Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Posted
10 hours ago, Ákos said:

@marshl1Did you have dry eye and photophobia during the intake or after it? If it is the latter, how much later did you notice the symptoms?

How is your photophobia? Just the sunlight or you have problems with computer screens and TVs?
 


@TrueJustice 

How is your photophobia? Just the sunlight or you have problems with computer screens and TVs?

Do you also have dry eyes? Other eye physical symptoms?

@marshl1 and @TrueJustice 

I found out that I have eye floaters when I began feeling the photophobia and the dry eye symptoms, just because I was more conscious about my eyes. And I noticed them when I saw a white surface. That is the only way I can see them, they never bother me. I think eye floaters are very common, I couldn’t say they were caused by Accutane, probably not.

How do you know yours were caused by Accutane? Are they obvious and you didn’t see them before Accutane? 


@Benjamin94 Are you taking Accutane NOW?


My vitreous floaters appeared after I took accutane for a second time. I only ever took low dose.
I also had LASIK and for a long time I put my eye symptoms down to that. Now i'm pretty sure it was accutane.

Both eyes are filled with floaters, I know they won't get better but i've looked into the possibility of a Floaters Only Vitrectomy in the US to have them removed. The photophobia occurs mainly when looking at tv or computer screens. The floaters are more bothersome outside. My eyes have been extremely dry and i've suffered headaches and sinus issues for the last 4 years.

That said im doing a lot better lately. The floaters aren't going anywhere but they are bothering me less.

Lee

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Removed by author.

Edited by Deleted Account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
@DevolutionI’m sorry that I’ve upset you. It wasn’t my intention. The problem with the internet is that it can only communicate words, rather than delivery and manner. 

I am not a massive fan of psychotropic drugs and I acknowledge that sexual dysfunction is a classic side effect of SSRIs and is particularly upsetting for men. Sertraline is the softest of them as well, so its a shame that it effected you so badly. 

People dont talk about mental health. Its a taboo subject. But Depression is so common. 25% of GP appointments are people going about mental health or psychosomatic problems. People hide it and hide it well, but it is real and we’re not great at treating it.

I have Depression also and I have Chronic Functional Diarrhoea (a Functional GI Disorder - Functional is another word for psychosomatic). My GI issues get worse every time my mental health gets worse. I had these long before I started taking accutane, but my Depression has exacerbated whilst on Accutane. I have never taken SSRIs and I hope that it never gets bad enough that I need to. I personally would only take them if i was depressed to the extent that I was suicidal. Something that I find very helpful for Depression is going to saunas, spa pools, steams rooms, swimming, etc. These are usually quite cheap as well. I would really advise you try them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2018 at 5:40 PM, Benjamin94 said:

 

Removed by author.

Edited by Deleted Account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Post Removed 

Edited by Devolution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
@marshl1 

LASIK and Accutane… both could be the culprit of your eyes problems. Maybe a combination of both. But probably LASIK had nothing to do, as you noted.

So… the sunlight doesn’t bother you too much? That is curious. I mean, the fact that computer screens bother you and not the sun. You don’t use dark glasses outside?

It seems that your eyes are drier than mine, but with less photophobia. This is something I still don’t understand completely. Photophobia is not proportional to eye dryness, not at all. In fact, most people with dry eyes don’t have photophobia, even the worst cases. But, inversely, according to an article I read, dry eye is the most common cause of photophobia. The fact is that medicine science is clueless about this topic, and they admit it. There must something that is not being considered that should explain photophobia.

It is not impossible that photophobia is caused merely by eye strain, added to dryness. To find out this, I should rest radically my eyes for some weeks, without using the computer not for a single minute, to see if I notice a cumulative improving in the long term. But maybe photophobia is present when there is a specific problem with the lipid layer, not the aqueous one, or with the mucin one. Or it is about some other particularity we don’t know yet.

I use dark glasses outside, and I was not able to look normally at screens anymore. I reduce the contrast and brightness, I configure Windows to change the white backgrounds for black ones, I use a software orange tint (Windows 10 have one incorporated), I use dark glasses, not too dark, just a bit…  And when I am at home and must use the computer for more than half an hour or watch a movie, I see the image projected with an HD projector, which obviously is more expensive, and I have to change the lamp when it is burned. But, well… right now, I couldn’t live without a projector, dark glasses, a lubricant gel for my eyes and a lot of patience and discomfort tolerance.

@TrueJusticeThanks for the reply.
Maybe your sunlight sensitivity is a consequence of your mild dry eyes. Take care of your eyes, don’t strain them too much, be careful with direct wind in your eyes, don’t take drugs that might dry them, etc.
 

19 hours ago, Benjamin94 said:

But modern medicine did get rid of your acne. Accutane does work. 

 

I guess you are a medical student. Will you be a Dermatologist?

Are you really taking Accutane? With all due respect, unless you have a very good reason to do so, I would say that you are confused, or you don’t exactly know how the drug works, even if you think you do. This doesn’t surprise me, considering that most doctors and people who take it don’t know either.

Edited by Ákos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
On 27/06/2018 at 1:15 AM, 278Paulina said:

Sorry for not posting it earlier. Here is the link. Take a look at the last 2 posts. I also registered to the forum linked in the posts and I found that one person followed the regime and saw some good results. I'm also wondering, due to hormonal differences between sexes, if there is a chance that it might work for women too. Please share any thoughts. 


Anyone know much about “Sodium Butyrate”??

just another supplement? and why would this guy choose it? not sure if anyone can shed some light here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
@Devolution EDS is a genetic condition which you’re born with and some forms are extremely dangerous. They do have incredibly stretchy skin and hypermobile joints. If you do have hypermobile joints and are concerned - you should talk to your doctor.

The tummy lines are normal. Everyone gets those.

On your hand - you have eczema. Have you tried a moisturizer? Shop around - try different ones - until you find one that works.

Fun Fact - Severe Recalcitrant Hand Eczema can be treated with one of Accutane s less famous brothers called Alitretinoin (a joke - yours is no where near severe enough for this).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2018 at 6:45 PM, Benjamin94 said:

 

Removed by author.

Edited by Deleted Account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
On 6/27/2018 at 9:33 PM, Dubya_B said:
Hi Benjamin.

Not sure if you are aware of this, but Accutane has been shown to decrease mRNA expression and metabolic activity of the 5-alpha reductase enzyme. This enzyme produces neurological steroids that are vital in maintaining both mood and sexual appetite.

Nearly all categories of depression are associated with lowered neurosteroid levels and one of these, allopregnanolone, is currently in clinical trials to treat severe postpartum depression.

So, I have to argue that it is better explained as an altered neurological biochemistry than psychosomatic. That's just a fighting word around these parts.


There are also many who experience severe ED after Accutane with no comorbid depression.
If you really want tangible evidence of Accutane causing bodily harm, then try cross-referencing information on isotretinoin and carotid artery thickening, decreased ovarian reserve, premature epiphyseal closure, rhabdomyelosis, thyroid gland atrophy, and meibomian gland destruction. Pretty solid stuff.

btw- Carotid artery thickening is a sign of atherosclerosis, which is strongly associated with ED. Maybe that's why I also had high blood pressure at 18 years old, after taking Accutane?

.
Dubya - Ben's actually on Accutane at the moment. Not digging him out but I don't think he knows what he is letting himself in for yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2018 at 10:13 PM, hatetane said:
On 6/27/2018 at 9:33 PM, Dubya_B said:
 

 

Removed by author.

Edited by Deleted Account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2018 at 10:15 PM, hatetane said:

 

Removed by author.

Edited by Deleted Account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2018 at 6:04 PM, Benjamin94 said:

Hi Dubya

Whilst Premature Epiphyseal Plate Closure and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction are at present recognised side effects.

Carotid Artery Stenosis, Rhabdomyolysis and Thyroid Disease are not. 

Most cases of Hypertension are at present idiopathic (i.e. we still don’t know what goes wrong). Many doctors speculate its a problem with autonomic control of vasomotor tone. So again we’re back at a problem with CNS functioning. 

Hypertensive at 18 definately requires investigation for secondary causes however, which I hope you’ve had.

I havn’t read studies about Isotretinoin and 5-AR, but that certainly sounds a plausible theory for how it could lead to Depression (i.e. through down regulation of 5-AR within the brain, leading to decreased DHT synthesis within the brain). I also accept your point that reduced DHT synthesis within the brain could directly reduce libido independently of it causing depression. I respect this as a decent theory. We’ll see if it leads anywhere over the next 10 years.
 


Recognized side effects according to whom? Who or what decides this? Would you refuse to report an adverse reaction because it is not a recognized side effect?

If  a patient sought your help during, or soon after, a course of Accutane with complaints of weakness, fatigue, and muscle pains, would you refuse to report this despite prospective longitudinal studies showing extremely elevated creatine kinase levels in many patients during treatment, simply because myopathies are not recognized?

Apply the same theme to an Accutane patient in your care with fatigue and elevated TSH, or who suddenly developed hypertension after initiating treatment.

Just making a point.


From my perspective: I had no symptoms of ill health prior to Accutane with the exception of seasonal colds and flus. Start Accutane and start to feel as if I was being poisoned within the first 2 weeks, including back pains, fatigue, shitting blood for the first and only time in my life, mild depression, a sensation of overheating, and lowered libido. Stop the drug and feel better after a few months. Start a second course and begin to feel as if I am being poisoned in the same way. Stop, begin to feel better again, then BAM! A few weeks later went back to feeling poisoned and went through what I can only liken to descriptions of extreme menopausal symptoms, with night sweats, hot flashes, loss of feeling in my penis and total impotence, cracking joints and horrid muscle pains, falling-asleep-standing fatigue, and total loss of positive and negative emotion.

The worst of this occurred as I watched my acne almost completely clear over a couple weeks.

...And around 50 doctor visits later, and probably $100,000 worth of tests (Around $10k-$15k out of pocket).... Absolutely nothing is wrong except idiopathic hypertension and some "lowish" testosterone levels that resolved over time. Limiting salt to < 2,000 mg/day keeps me in pre-hypertensive range, but doesn't explain why this suddenly developed.

Challenge, rechallenge, and permanent side effects.

We are told the mechanism of action is unknown, yet told adverse reactions are not caused by the drug because there is not a clear pathology.



 
5 hours ago, Devolution said:
Yeah that's pretty much what i got told, nothing is permenant etc etc :(

How long are you post accutane @hatetane

You forgot about the benefits! The benefits of Accutane can be permanent, any adverse effect cannot be. Makes sense.


  Edited by Dubya_B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
On 6/29/2018 at 5:58 AM, Ákos said:
@marshl1 

LASIK and Accutane… both could be the culprit of your eyes problems. Maybe a combination of both. But probably LASIK had nothing to do, as you noted.

So… the sunlight doesn’t bother you too much? That is curious. I mean, the fact that computer screens bother you and not the sun. You don’t use dark glasses outside?

It seems that your eyes are drier than mine, but with less photophobia. This is something I still don’t understand completely. Photophobia is not proportional to eye dryness, not at all. In fact, most people with dry eyes don’t have photophobia, even the worst cases. But, inversely, according to an article I read, dry eye is the most common cause of photophobia. The fact is that medicine science is clueless about this topic, and they admit it. There must something that is not being considered that should explain photophobia.

It is not impossible that photophobia is caused merely by eye strain, added to dryness. To find out this, I should rest radically my eyes for some weeks, without using the computer not for a single minute, to see if I notice a cumulative improving in the long term. But maybe photophobia is present when there is a specific problem with the lipid layer, not the aqueous one, or with the mucin one. Or it is about some other particularity we don’t know yet.

I use dark glasses outside, and I was not able to look normally at screens anymore. I reduce the contrast and brightness, I configure Windows to change the white backgrounds for black ones, I use a software orange tint (Windows 10 have one incorporated), I use dark glasses, not too dark, just a bit…  And when I am at home and must use the computer for more than half an hour or watch a movie, I see the image projected with an HD projector, which obviously is more expensive, and I have to change the lamp when it is burned. But, well… right now, I couldn’t live without a projector, dark glasses, a lubricant gel for my eyes and a lot of patience and discomfort tolerance.

@TrueJusticeThanks for the reply.
Maybe your sunlight sensitivity is a consequence of your mild dry eyes. Take care of your eyes, don’t strain them too much, be careful with direct wind in your eyes, don’t take drugs that might dry them, etc.
 

 

I guess you are a medical student. Will you be a Dermatologist?

Are you really taking Accutane? With all due respect, unless you have a very good reason to do so, I would say that you are confused, or you don’t exactly know how the drug works, even if you think you do. This doesn’t surprise me, considering that most doctors and people who take it don’t know either.


@Ákos Im really sorry to hear about the condition of your eyes and a lot of what you say sounds very familiar to me. Like I said for a long time I blamed the LASIK procedure for my symptoms. Having surgery on your eyes is a very unnatural thing and the psychological impact of this was huge for me since my eyes never felt healthy post surgery. That said it was explained to me many times that this surgery takes place on the outer surface of the eye only. Vitreous floaters occur inside the eyeball which isn't effected by LASIK.   
Because i've had this surgery my eyes have been observed extensively by professionals. I was followed up many times and I have paid for second and third opinions by several ophthalmologists in London UK where I live. I don't believe my floaters were caused by the surgery.
Dryness is more common after LASIK but people rarely get photophobia especially long lasting photophobia.
I had some dryness even before I had the surgery or took accutane just simply from wearing contact lenses but I never had photophobia. This dryness never bothered me. 
Anyway i'll try and make some meaningful point about this. I believe that Accutane just like high dose vitamin A is extremely damaging for the eyes and I believe it damaged my eyes.
There is a huge point of contention which in my opinion is central to this Accutane side effect debate and it is to do with vitamin A. 99.9% of people will tell you that vitamin A is essential to life and essential for eye health. After reading the research of Grant Genereux I think this is completely false. I highly recommend you read his ebooks.
A quick example concerning the eyes and vitamin A (btw once in the body vitamin A is converted to retinoic acid a molecule very similar to 13-cis-retinoic acid which is accutane, it makes sense to me that they work in a very similar way to poison the body), in the medical literature the symptoms of chronic hypervitaminosis A and vitamin A deficiency are the same, how can that be?
I have many of the symptoms of chronic hypervitaminosis A from taking Accutane and my eye symptoms are just some of them. Accutane took my body to dangerous levels of toxicity and by continuing to consume Vitamin A I have been maintaining these dangerous levels which explains why a lot of my symptoms are relapsing - remitting (they come and go).
The current research on vitamin A says that it is essential to eye health but my it was a retinoid that caused the damage to my eyes in the first place. The point is that I shouldn't be able to remove this from my diet without this causing some further damage to my eyes if you believe the current research but I have massively reduced my vitamin A consumption over the last 6 weeks and i am absolutely fine. Grant Genereux has been on a zero vitamin A diet for 4 years and his eyes are perfectly healthy. In fact this zero vitamin A diet has resolved many very serious health issues that he was suffering from. He has also carried this experiment out on his pet rats who's eyes look in perfect health, shiny and moist. He also uses photographs of survivors from the Dachau concentration camp to make the same point. These poor people are obviously extremely emaciated. They have consumed zero vitamin A but you can see that there eyes are also in perfect health. There eyes are showing no signs of so called Vitamin A deficiency. How can this be the case if Vitamin A is essential to eye health?
Anyway I think I've made my point.
I feel your pain and I genuinely want to help. What is life without healthy eyes. If you believe Accutane caused this damage to your eyes then I believe avoiding vitamin A will go a long way to allowing your eyes to heal.
You should also get your meibomian glands checked for blockages. Don't take fish oil it's extremely high in vitamin A. A hot wet cloth compression for 5 mins in the morning whilst deep breathing can help. I actually have some rather expensive steam eye goggles which i've only used a couple of times. It's called Blephasteam. If you think it will help you and you want it you can have it. Just let me know and i'll see if I can send it to you.
Sorry this post wasn't supposed to be so long but I can't stand to see people suffering if I think I can help.

All the best,
Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
5 hours ago, Dubya_B said:
From my perspective: I had no symptoms of ill health prior to Accutane with the exception of seasonal colds and flus. 

But you did have severe acne, so your health wasn’t perfect before taking this drug. I say this to you just to prove the point that your body isnt infallible - it can break without accutane.

My source for recognized side effects is the BNF. If you google BNF, open the first link and then you can search for whichever drug you want to look up.

I’ve never and will never say that your symptoms are not real. 

To those saying that I don’t know what I’m doing taking this. I have acne all over my chest, back, shoulders and forearms. I watched it spread for years and didnt ask to take this drug, because I knew what this drug was. Only when Iit spread onto my forearms did I finally give up. 

Its brothers Tretinoin and Bexarotene are used to treat APML and Cutaneous Lymphoma respectively. Believe me I do not underestimate Isotretinoin as a drug. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2018 at 8:47 AM, Benjamin94 said:

 

Removed by author.

Edited by Deleted Account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
51 minutes ago, marshl1 said:

@Ákos Im really sorry to hear about the condition of your eyes and a lot of what you say sounds very familiar to me. Like I said for a long time I blamed the LASIK procedure for my symptoms. Having surgery on your eyes is a very unnatural thing and the psychological impact of this was huge for me since my eyes never felt healthy post surgery. That said it was explained to me many times that this surgery takes place on the outer surface of the eye only. Vitreous floaters occur inside the eyeball which isn't effected by LASIK.   
Because i've had this surgery my eyes have been observed extensively by professionals. I was followed up many times and I have paid for second and third opinions by several ophthalmologists in London UK where I live. I don't believe my floaters were caused by the surgery.
Dryness is more common after LASIK but people rarely get photophobia especially long lasting photophobia.
I had some dryness even before I had the surgery or took accutane just simply from wearing contact lenses but I never had photophobia. This dryness never bothered me. 
Anyway i'll try and make some meaningful point about this. I believe that Accutane just like high dose vitamin A is extremely damaging for the eyes and I believe it damaged my eyes.
There is a huge point of contention which in my opinion is central to this Accutane side effect debate and it is to do with vitamin A. 99.9% of people will tell you that vitamin A is essential to life and essential for eye health. After reading the research of Grant Genereux I think this is completely false. I highly recommend you read his ebooks.
A quick example concerning the eyes and vitamin A (btw once in the body vitamin A is converted to retinoic acid a molecule very similar to 13-cis-retinoic acid which is accutane, it makes sense to me that they work in a very similar way to poison the body), in the medical literature the symptoms of chronic hypervitaminosis A and vitamin A deficiency are the same, how can that be?
I have many of the symptoms of chronic hypervitaminosis A from taking Accutane and my eye symptoms are just some of them. Accutane took my body to dangerous levels of toxicity and by continuing to consume Vitamin A I have been maintaining these dangerous levels which explains why a lot of my symptoms are relapsing - remitting (they come and go).
The current research on vitamin A says that it is essential to eye health but my it was a retinoid that caused the damage to my eyes in the first place. The point is that I shouldn't be able to remove this from my diet without this causing some further damage to my eyes if you believe the current research but I have massively reduced my vitamin A consumption over the last 6 weeks and i am absolutely fine. Grant Genereux has been on a zero vitamin A diet for 4 years and his eyes are perfectly healthy. In fact this zero vitamin A diet has resolved many very serious health issues that he was suffering from. He has also carried this experiment out on his pet rats who's eyes look in perfect health, shiny and moist. He also uses photographs of survivors from the Dachau concentration camp to make the same point. These poor people are obviously extremely emaciated. They have consumed zero vitamin A but you can see that there eyes are also in perfect health. There eyes are showing no signs of so called Vitamin A deficiency. How can this be the case if Vitamin A is essential to eye health?
Anyway I think I've made my point.
I feel your pain and I genuinely want to help. What is life without healthy eyes. If you believe Accutane caused this damage to your eyes then I believe avoiding vitamin A will go a long way to allowing your eyes to heal.
You should also get your meibomian glands checked for blockages. Don't take fish oil it's extremely high in vitamin A. A hot wet cloth compression for 5 mins in the morning whilst deep breathing can help. I actually have some rather expensive steam eye goggles which i've only used a couple of times. It's called Blephasteam. If you think it will help you and you want it you can have it. Just let me know and i'll see if I can send it to you.
Sorry this post wasn't supposed to be so long but I can't stand to see people suffering if I think I can help.

All the best,
Lee

What meat do you need to avoid on the anti Vit A diet?

I know about all the fruit and Veg containing Vit A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
2 hours ago, TrueJustice said:

What meat do you need to avoid on the anti Vit A diet?

I know about all the fruit and Veg containing Vit A

Obvious things to avoid are liver and organ meats and fish etc. This idea is breaking new ground. There isn't a diet plan or much information out there at the moment. I look up the vitamin A content of pretty much everything I eat, it's not easy and it's not fun. There are other people ie. nutritionists looking into this research and aiming to devise a diet plan. Grant Generaux eats an extremely limited diet. He only eats beef and venison, rice, cauliflower and a couple of other things. He claims this diet provides him with enough nutrition and close to zero vitamin A. I couldn't eat a diet thats so limited so I do my best. I've definitely felt a lot of the fatigue I was suffering from lift along with the brain fog. My eyes bother me less and im out running a lot without much joint pain. 
It's early days.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted

Fair enough 

Ever thought that it’s not Vit A toxicity, that tane just passed through us and did the damage on the way?

Ever thought that it could be genome damage that we need to look into?

Just putting these questions out there that were raised a few pages back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
25 minutes ago, TrueJustice said:

Fair enough 

Ever thought that it’s not Vit A toxicity, that tane just passed through us and did the damage on the way?

Ever thought that it could be genome damage that we need to look into?

Just putting these questions out there that were raised a few pages back.

25 minutes ago, TrueJustice said:

Fair enough 

Ever thought that it’s not Vit A toxicity, that tane just passed through us and did the damage on the way?

Ever thought that it could be genome damage that we need to look into?

Just putting these questions out there that were raised a few pages back.


I've thought about everything and tried many things. This is the theory that makes most sense to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, TrueJustice said:

Fair enough 

Ever thought that it’s not Vit A toxicity, that tane just passed through us and did the damage on the way?

Ever thought that it could be genome damage that we need to look into?

Just putting these questions out there that were raised a few pages back.

Yes to the first point. No to the second point.

As I repeatedly keep saying - you can test for Vit A toxicity. You can have your blood Vitamin A level measured. If you’re in the UK, you can check out Medichecks. If you're in another country - I’m sure the equivalent exists. 

I agree with you True Justice - It hits you whilst you take it and causes permenant changes. At the very least: reduced sebaceous output. If it was truly causing long term Vitamin A toxicity - then the teratogenic effect would be long term. But it is safe for women to get pregnant after 1 month of being off it.

As for Genome damage - what do you mean by this - mutations in the DNA? If so I strongly doubt it.

It obviously causes epigenetic changes. From what is known of the mechanism - it binds to the RXR nuclear receptor. So it changes gene expression, but actually changing the genes themselves - I doubt it. Edited by Benjamin94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted
32 minutes ago, Benjamin94 said:
Yes to the first point. No to the second point.

As I repeatedly keep saying - you can test for Vit A toxicity. You can have your blood Vitamin A level measured. If you’re in the UK, you can check out Medichecks. If you're in another country - I’m sure the equivalent exists. 

I agree with you True Justice - It hits you whilst you take it and causes permenant changes. At the very least: reduced sebaceous output. If it was truly causing long term Vitamin A toxicity - then the teratogenic effect would be long term. But it is safe for women to get pregnant after 1 month of being off it.

As for Genome damage - what do you mean by this - mutations in the DNA? If so I strongly doubt it.

It obviously causes epigenetic changes. From what is known of the mechanism - it binds to the RXR nuclear receptor. So it changes gene expression, but actually changing the genes themselves - I doubt it.

Accutane is mostly taken in massive doses for a period of at least 6 months. It's not the blood where you need to be looking it's the lipids. The way accutane works is by toxifying the lipids to such an extent that the retinoic acid then poisons the bacteria living in those lipids. So, since this accumulation process has repeated millions of times over, clearly accutane persists in the lipids for at least 6 months, or more.  Thus, the 30 hour half life is nonsense. Perhaps if we were only talking about the blood this may be true. The retinoic acid is not just poisoning the bacteria living on the skin, it is also poisoning the stem cells. 
Since we know accutane accumulates in the skin lipids for long periods of time why wouldn't it accumulate in lipids occuring elsewhere in the body?
I don't think many people agree with this sentiment here but I am a great believer in the bodies natural ability to heal itself if you give it the chance. The question is what's stopping us healing post accutane? I don't think you will find the answer to this question in the research that's out there at the moment but you keep referring to it. 
I know what makes sense to me and I know what seems to be working for me. A Vitamin A blood level test is not what I need but thanks for the suggestion.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, marshl1 said:

@Ákos . Don't take fish oil it's extremely high in vitamin A.
Lee

Cod liver oil is high in vitamin A, but regular fish oil from memory, should be very low. 

  Edited by mikez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Removed by author.

Edited by Deleted Account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a New Account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×