Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted
1 minute ago, Biggest Brother said:

What kind of symptoms did you have that you noticed went away after fasting? What fasting program did you follow? 

Its called 16/8. 16 hour fast mostly overnight. 8 hour window for eating through the day. I still do it now most days.
I've had too many symptoms to mention after accutane but most of the common ones. Fatigue, brain fog and headaches lasting for weeks which I now believe were most probably intracranial hypertension.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28017254

Just now, marshl1 said:

Its called 16/8. 16 hour fast mostly overnight. 8 hour window for eating through the day. I still do it now most days.
I've had too many symptoms to mention after accutane but most of the common ones. Fatigue, brain fog and headaches lasting for weeks which I now believe were most probably intracranial hypertension.

I'd get flares of inflammation throughout my body lasting for weeks and best described as a Fibromyalgia type condition. Fasting is a very powerful anti inflammatory and it helped me massively during these flare up. I would fast for 24 hours and feel much better the next day.   

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2018 at 10:31 AM, marshl1 said:

Removed by author.

Edited by Deleted Account

Posted (edited)

Removed by author.

Posted
19 hours ago, marshl1 said:

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2018 at 10:48 AM, Devolution said:

Apologies I know some of you have seen this already as someone made it a post over at Propeciahelp but i would like to link the study anyhow for the people who haven't seen it, it show's how we can fix gene expression without causing unwanted mutations,  if that is our issue, I'd recommend following the Propeciahelp forum too as I only joined the other day and it's quite a positive forum.

@Benjamin94
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29224783

Thanks for sharing this here.

Here are links to the full text of that study, and another one describing use of CAS9 with deactivated nuclease activity to change methylation status without cutting the DNA:

H.-K. Liao et al., “In Vivo Target Gene Activation via CRISPR/Cas9-Mediated Trans-epigenetic Modulation,” Cell, vol. 171, no. 7, p. 1495–1507.e15, Dec. 2017.

X. S. Liu et al., “Editing DNA Methylation in the Mammalian Genome,” Cell, vol. 167, no. 1, p. 233–247.e17, Sep. 2016.

Edited by Dubya_B

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2018 at 1:29 PM, marshl1 said:

Yes they could see the floaters after dilating my pupils and performing a simple slit lamp test. They were floating around inside the vitreous
I have floaters. I am going to get this test when I get a chance to confirm the floaters are of the same nature. (you would think this could be a lawsuit if provable and not mentioned in the pamphlet.) 
Something like this is also what sparks further studies.
there are still plenty of ongoing studies on isotretinoin and similar.

Speaking of floaters and various eye problems
who has vision problems? dryness, irritation, light sensitivity, problems with night vision, eye floaters
BUT still has 20/20 vision?
anyone?
Do you have astigmatism?
Do you wear contacts?

A side note if you wear contacts.
Clean & Clear might help.
Its a unique lens solutions that contains hydrogen peroxide.
This will help kill unwanted pathogens that could easily build up on your contacts.

NIH study shows microbe living on the surface of the eye protects cornea 
Eye microbiome trains immune cells to fend off pathogens in mice. NIH study shows microbe living on the surface of the eye protects cornea from infection. C. mast is a commensal bacterium living on the surface of the eye. Bugs in your eyes may be a good thing.Jul 11, 2017
Edited by guitarman01

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2018 at 2:56 AM, guitarman01 said:

Removed by author.

Posted
11 hours ago, Devolution said:

i have those issues yes and my good eye showed no issues in a general eye test, still awaiting the optamolgist appointment but my best guess would be to get an electroretinogram to check for cell dysfunction as a few of these issues are more than likely linked to epigenetic changes that will show no issues with the eye itself in a standard test. 

"Persistent, scotopic electroretinographic changes and significant reduction of dark adaptation have been associated with isotretinoin use,4,5 but it is unclear if these are clinically significant.4,7Animal studies have demonstrated persistent delays in rhodopsin regeneration and a slow recovery of rod sensitivity after light exposure after administration of isotretinoin."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1857209/

I do think this stuff is reversible, just a matter of working out how to fix it by returning the dysfunction back to its previous state. As a fair few people are starting to think Crispr is our best bet if these issues don't eventually return back to their original function with time. Hopefully there are many treatment options in the future.

Here is the place im currently awaiting to go to and its interesting that they do research there too so maybe they will be willing to listen, i think im going to send them an email about the potential long term complication of oral isotretinoin on the eyes in case they aren't aware, im not great with all this stuff so if anyone has any studies or anything that may help me show them the dangers of this medicine on the eyes, feel free to message me. If i can try get them to take an interest, it could help others in a similar situation as I'll be posting the results.

http://www.researchfoundation.ie/research.asp

Yes I definitely have these issues. Particular floaters, dry eyes, photophobia and loss of night vision. I've had these issues for at least 4 years since taking Accutane. My vision is 20/20.
I can't see floaters getting better. They are lumps of collagen floating around in the vitreous with no place to go. Posterior vitreous detachment is a natural deterioration of the eyes which happens in the natural process of ageing and this often leads to floaters. Maybe Accutane speeds up this process? 
The only way to get rid of floaters would be to have an FOV or Floaters Only Vitrectomy.

I don't know if it's apparent to anyone else that these eye conditions are the same as those caused  by Vitamin A toxicity. Accutane is a form of retinoic acid as is Vitmain A therefore in my opinion it's not enough to stop Accutane and expect these eye conditions to heal why you are still consuming the same poison in the form of Vitamin A. Yes it's not the same mega doses we consume in the form of Accutane pills but dietary Vitamin A can still be very high and therefore significant. This idea just doesn't seem to be getting the attention it deserves here. 
Im getting on with trying to restore my eye health anyway and i'll report back if I have success but like I said im pretty much sure the floaters are here to stay.

Thanks,
Lee

Posted

Hi, i've been lurking for a while now but just signed up to comment here. About a year ago i noticed i had a lower libido, my frequency and quality of erections had decreased, ejaculate volume had decreased and over time the size of my testicles has drastically decreased. After going to numerous doctors it was found that my hormone levels were essentially normal. My total T, SHBG and LH were high but everything else was normal as far as I recall. Not sure of free T. The only thing my symptoms could've been explained by in any way was a severe left sided varicocele (a testicular varicose vein), which I had unsuccessful surgery for. Still hoping to have it treated just to rule it out. Basically, as time has gone on I've realised that literally no one suffers from symptoms to this extent if they just have a varicocele. So, trying to work out why this is happening to me, I remembered that I had the same ejaculatory and erectile issues whilst on accutane. I was on accutane for just over a week about two years ago, on the lowest dose, 20mg a day or something I think. I stopped because of the sexual side effects, which started literally straight away. Weirdly, I had the strangest and most disturbing dreams too. After stopping, the side effects went away. Did nothing for my acne in that time of course, but I had slightly dry skin. Forgot about accutane in the intervening year, and then a year ago suddenly all these sexual problems started out of the blue. After a load of research to find out what is happening to me, I keep coming back to accutane. Even the fact that an endocrinologist I saw suggested I might have some kind of androgen insensitivity adds up. It's the only cause I can think of that explains the extent of testicular atrophy. To be honest just typing this out seems mad, taking accutane at a low dose for a week surely couldn't cause these effects? But I'm at a point where I have no other explanation. I also suffer from very severe depression and anxiety which were nowhere near as bad pre-accutane. I've always been extremely sensitive to drugs and supplements but surely such a low dose of accutane for just over one week couldn't be the reason for these symptoms?

I was wondering whether or not anyone here has heard of anything like this or what your thoughts were?    

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2018 at 9:56 PM, guitarman01 said:

NIH study shows microbe living on the surface of the eye protects cornea 
Eye microbiome trains immune cells to fend off pathogens in mice. NIH study shows microbe living on the surface of the eye protects cornea from infection. C. mast is a commensal bacterium living on the surface of the eye. Bugs in your eyes may be a good thing.Jul 11, 2017

Perhaps altered lipid profile of tear film creates an unfavorable environment for these commensal bacteria, and leads to conjunctivitis and blepharitis?

S. F. Egger et al., “Ocular side effects associated with 13‐cis‐retinoic acid therapy for acne vulgaris: clinical features, alterations of tearfilm and conjunctival flora,” Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 355–357, May 2009.

ABSTRACTIsotretinoin (13‐cis‐retinoic acid) is commonly used for the treatment of acne vulgaris. We included 55 patients in this prospective study, and inspected them before, while and after therapy with isotretinoin regarding ocular side effects. Careful slit‐lamp inspection, measurement of break‐up‐time and Schirmer‐test and microbiological investigations of the conjunctival flora were performed. While staphylococcus aureus was cultured from the conjunctival sac before application of isotretinoin in 7.3%, this percentage increased to 61.8% during therapy. A pathological decrease of break‐up‐time was realized in 69.1% of the cases, the development of blepharitis in 40%. But in spite of the alteration of conjunctival flora, bacterial conjunctivitis developed in just 7.3% of the cases. However, only 34.5% of the patients showed symptoms of a conjunctivitis sicca, in spite of the impressive diminution of break‐up‐time in so many cases. All ocular side effects of isotretinoin were treatable and disappeared completely within 1 month after stopping therapy.

H. Norouzi, H. M. Rabei, K. Sheibani, R. Malekmohammadi, and S. Salehirad, “Evaluation of Tear Function among Acne Vulgaris Patients Undergoing Treatment with Isotretinoin,” Journal of Ophthalmic and Optometric Sciences, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–6, Sep. 2016.

Findings: Thirty nine patients entered the study. There were 5 patients complaining of eye strain before treatment, which rose to 19 patients after Isotretinoin therapy (p<0.001). The tear break up time was 13±1 seconds which decreased to 9±1 (p<0.001) after therapy and the Schirmer’s test mean reading was 22±2mm, which was reduced to 18±5 (p<0.001) after treatment. There were 4 patients with blepharitis before the treatment which rose to 19 patients after the end of Isotretinoin treatment (p<0.001).

Conclusion: Isotretinoin usage (0.5-1mg/kg for two months) impairs the tear secretion and causes dry eye and blepharitis among patients. Considering the young age of patients using this drug, some of them candidates for keratorefractive surgery, a history of Isotretinoin usage should be considered before commencing the surgery. We recommend postponing the refractive surgery among these patients until the signs of dry eye are subsided. 

@Biggest Brother

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/blepharitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20370141

Blepharitis symptoms and signs include:

• Watery eyes
  • Red eyes
  • A gritty, burning or stinging sensation in the eyes
  • Eyelids that appear greasy
  • Itchy eyelids
  • Red, swollen eyelids
  • Flaking of the skin around the eyes
  • Crusted eyelashes upon awakening
  • Eyelid sticking
  • More frequent blinking
  • Sensitivity to light
  • Eyelashes that grow abnormally (misdirected eyelashes)
  • Loss of eyelashes
Edited by Dubya_B

Posted

I’m more concerned with what it’s done to the brain??

As much as I have some of these eye issues, what about brain impairment?

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2018 at 3:56 PM, guitarman01 said:
Speaking of floaters and various eye problems
who has vision problems? dryness, irritation, light sensitivity, problems with night vision, eye floaters
BUT still has 20/20 vision?
anyone?

We took my brother to a ophthalmologist and he had everything you are mentioning, but also 20/20 vision. We noticed that the doc could not collect tears from the left eye but could from the right. We did this meiobian gland therapy which massaged the glands with heat to help push the blocked oil out. 

This seemed to work at first he claimed he felt great but there would also need to be some daily maintenance of rubbing his glands and i don't think he's been keeping up with it. 

As an update,  to my brother's condition, he's seeing another natural path that believes the first step is to rid the body of Vitamin A and then address the other symptoms.  

We received the hair analysis back that was very in depth. Overall report suggest the following:  
1. Slow Oxidation rate
2. body is in the exhaustion stage of stress. 
3. pattern of diminished cellular adrenal glandular activity 
4. cellular thyroid effect that is outside an optimal range. 
5. low sodium potassium ratio. 
6. copper imbalance 
7. impaired protein synthesis 
8. High phosphorous level/low sodium potassium ratio. 

and more. ......basically this is a 42 page pdf that shows his mineral levels and what his body is going through. Thankfully they say his results are one of the healthiest they've seen in a while of people who have opted for this hair analysis.  

we are waiting further instruction from lewis rowlands and dr. wilson on what his supplements should be to balance out his levels. In the mean time he's adopted a suggested diet that is heavy on vegetables. There was one night this week where he got up in the middle of the night and claimed his mouth was moist and his eyes were oily. Very promising so far it's been almost 3 months since he took the one pill and about 3 weeks total of detox.  

The depression is still brutal though.

13 hours ago, Dubya_B said:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/blepharitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20370141

Blepharitis symptoms and signs include:

• Watery eyes
  • Red eyes
  • A gritty, burning or stinging sensation in the eyes
  • Eyelids that appear greasy
  • Itchy eyelids
  • Red, swollen eyelids
  • Flaking of the skin around the eyes
  • Crusted eyelashes upon awakening
  • Eyelid sticking
  • More frequent blinking
  • Sensitivity to light
  • Eyelashes that grow abnormally (misdirected eyelashes)
  • Loss of eyelashes
@Dubya_B Thanks!
13 hours ago, childofsungod said:

I've always been extremely sensitive to drugs and supplements but surely such a low dose of accutane for just over one week couldn't be the reason for these symptoms?

I was wondering whether or not anyone here has heard of anything like this or what your thoughts were?    

@childofsungod My brother took 1 dose at 20 mg and in hours he felt his body change. Thankfully it's only been 3 months so we're seeing signs of improvement. We've taken the right steps to try and detox his body of the Vitamin A. If it's still relatively new in your system i'd say try and detox it out , take natural supplements, exercise and do acupuncture. Drink plenty of liquids. Ultimately, help your body eat foods that will make the vitamin A bind to it while you're trying to detox it out. Theres plenty of great research people here on this forum have been supplying i'd suggest reading through most of it as I have. The one thing I do believe in is the mental state of mind being a huge factor of finding success in reverting symptoms. 
19 hours ago, marshl1 said:

I don't know if it's apparent to anyone else that these eye conditions are the same as those caused  by Vitamin A toxicity. Accutane is a form of retinoic acid as is Vitmain A therefore in my opinion it's not enough to stop Accutane and expect these eye conditions to heal why you are still consuming the same poison in the form of Vitamin A. Yes it's not the same mega doses we consume in the form of Accutane pills but dietary Vitamin A can still be very high and therefore significant. This idea just doesn't seem to be getting the attention it deserves here. 
Im getting on with trying to restore my eye health anyway and i'll report back if I have success but like I said im pretty much sure the floaters are here to stay.

@Devolution I was reading somewhere that someone suggested taking some small % of vitamin A because it could counter act the toxicity, i can't recall where but I do believe you are right that it's just triggering your body to enable it again. Some how i want to believe acupuncture is connected to this but i don't have the research to prove that. I just wanted to be sure that you are suggesting taking a small amount of vitamin A to act as a solution. When my brother was on the multivitamin he did start to feel a bit better, not sure if it was the copper or the zinc or vitamin a that did it.  

never give up. Edited by Biggest Brother

Posted

I doubt one pill would have done any damage at all and it certainly wouldn’t have caused vitamin a toxicity.
thats as stupid as drinking one pint of beer and claiming you have liver damage 
this thread is going down hill 

Posted

I know someone who got side effects just reading about Roaccutane - that’s how dangerous this drug is 

Nah...one pill though and getting side effects, that is bizarre, must of wreaked havoc on hormones over say effecting the liver....who knows....

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2018 at 5:16 PM, TrueJustice said:

Removed by author.

Posted

Hello
I"m 31years old male

I"m  taken the accutane  2years ago 2 month
then hairloss begun.............

The hairloss has continued now..

no male pattern baldness, i lost side, back, crown, ,front all hairloss

i lost 80% hair........

I"m take finasterid in 6 months. But don't stop the hair loss

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTIONS FOR HAIRLOSS??????

I want to commit sucide because of my hair loss..........

Posted

I often read accutane can speed up MPB but how does this work? Accutane is highly anti-androgenic and acts kinda like finasteride (5AR inhibition) so I am wondering why people say accutane can accelerate mpb? I found some old posts where people took accutane for hair loss (because of the DHT decreasing effects)... it is to mention that hundred thousands of guys took accutane and if it truly accelerated MPB it have been medically noted by now, right?
Maybe the answer for early onset of MPB in these individuals is 'shitty genetics' but this answer is highly unsatisfying so they search for other causes.. i for myself too experienced some acceleration of MPB but I could never know for sure if accutane caused this because MPB does actually run in my family.. my dad and granddad have a full head of hair but 2 of my uncles and one cousin (who is the same age as me) are bald so this all could also be natural... dont know 

Posted

Ah man, after over a year of trying to find out what is happening to me, all the signs point towards Post Accutane Syndrome. I get joint pain too, especially in my knees and knuckles, but never connected that with the sexual problems. I have slightly dry eyes and very occasionally get floaters. Does anyone know if there is a way to get tested for it? Is there some way to actually find out if it has affected gene expression? Like gene mapping or something? Feeling pretty bleak that there is a possibility I am suffering from this as recovery looks like a hard task that can take many years if it even happens at all. The most concerning symptom for me is the testicular atrophy, which I think it is fair to say is linked to the sexual problems. I went from having a bulk that I was confident in to having two large-ish grapes. According to a recent ultrasound they are both at around the 10ml mark, whilst the average is 20ml. Does anyone know of anyone who has managed to recover from testicular shrinkage? Must say I'm feeling quite bleak. As it is I am fairly certain I won't be able to have kids or get into any kind of meaningful, long-term relationship. It has me kind of wondering what's the point? This is hardly a walk in the park at any age but at 22 it's so painful to see my friends going out and enjoying their lives whilst this is hanging over me, and I'm indoors moaning about my shrinking nuts to complete strangers on an acne forum lol.

Posted (edited)

Removed by author.
Edited by Devolution

Posted
2 hours ago, Devolution said:

Hey guys, one of the admins of propeciahelp shared this about accutane and I think it's essential we get as many of us as possible emailing her! I'm going to send her one now, please support this story guys.

https://forum.propeciahelp.com/t/accutane-journalist-seeks-interviewees-for-isotretinoin-side-effects-research-uk-issues-drug-safety-update-and-cosmo-magazine-covers-devastating-persistent-effects/30438

Edit: This is what i wrote to her so hopefully she writes back as there is so much to say.

Hey Louisa,

I read a post over on Propeciahelp.com about you looking to interview accutane victims and thought this would be a great opportunity to get the word out about the potential life ruining side effects (accutane) isotretinoin can cause. Firstly I'd like to say I'm a 20 year old male from Ireland and use a forum name called Devolution to hide my identity. I posted my side effects on a few sites to spread the world and i will actually paste the link to my post at the bottom of this email and if you manage to have a look and find it beneficial, i would be more than happy to talk about them in a more structured manner suitable for an interview as I didn't do any editing to the initial post so a lot of stuff could be described better or changed slightly to make more sense.

This is a very sensitive topic to me and a lot of others that have effected us immensely, i don't feel like the same person and I'd love for more people to understand this condition so it could potentially be fixed, or at the very least get support provided as most of us post accutane syndrome victims are left in the dark to either commit suicide, fail to be believed by so called "medical professionals" or try to self medicate/experiment to fix something we don't understand.
I'm not sure if you know about post finasteroid syndrome but it's the closest thing i can describe that most likely is a form of what accutane has done, i will also link the post finasteroid syndrome side effects, you'll see they are extremely similar to mine and a lot of other accutane victims. 

My Post:

Thanks Devolution, I will also reach out to her. I posted in propecia help as well. Thanks again for being you.

Posted
On 7/2/2018 at 8:59 AM, Biggest Brother said:

Hi Guys, 

Lots of great material i've been reading from this thread I appreciate the findings. I'd like to know your thoughts on my brother who is experiencing this issue. He is 26 years old, nurse working in the ER. 

Context:  It's been about 2 months so far, he took 1 dose at 20 mg and stopped. Within two hours of taking the one dose he started to feel his body change. He explains that he feels, brain fog, dry eyes, dry skin, joint pain, anxiety, depression, and suicide. When I asked him to describe the pain he says the biggest issue is his eyes always feel like there is sand in it. That when he wakes up his eyes feel like they were never asleep. 

Action Plan: So far we found a natural path who has got him on a bunch of supplements such as, multi-vitamin, zetox, berberine, and about 6 other natural supplements (sorry I'm not at his house at the moment so i can't see the rest) He's been getting massages, runs daily, acupuncture. So far it's been two weeks on this detox program he's mentioned that his bowel movements have become much more regular than when he took accutane(1st month). And sorry it's not accutane but the generic version of accutane in the states. 

While coming up with our own action plan initially our first  theory we was that the accutane was every where in his body and it needed to find a type of food while digesting to bind to while excreting it from his body. This seemed logical because he started to have more regular bowel movements, but he started to notice that his body doesn't seem to be absorbing the tremendous amounts of water hes been drinking.

Results so far:  There were two days out of the 2 month period where he said his eyes were burning, but recently he says that his eyes have felt like they're getting better. As mentioned, his bowel movements have become much more regular.  However, we do continue to go through these mood phases  "confident it will leave", to the initial mood type of "depressive anxiety, and the biggest is anger". I almost feel like he cannot get past a mental block. 

So far i've reached out to everyone locally, a handful of derms all of which said that accutane side effects only have a two week half life and should leave the body soon(yikes they have no idea about how many patients are going through this) I'm considering speaking to oncology department to see if they can provide me with more insight (perhaps suggestions about what onocology patients do to recover from cancer treatment). I've reached out to a doctor that claims fasting will work but very dangerous(we're against this). Lastly, I found someone named Lewis Rowlands in the UK who has experienced the same symptoms my brother has gone through and claims to be fully recovered and reverted his symptoms. So we've gone forward with his strategy of providing a hair analysis and will circle back with an action plan. 

Lastly, after seeing videos and doing research, I did suggest to the natural path if zinc would be good for him and 4 days after taking the multi vitamin with zinc he mentioned that his eyes felt better. Not sure if that's a direct correlation, but im playing with a theory that his mineral levels are all off and the slightest vitamin % adjustments could be that much more effective. Some how acupuncture seems to be effective I just can't figure out how. One of the pain management providers I spoke with told me that he had a patient that had permanent nerve damage, sought out a acupuncturist in china that was able to heal  him 100% whole. 

My goal is to document as much of this process as I can and to share my brothers experience and story with as many people considering this drug because the numbers published are simply skewed when it comes to side effects.  I browse reddit to see all these people with success before/after photos but internally i hope theyknow they might be paying for it years later. Is that really worth it? Quality of life will suffer dramatically.  

Looking forward to the feedback and support! 

Update: We've found another natural path that has a different approach to the previous natural path. We will still treat this holistically as a systemic problem however, we will first focus on complete detox of the liver and then address individual issues(eyes) after the liver has been completely detoxed. She has also got him using Taurine. He will also be getting his Zinc, Copper, T3, Cortisol, DHE and testosterone levels checked with blood work.  

Thank you FCHAWK for writing a detailed summary i've been eager to hear your feedback.

Can you provide the research please? I'm interested in this as well. 
Your in good hands with FCHAWK. Keep going with natural.

Please report your sides.

There is a team of lawyers in the US who I believe want  to hear from guys in the  US so if anyone wants their details PM me.

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2018 at 4:43 AM, marshl1 said:

@Ákos Im really sorry to hear about the condition of your eyes and a lot of what you say sounds very familiar to me. Like I said for a long time I blamed the LASIK procedure for my symptoms. Having surgery on your eyes is a very unnatural thing and the psychological impact of this was huge for me since my eyes never felt healthy post surgery. That said it was explained to me many times that this surgery takes place on the outer surface of the eye only. Vitreous floaters occur inside the eyeball which isn't effected by LASIK.   
Because i've had this surgery my eyes have been observed extensively by professionals. I was followed up many times and I have paid for second and third opinions by several ophthalmologists in London UK where I live. I don't believe my floaters were caused by the surgery.
Dryness is more common after LASIK but people rarely get photophobia especially long lasting photophobia.
I had some dryness even before I had the surgery or took accutane just simply from wearing contact lenses but I never had photophobia. This dryness never bothered me. 
Anyway i'll try and make some meaningful point about this. I believe that Accutane just like high dose vitamin A is extremely damaging for the eyes and I believe it damaged my eyes.
There is a huge point of contention which in my opinion is central to this Accutane side effect debate and it is to do with vitamin A. 99.9% of people will tell you that vitamin A is essential to life and essential for eye health. After reading the research of Grant Genereux I think this is completely false. I highly recommend you read his ebooks.
A quick example concerning the eyes and vitamin A (btw once in the body vitamin A is converted to retinoic acid a molecule very similar to 13-cis-retinoic acid which is accutane, it makes sense to me that they work in a very similar way to poison the body), in the medical literature the symptoms of chronic hypervitaminosis A and vitamin A deficiency are the same, how can that be?
I have many of the symptoms of chronic hypervitaminosis A from taking Accutane and my eye symptoms are just some of them. Accutane took my body to dangerous levels of toxicity and by continuing to consume Vitamin A I have been maintaining these dangerous levels which explains why a lot of my symptoms are relapsing - remitting (they come and go).
The current research on vitamin A says that it is essential to eye health but my it was a retinoid that caused the damage to my eyes in the first place. The point is that I shouldn't be able to remove this from my diet without this causing some further damage to my eyes if you believe the current research but I have massively reduced my vitamin A consumption over the last 6 weeks and i am absolutely fine. Grant Genereux has been on a zero vitamin A diet for 4 years and his eyes are perfectly healthy. In fact this zero vitamin A diet has resolved many very serious health issues that he was suffering from. He has also carried this experiment out on his pet rats who's eyes look in perfect health, shiny and moist. He also uses photographs of survivors from the Dachau concentration camp to make the same point. These poor people are obviously extremely emaciated. They have consumed zero vitamin A but you can see that there eyes are also in perfect health. There eyes are showing no signs of so called Vitamin A deficiency. How can this be the case if Vitamin A is essential to eye health?
Anyway I think I've made my point.
I feel your pain and I genuinely want to help. What is life without healthy eyes. If you believe Accutane caused this damage to your eyes then I believe avoiding vitamin A will go a long way to allowing your eyes to heal.
You should also get your meibomian glands checked for blockages. Don't take fish oil it's extremely high in vitamin A. A hot wet cloth compression for 5 mins in the morning whilst deep breathing can help. I actually have some rather expensive steam eye goggles which i've only used a couple of times. It's called Blephasteam. If you think it will help you and you want it you can have it. Just let me know and i'll see if I can send it to you.
Sorry this post wasn't supposed to be so long but I can't stand to see people suffering if I think I can help.

All the best,
Lee

@marshl1Hi. I am sorry, I was not clear enough. When, at the beginning, I said “eye problems” I was talking about dryness principally. I don’t know about eye floaters. I you didn’t have them before Accutane, most probably they were caused by it. Can’t you get habituated to them? Just be careful not to do any invasive and risky treatment which can have adverse effects, you have already done it twice.

I may be wrong, but what I learned about dry eyes is that it usually develops gradually and could have several causes, and these causes have a cumulative effect. I you had dry eyes before everything, then Lasik could have dried them a bit more, and then Accutane could have dried them a bit more. I am sure a lot of people after Accutane dry a bit their eyes, but they don’t realize because, for example, they don’t use contact lenses. And some of them can have dry eye problems some years later, because the dryness progresses.

About photophobia and the relationship with dry eye, I already wrote my doubts. I don’t know what Accutane could do to produce this specific photophobia, which seems to be “superficial” (I mean, caused by something closer than the optic nerve), not like the photophobia that people with migraines have, or the one arisen from a problem with the optic nerve, which are stronger and different.

So there is a possibility that Accutane can only dry the eye, but not produce the photophobia by itself. Being dry, the eye is more weak and prone to have further problems, as happen with other parts of the body that Accutane could affect. For example, being dry, eyes could more easily get “strained” because of the computer or the sunlight, or cause the currently called “computer vision syndrome”. I am just speculating too much in my opinion. The only way to discard my theory about a non-clinically-visible “eye strain” is to try the Radical Rest. Of course, it could also be a chronic, non-reversible “eye strain”.

But… you said in other more recent post that your photophobia got better recently… that’s good! You tell me… Did you do something special? Did your dryness get better too, proportionally? Do you work a lot with the computer?

About compresses, to be honest, I never did them too systematically, maybe because I didn’t notice any interesting effect. Taking a shower usually improves dryness temporally, better than a compress. I don’t have a microwave to try dry compresses, with these pads you buy. Don’t you use the Blephasteam? I guess it is not so useful…? Please have it yourself, or sell it on Ebay. I really appreciate your help, thank you!

In my city, at least with my prepaid medical system, I can’t get a meibography. And the doctors I consulted said it is not too useful, at least in my case. The thing is, imagine the problem is mainly with the lipid layer and the meiboniam glands (I don’t know for sure it is about this), and these glands are affected in the way than the sebaceous glands of the face are, probably they have a more or less normal aspect, or they are a bit atrophied, or with this “bigger or lower cell differentiation” or whatever, but surely with less lipid output, what can I do? It is not that they are blocked, or inflamed (I used Restasis, and a corticoid, totally in vain), only that they produce fewer lipids. By the way, Restasis doesn’t seem dangerous, but it seems to be another big over-prescribed scam of the pharma-medical industry, taking advantage of vulnerable people.

Did you get a differential diagnosis about your dry eyes? Did they tell you MGD or you also have aqueous deficiency? Do you have reduced goblet cell population in the conjunctiva? (I do have, which I suspect is normal in any dry eye, and Lactoferrin and Lysozyme are low, which would indicate diminished aqueous layer)

@marshl1I read the first three chapters of “Poisoning for profits”, and also chapter 6, the one where he talks about POW’s prisoners.

I should continue reading, but I think it is interesting. I am sure this kind of logical nonsense is very common in the scientific world. What is particular in this analysis is that what he criticizes is not small, it is not about a particular practice or drug, but about a huge and massive misunderstanding, in the sense that it has to do with a lot of health problems but also with the whole industry of food.

What I can say for the moment is that Vit A deficiency, as it was described, seems to be a myth, and I get where he is going with his critic of Vit A supplementation, creams with Vit A, etc. And this is just the beginning, I will continue reading it. I still haven’t read the explanation of how the Vit A deficiency experiments were in fact “high RA experiments”.

Regarding our particular issue with Accutane… Does the author propose somewhere the zero VA diet for post-Accutane sufferers? It makes sense that not consuming vit A would help the body to “regenerate” or “cure”, if the retinoic acid is in the body, or maybe even if RA is not “in the body”, but merely changed things when it was in the body. But especially in the first case. In principle, not consuming Vit A would have no risks, but I don’t know if it is necessary for something (does he talk about the retina?)

There is a possibility that once certain parts of the body change, they couldn’t return to the “original” state. The path is not the same. And the paths could be different for the different parts affected. I haven’t studied the topic too much, but I read about people who said “after 5 or 6 years all the side effects have disappeared”, but also ”after 10 years sebum and acne returned as before, but now I have dry eyes and Rheumatoid Arthritis”. So I don’t know.

I asked a couple of questions before, in page 631, which nobody answered. These:

On 6/18/2018 at 12:10 AM, Ákos said:

How an over-accumulation of vitamin A could be the cause of acne and prevent acne (Accutane)? Aren’t those two affirmations contradictory?

I suppose a blood test measures the quantity of VA in the blood? But is there a way to measure VA/RA “in the skin lipids”?

The first one I could answer myself. Yes, it is a contradiction.

And about the second. What are those “skin lipids” exactly? I guess it is not sebum, which it is produce and then it goes continually. Is he talking about certain lipids that are less renewable? Can’t we analyze these lipids?

Another thing is that current ophthalmologists, when you have dry eyes, don’t talk about vit A deficiency. If some of them send you to do a blood test for retinol is very uncommon, and they do it just to follow the manual. But current dry eye manual talks about a lot of possible causes, vit A deficiency among them, which I guess is never confirmed as the real cause. And probably a lot of doctors don’t really care about the cause, they give you lubricants, or they hurry to prescribe Restasis, without even knowing if there is inflammation. And even in the cases of a suspected ”inflammation”, Allergan itself admits it is like 10% effective, so you can imagine. Moreover, in those 10% who reported improvements, Allergan itself admits it could not be the cyclosporine, but just the vehicle (the rest of the components, like castor oil). That is why Allergan withdrew Endura UD from the market (it had another name in USA), which has basically the same components without the cyclosporine, at least in certain places. And by the way, Endura UD burns like hell.

I am sorry, but I think I wrote more than you.

Edited by Ákos

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2018 at 4:47 AM, Benjamin94 said:

To those saying that I don’t know what I’m doing taking this. I have acne all over my chest, back, shoulders and forearms. I watched it spread for years and didnt ask to take this drug, because I knew what this drug was. Only when Iit spread onto my forearms did I finally give up. 

To those who wrote this:

Your doctor just wrote “Accutane” in a piece of paper, but YOU are taking it.

There is a chance than next year you will remember me, when the “temporal” effect of Accutane ends and your acne returns. Or, if you manage to get a “permanent” effect on sebum production, you will remember me some day in the future, when you experience some strange effects, mixed up with your depression.

I guess you have already decided how much “temporal” or “permanent” you want the effect to be, and what exact dose you have to take to achieve that result.

Good luck with the experiment!

On 6/30/2018 at 4:02 PM, Jason3 said:

As I said before, isotretinoin doing damage to some while they are taking it is the only plausible explanation in my mind. Hypervitaminosis A stops after you stop taking the retinoid. It doesn’t stay with you forever, stored in your fat or whatever else. I just had a Retinol test last week for fun as part of my annual nutrition testing and I was middle of the range normal. 

Retinoids bind to RXR and can “switch things on and off” potentially affecting the genome which in turn can make these side effects “permanent”. That is what stays with you for the rest of your life, not the drug or some bacteria. 

@Jason3 But the effect of Accutane is temporal, or at least “temporal”. That is how the drug and the treatment were designed to be. Roche itself says that sebum production returns to its original level one month after the last pill.

When sebum don’t return to its original level, it seems that a kind of threshold is surpassed (a threshold related to the dose and the particular patient).

So, when the threshold is surpassed, there is a quantitative difference, not a qualitative one.

According to your theory, what is exactly this threshold about? In other words, what is it affected, which depends on the accumulated quantity of retinoic acid, that allegedly change this expression of genes “permanently”, and not “temporarily”, as it should be?

Edited by Ákos

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2018 at 3:17 PM, Dubya_B said:

alteration of conjunctival flora

Accutane.
alteration of skin flora
probably including alteration of scalp flora
alteration of sinus flora, including ears, nose, throat
probably alteration in GI tract, including colon.

This is a study id be concerned about.
Even on low dose.
see how this is from 2018?
Trust a drug from the seventies?

Low-dose isotretinoin therapy and blood lipid abnormality: A case series with sixty patients.

Sarkar T, Sarkar S, Patra A.

J Family Med Prim Care. 2018 Jan-Feb;7(1):171-174. doi: 10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_104_16.

The Future of Vascular Biology and Medicine | Circulation

circ.ahajournals.org/content/133/25/2603
by S Kinlay - ‎2016 - ‎Cited by 8 - ‎Related articles
Jun 21, 2016 - During the past several decades, landmark discoveries in the field of vascular biologyhave evolved our understanding of the biology of blood ...

Edited by guitarman01

Posted

I've been getting really bad cramps anytime i take vitamin d or eat calcium rich foods so I stopped both.  I imagine theres some imbalance in regulating calcium so I tried taking vitamin k.  K2 makes me feel awful amd 2 caps of k1 does the same.  I feel tired, lethargic amd sluggish but k1 dramatically improves my skin.

Anyone have any theories why I react so poorly to vitamin K and what the hell is up with these cramps?!  I take plenty of mag and potassium already..