Notifications
Clear all

Oratane (20mg) Log

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/08/2011 6:19 am

So, I started on Oratane 5 days ago (20mg). So far, there's no real sign of any serious IB, not that I expected anything so soon but reading through other posts, my initial excitement has quickly turned into serious apprehension.

Already I can see a few changes. My skin's a lot oilier than before, which is surprising, because my skin is very VERY oily to begin with. Also, my nose has become dry, flaky and itchy. Same with my scalp. My lips are fine for the moment but I know soon enough they're going to become extremely dry.

My skin's become a lot more sensitive and red. My break-outs aren't any worse, but my skin-tone has become a lot more uneven than normal.

:/

I'm really nervous about the next few weeks coming up. I know it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better, and I'm prepared to go through it to have clearer skin but I'm still in school and the thought of having to face everyone there with my red, blotchy skin is unbearable.

Not sure if anyone will read this, but for any girls. Did you find that wearing makeup whilst on Oratane severely affected your skin?

I don't plan on wearing it every day but I have a few parties coming up and I'm just afraid if I wear it, my skin will be like "What the hell? MAJOR BREAK OUT TIME!"

Hopefully I can get some advice on my "journey" with Oratane. :)

Feel free to post any current/past experiences. I plan to update every few days. Pictures to come!

x

MemberMember
(@mdp)

Posted : 05/08/2011 7:13 am

Hey!

I started Oratane 4 days ago now and almost immediately my lips were so dry! I feel like my skin is more itchy and flaky around my forehead (that's where the most of my acne is). I used to have almost nothing on my cheeks but i can see three or four new pimples starting to come out on each cheek.

I'm so glad someone else is starting Oratane at the same time as me I'm really apprehensive and a little scared. All i want is beautiful clear skin and i can't believe it's going to take as long as 6 months!

I've been using a Shiseido liquid foundation and a mineral powder on the top but I'm thinking of giving it a rest for a while seeing as it can't be good for our skin to keep covering it up.

Hope it helps, i'll keep reading this hopefully if something strange slash amazing happens it'll happen at the same time :)

good luck!!!!

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/08/2011 7:20 am

Wow that's amazing!! I'm so glad someone is starting at the same time as me too.

I've gone through countless topical and oral antibiotics, different medications and treatments and nothing has worked.

As for the IB I may or may not be experiencing, already my nose is SO red and itchy and flaky. ):

I'm just about to post pictures.

And I can't believe that about your cheeks, because not even kidding, I was just about to post about how MY cheeks have suddenly had break-outs, whereas I've never had any there before. Only on my chin, nose and forehead.

Hopefully we can keep each other updated on the IB and progress!

Pretty scared about uploading these photos. I don't think anyone, other than very close friends and family, have seen me makeup-less.

It sounds silly, but it really can make all the difference when it comes to self-confidence and everything.

Hope to hear from you again and good luck too! xx

As for my original post, here are some photos I took a few minutes ago (I apologise about the shit quality, but the camera on my phone will have to do for the time being)

post-150110-1304857150_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1304857159_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1304857181_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1304857150_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1304857159_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1304857181_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/08/2011 7:23 am

It seems silly to keep updating, despite nothing happening. But after posting those photos and looking at them on the big screen, I had one of those cringe-worthy moments where I was like "What person could ever stand looking at that, let alone love it or want to kiss it?"

I know it's not the Oratane that's causing these mood swings so early, I guess it's just the realisation that my skin is worse than I original thought.

It can only get better (first, it's going to get a lot worse) but then better from here.

:D

Can't wait to have beautiful, clear skin and feel pretty!

MemberMember
(@mdp)

Posted : 05/08/2011 7:39 am

I think everyone feels the same way, I only started four days ago and already I'm spending most mornings looking at my skin pressed right up against the mirror, expecting some sort of miracle cure.

All we can do now is wait, and apparently rooibos tea helps when you're on Oratane (to get rid of the dryness or something im not sure). So i'll give that a try tomorrow.

I'm going to check in here almost everyday I'm pretty sure ahahah i'm that keen for the stupid results!

Hopefully my photo's will upload successfully and argh i don't want to look at them. The quality of my webcam isn't that great but hopefully it gives you some sort of comfort knowing we're going through the same thing :)

post-150102-1304858049_thumb.jpg

post-150102-1304858066_thumb.jpg

post-150102-1304858049_thumb.jpg

post-150102-1304858066_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/08/2011 7:55 am

Thanks for the tip on the tea! I'll definitely give it a try. :)

I've currently been using a very gentle face wash called QV. It stings a tiny bit when it foams up, but it subsides once you wash it off.

I've also been using a moisturiser called "Avene" and Lucas' Papaw Ointment (25g) tube. It works miracles for my lips (which have actually started to become a little drier), and I also use it for the sides of my nose which are really itchy and dry right now.

That was really awesome of you to upload pictures too, it's not easy at all. You're really, really pretty and I know that the Tane will do wonders for us both.

I can't wait to see your progress, side by side! I'll keep you updated along with anyone else who reads this post.

MemberMember
(@xxwalkthiswayxx)

Posted : 05/08/2011 3:25 pm

Good luck, girl!

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 05/08/2011 5:26 pm

I second that good luck! cant wait to start

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/09/2011 1:47 am

Thanks guys! Your support means a lot :) many of my friends don't understand what I'm about to go through, or what I have been going through for the past few years.

Good luck with the Tane too! xx

Day 6

Nothing significant to really write about. I'm not sure how early IB usually starts, but I think mine has begun expectionally early. My skin has never, ever been this bad before.

It's painful too, as opposed to just being annoying and unsightly.

I have five actives on my chin. I know. Sexy.

It's just horrible. I know it's going to get worse too, which is the most terrifying part.

I feel absolutely disgusting.

Oily but also very dry and tight at the same time. My skin is bright red and my red marks and bumps are really, really red too.

One of the major ups though, is that I'm really starting to find my routine, I'm eating three square meals, which I now make sure are as beneficial and healthy as possible and I'm beginning a running schedule soon.

So hopefully by the time I'm done, which will be my birthday in the spring, I'll have trimmed down slightly and have clearer skin!

And then after that its summer. Which I've always dreaded. I hated going to the beach and being makeup-less, with the blotches and bumps and uneven skin tone.

I'll get some more photos up soon. I'd really like to track my "progress" dutifully, even if I do look absolutely hideous.

MemberMember
(@mdp)

Posted : 05/09/2011 2:04 am

hey again!

Nothing too new for me either today. My skin is starting to peel and it's really really itchy. Everytime I wash and dry it the skin that's peeling starts coming off. I don't know if im just super attentive now that we're on Oratane but its almost as if my skin is thinner, i.e. the actives are bleeding just from washing.

Called my dermatologist today to clear up some medication questions and I'm on 25mg Prednisolone tablets as well now as opposed to just 20mg before. Don't know much about steroid side effects but so far i've just been feeling a little nauseous after i eat, nothing serious though thanks goodness!

Have to go out tonight to rehearse for a musical theatre production and absolutely dreading it. I don't want to put on make up but there's no way I'm going out looking like a poisonous mushroom ahahah so i'll just have to wash it off as soon as I get home.

:)

xx

Menante

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/09/2011 9:04 am

hey again!

Nothing too new for me either today. My skin is starting to peel and it's really really itchy. Everytime I wash and dry it the skin that's peeling starts coming off. I don't know if im just super attentive now that we're on Oratane but its almost as if my skin is thinner, i.e. the actives are bleeding just from washing.

Called my dermatologist today to clear up some medication questions and I'm on 25mg Prednisolone tablets as well now as opposed to just 20mg before. Don't know much about steroid side effects but so far i've just been feeling a little nauseous after i eat, nothing serious though thanks goodness!

Have to go out tonight to rehearse for a musical theatre production and absolutely dreading it. I don't want to put on make up but there's no way I'm going out looking like a poisonous mushroom ahahah so i'll just have to wash it off as soon as I get home.

xx

Menante

Same! My skin is quite dry, and it feels very taut and hot...almost like being sunburnt, but I know I'm not.

Wow, haha, I think we're experiencing pretty much the same thing. My face stings at the slightest touch now.

This is just the beginning though.

Oh okay, that's interesting, tell me how that goes! It's almost good that we can update one another on our own experiences, since we started around the same time. It's mean to say, but I'm glad I'm not alone in this. :)

I understand about the nausea a little, only it's when I don't eat enough or at all. Today, for instance, I wasn't really hungry in the morning so I skipped it and just took the pill as it was (along with YAZ) and after about an hour I started feeling fairly sick.

I hope your night went alright, and I completely understand about the makeup thing. We're not allowed to wear it during school hours anyway, and it's an all-girls school so I'm not there to impress anyone. :P

Tell me how the makeup goes, if it feels any different, looks any different?

Hope the effect of the Prednisolone isn't too severe. :)

xx

Keep me updated and I'll keep you updated! This is really interesting, because it seems we're experiencing such similar changes.

MemberMember
(@breetard89)

Posted : 05/09/2011 11:20 pm

Hey! I'm also on Oratane :) 37 days in.

I can't wear makeup any longer. It looks awful with dry skin. And it sucks.

I haven't read entirely through your log as I'm at work and on my iPhone!

But I also have a log, feel free to check it out! :)

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/10/2011 1:28 am

Hey! I'm also on Oratane :) 37 days in.

I can't wear makeup any longer. It looks awful with dry skin. And it sucks.

I haven't read entirely through your log as I'm at work and on my iPhone!

But I also have a log, feel free to check it out! :)

Oh awesome! :D I'll definitely read through your log and follow it.

It's good to know there are others who are taking the exact same name brand of Isotretinoin.

Even now, 7 days in, I've tried on make-up and it doesn't look the same.

I hope Oratane works for you! :D

x

MemberMember
(@mdp)

Posted : 05/10/2011 2:51 am

Same! My skin is quite dry, and it feels very taut and hot...almost like being sunburnt, but I know I'm not.

Wow, haha, I think we're experiencing pretty much the same thing. My face stings at the slightest touch now.

Oh okay, that's interesting, tell me how that goes! It's almost good that we can update one another on our own experiences, since we started around the same time. It's mean to say, but I'm glad I'm not alone in this. :)

I understand about the nausea a little, only it's when I don't eat enough or at all. Today, for instance, I wasn't really hungry in the morning so I skipped it and just took the pill as it was (along with YAZ) and after about an hour I started feeling fairly sick.

I hope your night went alright, and I completely understand about the makeup thing. We're not allowed to wear it during school hours anyway, and it's an all-girls school so I'm not there to impress anyone. :P

xx

Keep me updated and I'll keep you updated! This is really interesting, because it seems we're experiencing such similar changes.

Today's been so bad! i went to uni with makeup on and i felt ok but as soon as i got home the IB was really really bad. my skin seems redder and still really dry and itchy. I'm really starting to notice the dry lips but I'm just using Pawpaw ointment to keep that under control, that stuff is amazing!

I was supposed to go out tonight with a friend for dinner but ended up cancelling and gave some bogus excuse. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO US!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!? its unbelievably frustrating and i can't believe im only on day 6 of the oratane. I don't know what to do anymore except just stay inside my house for the next three months.

Hope your day was better than mine. here are some new picture, the quality is still crappy and i've got one of those invisible bandaids on to stop me from picking at it.

MemberMember
(@breetard89)

Posted : 05/10/2011 6:26 am

Pawpaw is a God send! I use it on red marks or pimples that I've popped (Gross I know) but anyway, it is seriously the best thing I have used to help heal my skin. It works wonders.

Loveeee it!

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/10/2011 7:35 am

Pawpaw is a God send! I use it on red marks or pimples that I've popped (Gross I know) but anyway, it is seriously the best thing I have used to help heal my skin. It works wonders.

Loveeee it!

Oh my God, AGREED!!! I absolutely love it. It works straight away, and is so good for the side of my nose/lips.

Instantly hydrates. The only problem I've had is the fact that I have to put it on 100 times a day, haha.

Other than that, I really like it. :)

And I use it for dry spots and popped pimples too!

Currently reading your log, and anticipating major IB any day now...

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/10/2011 7:44 am

xx

Today's been so bad! i went to uni with makeup on and i felt ok but as soon as i got home the IB was really really bad. my skin seems redder and still really dry and itchy. I'm really starting to notice the dry lips but I'm just using Pawpaw ointment to keep that under control, that stuff is amazing!

I was supposed to go out tonight with a friend for dinner but ended up cancelling and gave some bogus excuse. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO US!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!? its unbelievably frustrating and i can't believe im only on day 6 of the oratane. I don't know what to do anymore except just stay inside my house for the next three months.

Hope your day was better than mine. here are some new picture, the quality is still crappy and i've got one of those invisible bandaids on to stop me from picking at it.

I had such a crap day too! Sorry to hear your day was so bad. :( I hate the idea of going out now, even just to school! Which I have to go to.

Friends keep inviting me out but I just can't even muster up the motivation or confidence either...

And it's like we're experiencing the same thing, I swear. :P My skin is so becoming dry too, and red. My chin looks SO horrible!

(Just a side note: Papaw is the best! I use it too.)

I know!!! It sucks so much. ))): I always wonder what I did to deserve this...hahaha.

It's sort of good we're both on Oratane and both so close together on our starting dates.

It's almost strangely comforting knowing I'm not alone in this, and that there are people on here who don't judge or sneer. (You'd be surprised how many people do...)

I'll update on my "progress" tomorrow, and get a few photos with my proper camera...prepare to be disgusted. ):

(Clear band-aid idea is awesome!! I keep telling myself not to scratch and pick but it's so hard.)

Your skin looks amazing, just the forehead has flared up, which is exactly like my chin.

We'll get through it together though. :D Woo!

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/10/2011 1:33 pm

May as well make an entry for Day 8, since I'm up anyway.

:P

Day 8

I'm actually not sure if most of this is psychological, but I'm really starting to notice the effects of the Oratane now.

My lips aren't too dry, but I can tell they're going to dry out quite soon (so not excited!)

On my forehead, I've got two white heads, one underneath the other right in the corner. I'm becoming flaky and peeling around my eyebrows and general forehead area.

My face is normally extremely oily. As in, reflective, shining, blinding kind of oily, but it seems to have slowed down a little.

The skin around the base of my nose is pretty raw and itchy, but the Papaw seems to be doing a pretty good job at keeping it less irritated and sore.

My right cheek now has two cysts, something I've rarely experienced before. One still in the hollow of the cheek itself, and the other on the cheek bone. There are quite a number of bumps on that cheek, some red, some not.

My upper lip area is alright, although in the left corner, I have a white head that I (stupidly) popped. So now it's just a red (somewhat painful) mark.

My left cheek is a mess. There are red marks all up and down, all over it. I've never had this before. Most of my acne was on my chin and right next to my nose. I've never really had any on my cheeks before.

It's a little depressing, but hopefully in time they will fade.

There are no actives or cysts on that side, only bumps and red marks.

My chin. Lawdy, here we go. My chin is absolutely disgusting. It's red all over. And obviously red at that. My skin is very, very pale, so the red just seems to be highlighted by my pallor.

I had two massive actives on either side of my chin a few days ago that I popped, out of sheer impatience, and they are now peeling, flaky and very obviously red.

I have scars and red marks all over my chin. I don't think there's one area that's actually clear.

It's early on but it's times like these I really feel discouraged.

Best to just keep my chin up though!

Photos to come later today (after I've showered and prepared for school)

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/10/2011 10:29 pm

Today after school (still day 8). Absolutely no difference, apart from increased redness, dryness and a cyst. :/

Right cheek, cyst right in the hollow, quite a bit of redness and red marks. Have a tiny bit of pitting, but it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

Left cheek, similar to the right cheek, pretty much no pitting and more red marks.

Full face, not that noticeable from the camera angle, but I'm not happy with how I look...

And finally my chin, which is what I seem to have the most trouble with.

post-150110-1305084428_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1305084464_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1305084516_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1305084542_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1305084428_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1305084464_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1305084516_thumb.jpg

post-150110-1305084542_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@breetard89)

Posted : 05/11/2011 1:55 am

Just stay strong - you skin doesn't look too bad now, imagine how nice it's going to look when you've finished your course! :)

I'm ready for it to end and I've still got 3.3 months left. Haha. Bummer.

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/11/2011 4:25 am

Just stay strong - you skin doesn't look too bad now, imagine how nice it's going to look when you've finished your course! :)

Awww thanks hun! That really made my day. :D

I'm so psyched. I just...have to know this is going to work. You know?

Wow! I'm sure your skin is going to look amazing. :) Good luck for the next 3.3 months.

3.3 months will hopefully fly by though.

xx

MemberMember
(@breetard89)

Posted : 05/11/2011 5:39 am

Awww thanks hun! That really made my day. :D

I'm so psyched. I just...have to know this is going to work. You know?

Wow! I'm sure your skin is going to look amazing. :) Good luck for the next 3.3 months.

3.3 months will hopefully fly by though.

xx

Hey, anytime! Being positive is such a big thing on this medication. It's always great to vent, but at the end of the day you have to stay positive. :)

I really hope so! This first month and a bit had flown by! Hopefully yours will go super quick too!

MemberMember
(@mdp)

Posted : 05/11/2011 6:55 am

Today after school (still day 8). Absolutely no difference, apart from increased redness, dryness and a cyst. :/

Right cheek, cyst right in the hollow, quite a bit of redness and red marks. Have a tiny bit of pitting, but it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

Left cheek, similar to the right cheek, pretty much no pitting and more red marks.

Full face, not that noticeable from the camera angle, but I'm not happy with how I look...

And finally my chin, which is what I seem to have the most trouble with.

hey! thanks for the comment :) i was trying to leave one back but then my technological difficulty prevented me and i couldn't figure it out.

today was as terrible as yesterday, at least i didn't have to wear any make up so my skin could just breathe. im only on 20mg once a day so your dosage is twice what mine is! that means my skin is going to take FOREVER to clear up. argh! this sucks.

ill try and post some real photo's from a real camera tomorrow when i have some time because those webcam ones really don't do the disgustingness justice, at least then some people outside my immediate family will have an idea what the hideousness behind the foundation looks like ahahahah.

only a few more months!!!

Menante

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 05/11/2011 6:58 am

Another aussie on Oratane.

MemberMember
(@belimeza)

Posted : 05/11/2011 7:15 am

Another aussie on Oratane.

There seem to be heaps of us! Well, we can all stick together and get through this. :D

I'll be sure to read your log.

x

Good luck on Oratane, I really hope it works for you. :)