Notifications
Clear all

Teenage guys-- accutane stunts growth

MemberMember
(@yowasup)

Posted : 05/18/2011 12:29 am

It has long been known that Accutane causes sporadic cases of permanent stunted growth, but the link between isotretinion and GH physiology has never really been fully investigated. This new study concludes that Accutane WILL significantly decrease your Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 levels and IGF binding proteins. Do some research about how you grow and this might scare you a bit. Another recent study proves that Isotretinion also significantly decreases total testosterone during treatment. so guys, if you wanna slow your growth and become more womanly, accutane is definitely for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20128787

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111...09.09618.x/full

MemberMember
(@fred-q)

Posted : 05/18/2011 7:18 pm

Guess this explains why I'm 6 feet tall and have a large penis.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/18/2011 7:34 pm

To the original poster: can you please provide the link to claim that Isotretinoin can quench total testosterone. The links you provided discussed IGF-1, etc.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 05/18/2011 7:41 pm

Accutane has not been proven to affect bone mineralisation at the doses typically used in acne (0.5-1.0 mg/kg/day for 16-20 weeks):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18477161

A single course of isotretinoin therapy has no clinically significant effect on bone metabolism.
MemberMember
(@zestyy)

Posted : 05/18/2011 8:40 pm

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that after you take Accutane you become more womanly. If you're sarcastic you have poor taste.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/18/2011 9:32 pm

It can happen when endogenous testosterone production is hampered by isotretinoin or finasteride: testosterone drops and conversion of testosterone to estradiol increases. Many men have shrunken testicles, smaller penis, fatigue, depression, increased body fat, etc.

MemberMember
(@yowasup)

Posted : 05/19/2011 12:30 am

To the original poster: can you please provide the link to claim that Isotretinoin can quench total testosterone. The links you provided discussed IGF-1, etc.

sorry about that

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/mjl/...000001/art00005

MemberMember
(@yowasup)

Posted : 05/19/2011 12:32 am

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that after you take Accutane you become more womanly. If you're sarcastic you have poor taste.

not sarcastic whatsoever. Do some research about pituitary hormones. A decrease in total testosterone, culminated with a decrease in IGF-1, would essentially cause a male to become more like a female biologically.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 05/19/2011 1:02 am

not sarcastic whatsoever. Do some research about pituitary hormones. A decrease in total testosterone, culminated with a decrease in IGF-1, would essentially cause a male to become more like a female biologically.

That's never been proven for isotretinoin. Unlike spironolactone, iso has never been associated with the development of feminine characteristics in men.

It all depends on the degree of testosterone suppression. A large degree of testosterone suppression may very well be associated with feminisation. However, I think the authors of that paper were more interested in investigating whether androgen reduction is one of the mechanisms of action of isotretinoin:

The decrease in testosterone levels may at least partly explain the effectiveness of this medication for treating acne. Androgens are important in the pathogenesis of acne because they enhance follicular keratosis and influence sebum production (25). Several studies have demonstrated hyperandrogenaemia in patients with acne vulgaris, typically in conjunction with other clinical signs of hyperandrogenism such as hirsutism, alopecia and/or menstrual disturbances. Estrogen treatments effectively combat acne by lowering levels of androgens, (25) and counteracting their effects on the sebaceous gland. Reducing testosterone levels may also be beneficial in polycystic ovary syndrome, in which hyperandrogenaemia is a well-known pathogenic mechanism.

In conclusion, we have shown in this study that short-term ISO treatment results in mild suppression of pituitary hormones. This effect may be related to the effectiveness of this medication in acne treatment. We propose that retinoids may be tested in the future in the

treatment of different pituitary diseases

Plus the reduction of testosterone observed could be reversible after treatment.

Finally, there is a conflicting study demonstrating no reduction of testosterone on Accutane.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/19/2011 3:19 am

Hey, thanks for that. I thought it may have been a study that I had not seen, that is why I asked for it. It is a good study, and, it clearly shows that Isotretinoin messes with absolutely everything. I wonder how bad the suppression of all those hormones would become after numerous courses? To insinuate that isotretinoin is not behind all those cases of erectile dysfunction is plain stupid. For people to take low dose isotretinoin indefinitely is outlandish, and clearly asking for trouble.

MemberMember
(@vanceastro)

Posted : 05/19/2011 12:39 pm

Lower testosterone is not necessarily bad. I would say that this is preety individual. If someone has a very high testosterone level then lowering it a bit might bring positive effects [for example: lower chance of prostate cancer]. But if a person has lower testosterone level from the start, then isotretinoin could [potentially] result in ED [although ED should theoretically resolve after withdrawal of the drug, but we know that in many cases it doesn't].

But that's just a funny hypothesis and I wouldn't treat it seriously :)

Anyway, the study says that the effect on hormones was mild [i'm guessing they used standard dose] so I'm preety sure that low dose wouldn't do anything siginificant. You have to remember that every side effect of isotretinoin [apart from teratogenicity] is dose-depentant. I don't know a single person who took 5mg weekly for years and had serious side effects, but on the other hand I know plenty of people who took 80mg/kg for a few months and had very serious side effects. It's all about systemic toxicity.

Here [in Europe] most of the doctors I know tend use low dose treatments, unlike in the US, where they stuff people with 80mg/kg+ daily [crazy!].

But obviously I still think that this whole isotretinoin treatment is ridiculous. We have 21st century and people still have to use acne "medication" that affects every body organ [instead of targeting only sebaceous glands].

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/20/2011 3:51 am

Lower testosterone is not necessarily bad. I would say that this is preety individual. If someone has a very high testosterone level then lowering it a bit might bring positive effects [for example: lower chance of prostate cancer]. But if a person has lower testosterone level from the start, then isotretinoin could [potentially] result in ED [although ED should theoretically resolve after withdrawal of the drug, but we know that in many cases it doesn't].

It is not that simple, tampering with testosterone (even in seemingly small and inconsequential ways) is never a good thing. You should visit a website called Propeciahelp. There are people on there on who took Finasteride or Accutane, and they are similarly affected. Finasteride is just meant to inhibit DHT, and the people on that website have a plethora of problems. In simplified understandings of the endocrine system, DHT is painted as a hormone that causes (the responsible hormone for acne, alopecia, prostate enlargement, etc) more harm than good, but, that is far from the truth.

Some of these people have high testosterone and exhibit all the problems that are associated with hypogonadism (fatigue, joint pain, ED, watery ejaculate, depression, etc). Some have low testosterone due to a drug that was supposed to only inhibit DHT, and there are no prizes awarded for guessing how they are travelling along.

The doctors looking at these people are arguing that they have some form of acquired androgen resistance (supplementing androgens has little effect); and, they treat both groups of sufferers the same. Many appear to have optimal hormones, but they appear to not be registering, and, or, expressing correctly at the androgen receptor. Science is now arguing that drugs like Finasteride and Isotretinoin can cause long term side effects at the androgen receptor via genes that are transcriptionally suppressed by DNA hypermethlation. For things to be put back to normal: genes that were suppressed need to be demethylated and reactivated. That is not an easy task.

There are other risks stemming from drug metabolism. Retinoids and drugs like Finasteride act as inhibitors of human cytochrome P450 3A4. Human cytochrome P450 3A4 is involved in the metabolism of aforementioned drugs. If you think that the only problem of isotretinoin is potential toxicity, then you are way off, and primarily focused on the tip of the iceberg. If you research about the potential for drugs to cause hepatotoxicity, you will note that researchers argue that dosages are not very relevant in causation. Roche are very well versed as to why idefinite isotretinoin therapy is bad news.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835899/

http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/...002916/abstract

MemberMember
(@saffronaide)

Posted : 01/16/2019 6:42 pm

On 5/19/2011 at 8:32 AM, yowasup said:

I have side effects from Accutane for 4 years, my IGF-1 shows up low in blood test... its been 4 years and i only used 4 PILLS! experiencing low semen volume.. Is there a any chance that 4 pills lowered my IGF-1 levels PERMANENTLY? They say it can heal up over time, the hormone i mean. Is there any chance that 4 pills stunted my growth? (took it in 16, now im 20 and still low semen volume)

MemberMember
(@saffronaide)

Posted : 02/21/2019 11:02 am

Anyone^