Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
torbosk

Differin + Bp

Ok, well, i've been using the it for 2 weeks now, and it has worked quite ok.

I have to say, my acne improved a lot because i changed my diet a bit: i've been eating less sugar (no soda's), no chocolate, no dairy products, more fruits for the last 3 months and it has certainly helped. (Not to get 100% clear).

3 weeks ago i started with differin on my chin and upper lip (mouth area)

I always get these little whiteheads there so i thought retinoid therapy was the way to go since bp doesnt help there.

I've used a lot of bp on the rest of my face. It is pretty much clear now, only some clogged pores here and there.

The chin area isnt clear yet, but differin takes a few weeks to kick in. It is definitly doing something so i hope it works out ok. It sounds good: differin helps to open up and clear your pores so it is supposed to be good for non-inflamed acne, and bp kills bacteria.

My main problem is non-inflamed acne. I get these little clogged pores which stay there forever untill a zit forms under it. But the biggest problem are those little whitheads. Anyone any advice?? Or how i can avoid irritation?

I'm gonna stop the bp now for a day or two because my face is just too flaky and red, i'm so embarrased when i have to go out.

hey torbosk, i found this article about using bp and differin together: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...9126&hl=article

(the article was posted twice so its only half as long as it looks)

i started using differin a week ago. i know its supposed to be about a month before you can see results, but i think im starting to improve allready. i squeezed out alll the clooged pores on my nose prior to starting the differin, and now the pores are not clogging up as rapidly as usual.

try not to worry so much about the redness and the flakies... people will probably just think its a sunburn, and the flakies are hardly noticeable with moisturizer on.

to reduce irritation you can try using lukewarm or cool water when washing. and make sure not to soak your face in the shower too long. also try using a gentle cleanser like "Eucerin Pore Purifying Foaming Wash"-- its the most gentle cleanser ive used and it washes off super clean (unlike cetaphil).

good luck to ya

Well, thx for the replies, you're right flipside, that was the article i read. I think you posted it somewhere else too.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000115/357.html

"Retinoids such as tretinoin (Retin-A) are the most effective comedolytic agents in use"

--> check figure 5 at 3/4 of the page , it gives the therapy for different kinds of acne

Differin is even stronger and since i mainly have "supperficial acne" like whitheads i think it is the way to go.

Right now it is a little bit worse, but i give it some more time. Its only been 3 weeks. (on my chin).

I started with the differin on my forehead yesterday. The rest of my face is pretty much clear. Although red because of the bp.

I also have two horrible red marks. Well, "wounds". I pushed really hard and messed up the skin. bb_sad.gif , will i ever learn?

Anyway, gonna go easy on my skin now for a few days and then i will build up a steady regimen of bp during the day and differin at night.

I was doing BP + differin together, but the BP was making my face red and greasy all day long, even if i used blotting sheets for the greasyness! I dropped the BP and its been about a week now and my skins just getting better! MY skin usually takes upto a week to show when somethings been withdrawn e.g. topicals or antibiotics, so hopefully the BP wasnt too important in my case, but everyones different, theres been plenty of people on here saying that differin didnt work till they added BP in the morning. Hopefully it will work for you, i've seen wonders so far!

ok, i found a 10g Crystacide for $15 (still expensive).

i also read the full study comparing Crystacide to bp and the results look good. it explained that the irritation from bp is largely due to the benzoic acid thats released.

im gonna post about this in the OTC board and see what other people think.

Well, this is one of my worst days ever. Yesterday i got so mad i started pushing and picking at my zits. But my skin is really thin because of the differin, so i got an immense red wound now (like the upper layer of my skin is scraped off). I dont know why i pick, maybe its obsessive compulsory behavior or something. I used to do it every day once or twice, now it's not that bad anymore.

My whole face is messed up right now, red spots and wounds all over. To make things worse i have to play basketball in an hour or 3. I feel so embarrassed. I would pay a lot of money so i wouldnt have to go out. I can hardly look my mother in the face. This has got to stop.

I'm gonna do things the right way starting tomorrow. I will just do my bp+differin regimen, i wont pick for two weeks, i wont come to this site for two weeks. I feel like such an idiot. I totally screwed most progress i made in two days. I hope that this will be a good lesson for me. I have to learn it once and for all.

Sorry for the wining, but i had to get that off my chest. I'm extremely anxious to go play basketball because my face is so fucked up now. But you know what? It's the last time they'll see me this way. I believe i can get at least 90% better in 12 weeks.

The best effect of differin is seen at 12 weeks, and even later. Note that that study i posted only lasts 8 weeks. So there is still improvement possible.

Oh yeah, other thought.

I think Hydrogen peroxide is more dangerous than bp.

Although they say it is stabilised, maybe it can damage your skin because of the free radicals.

I dont trust bp 100% on this too, but HP seems more dangerous.

hey torbosk, sorry to hear about your bad face day... popping a few pimples can be a good thing, but i guess we can go overboard with that sometimes. bp+differin sounds like a good regimen... just try to limit irritation as much as possible.

as for the HP cream, i dont think its more dangerous than bp, seeing as bp breaks down into hydrogen peroxide on your skin anyway... they both use free radicals to oxidize the bacteria. but i looked at the other ingredients in the HP cream and it doesnt look like a good acne product, and it costs too much money.

i plan on trying manuka honey in combo with differin at night. its supposed to slowly release hydrogen peroxide, and also kill bacteria/slow growth in other ways. ive never found a product that killed bacteria without drying or irritating the skin... hopefully, this honey will be just the stuff.

Good luck with the honey.

Oh yeah: i overreacted a bit yesterday.

I went to play basketball and i played a decent game.

My teammates probably saw my face, but i dont think anyone of them cares. smile.gif .

It was probably worse in my mind than in reality.

It was allright. I'm glad i went, i feel so much better now. After sports and a shower my skin looked MUCH better too. A lot of the redness was gone. Dont know how this comes, maybe the extra blood flow through your body, and sweating etc... smile.gif

Anyway, started again with the differin yesterday, now on chin + forehead (+a little bit on cheecks). I read that differin is much better than SA and AHA's for unplugging pores. Yay ! cool.gif .

Gonna do this every evening for a couple of days. And after that i'll start adding BP in the morning. I'm gonna be extra carefull not to overdo it because last time my face was extremely red and flaky.

I've run out of aloe vera. huh.gif . I can only buy it in a week or so. Not that it does much against acne.

Good luck everybody.

I'm also on the same combination for 2 weeks+ now, honestly my acne is still the same or maybe just a little better.

Dunno whether I should continue with this combination.....

Well, i think 2 weeks is a bit short to make an evaluation just yet.

Differin only starts helping after 6 weeks or so.

I have done differin 3 weeks on my chin, and i still break out there, but i

can see something changing. The nature of my whitheads has changed somewhat, and there are sticking a lot of "sebum plugs" out of my pores. I think that's a good sign. The filth inside is getting pushed out.

My active acne isnt that bad right now. Gonna skip on the bp like i said to spare my skin, and also to let the red marks heal faster.

I'm gonna use sebamed soap as a wash. Anybody has any experience on this? They say its anti-bacterial and has moisturizing ingredients. (ph=5,5).

Cyal.

DAY 2 :

Well, my skin looks a bit weird right now. I think its because of the soap.

Its a bit dry too, but not that dry... I dont use moisturizer now, i dont like them...

Gotta be patient. I realised that i normally don't wait long enough to see results. I always want something spectacular in a few days. But i'm gonna give this time...

Gonna let my face heal up... And then slowly add the bp...

So, i guess its soap+ differin for at least a week.

Ah, the waiting is so hard... dry.gif

And i must avoid to start picking again. Thats probably the biggest danger for me.

So far so good for 2 days. cool.gif

DAY 3

Got two big red bumps today (well they had been growing for a while already).

One on my forehead and one on my cheeck. Frustrating...

My chin is still a bit itchy. And i still don't see much progress.

The worst thing about my face right now are

the red spots.

Pfff, gotta give this time...

One year ago i would have given up already...

But now i go on to the bitter end dry.gif

Day 4 :Hm, the left side of my chin is really inflamed right now.

There are like 7-8 zits under the skin building up. Weird.

From non-inflamed acne to inflamed with differin. Yay. mad.gif

Ah, patience. Good thing is that there is very little irritation.

Waiting is hard.

Day 5 : Well, i popped the pimples on my chin. They were horrible.

After that i applied differin + bp. The bp really helped against the inflammation.

Now it all has gone down...

Still, the area is red now, and ill probably have red marks now on my chin

forever...

I had an exam today, maybe thats why it all got so inflamed....

Just did a bit of research. Seems that tazorotene is even stronger than

differin. It produces more irritation though. If you use taz once every two

days you get the same results as with differin. The study was funded by

the taz makers of course.

I dont think that you can use taz with another product, so if you use

bp+ differin maybe you get even better results. Of course, more irritation

too. I read that bp is the most effective against pustules. And retinoids are

more for comedomal acne (whiteheads + blackheads).

Gotta be patient, cyal.

Oh note this: when using retinoids only five of the normal 14 outer layers

of your skin remain in place huh.gif . Thats pretty thin. Good thing: retinoids

help to repair your DNA.

Day 6

I picked (again) yesterday. I'm feeling very guilty about this.

I'm starting to think it's obsessive compulsory or something...

Applied bp + differin afterwards.

My face is screwed up now. Redness is worse, minor flaking.

Skin looks very unhealthy and chin is still breaking out (inflamed

zits). I hate inflamed acne. Gonna go easy on my skin now for a

couple of days. (just wash + differin). Hope the redness goes away.

Positive note: cheecks and forehead are 80 % clear and remain that way.

I guess i have to wait some more.

dont pick! dont use an antibacterial soap with differin! its irritating, use something very gentle like cetaphil. i know how hard it is to keep your hands off your face, im very ocd too, but you absolutely must. put bandaids over the ends of all your fingers whenever you have the urge, it makes it too difficult! just stick with it, you will see results!

Yeah, you're right. I know you're right, but my hand's dont know it. cool.gif .

I just popped again. But it was so gross. You know those whiteheads that don't come out immediatly? Well, i pushed a bit harder and bam. Explosion. A massive root (like a solid core) came out. Followed by blood and puss. Nice.

Good job, dry.gif . Thats why i hate inflammation, it just stays there forever in my skin and builds up.

You're right about the soap, i'm gonna skip it for a while. Ah, i also found some Crystacide (HP). I'm gonna use that instead of BP, i hope that will give less irritation. My face is beet red now. Damn.

Big factor: i'm having exams right now, so maybe thats why i break out so much and i tend to pick more. I'm as stressy as a rabbit on speed.

Cyal. Godspeed.

Day 7

Active acne: all ok. Sure, i got some, but nothing dramatic. Inflammation on chin stopped, i think, or maybe its just building up again. huh.gif

The worst thing now about my face is the redness. Maybe it's worse in my mind than in reality, but i look like a red "thing". Lol. ph34r.gif

If this were ok, i'd look decent. If i wouldn't wash, but just apply the differin,

would this make a difference? Gonna use less differin too.

Damn, i cant handle differin alone, how am i gonna do combination with something else????

Cyal.

Day 8:

Redness still there.

Bougth myself some aloe vera (98%), and another moisturizer with natural ingredients (jojoba oil, aloe vera,.....) Hope that one doesnt clog pores. Redness is really annoying, the flaking too. I didnt even wash my face or put differin on yesterday. I have a small breakout because i had an exam today, but the redness is killing me.