Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Scorpioness

Denise2

Guest Scorpioness

Dear Denise....

How are you girl?

I have a question. I am thinking of quitting the spiro because I have been having some really awful side effects from it. One being a horrible pain in my lower right side... where my appendix should be.

I really think I should say to hell with all the medication but I don't want to be cystic again. I have female problems which are tied into my acne, which is why the spironolactone and BCP were the only things that worked well to clear me. Juicing, diet and supplements only really helped a little in the past. I have been reading sensiblehealth.com, and I have read quite a bit at curezone in the past. I want to wean myself off spiro and not quit cold turkey, so I was thinking of taking Chinese Bitters in combination with Coptis.

Would you recommend this, or do you think I should take it with Circuma or GCG instead (with the Chinese Bitters)? I respect your opinion on this, so no matter how much reading I do, I want to consult you before I start investing in these products.

Also, didn't you once suggest doubling up on the dose of the Chinese Bitters?

THANKS!

Hey Girlie smile.gif :

Hope you are well. Hmmmmm.......Chinese Bitters is fantastic. Coptis is a great supplement but finding the correct dosage can be daunting. If you take too much, it can keep you up at night. If you take too little, you won't get to sleep. That's the only herbal tincture that I only can take 1/4 of a teaspoon.....So be careful. If you find the correct dosage, it's a terrific supplement; takes you into lah-lah land and helps you sleep like a baby. Curcuma is really great too. I LOOOOVE that supplement as well.

As for the GCG, I would say that it's not necessary except right before a flush; 5-7 days prior to a flush. OR, you can take malic acid you can get at a healthfood store (that's the cheaper method, but it's not quite the same). But malic acid does help with breaking stones up somewhat.

Overall, I'd say that Bitters and Coptis or Curcuma would be your best bet. Hey, if you are having "female issues", consider taking her Fem-mate or whatever it's called. I heard that that is a FANTASTIC product; very effective. You can always maybe get the Bitters and that herb for female issues. Or, you can call Ms. Chang and she will call you back. It may take a day or so, but she will call you back and can make a recommendation. She is such a great lady. You never feel like you are bothering or bugging her. She's very helpful in describing what specific conditions the herbs help.

So maybe that would be your best option. Describe your conditon and see what she says. I don't want to recommend something you don't need. I've taken all 4 of the aforementioned herbs at various times but never the one for female issues. You may do well with that one, not sure.

If you have any other questions, let me know, I'll be glad to help. wink.gif

Guest Scorpioness

Hey Denise. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the detailed reply. I saw the Femme-Mate but have taken Vitex in the past with no change, but there are other ingredients in it, including the Circuma. I am definately going to call Ms. Chang and see what she thinks. I'm exited to start the Chinese Bitters. I have a feeling that it may help me out.

I'm already taking malic acid so I will skip the GCG.

How has the Circuma helped you??

I will let you know what happens with her.

Thanks again.

Hey Ladies!

I just wanted to add my 2 cents biggrin.gif

I have been taking chinese bitters for a couple of months and do feel that it has helped clear my system somewhat after taking accutane. I'm hoping to build up to a liver flush in the next couple of weeks and see how that goes.

Another supplement I have had great success with is Indian tejaswini - it is composed of 12 herbs used in Ayurvedic medicine and helps to cleanse the liver and bowels as well as boosting the immune system. I get it from www.victoriahealth.com, which is a great website for natural health. I feel the tejaswini has really helped calm down the severity of my breakouts. I am almost clear on my body now, which was not something I could say even on accutane. I don't believe it's all due to the tejaswini and the bitters but I definitely think they have helped a great deal. smile.gif

Also, Denise, I was going to PM you about this, but seeing as you have a thread dedicated to you, I don't need to bother!

I recently purchased a book by Dr. Gillian McKeith called 'You are what you eat' - and I was really surprised that she advocates almost everything you have been recommending for helping acne and overall health.

She discussed the following in detail and provides scientific basis for their results -

coffee enemas,

colonic hydrotherapy

lemon juice in warm water

liver cleansing

juice detoxes

The only thing she doesn't talk about is actual liver flushing - perhaps too extreme for a mainstream book now straddling the UK No.1 position in the charts

I thought how great it is to see things like this being brought into the public eye and presented in such a fantastic book, by a respected nutritionist. smile.gif

I don't know if it's available in the US yet, but I recommend all UK residents to purchase it - not just for acne help but for overall health.

smile.gif

Guest Scorpioness

I have taken so many detoxification herbs in the past, with warm lemon water and a very clean diet and my acne did not go away. I am skeptical of this tejaswini because of this. I'm sure it may work for some. It's just so disappointing to hear about supplements that work for people and to get all hyped up on them and then they don't work (for me).

Some of the detoxification herbs I have used (JUST SOME):

psyllium, senna (I know, I know, lol), burdock root, yellow dock root, dandelion leaf and root, red root, red clover, chapparel, red raspberry (more of a supposed hormone balancer), milk thistle, pau d' arco, wheatgrass juice, barley grass, spirulina, chorella, klammath lake blue green algae, oxygen, aloe vera juice, and many more.

This is not even mentioning the teas, antioxidants, and other vitamins and minerals I have used.

Here are some more herbs, vitamins and things I have used to try to control my acne:

guggulbolic (PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THAT!!!), probiotics, colloidal minerals, noni juice, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, B-5, vitex, blessed thistle, dong quai, echinacea, garlic, evening primrose oil, a variety of Omega 3s and 6s, soy isoflavones, digestive enzymes, pycnogenol, MSM, ALA, DMAE, vitamin a, B-6, B-12...

and MANY, MANY MORE over the past 10 years. Some made my acne worse, some made it better for a little while before it came back.

Why do I think the Chinese Bitters can help me? I don't know. You would think I would have lost faith in all of this by now, because the only thing that actually cleared me up were spironolactone and birth control (prescription meds), but at a high price.

I do have to say my overall health has benefitted dramatically from diet and natural treatments. But my skin is stubborn as all get out.

SV: I hear ya! You listed everything I took in the past, too. blink.gif

However, I do believe that the Bitters and other herbs by Prime Health are of superb quality and tend to get to the ROOT of what is causing our acne. Blood cleansers basically attempt to do what the liver should be doing...cleaning the bood. Blood cleansers worked for me in my late teens and early twenties, but when your liver is SO congested, and your colon SO congested, they don't have much effect, or the effect is like spitting in the ocean....if you get my drift. The factors of congestion aren't going to be dealt with by certain herbs.

But on to your next question about Curcuma....it is fantastic at helping with bile production and helps you sleep also. It helps with circulation and bruise healing. It is probably good to take if you are doing various scar treatments because it helps with healing and blood circulation.

Rossie: That's great that that book has been published. I sincerely hope it helps some people over there in the U.K. I havn't heard of it though.

I'm glad you are doing so well. I keep hearing so many good reports here and on Curezone about people who are clearing themselves after trying so many things including Accutane.

AF: I really cannot say. I decided that Bitters would be my main liver supplement, so I take it even now, after taking it for a year, though I don't take any of the other herbs on a regular basis. I don't know that Bitters alone will clear you. It can help with detoxifying the liver, but if you aren't doing other things to clear yourself, I'm not sure how much it will help. It's like any other supplement....if you don't get to the root of what is causing you to break out, I'm not sure it will do you any good in the long run.

Guest Scorpioness

Wow... I just learned that circuma is another name for TUMERIC. I knew for a long time that tumeric was a good liver herb. I have taken it before but never for a long period of time.

Guest Scorpioness

Denise,

Do you happen to know what the some of the other main ingredients are in the Chinese Bitters, besides Gentian? I could not find a place on the sensible health website that listed the ingredients....

SV: Whatever you do, don't try to substitute turmeric. I tried something this morning...I'll tell you what I did. I got up and and took some Curcuma and it knocked me out until 10:30!! blink.gifbb_shock.gif

I know that Julia's herbs are of highest quality but I guess that there's a reason why the directions say to take it at night! wink.gifsmile.gif

It might be turmeric, but I think it's super-duper strong. I always thought it was a great herb; when I was looking something up once about Curcuma, I kept noticing that it was referred to as turmeric. Evidently, the plant name is Curcuma something or other.......I have taken turmeric in the past too. I guess this particular curcuma is very potent, much more potent than the turmeric extract you get in stores. If you call Julia, ask her about it.

~Lesson LEARNED~

The Bitters has bupleurum and gentian.

I read on another acne message board that chinese bitters and curcuma helped clear her acne, so I went ahead and ordered some. It's package has been sitting here for a couple days already, because I'm afraid of any surprises it will bring me (I just started college). Anybody taking these herbs have any tips for a newbie?

Guest Scorpioness

Hey Denise...

I just got back from The Vitamin Shoppe! I bought a big bottle of Primal Defense (and they gave me the 'Patient Heal Thyself' book), some gentian extract and some bupleurum extract. They didn't have any tumeric or coptis... but I'm getting those soon....... Smooches. bb_wink.gifbb_razz.gif

I'm interested in the 'double dose' bitters approach that you mentioned, SV. Does this involve taking two teaspoons, one in the morning and one at night?

I'm planning on doing my first liver flush next week - it's just been a full moon here and Maya did some research and decided that liver flushes are most effective in the first week of the moon's waning, I think. So it can't hurt to try, can it?! bb_icon_mrgreen.gif

Guest Scorpioness
I'm interested in the 'double dose' bitters approach that you mentioned, SV. Does this involve taking two teaspoons, one in the morning and one at night?

I'm planning on doing my first liver flush next week - it's just been a full moon here and Maya did some research and decided that liver flushes are most effective in the first week of the moon's waning, I think. So it can't hurt to try, can it?! bb_icon_mrgreen.gif

Actually, I was only taking the Bitters in the morning. Since I had been taking Coptis and Curcuma at night, that was pretty much all I needed.

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding liver flushes: Is it absolutely imperative to have no dairy at all leading up to a flush. I've been taking Chinese Bitters for 3 weeks; I don't have any milk, or cheese, but, I do have 2 teaspoons of butter everyday, and a piece of chocolate every week (I'm weak willed). Will this prevent me from performing the flush. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

I'm confused..... huh.gif You don't eat fat or protein the DAY of the flush. Other than that, you can eat fat and protein.

HI denise...i was wondering if your do a salt water flush or magnesium citrate for the day after. I debating on doing the two. Which would you recommend? Thanks

Namisop: I use magnesium citrate when I wake up first thing in the morning after taking the oil/juice mixture the night before.

Ravenblack: Oh, now I see. You are abstaining from all dairy. You know, it's not imperative to abstain from all protein. It's all things in moderation. Refined carbs and sugar contribute to stone formation just as much as too much protein.

If you don't have any problems with dairy, it's not necessary to totally abstain from it in order to not have stone formation. Now if you believe that dairy breaks you out or whatever, that's a different story.