Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HI,

I'M 25 AND WORK. I'M WORRIED THAT WHEN I START ACCUTANE I WON'T BE ABLE TO USE MAKEUP. IS THIS TRUE? AFTER MOISTURISING WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO USE MAKEUP ???

PLEASE HELP. I'M TRYING TO DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT TO QUIT MY JOB WHILE I GO ON TREATMENT.

THANKS smile.gif

Hi G.O.

I was on Accutane twice. Once for about 5 or 6 months, the second time for about 4 months. I am one of those insecure chicks who won't leave the house without makeup on, and I wore makeup the entire time I was on Accutane. Perfectly fine, in my opinion, as long as you use a makeup that won't cause more acne. Stick with your current makeup as long as it isn't contributing to any breakouts. If you want to check your ingredients against common "safe" lists, you can go here or here (scroll to the bottom on that second one). Any ingredient on those lists with a 3 or higher is not good in anything you put on your face.

If in doubt, I always say go for mineral makeup. There's about a 2% chance that anything in a mineral makeup will irritate your skin. Just in case, go for one that doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride. It's been known to cause itchies in some people.

I hope you have great results with Accutane. Despite the side effects and risks, I still consider it a miracle treatment. My skin is a pain in the ass and super resistant to treatments, but Accutane cleared me up within weeks both times. I only wish it was a little more accessible to those who truly need it. smile.gif Good Luck!

~Kat

Im most likely going to be put on accutane or roaccutane in like a week. Whats the best cure? Accutane or roaccutane???? And G.O. how long does it take for it to work??? PLEASE dont say 5 months to start seing minimal results. sad.gif

I herd it takes a few days to start seing results, how long till GOOD results???

fingercrossed* bb_eusa_naughty.gifbb_eusa_hand.gifbb_eusa_naughty.gif

Accutane and Roacctuane are the same thing, it's just that Roaccutane is the name the drug usually goes by in Europe and Accutane the name it goes by in the U.S. Roche Pharmaceuticals makes both.

I would say it would take at least a month to start seeing good results. Everyone responds to Accutane differently. Some people get markedly worse before they get better. Some people just start clearing up quickly. I didn't have a bad purge as I've heard others describe, to the best of my memory. It might depend on the dosage how quickly you see results or how quickly you purge & start to clear up. I was on a moderate dose to begin with, I think, about 40 mg twice a day. When I went on it the second time, though, I only needed 10 mg twice a day. So it all depends. But I saw a turnaround for the better within a few weeks. In my opinion, Accutane, despite the risks, is the only real cure for acne. Other drugs can hold acne at bay or lessen the severity, but Accutane is nothing short of miraculous--I couldn't believe how I went from a face full of painful zits to nothing in a few months. Yep, there are risks, and my blood pressure did go up a bit, and my lips were dry as all hell, and my nose bled easily if I bumped it, but I didn't give a shit. My zits were disappearing like magic.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't quit your job or hide out just because you're going on Accutane. You may purge and look worse for a little bit, but improvement will happen, probably quicker than you might think. If you go about your normal life and try not to count the days, you'll be seeing good things happening before you even realize it. Knowing you're doing something to clear yourself up will make daily life a little more bearable. That's just my opinion, though. My appearance wasn't any worse on Accutane than it was before taking it, so I was just happy to have a potential solution in the works.

Good luck.

~Kat

I am going on my third month of Accutane and have been using foundation without a problem. Just be sure to moisturize beforehand. I wouldn't quit my job just because I'm going on 'tane. It's not worth it. It's better to be active and keep yourself busy while on the medication so you don't think about it all the time. And taking 'tane is a lot easier than taking other medications! All you have to do is take a pill once or maybe twice a day.

Thanks you guys. That's awesome. I have a derm appt in 2 days. I think i'll be on the Tane soon. Oh yeah baby!!!!

It's too severe and i've been holding out for too long. My skin looks bad as it is. Time to do something about it. for real.

I'm on 100mg of doxycycline a day. That's scary. For three days so far because i Developed a massive infection on the left side of my face.

Orthotricycline made my cystic acne 100x worse and the diane 35 (which i'm on for a week now) is taking it's sweet fuckin time to work....oops...POTTY MOUTH.

Anyway, i'll go on the tane.

And, i'll use the cover up. Rock on Rockers !!! smile.gif

Good to hear, G.O.

I hope your derm will agree to get you on the Accutane. In any event, when the shit hits the fan, it's time to act and step up to the next level of meds, and don't let your dermatologist give you any crap. bb_wink.gif I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have derms that screwed me over and didn't have any regard for the pain I was in. One dermatologist I went to when I first started breaking out bad when I was about 18 or 19 kept me on antibiotics for *over a year.* Over a year. When, if antibiotics are not working, you should be off them within 3 to 6 months because they can do damage to your liver if you are on them longer than that. That bastard would make me wait 45 minutes to an hour in his cubicle-sized waiting room even when I was early for an appointment and then hustle me into the exam room and try to wrap things up in 5 minutes. I was young and stupid and didn't realize I was paying him to help me and I shouldn't have been on ANYTHING that wasn't effective for more than 3 months, tops, more or less taking a goddamn antibiotic that wasn't doing shit for over a year. Then he sells me this bill of goods with getting painful chemical peels that burnt my face and trying to talk me into all this expensive topical shit. And this was supposed to be the best dermatologist in the state.

MY ASS.

Anyway, that bitter little tale is why I no longer let doctors push me around while I sit there and think I just have to defer to their ultimate wisdom. They are knowledgeable and have that degree hanging on the wall, but you know yourself and what you need, so if they're not helping you, go to someone else immediately. I will regret forever not telling that dipshit doctor that he was a shyster and walking the hell out of there. I went to a woman doctor after ditching him, and she didn't screw around. If something didn't work, she was onto the next level. No bullshit. And when I told her I was on antibiotics for over a year, she almost dropped my chart. She's the one who told me there was no way I should've been on them for that long. She's the one who finally put me on Accutane when I probably should've been on it a long time before that.

You live, you learn. smile.gif Maybe my screwed up tale can help someone else.

I truly wish you the best of luck and hope Accutane works for you. Just keep going about your normal life as best you can and keep your head up. Things will get better. It just takes time. bb_icon_cool.gif

~Kat

Hey Guarded,

Good luck with your derm appointment and stay strong. And I'm glad you're no longer using all caps. wink.gif

I was on doxy for a while and it sucked. I didn't know you shouldn't take it on an empty stomach (which I did all the time) and I ended up feeling nauseaus quite a bit and didn't really see any improvement.

Accutane, in my experience, has been absolutely wonderful. The side effects are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. It's not like one day you wake up from taking one pill and see such drastic effects. All the changes happen quite slowly and you'll have plenty of time to get used to dry lips, dry skin, or whatnot.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to keep us updated.

Im on doxcy and differn gell. i STOPPED differnen becuz it SUCKED, and doxy inst doing ANYTHING. I got my derm appt. in like 6 days, u think i shud get accutane pill form or cream, or what??

They will most likely tell me to start off on LOW dosage but im going to insist on HIGH because im not looking forward to walking around school all pimply for weeks befoer tane starts taking corse.

If i start on high dosage will it get better faster? Probebly health risk of some sort but i can take it, im a man tongue.gif

User:

If antibiotics and topicals like Differin are not helping and you've seen no improvement, talk to your derm about Accutane. He/she might want to try something else first, but while you should be respectful of the knowledge your doctor has, be persistent about getting a better treatment started and don't let the doctor push you off. Your face and how it looks is important to you, and sometimes you need to push back a little harder to get what will make you feel better and look better.

That being said, a higher dosage of Accutane isn't always the answer. (By the way, it only comes in pill form. There is no topical cream/gel Accutane.) Unless you have severe cystic acne, my educated guess is that your derm would start you off low (40 mg pill or less, 1 to 2x per day) to see how you react. Remember, we're talking about a drug that allegedly has caused feelings of depression and thoughts of suicide in a small percentage of people who've taken it. So, doctors are very cautious about this drug. You will have to endure blood tests every month, which is a pain in the ass, but if your blood pressure goes up, they need to know. Which is another reason they probably won't stick you on a high dose to start. Accutane is very effective anyway, so even the smaller doses do the job.

Also, on higher doses, you may purge more. Granted, things may get worse on Accutane before they get better, so be prepared, but some people purge like a volcano, and I imagine slamming your system with a high dose right off the bat could have bad side effects. So go with your doctor's better judgement on that one. You'll still see the pimples starting to clear up, and on a lower dose, you might just avoid the dreaded purge that makes you think all Hell is breaking loose. bb_icon_cool.gif

Good luck! I hope your dermatologist helps you. Let us know what happens, 'kay?

~Kat

quick question(s).

Pills do take longer to work then creams thats what i herd, is that true?

And u think i could still use proactv solution while on accutane? My skin becomes very dry and looks HORID when i dont use proactiv at all, so i need to keep my skin looking normal throught the school year because i JUST cant stand to think of my face worse then its been lately and haeving people see it EVERYDAY of the week mad.gifsad.gif

Im probebly going to try it on my back and chest at first to see what happens then slowly incorperate to face, ill keep ya updated.

User:

Yep, I would say pills take a bit longer to work because instead of applying them directly to the skin, they have to be swallowed, absorbed into the bloodstream, and travel to where they are needed to work. But honestly, if you have a hormonal imbalance or an overproduction of sebum & oil and genetics is working against you, topicals can only keep acne at bay and control what's mostly at the surface of the skin. Pills work from the inside and control the underlying internal causes, and although some oral meds might only keep acne at bay depending on the strength and other factors, Accutane is the closest thing to an acne cure out there. And it's only in pill form, probably for good reason. This is a medication that has to be carefully controlled and monitored to prevent baaaad side effects.

I kept up my regular skin care routine while I was on Accutane. I usually just washed with a mild cleanser and use lots and lots of Vaseline on my lips, 'cause they were dry as hell. Other than that, I really didn't have any problems with my skin getting super dry or anything that would make it hard for me to do my regular cleansing routine. But just watch how much of that toner and the blemish repair stuff you use. Don't overdo it. And if you see a bad reaction, cut back or discontinue it. People like to scare you with tales of your facial skin peeling off or stuff like that, but I think that's rather rare. Continue doing what you're doing normally and if it looks like it's irritating you, just adjust your routine.

~Kat

thx, i figured i should keep on using proactiv while on accutane. If i stop proactiv I KNOW i would start breaking out horribly so yeah im going ot keep using. I just wanted to ask someone and then ask doctors. Thx. ph34r.gif