Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Short Version:

Chromium is an essential trace mineral, and a deficiency can result in blood sugar problems and subsequently, acne.

There are two major ways in which our body can become chromium deficient:

-Excess Refined Carbohydrates/Sugars

-Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance

Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance/Excess Refined Carbohydrates => Chromium Deficiency => Hyperglycaemia => Impaired Glucose Metabolism => Raised Blood Sugar Levels => Excess Insulin => Increased Sebum Production => Inflammation => Acne

Solution:

-Avoid wheat and gluten products as much as possible

-Avoid Refined Carbohydrates

-Supplement with 200-1000ug of Chromium per day

The Long Version (for those who want a good read):

-Both celiac disease and diabetes are major contributors to the epidemic of magnesium deficiency and chromium deficiency.

-Up to 90 percent of Americans and Canadians consume less than the minimal 50 micrograms of chromium a day. It follows that celiacs eating a normal diet would be profoundly chromium deficient.

-Chromium deficiency is associated with

-1. hyperglycemia

-2. hyperinsulinism/insulin-resistance

-3. insulin-dependent diabetes (Type 1)

-4. adult-onset diabetes (NIDDM, Type 2)

(Dangerous Grains: Why Gluten Cereal Grains May Be Hazardous To Your Health

by James Braly M.D. and Ron Hoggan M.A.)

-When sufficient levels of chromium are present, much lower amounts of insulin are required.

-Diabetes has been shown to develop as a consequence of chromium deficiency in experimental animals and in humans

-Chromium deficiency is relatively common in patience with Type II diabetes, and may impair the function of GTF, causing the uptake of glucose into cells to become less efficient. -High insulin levels also seem to increase chromium excretion.

(The New Encyclopedia of Vitamins, Minerals, Supplements and Herbs

by Nicola Reavley)

-So essentially it’s a cycle that feeds itself: if you eat too much refined carbohydrates or eat gluten and are intolerant or sensitive to it, you essentially continue to lose chromium and experience elevated blood sugar and insulin problems.

-Also, this is explains why some people cut out refined carbohydrates and gluten in an attempt to control blood sugar and cannot be cured 100% - since they are still chromium deficient their glucose metabolism is impaired, and subsequently any sufficient amount of carbohydrates ingested will cause a spike in insulin and blood sugar, even if the food eaten is low GI/GL and with protein/fat/vegetables/ACV (anything that helps lower insulin response).

-This also explains why people going on super low carbohydrate diets have seen an improvement in their skin: because there is little or no glucose being metabolised, there is no significant insulin response and blood sugar levels are left relatively stable.

-We all know the debates about super low carb diets, and I for one am siding against them, as they are not healthy or practical (please let’s not debate this, keep it to chromium thank you).

The way I see it, the most efficient and practical solution to this problem seems to be:

-If you are sensitive to wheat and other gluten grains, limit as much as possible/cut out

-Cut out refined carbohydrates and sugars

-Supplement with 200-1000ug of Chromium per day (1000ug seems to be the most effective dose, split up into 2x500ug doses)

(- Stop Prediabetes Now: The Ultimate Plan to Lose Weight and Prevent Diabetes

by Jack Challem)

I’m not going to go into the whole low-carb, low-fat debates, and I would appreciate it if this thread could focus on chromium and not turn into a giant debate about something else, thank you.

My recommended diet would be:

High amounts of vegetables and tubers

-Sweet potatoes, low GI potatoes and all vegetables (think green!)

Moderate servings of gluten-free or low GL carbohydrates where possible

-Brown rice, long-grain white rice, oats, quinoa .etc

Moderate amounts of fruit

-Don’t overeat bananas and apples due to higher sugar content

Moderate amounts of lean meats such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, fish

Low amounts of fat and added fat

-This includes all oils, avocado, nuts .etc

Supplementation:

-Zinc, Chromium, Fish Oil and whatever else floats your boat ïŠ

Let me know if there are any questions.

And yes I’m 100% clear, just thought I’d share my chromium knowledge :)

Good luck to all and happy skin times!!!

:D

did you go to an allergist? I've got a schedy for that. I also recently took a blood test to test for hormone imbalance. I want to find the source of my adult acne problem! good read tho thanks fo postin :)

I took two 200ug Chromium pills daily for almost 2 months and didn't really notice any difference in my acne. I didn't notice any effects (negative or positive) from it at all to be honest.

Not saying it won't work for others, but I didn't get results.

I took two 200ug Chromium pills daily for almost 2 months and didn't really notice any difference in my acne. I didn't notice any effects (negative or positive) from it at all to be honest.

Not saying it won't work for others, but I didn't get results.

x2

The first time—and only the first time—I took 200-400mcg of chromium, I felt unnaturally tired quickly afterward. That was the extent of its effect.

@Melie87 - Yes, I got an IgG blood test done which revealed I was intolerant to gluten.

I strongly recommend an IgG blood test, one of the best things I've ever done!

@Gators_Fan - What was the rest of your diet like? I don't believe substituting with chromium alone is enough to cure acne, you need to get rid of food intolerances, refined carbohydrates, gluten (if sensitive) and eat a low-fat, plant-based diet. If if were as simple as taking 2 pills per day it would be the next miracle cure.

@wheezle - Maybe you had an allergic reaction? Personally I think alot of people develop all these strange symptoms with supplements and food and attribute them to the supplement/food wrongly. Did you take them with a large carbohydrate meal? Maybe you only noticed you felt tired because you actually paid attention to how you were feeling alot more due to taking the supplement.

Guys, this isn't an end-all strategy, just one thing to help and it's defiantely helped alot of people, me included.

Lima:

Very interesting, thanks! Im visiting a naturopath for the first time next week and will ask her about this (as well as vitamin D, adrenal fatigue, low stomach acid) as a possible aid in my acne. I have a number of symptoms for all of these and I feel like Im just guessing at this point, which is expensive. Too bad you cant buy like 2 weeks worth of vitamins to give them a try! Anyways, hopefully she'll be able to tell me if this is something I need or not, but it does make sense :)

good read, but I can tell right off the bat it will not work for everyone. congratz OP for finding your acne solution, but I doubt such a regime with supplementation will change everyones skin. Since we all function differently, the only thing we can really do is take a multi-pronged attack towards acne and just keep trying and changing aspects of our lifestyle till we find one that is suitable for relieving acne. supplementation while i believe is essential, will only work for a select few and you just need to find the supplements that are right for you.

Edited by Stavs16

I'd just like to say that since i gave up on my candida diet after two months because i found i was losing far too much weight, i have been trying an experimentation of Chromium, Niacin, Vitamin A (natural from fish oil) and Cinnamon supplements. I got the idea of mixing Chromium and Cinnamon from one of Dotty's old threads and so far i can say that the four combined, while not stopping my acne, are greatly reducing inflamation. Although they dont help my old scars and hyperpigmentatiion, the breakouts around my lower lip are not as frequent as they used to be. Here's what i'm taking daily

Chromium Picolinate 200ug 3x daily (morning, noon and night)

Cinnamon 500 mg....i try to get 3 or 4 grams daily

Vitamin A 10,000 iu (twice daily....i know that's controversial and i will lower the dosage eventually)

Niacin 500mg once daily.

My status at the moment is about 80 % clear on a mild/moderate scale. I am however aware that these supplements shouldnt be viewed as a long term thing as i keep on searching for what it is that is breaking me out still at 24 years of age.

Why would we dismiss it? But there are many other nutrients involved in managing blood sugar as well as other factors that are equally as important: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574113

I'm not saying that the majority would dismiss it, it's just sometimes people are reluctant to learn something new if they were previously unaware, as it's easier to condemn what you don't know. And yes I realise acne is MUUUUCH more than just chromium and my proposed diet, but I thought I'd just do a thread specifically on chromium, because if I spent as much time as I needed to on the entire topic of what's good for acne I'd probably end up with something similar in length to your "Good things for acne" thread haha - I just don't have that much time!!!

good read, but I can tell right off the bat it will not work for everyone. congratz OP for finding your acne solution, but I doubt such a regime with supplementation will change everyones skin. Since we all function differently, the only thing we can really do is take a multi-pronged attack towards acne and just keep trying and changing aspects of our lifestyle till we find one that is suitable for relieving acne. supplementation while i believe is essential, will only work for a select few and you just need to find the supplements that are right for you.

I couldn't agree more - by all means there is much more to acne and I just happened to find out what works well for me.

If I had to put a finger on a few major points in a nutshell, they would be:

-Stabilise blood sugar

-Reduce inflammation

-Eat healthy

-Avoid food intolerances

-Don't use harsh chemicals on the skin

-Maintain a strong immune system

-Hydration

I wish you the best of luck

I'd just like to say that since i gave up on my candida diet after two months because i found i was losing far too much weight, i have been trying an experimentation of Chromium, Niacin, Vitamin A (natural from fish oil) and Cinnamon supplements. I got the idea of mixing Chromium and Cinnamon from one of Dotty's old threads and so far i can say that the four combined, while not stopping my acne, are greatly reducing inflamation. Although they dont help my old scars and hyperpigmentatiion, the breakouts around my lower lip are not as frequent as they used to be. Here's what i'm taking daily

Chromium Picolinate 200ug 3x daily (morning, noon and night)

Cinnamon 500 mg....i try to get 3 or 4 grams daily

Vitamin A 10,000 iu (twice daily....i know that's controversial and i will lower the dosage eventually)

Niacin 500mg once daily.

My status at the moment is about 80 % clear on a mild/moderate scale. I am however aware that these supplements shouldnt be viewed as a long term thing as i keep on searching for what it is that is breaking me out still at 24 years of age.

Hey Bosie - I feel sorry for you still not knowing what your specific causes of acne are, but you will find out if you keep searching!

I have no doubt you've searched thoroughly into the topic, but see my above reply to Stavs16 and make sure you've at least investigated those major points.

My mistake in the past was putting too much emphasis on one of these, while ignoring others that I thought we're insignificant (such as harsh chemicals, hydration .etc).

Give everything an equal chance :)

Best of luck to you.