Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am trying Dan's regimen and having a hard time picking a foundation, concealer and powder. It seems like everyone here has either really dry skin or really oily skin. I guess mine is combo, depending on the day/weather/etc. What products are best for someone who has a little dryness sometimes and a little oiliness other times (but sometimes both at the same time)

I have tried reading reviews and they are SOOO confusing because some people love and some people hate every product!

Which ones are considered safe as in for the most part dont break anybody out and which ones are considered dangerous as in break a lot of people out?

And finally, my last question is, how can I tell if a makeup product is breaking me out if I already have a lot of acne and I haven't started clearing up yet?

The truth is, no product is perfect for EVERYBODY. It may take you a lot of products (if you're lucky, only a few) to test out to see which best fits you. If you want more descriptive recommendations, i highly suggest you check out www.makeupalley.com which is a product rating sight. It has helped me a lot with my choices in finding the right products for me. Also, go for products that are non-comodegenic (doesn't acne), hypoallergenic (doesnt cause allergies), and oil-free.

Good luck!

Viviana:

I second what Tigress said. It's hard to recommend products when they do different things for different people and skin types. I agree with you on the reviews, however; depending on what you read, the product either sucks ass or it's a Holy Grail and no one should be without it. I, too, usually read Makeup Alley myself before trying a product, and I go with percentages and the quality of reviews. If 75% or more liked it, I'll read the review and see what people are saying. Many members on Makeup Alley give lots of great details that are very helpful.

I don't want to sound like a broken record here bb_icon_cool.gif but the ingredients in most department store/drugstore liquid and pressed powder foundations are not good for acne-prone skin. The companies put "oil-free" on the bottle or compact, and market the shit out of these products to assure you they are noncomedogenic/non-acne causing, but the truth is, there might be, and usually are, one or more ingredients in that bottle or powder that are known irritants or a preservatives or binders that clog pores. And they don't expect anyone to be observant enough or knowledgeable enough to notice.

What you can do is, whenever you have a product that you'd like to use on your face, especially a lotion/moisturizer, liquid, or gel, put it to the oil test. Place a drop of it on a piece of paper and leave it for a few hours. If you come back and there's an oil ring around the drop, don't use it. That oil is going to sink into your pores and cause problems.

Also, you can check your product ingredients against the common safe lists: here and here (scroll to the bottom on the second one). If the ingredient has a rating of 3 or more, you shouldn't put it on your face. It just isn't worth the risk.

I recommend for any type of makeup that you try mineral makeup. It's about as pure and natural as you're going to get for makeup, and I break out if the wind changes direction and I've never had a problem with mineral makeup. There's another post in this forum where I listed some mineral makeup companies that all offer great products that will make you look natural and offer great coverage but not break you out. I don't get a commission off recommending minerals...I just know, as a person who needed Accutane *twice* b/c nothing else worked and used liquid and powder that looked like shit and was making things worse, that mineral makeup is the best stuff I've ever used and I wish I'd known of it much, much sooner. smile.gif

Good luck finding products that work for you. I hope I could offer some helpful advice.

~Kat

I'll make it a simple post: foundation - L'oreal True Match

Concealor - Dermablend

Powder - MAC Studiofix (though I've stopped using powder)

I've tried a bunch of different products, these are what works best for me. Good luck on finding what works best for you

thanks for the great responses girls!

tigress..thanks but makeupalley is what got me the most confused lol!

redhed thanks for the great reply! now i am curious about mineral makeup but theres so much varying info on which brand to get and it sounds like a LOT of work to put on?? is it?

also thanks for your input ipodist

i will do so more research and look into mineral makeups, I cant tell if my makeup is breaking me out but it does sound like mineral makeup is "safer" than the rest

does mineral makeup look ok on the regimen? now that i am using on the spot my makeup looks horrible, i need to get dans bp gel

Viviana:

Mineral makeup is no more work than liquid & powder, and I think your makeup routine is what you make it in the end. I take a little bit longer only because I am a perfectionist and pretty insecure. But, I've talked to women who use mineral makeup who can do their foundation in 1 minute. So, once you get the hang of it and find your foundation color, the coverage is so great for many mineral lines (Alpha Skin Care, Botany, Cory to name a few--also Youngblood is supposed to be very good as well) that you can just buff it on with the brush of your choice, maybe add a smidge of blush, a little eyeshadow, mascara, and be out the door within 20 minutes. It does depend on how much coverage you need and if you're going for a natural, minimal makeup look or a night on the town, full face, look-at-me presentation. bb_smile.gif

I think mineral makeup is so much easier to work with and customize and cover imperfections with that it looks good even on your worst day. I've had some days where I'm doing a chemical peel and my skin is flaking off in chunks or it's red and ruddy, but after I put on my makeup, you'd have a hard time telling I'm having a shitty skin day. No matter how I feel, minerals always make me look 10x better and healthier. Sometimes, if I'm feeling sick/have a cold, the flu, whatever, I dust a little blush on in the various colors I have, and it's an instant pick me up. bb_icon_cool.gif

Also, I find myself a little more daring with minerals than I ever was with drugstore makeup. I wear blushes in shades of red and plum, I wear blues and greens on my eyes, I use darker shades of foundation to contour my cheekbones. It's really fun to do my makeup now. I can tailor it to the outfit I'm wearing and look really put together in under an hour head to toe.

I hope you decide to try them. Minerals are, in my opinion and based on the ingredients, much safer than dept. store/drugstore makeup.

~Kat