Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChewMyAcne

Experienced users: Clindamycin or Differin??

what's up everyone? i used to have mild/moderate acne and went on accutane for 6 months. cleared up all my pimples now i just have red marks which i use makeup to cover up. i have had a few VERY minor pimples in the past couple weeks, but i was wondering. i still have some medications left over, and was wondering what people might recommend? i have clindamycin, and differin. or should i go with some other OTC stuff?? thanks!

hey, good to hear about your success with accutane. for the little breakouts youre having, its probably best to a) go see your derm and go with what he/she suggests, or cool.gif use whichever product you had had most success with before starting your course of accutane. everyone has different responses to topicals, so its really a matter of finding and using what works for you. if you already have a good idea of what that product may be, it could be a good idea to stick with it instead of trying out new things. if you didnt have much success with any of the topicals you were using before accutane, then its probably best to go to your derm to have him/her recommend you something that may work a little better. as a side note, ive personally used clindets (clindamycin pads) and i was extremely unhappy with them. i had switched to the clindets after using clindoxyl (clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide combination) because the latter was irritating my face, and my acne had calmed down considerably (i was pretty damn clear). however, i feel that the clindets were considerably ineffectual at keeping the bacteria down on my face, because after a couple months' use i started breaking out quite badly again. whatever you choose, good luck, and i hope ive helped a bit!

Well, you probably should ask your doctor or derm.

But this is what i heard: a lot of derms give their patients retinoids after accutane. It helps to open up the pores and it is good for mild acne. It is mainly so the acne doesnt come back.

Mind that it takes a couple of weeks to kick in. Dome some research about it. I believe the best retinoid is adapalene (differin) and tazorac (even better, but with a lot more irritation!).