Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lena2

Anyone had great success with lasers for indented scars?

Hi All,

I'm considering lasers for indented shallow scars on my cheek and I am wondering if anyone out there has had success with this treatment in terms of real improvement in their scars??????

Seems like initially there is some improvement which is negated over time (once the healing is complete) with negative side effects -

If you would share your experience - it would be appreciated - before I go laser all the skin off my face....thanks!!

Its not worth it. THe emotional distress and pain of not knowing whether your skin will ever be normal again is just not worth it. I wish i never ever ever did it. Plus it really doesnt make much of a difference, it actually made mine worse. I am now depressed over all the money I lost, and feel so stupid that i stooped so low thinking this would make me a better person. god made you 4 who you are. i now look worse and feel worse than b4 i started the treatments.

Its not worth it. THe emotional distress and pain of not knowing whether your skin will ever be normal again is just not worth it. I wish i never ever ever did it. Plus it really doesnt make much of a difference, it actually made mine worse. I am now depressed over all the money I lost, and feel so stupid that i stooped so low thinking this would make me a better person. god made you 4 who you are. i now look worse and feel worse than b4 i started the treatments.

Thanks for replying - I'm sorry you had a terrible experience...I am not going to try it. I too have had treatments that actually made my skin look worse and am still recovering from it.

Interesting...that there isn't anyone out there that is happy with the results of any laser treatment for acne scars. The industry must be collecting a lot of money from unsatisfied and unhappy patients.

I did have very good results with several CO2 resurfacings for indented scars. Mine were a mix of shallower scars and deeper boxcars (which probably should have been excised first). I had no major complications, but I also have pale skin and generally keep out of the sun. The resurfacing did flatten out my scars by both softening the edges and increasing overall collagen production.

One word of caution: A couple of years later I decided to do a series of microdermabrasions on the minor scarring that remained. Bad idea. The last session was too aggressive and it actually re-aggravated my original scars. Still not as bad as the were initially, but noticeable.

For small shallow acne scars a series of treatments with a CO2 fractional laser could be a good option. You will most likely need more than one treatment. The downside is that these treatments can be quite pricey. Another option is dermabrasion, not to be confused with microdermabrasion. Dermabrasion is when a plastic surgeon or dermatologist sands down the scars with a rotating wire brush to make the scars more flush and even with the surrounding skin. Dermabrasion tends to be more cost effective than fractional laser treatments and from what I've seen it also produces better results. There is social downtime with this treatment, but the end results are well worth it. It is very important when considering acne scar treatment that your acne is and has been well under control for 6 months to a year. There is no point in correcting scars if you are likely to get new ones in the near future. The best thing is to set up a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or a board certified dermatologist who specializes in cosmetic dermatology. They will be able to tell you what options would be best for your acne scars-everyone's scars are a little different.

I think for acne scars you should try ginale skin peel its a all natural skin peel with no chemicals. Its the only thing that got rid of my bad acne scars....

Hey - Which laser treatment did you get that made your skin worse?

Don't use lasers they ruin your skin. I had both fraxel restore done, and traditional Co2 resurfacing. After about 6 months to a year both caused enlarged pores, loss of fat and skin elasticity, and some perment redness(redness not so bed with fraxel but a lot with Co2).

The faxel plumed my skin for about a month after each and looked great so I really though it was working, but after they were all done (4 treatments) my scars just sank back into place with no improvement and 6 monthe latter I started to notice the lasting side effects.

Co2 not only did all that, but also caused more scars, lots of little nicks and ridges in by face, hyper and hypo pigmentation, burn scar like apearrance and texture in some areas that don't flush with the rest of my face, and weird orange peel like texture in other areas.

Lasers wreck people's skin way, way more than they help it, and a lot of the problems they cause don't show up untill months later. Never trust a reveiw unless that person is like a year out from thier procedure.

Edited by hinbe25

I saw improvement in my acne scars from fractional CO2 laser.

My treatment was called Total FX, and I just had my third treatment a week ago. My first treatment was in 2008, and I've had no negative side effects so far.

The medical community in europe is starting to publically acknowledge the unpredictability of results from laser treatments as well as the possibility of negative side effects.

The new thing is to pair up laser treatment with Re-Cell , which has a synergistic effect to improve results over standalone laser treatments as well as minimize the negative side effects.

Laser (damage skin for healing) + Re-cell (aid skin in healing. regenerate your own new skin tissue)

More info on Re-cell here

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Avita-Cel...re-t303094.html

Yeah, I had a terrible result too. Fat loss was apparent starting 2 years later. What a pity really that we pay to get photoage our faces. I believed the doctor though that the laser was minor and would improve the few scars I had. I hate the decision I made because it has impacted me every day since. The reflection in the mirror is the constant reminder.

name='hinbe25' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:35 PM' post='3098982']

Don't use lasers they ruin your skin. I had both fraxel restore done, and traditional Co2 resurfacing. After about 6 months to a year both caused enlarged pores, loss of fat and skin elasticity, and some perment redness(redness not so bed with fraxel but a lot with Co2).

The faxel plumed my skin for about a month after each and looked great so I really though it was working, but after they were all done (4 treatments) my scars just sank back into place with no improvement and 6 monthe latter I started to notice the lasting side effects.

Co2 not only did all that, but also caused more scars, lots of little nicks and ridges in by face, hyper and hypo pigmentation, burn scar like apearrance and texture in some areas that don't flush with the rest of my face, and weird orange peel like texture in other areas.

Lasers wreck people's skin way, way more than they help it, and a lot of the problems they cause don't show up untill months later. Never trust a reveiw unless that person is like a year out from thier procedure.

Guest velveeta

Hi All,

I'm considering lasers for indented shallow scars on my cheek and I am wondering if anyone out there has had success with this treatment in terms of real improvement in their scars??????

Seems like initially there is some improvement which is negated over time (once the healing is complete) with negative side effects -

If you would share your experience - it would be appreciated - before I go laser all the skin off my face....thanks!!

I just did it the apple of my right cheek on Wednesday the 23rd. I am recovering quickly, but the skin is red so I think it is too early too tell.

I did subscision with restalyne injection over a month ago which helped about 30%.

Has anyone used their FSA account for these type of expenses? If yes, what was the justification?

I had about 5 sessions of Smoothbeam which worked great for my cystic acne- it made it go away for a year. (However, I was also on birth control / spiro / antibiotics and cortisone injections so who knows- maybe the laser was actually a total sham)

After my cystic acne cleared up completely I then started Fraxel to get rid of my PIH. It didn't really do all that much, and I think it actually GAVE me indentations. Not cool.

Anyway, my cystic acne has since reappeared, and I've heard Fraxel can actually cause this. Fantastic! :(