Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

just wondering if anyone else my age noticed that they started to put on weight around the same time they developed acne. I'm a 24 yr old female and have always been pretty small- Throughout my teens and early twenties I stayed at 113 and am 5'5.In the past 2 yrs (that is when my acne started) I've gained almost 10 lbs, I now weigh 121 lbs. Could there be a connection or am I reaching here?

not to mention your weight gain might be hormonal, and your acne is probably hormonal?

theres your connection right there! well can weight gain be hormonal? im no fat expert

and 5'5 120 is quite below avg i think, im 145 5'5 SKINNNY weakling male, people call me lanky all the time, because i am

110 doesnt seem healthy!

Weight gain isn't hormonal.. Only thing is that your metabolism slows down as you get older, but acne and weight gain have nothing to do with each other in the first place.

Umm, 5 5 and 145lbs isn't too skinny. You fall in the normal range easily(I don't know how people see you as lanky when your that short either). I was 6' and 155 in grades 10 and 11 in high school and I was lanky. I've found that I'm much healthier now that I put on some weight in university(about 35-40lbs and mostly muscle, which should have made my acne worse cause of the hormone surges to get that muscle but it didn't).

yea, I don't think 5'5 145 would be considered lanky.. That would be buff as hell actually .. cuz I'm like 6' 145 (yea, need to gain weight) and consider myself lanky..

Tele,

Presuming that you can't attribute the gain in weight to lifestyle changes - like eating more, excercising less, increased or decreased stress, taking or stopping medications. Sometimes weight gain and acne can be indicators of Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. You might want to check thru a description of PCOS to see whether you have any other risk factors or symptoms (ie dodgy periods and stomach cramps, excess facial hair etc etc...link below) . But on the face of it - it seems unlikely since you're lean before (bmi 18.8) and after weight gain (bmi 20.1). I suggest you take a look onlybecause PCOS is a common problem. But I don't think it is likely to be anything so sinister ....bah, I have gained and lost that much weight, and some, in a year due to simply changing my lifestyle...getting happy or sad etc. But for me it has been unrelated to my acne...which has been ever-present bb_eusa_wall.gifbb_wink.gif

http://www.inciid.org/faq/pcos.html