Western diseases†he blames cholesterol for—including +19 for colorectal cancers, +12 for cervix cancer, +15 for leukemia, +25 for myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease, +12 for diabetes, +1 for breast cancer, and +10 for stomach cancer?"
Edited by joris

Drizzler, where do you put dairy? Do you think it lowers SHBG?

It does not help and it contains a precursor to DHT as well as IGF-1 and being insulinemic which stimulates your body's production of IGF-1.

And yes, you do want to healthy SHBG levels. It's just one more reason you want to follow blood sugar stabilizing diet habits.

Edited by alternativista

The title and purpose of the thread still stands. If you have normal or high levels then it doesn't apply, how does that not go without saying? Obviously I am talking about the issue of low sex hormone binding globulin, which as shown is lowered by very common things in the diet; things that are eaten by many people, things often considered unquestionably healthy. This is not some pseudo-scientific crackpot theory. This is a very real condition, easy to land yourself in, and should not be overlooked by anybody. If you have low SHBG, you need to address it.

I still don't understand why you think the amount of SHBG you produce is important! You _do_ know that your brain keeps careful control over your level of androgenic stimulation, don't you? What do you think would happen if you were to start injecting yourself every day with significant amounts of extra SHBG (I'm not saying that I know it's even possible to do that, this is just a purely hypothetical situation)? I'll tell you what would happen: your brain would start to sense the declining levels of active testosterone because of that extra SHBG, and would immediately start sending the chemical signals to your testes, telling them to start making more testosterone.

I think this business of thinking that you can alter the course of various medical problems that are generally assumed by most people to be associated with excessive levels of androgens (like acne, or male pattern balding) by increasing levels of SHBG in your blood by way of your food choices is basically just a fool's game.

I worded it as such because it is well known that androgens stimulate sebaceous glands; it required no additional emphasis as this is the most basic tenet of acne production. Hence why teenage boys get such bad acne. Sorry you needed that explained to you.

Meh, the amount of sebum produced has little to do with acne, as plenty of people with oily skin possess no acne. The basic cause of acne is clogged pores from hyperkeratinization. I person could produce buckets of sebum, but if the lining of their pores sheds properly, they simply will not get acne.

Now, the cause of this disorder of proper skin shedding (chronic inflammation) is up for debate. But saying oily skin = acne is silly and pretty outdated. Hell, you might as well say chocolate causes acne or not washing your face.

Edited by Ariventa

How do you define real food please?

So all cereals apart from rice are bad?

I found making conclusions, apart from wtf, impossible. Maybe i'm thick.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l1l615vt2h8t362k/

"The mean SHBG level of the controls was 28 versus 38 in the patients."

So males with acne have have MORE SHBG.

I have an SHBG at 50 and a testosterone in the lower range but I have acne!

I have never read about a correlation metabolic syndrome-acne.

I know there is one strong correlation with male pattern baldness but not for acne.

Edited by Fab