Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Uruk

Raised scars (dunno if that's the correct term)

Posted

I have quite a number of raised scars on my shoulders, and some on my chest. What are the options for removing these, or at least make them less visible? Does anyone know if they become smaller with time or something? Probably not, but there's no harm in asking. :)

Posted

Raised Scars are called Keloids. You might want to consider microdermabrasion to level them out.

Posted

Uruk,

Raised scars are not always Keloids.

Keloid scarring is the over production of collagen build up that can lead to very large and bulbous type scarring.

Microdermabrasion is useless against such scarring and for that matter is useless against raised scarring.

There are othe lasers to use that are aime at treating keliods and other forms of atrophic scarring.

I exactly the same location of scarring as you and have had them for 15 years.

Over the years I have tried many things including lasers and dermabrasion (not microdermabrasion) that really have not produced much greater improvement other than say 10-15%.

I am currently using copper-peptides and exfoliation serum with a good degree of success and after 7 weeks i can say the improvement is 60% on the areas that were not too bad and about 25% on the very worst affected areas.

U

Posted

Maya,

I understand that you are the moderator here.

I mean no disrespect to you but I have to say that if you are to give advice to people who are seeking help I think you should attempt to find out exactly what you are talking about.

I have had dermatologists and laser surgeons tell me in no uncertain terms that microdermabrasion is nowhere near powerful enough to affect any kind of treatment on scarring that is raised and especially Keloids.

Now don't get me wrong, I am sure your intentions are very good and that's lovely but let's just say Uruk takes your advice, gets his hopes up and spends his money and finds there is no result (which he will).

Well my point is that he should not have to go through all of that just because you gave out such advice on a whim.

Really I am sorry I had to say this but gee, you got the facts way wrong on what raised scarring is and also the treatment of microdermabrasion is way off as well so I thought as a moderator that you should know better.

And please don't get back with articles on the net or anything like that because I have had scarring on my shoudlers for many years and I think I talk through actual expericence when I say these things.

If he is to try something that might assist it could be dermabrasion but that is risky for him because it would likely lead to more severe scarring.

U

Posted

Understood.

I appreciate your opinion.

Since you have not had a microdermabrasion treatment and I have, then I think I may be better to add a little input from my personal experience.

I had a very powerful microdermabrasion treatment 2 weeks ago - one of the scars I had was raised - like a real lump - it went down by 50% after that one treatment.

Now, the success of that really amazed me.

A year ago, I had a series of 6 microdermabrasion treatments - which did nothing for my scarring.

What I have learnt since is that there are lots of different types of Microdermabrasion machines - some only cost a few hundred and others cost tens of thousands. The cheap models really do no more than light exfoliation, the more expensive machines are very effective.

Even though I am the moderator here, I have never said that I was an expert - I was just giving an opinion on my understanding. I apologise if I am not using the right terms, but to me, a raised scar has always been called a keloid.

Perhaps you could start a thread on what you know about raised scarring, I think that would be useful education for all of us.

Peace

Maya

Posted

Thanks people.

Posted
:) I went for an appointment with the derm on thursday about getting rid of my keloid scars on my chest and back. I now have an appointment this thursday at the hospital for treatment which the derm described as injecting the scars which would then flatten out. the treatment is costing £300 but if it works then its worth every penny to me. He also gave me some retinova cream for the white dimple looking spots i've had for years. Not sure if this will work but t cost £20 so might aswell give it a shot.