Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ive just finished accutane today and have no current actives but loads of red marks, it looks like i still have acne when i havn't had a breakout for at least a month and a half. Has anybody else had this problem, if so how did you tackle the red marks?

Persistent red marks have always been a big issue for me. My red marks have improved a lot with alpha hydroxy acid and lactic acid. The lactic acid comes from just regular milk that I drink every day. I apply the milk with a cotton pad all over my face. The lactic acid dries you out a little, but it's nothing to worry about. The red marks on your face are just clusters of dead skin on your face which is why manual exfoliation (with a baby brush) and chemical exfoliation (with glycolic, alpha hydroxy, and lactic acids) help fade the marks. Lactic acid eats away at the dead skin on your epidermis and makes your complexion noticeably brighter. I've seen really great results with it. Also, I took Accutane for 6 months and I was shedding skin the whole time I was on it. That probably helped with the red marks, too, since it was like exfoliation in over-drive.

I just want to say that acne marks take time to heal, it really doesn't matter what you do; manual or chemical exfoliation in my experience, neither really help. For me, deep red marks usually take about 18 months to disappear, but they definitely do, and others take from either a couple of months to half a year. Anxiety will only make the situation worse I promise you.

Thanks for the great advice guys, for some reason accutane has made my red marks worse which is wierd. Anyway im just going to have to wait i guess, ill give the milk a go though but i think i should wait a while as my skin is incredible dry at the moment.

Thanks for the great advice guys, for some reason accutane has made my red marks worse which is wierd. Anyway im just going to have to wait i guess, ill give the milk a go though but i think i should wait a while as my skin is incredible dry at the moment.

High chance that you've got drier skin now, due to taking 'tane. My advice is get some Jojoba oil.. It's the best, and cheap enough on ebay. Use that... even as a cleanser. I think keeping your skin soft improves the look. Another thing to try is lemons.. What I do is cut a lemon in half, drink most of it (squeezed into hot water) and squeeze a bit on to your scars. Doesn't sting me personally, but if it does, dilute with water.

Best to apply after washing your face with warm water, and I wash it off after 15 minutes

Thanks indigo, ive got emu oil, which is apparently similar and maybe better than jojoba oil, ive been applying that religiously which is supposed to help red marks but i dont think its very effective on old marks, only new ones/ inflammation. My face is so dry at the moment, so i'm avoiding unnecessary washing for now but will give the lemons a go, thanks.

Yeah, me too. I didn't take accutane but I've always had a problem with red marks after acne. They always fade, but like Sima said, gentle exfoliation can help.

BTW Sima, your skin glows now and you have beautiful eyes :)