Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mERKOdn

Mineral make up

After 7 months using BP 2.5% my skin is really starting to clear and I am doing EVERYTHING to avoid anymore breakouts. I heard about mineral make up (Bare essentials/bare minerals or something..) and not only was it reccommended for great coverage but because the minerals were actually good for your skin. However, looking over a few recent posts people are saying that the mineral make up is no good..

Can someone tell me what's wrong with mineral make up?

Merci..

After 7 months using BP 2.5% my skin is really starting to clear and I am doing EVERYTHING to avoid anymore breakouts. I heard about mineral make up (Bare essentials/bare minerals or something..) and not only was it reccommended for great coverage but because the minerals were actually good for your skin. However, looking over a few recent posts people are saying that the mineral make up is no good..

Can someone tell me what's wrong with mineral make up?

Merci..

I have friends who use and love everyday minerals. They say it has better coverage than regular makeup. Makeupalley also gives good reviews on their intensive concealer. Apparently it's better and cheaper than base essentials/minerals. I just orderd some so I can let you know how it goes in a week or two.

I heard a big part of the problem with bare minerals is the bismuth oxychloride. Some people react to it and have problems, other people don't and their skin actually gets better using bare minerals. There are brands of mineral makeup that don't contain bismuth, I'm not sure which ones, but maybe that is an option.

I can't say anything about Bare Escentuals, because I've never used it.

I do, however, LOVE Everday Minerals. I use their Semi-Matte Foundation and Multi-Intensive Light Concealer. I get terrific coverage, and it looks natural, too (unlike most liquid foundations I've tried). It never breaks me out, and my face isn't as oily when I'm wearing it.

It's also quite inexpensive. I just love Everyday Minerals, and I highly reccomend you try them.

The only minerla makeup that's been good (slash that, great) on my skin is from pinkquartzminerals, who sells on Etsy as well. Cheap, excellent coverage, no allergies, no glowy face syndrome.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Like all products, it really depends on the individual.

I think that the general consensus is to avoid make-up with bismuth oxychloride like Bare Escentuals.

Some people are allergic to mica. Some have problems with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide-- all are common ingredients in mineral make-up. Although, I think that only a handful have problems with these.

The key is to do a skin reaction test before you apply it all over your face. I usually take a clean concealor brush to pick up some of the minerals and swipe a streak along my jawline (somewhere discrete). If you are allergic to any of these ingredients, you'll definitely know at the end of the day.

Personally, I've been using mineral make-up for about 4 years without any problems. Initially I used Everyday Minerals before they reformulated their make-up. Now I'm using Silk Naturals, which I really, really love. :wub:

I've tried a few brands, and they all just look reaaally weird on me. They would go on powdery, then oily, then get cakey. And they often dried me out a lot, and left me looking oilier than when I'd wear liquid makeup.

Are you sure you aren't applying too much? you should use really, really small amounts. It should not look powdery at all. And do you have a good brush?

I also heard that it's a good idea to wash your brushes frequently. That could be a reason some people have problems.

I agree. I also think some people have issues with the look because they dont know how to apply it correctly. Lots of videos on youtube to help!

I also heard that it's a good idea to wash your brushes frequently. That could be a reason some people have problems.

I agree. I also think some people have issues with the look because they dont know how to apply it correctly. Lots of videos on youtube to help!

Yep. I definitely had to learn to apply it correctly before it really looked gorgeous.

Everyday Minerals broke me out really badly and the foundations gave me really, really painful cystic acne :( The finish was okay, the coverage good and it lasted fine too but the painful, cystic zits... eugh!

I'm now using Lauress Minimalist, which doesn't break me out but it doesn't cover much and the finish doesn't last for a long time. For some reason, it always starts looking flaky and icky in some places although it doesn't have any oil control. I use it as a finishing powder now and to cover some of the redness on my nose but that's about it. Still looking for the perfect mineral foundation :)

Wow I've never heard of someone breaking out from Everyday Minerals. I guess you just have to experiment to find one that works for you. Everyday Minerals seems to not break most people out, though.

Not all mineral cosmetics are equal, many have cheap irritating fillers. I have experiemented with many over the last few years and found the "Inika" range causes me no problems, I buy it from my local health food shop but if you google it you will find it. Inika also do a liquid mineral foundation but I have stuck with the powder form as I know it gives great coverage and is very economical as a pot lasts me about a year!

Edited by English_Rose

How is Inika compared o Everyday Minerals? I've been thinking about getting Inika but after the problems with Everyday Minerals I don't want to throw away money on products that will break me out :(

Never tried mineral make-up before,,, I'm looking for a mineral pressed powder that provides great coverage and is talc-free. I heard talc is bad for skin and can cause allergies and breakouts. What do u guys think of physicians formula?

i think justme has good points. your experience with mmu could go either way. many ppl have had reactions to bismuth oxychloride, myself included. i never broke out in a rash, but it did make my skin itchy. i've used bare minerals, and even if i didn't have a reaction, i wouldn't rec it. there are so many mmu companies that offer a better shade range and value. i've never tried silk naturals, but every person who has told me about their makeup has liked it. it also has high ratings on makeup alley. i use both liquid and mmu, but if i had to choose what works better for me, i'd say mmu. the shades are much more forgiving, it feels less heavy on the skin, and if you're using a compact, it's low maintenance. you just swirl a brush in the compact and apply.

Edited by guacohmy

To me, Physician's Formula just doesn't cut it as far as foundations go. They have a low color selection, and it just ends up looking cakey and fake on me.

Try the Jane Iredale line...........amazing mineral make up........no cheap fillers, talc and paraben free, and contains a 20 SPF! I've never been happier with my skin!

Has anyone tried Alima Pure? I'm thinking about switching from Neutrogena liquid foundation to mineral makeup, and I like that this company is cruelty-free and sells sample sizes... just wondering if anyone has tried or heard about them.

A lot of people like Meow cosmetics :) Personally, I just didn't get the hang of how to apply mineral makeup. Maybe one day. I'm not sure if it could withstand the Texas heat right now though...

I really like Lilylolo, they're a British company and available online. Samples are £1.29 each.

I've officially tried Everyday Minerals.

I LOVE it. Did not break me out at all and the coverage is, in my opinion, the best. I used to be a strict dior, clinique, smashbox, mac kinda girl when it came to foundation and concealer and wow everyday minerals is better.

Not to mention, not as many nasty chemicals that are SO bad for you!

Was using Bare Minerals on top of Bourjois Healthy Mix. Wondering if it might be making my skin worse, so I ordered LilyLolo online a few days ago. Can't wait to try it!