IT'S 'TANE TIME

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/01/2011 1:40 pm

Hey everyone!

This is a little early to start, but I just can't hold back!

I get to start accutane 5/9! I am sooooo excited to actually be doing something that will attack the root of problem!

After trying a ton of stuff, and I think just exaserbating the problem, I will get my hands on my cure (fingers crossed). BTW, I'm 28 swf... lol, I always wanted to write "swf".

My acne actually just came like a tidal wave about 6 months ago... it was really strange the way it came on, and it's almost like it was a bad dream. It still sorta feels that way, but I feel like I am doing everything I can to control the craziness, and I think my initial shock has worn off. I kinda feel like I'm trying to wake up. Last summer I started getting a cyst around that TOTM, but not too worried about it. Then my period started every 3 weeks, then every 2... my face kept getting worse. I tried various otc products, and ended up going with Murad for about 6 weeks. My face literally exploded w/ clogged pores, very deep and thick. Any time I touched one... no check that, LOOKED at one it would become infected. Well u can imagine what the last 2-3 months of differin have done to my face! Lots of marks, bc these things just keep erupting. Prior to differin I have tried antibiotics, bcp, spiro, peels, facials, bp, sa, zeno, supplements, changing my diet, etc. I got set up w/ ipledge a few weeks ago, and am just counting down the days.

I went thru a divorce this winter too, and I have to say that I expected more support from my family. I guess I shouldn't be surprised they're not more supportive, they never really were. My husbands family took me in about 10yrs ago, pretty much straight out of highschool. And they r still there for me, but its still sorta awkward now. I have a daughter named Audrey who is precious, but we split custody 50/50, and this shit really gets to me when I'm alone. Its not too bad when I get around other people, but I'm always feeling ashamed of what's happened to me. My ex actually told me I'm getting what I deserve bc I asked for the divorce. I judge myself too harshly, bc I know I've done everything I can, but its just gotten worse. I feel all alone.

BUT!

I GET TO START ACCUTANE IN A WEEK! YAY!

I know I will be back to my old, or should I say NEW, self in a matter of months!

Sorry this kinda rambled on, but I find it theraputic to vent here. I would ask for any and all feedback/support/advice possible. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this stuff, and I'm trying to cope alone here, which I'm sure isn't healthy.

Wish me luck with starting! I'm sure ill be posting frequently to help pass the time.

Lots of love,

Crystal

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/01/2011 1:48 pm

Hey everyone!

I get to start accutane 5/9! I am sooooo excited to actually be doing something that will attack the root of problem!

After trying a ton of stuff, and I think just exaserbating the problem, I will get my hands on my cure (fingers crossed). BTW, I'm 28 swf... lol, I always wanted to write "swf".

My acne actually just came like a tidal wave about 6 months ago... it was really strange the way it came on, and it's almost like it was a bad dream. It still sorta feels that way, but I feel like I am doing everything I can to control the craziness, and I think my initial shock has worn off. I kinda feel like I'm trying to wake up. Last summer I started getting a cyst around that TOTM, but not too worried about it. Then my period started every 3 weeks, then every 2... my face kept getting worse. I tried various otc products, and ended up going with Murad for about 6 weeks. My face literally exploded w/ clogged pores, very deep and thick. Any time I touched one... no check that, LOOKED at one it would become infected. Well u can imagine what the last 2-3 months of differin have done to my face! Lots of marks, bc these things just keep erupting. Prior to differin I have tried antibiotics, bcp, spiro, peels, facials, bp, sa, zeno, supplements, changing my diet, etc. I got set up w/ ipledge a few weeks ago, and am just counting down the days.

I went thru a divorce this winter too, and I have to say that I expected more support from my family. I guess I shouldn't be surprised they're not more supportive, they never really were. My husbands family took me in about 10yrs ago, pretty much straight out of highschool. And they r still there for me, but its still sorta awkward now. I have a daughter named Audrey who is precious, but we split custody 50/50, and this shit really gets to me when I'm alone. Its not too bad when I get around other people, but I'm always feeling ashamed of what's happened to me. My ex actually told me I'm getting what I deserve bc I asked for the divorce. I judge myself too harshly, bc I know I've done everything I can, but its just gotten worse. I feel all alone.

BUT!

I know I will be back to my old, or should I say NEW, self in a matter of months!

Sorry this kinda rambled on, but I find it theraputic to vent here. I would ask for any and all feedback/support/advice possible. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this stuff, and I'm trying to cope alone here, which I'm sure isn't healthy.

Wish me luck with starting! I'm sure ill be posting frequently to help pass the time.

Lots of love,

Crystal

Hey, good luck on your course! Any idea what dosage your derm. is going to start you on? I am currently 2 weeks into my course on 40mg. I started my log the day my derm. told me i was going on accutane. The funny thing is, it took about 3 weeks for me to actually get a hold of the pill! But so far all if well for me, I THINK i went thru a mild IB, but it might be because I took Bactrim up until my first dose of accutane!

I hope this drug changes your life in the best of ways with minimal side effects!

PS Here is my LOG

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/01/2011 2:10 pm

Ill find out for sure on the 9th, but last time I met w/ my derm he said he usually gives the same dose to all his patients unless they're over weight. 1st mon 40mg, 2nd 60mg, and months 3 thru 6 80mg. We'll see if this stands. I only weigh 120lbs, and that will put me way over the recommended cul. dose.

I will def check out ur log! And thank u sooo much for the support. ( I was going to post the little love guy here but I just found Chuck Norris - love it!)

I am very happy to hear u didn't have a bad ib. I can't imagine I will bc the differin has really purged me a lot, but maybe, I have to be prepared for it, and hopefully be happy if it doesn't happen or is minimal like u. R u going to be bumped up at all?

My derm actually told me very few people get worse before they get better w/ isotretinoin, but maybe he was trying to not freak me out. He did say I need to be prepared for the dryness, and he was sure it would drive me nuts, but lol, it will be fine if I clear up.

Do u have pih? And have u noticed any effects, good or bad, from the accutane on those?

I think the summer sun freaks me out most. I usually tan wonderfully, but I will have to be so careful on the accutane. I have a half acre to mow and take care of...

MemberMember
(@roadrashed)

Posted : 05/01/2011 4:39 pm

Hey, sorry to hear about your divorce :( i hope clear skins enough to cheer you up.

Good luck on accutane, the dose your on seems pretty high so it might be hard. The side effects arent really that bad apart from dry skin, you probably wont get as dry as i did but the way i dealt with the dryness was

1. find a good moisturiser and stick to it! the best ones are the ones with the fewest ingredients and designed for skin conditions like eczema, that way you can slap it on when your not going out. Also you might want a lighter moisturiser for when you go out

2. put on moisturiser whenever your not going out because having a greasy/shiny/white face shouldnt be a problem in your own home, that way you can prepare your skin for when you go out

3. dont shower or bath too often because it drys your skin out so much! same with washing your face ( dont worry about cleansers because you dont really need them, they'l most likely make your skin feel worse, if you do, use a gentle cleanser)

4. drink lots of water

5. avoid hot indoor heat, wind and sun, because they really dry your skin, also you'l be prone to sunburn which will only add to facial redness, i keep burning in the sun and its only making it worse haha.

You might not need these tips but you might aswell know just incase you get as dry as i did, good luck!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/01/2011 4:45 pm

Thanks for the tips Road!

I appreciate it, I'm sure I'm going to need all of the help I can get ;)

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/01/2011 5:52 pm

So, I still have a lot of large white clogged pores... how does accutane effect those? R they all going to inflame or will they go away?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/01/2011 6:02 pm

Ill find out for sure on the 9th, but last time I met w/ my derm he said he usually gives the same dose to all his patients unless they're over weight. 1st mon 40mg, 2nd 60mg, and months 3 thru 6 80mg. We'll see if this stands. I only weigh 120lbs, and that will put me way over the recommended cul. dose.

I will def check out ur log! And thank u sooo much for the support. ( I was going to post the little love guy here but I just found Chuck Norris - love it!)

I am very happy to hear u didn't have a bad ib. I can't imagine I will bc the differin has really purged me a lot, but maybe, I have to be prepared for it, and hopefully be happy if it doesn't happen or is minimal like u. R u going to be bumped up at all?

My derm actually told me very few people get worse before they get better w/ isotretinoin, but maybe he was trying to not freak me out. He did say I need to be prepared for the dryness, and he was sure it would drive me nuts, but lol, it will be fine if I clear up.

Do u have pih? And have u noticed any effects, good or bad, from the accutane on those?

I think the summer sun freaks me out most. I usually tan wonderfully, but I will have to be so careful on the accutane. I have a half acre to mow and take care of...

Chuck Norris!!! yes!! haha

anyhow, my derm. told me i may get bumped up depending on how i look after 1 month. I bet he will tho, because it seems like it's rather common.

My derm too told me that most of his patients do not get worse before they get better, but it says you may in the ipledge booklet.

I do have some PIH esp. around my jaw line where i had some small cysts throughout the years...I think its too early to tell whether or not the drug is acting on those just yet....and for summer, I'm pretty bummed about not going to the pool or doing other things outside during mid-day hours. Mow in the evening! thats prob the best time to do it anyway lol I think i'll stay busy by working out and scheduling some extra days at work lol

MemberMember
(@bibiface)

Posted : 05/06/2011 9:05 am

Hey everyone!

BUT!

Lots of love,

Crystal

hopefully this works for us crystal, i mean it has to right we cant have acne forever ughh ive read

so manny success stories im excited to post before and after pics!! and throw away all my concealers just keep eyeliners, mascara, and eye shadow omg can you imagine!!! the birds will be chirpping on that day and the gods will be playing the violin lmao!!! goood luck and keep your head up i know how hard divorces can be just think of all the spicey men and new ppl well meet lol

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/06/2011 10:36 am

Thanks Bibi,

I am having a really hard time today...

I had cyst in the middle of my right cheek come up a few days ago, and I thought it was ready to go last night... but obviously not... It's super red, swollen, sore and throbbing... and it's huge. I'm sitting here at work stressing about it.

It hurts so bad, fml. lol, and my meager attempt to cover it w/ makeup embarrasses me, too...

And I know it's still infected, and it will be right there and huge forever, you like a month at least, and who knows about the pih... and starting 'tane, will it take even longer to heal, will it flare worse... I am majorly stressing, and there's nothing I can do atm.

Please cheer me up, today is a bad day....

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/08/2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for the pm's last week, it did help.

I'm posting tonight bc I'm nervous for tomorrow. I hope my lab work comes back ok. If so, tomorrow will be my first day of isotretinoin. Here we go!

I can't wait for clear skin!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/09/2011 12:26 pm

Ok Kiddies....

I had my labs this morning, and my derm appt is in about 4 hours..

I am soooo nervous and excited!!

I can't believe I'm actually starting tonight.

I verified with my pharm that they carried it, and they said they only carry 40mg, which is what my derm said he'd start me on.

I am also going to ask him about vitamins/supplements and recommended products for lips/eyes/skin, etc. And going to inquire about prednisone (for the ib) and biafine for helping heal the aftermath of my zits. Pretty much going to ask 8,000 questions, lol.

I had an amazing weekend and Mother's Day. Saturday it was 70 degrees and sunny here. I brought my daughter out with me and did a TON of yard work. It was so nice being outside in the sun. I burnt my shoulders and back of my neck slightly, but not too bad. My kid was hilarious, she was a complete mess. Happy kids are definitely dirty kids! Yesterday my ex actually got me a card from my daughter, it was really nice. I spent the day with my ex in-laws, it was great. They are way more of a family to me than my real family. I really enjoyed it.

And I just wanted to say Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's that may read this. I hope you all had a great day.

Now, this acne business needs to go. Ahhhhh I'm excited!!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/10/2011 12:58 am

DAY 1

Ok, so it's official! I took my first tablet of Claravis tonight - woot! I am so happy to be starting! My derm actually started me @ 20mg and next month will be 40mg, 3rd mon will be 60mg, and 4-6 will be @ 80mg. Also my derm wants me to continue w/ my topicals for the first mon. He said he hardly ever sees an IB, and he also sorta rained on my parade. He told me he thought my kind of acne would return :( he said he thought id clear up beautifully on tane, but worries it will come back. @ the end of my course we'll discuss topical treatments for maintenance, maybe cont w/ differin... I hope that's not the case but we'll see. Also, he hooked me up w/ some samples of biafine, which I've heard a lot about w/ healing old marks, I'm excited to try it. Stocked up w/ aquaphor for my lips and some eye drops. My derm also recommended taking vit E and fishoil.

I took my tablet w/ a glass of my kid's vitamin D milk, and so far I've noticed..........nothing! Lol, although I'm very happy to finally have started!

If anyone else has or did start @ 20mg, did u notice any side effects? My derm thought I wouldn't really notice anything for my first month...

Thx, and lots of love!

MemberMember
(@moxie1)

Posted : 05/10/2011 7:13 am

What does your derm mean when he said your type of acne tends to come back? Which type is that? I bet even if it comes back, that it will be much milder than before. My sister did a course many years ago, and she does get the occasional breakout now, but she said she can just use BP to clear it up (no cysts).

Can you use Biafine while on accutane? I haven't asked my derm about clearing up my red marks - I figured I would after I finish my course. I have a lot of red marks on my neck from prior cysts.

My derm started me out on 40mg, so not sure about side effects for 20mg. I had a bad headache for the first week, and since then, dry lips and some flaky skin on my face. It isn't too bad though.

MemberMember
(@waqas_pk)

Posted : 05/10/2011 7:22 am

Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/10/2011 11:08 am

moxie1: He said because it's hormonal.... which doesn't make much sense to me as all acne is technically hormonal... I have alot of clogged pores, or closed comedones all around my face. They are the worst around my cheeks and chin. These tend to get irritated and become zits. I also get large, deep cysts that like to pop up and hang out for about a month before they either go down or develop a head... at which point I usually can'e help myself to help it out, if you know what i mean ;) Right now I have one large cyst on my left cheek, and about 8 smaller (but equally hated) zits. I wouldn't even attempt to count my comedones....

Even tho this is the go to guy around here for tane rx's, he said his patients are mostly teenage males, not almost 30 females. He said he prefers to treat women with spiro or bcp's as opposed to tane. I have hope of clearing nicely, and using some sort of topical for maintenance. He told me he wanted me to be aware of the risk. He said I may clear forever, but that is most likely not reality, tho he suspects if/when it returns it will be milder.

I used the Biafine last night, and didn't notice anything, really, but then again I didn't expect to. I actually asked him about it, and he said it's typically given for burns, but it wouldn't hurt me to use it. He did tell me because of it's healing properties it may be beneficial, but he's never recommended it for this type of use. It's like a thick lotion that comes in a tube. He just gave me a handful of samples and said if I liked it he could either give me more or write a script at my next appt.

waqas_pk: Thank you!!! Lord knows I need it

DAY 2

Ok, so I don't really have any other updates at this point, but today is my birthday!!

I feel like this is my birthday present to myself!

I am so happy to have started!

Maybe I will post some pics so you all can see my progress along with me. I just have droid for internet tho, so I'll have to see if it will let me upload pics. The last time I tried for my avatar the file was too big...

Have a great day everyone!

MemberMember
(@user102638)

Posted : 05/10/2011 4:02 pm

Happy Birthday and good luck on the course. I'm a 28 year old female as well, and these forums have been crucial for my sanity during this process. It's important to be able to rant and vent and ask questions. :) This is my second course, and between the two I've had a varied experience. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/10/2011 4:50 pm

Thanks Red!

Hopefully we'll kick this like a bad habit!

And you are absolutely right, I think I would have a much harder time if I didn't have the org to run to when I need to vent or need feedback.

I am so happy to feel like I'm doing what I need to! I can't wait for this weight to be lifted :)

MemberMember
(@lfriend)

Posted : 05/12/2011 11:05 pm

Hi Crystal!

Congrats on starting..it feels awesome to finally get your hands on something that gives you hope again doesnt it?? I'm just like you and about 7 months ago start breaking out like crazy with cysts and pimples like I had never before and basically it was my hormones going crazy but I'm 25! It's like we're going through puberty again..it's nuts. I started May 2 so we are pretty close on our starting dates. I'm really excited for you and you seem like you have a good outlook so I think you'll be able to handle anything that comes your way with the treatment :)

best of luck!

Lindsey

MemberMember
(@fel_han)

Posted : 05/13/2011 2:10 am

hey ya crystal!

We are of the same age!! I can totally relate to u!!

I think as we age, our skin tend to heal slower and adapt much slower to acne medications as well. =((

Nevertheless, hang in there. May god hear our prayers!!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/13/2011 2:33 pm

Thanks guys! It definitely helps to know I'm not the only one in my twenties dealing with this, although I hate for anyone to go through this. It's just stupid

So, today is DAY 5

So far I can report.... a little dryness on my nose, and surprisingly enough, my skin is smoothing out. It's like all these little closed comedones are shrinking - tho by no means gone. I developed a cyst on my left cheek last week, and tried butchering it... But it was no use, and here it still sits, though it's somewhat smaller, no longer hard or sore :) Also, my red marks are fading nicely, and I don't know who to thank??? I've been using Biafine nightly on my marks, but my derm said accutane helps with pigmentation, too... I am still oily by mid-afternoon, but not nearly as much.

Right now I have a medium-ish sized zit on my forehead that hurts like a *&^%, but hopefully it will die down quickly.

I cannot recommend Biafine enough for damaged areas of your skin. I saw it as a rec on here, and I am so glad I asked about it. It def helps healing, I've seen results already. It's not a miracle but I can see a difference.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

I can't wait for more results! I really hope I'm lucky enough that it won't get too horrible before the real clearing starts!

Lots of Love!!!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/13/2011 5:00 pm

Ok, so DAY 5 continued.....

I had to come back today and report fatigue. Yesterday aroung 2pm-3pm at work I felt pretty tired, but today is crazy. I am super tired, and it just hit me. I am never this way during the day, it has to be a side effect. On the upside tho, I have been sleeping very well at night. Normally I'm so energetic/wired I have trouble going to bed at night, and always wake up early.

I have been able to go down about an hour earlier and if I could sleep in, I most certainly would. I plan on it tomorrow

K, if anything else comes to mind, I'll be back again ;)

MemberMember
(@missj0064)

Posted : 05/13/2011 5:54 pm

I hope all is going well!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/18/2011 5:43 pm

DAY 10

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well!!

Obnoxiously long post warning

I had actually been clearing up fairly well, but I knew it would be short lived. I even had a couple coments at work, but here they come again... Over the last few days I've had about dozen new spots come up All on my cheeks, sigh.

Three were asking for help last night, and I just couldn't help myself. I *really* wanted to avoid picking while on tane, but when they are white and juicy I just can't help myself. I guess I would rather have a red mark/ scab/ possible scar as opposed to a volcano ready to explode on someone I am talking to at work, lol.

Three are *very* swollen, sore, red areas with no head (wouldn't call them cysts, tho, they're not hard), and the others are clogs that are growing, turning a little pink, and while I hope they'll die down without incidence, I know better.

I still have countless clogged pores, and I do have hope those will dry up with out blowing up.

This is so weird, it's like some days "ok, not looking too bad, it's getting better", and other days it's like "holy sh*t, what just happened", lol. There have even been a couple days where I swing back and forth between "getting better" and "wtf" in the SAME day, lol.

Frustrating.

But expected, I suppose.

Doesn't everone on tane hope to be the lucky ones that just start clearing from the get go...

I guess I need to remember that I am doing everything possible, I am taking a med to help this problem, and there will be an end to this madness.

I don't know if I would call this an IB or not. I was breaking out on the daily before tane, and this does not seem worse.

Tho my oil seemed to just completely shut down a couple days ago. I would say that's positive, but my current actives started rearing their ugly heads right about that time, too

The killer cyst in the middle of my left cheek is still present It has been large, but stayed a relatively mild color of pink. It apparently decided last night that a lovely shade of purple was more befitting of my face. It has gone down in size but c'mon, purple? There is no make up on this planet that could hope to hide such a monster, lol. I have been using Aczone on it at night for the last however long I've had it. I wonder if I should continue? It HAS gone down in size, slightly, lol, and the surface skin is not peeling or anything... I don't know, I feel like I have to do something to "treat" it, lol.

Sometimes my facial skin seems tight and dry, like sunburn, and at other times it seems to look plump and healthy, these ups downs through out the day are just trippy

My nose and the apples of cheeks seem to flush now, but it looks healthy, if anything. And it makes my massive amounts of pih less noticeable. Hopefully this flushing doesn't turn in to full blown "tane face", lol

Nose has had some flakes, but manageable with moisturizer.

My lips are crazy tight w/o product on them. Thankfully they haven't peeled or cracked yet *(knocks on wood)*, so I have been applying Aquaphor like a mad woman.

I had been having headaches the first week, but those seem to have subsided.

Still crazy tired in the afternoons, like zombie-tired. It's bad. But I get a second wind and it's hard to go down early. I have been trying really hard tho, bc it's like pulling teeth to drag my ass out of bed in the mornings, lol. Totally not typical for me, and I am calling that a side effect.

Also, I love the Biafine, it's not an overnight cure for pih, but there is a definite difference. I've been using samples from my derm, and I fully intend to ask for an actual script at my 1 month appt.

I began using L'ANZA Healing Strength shampoo and conditioner last week. I have still been washing my hair everyday, no scalp issues as of yet, and I love this new s&c. It was recommended by this chic at the beauty supply store when I told her I was on tane. She didn't even skip a beat. It's spendy, even wholesale at the beauty supply store, but I am loving it, and c'mon now, I am not going to skimp when it comes to my hair (which is long), especially while I'm on tane

Well, that's all for now. I want to post pics, but the files on my phone seem to be too large. Any help on that would be appreciated. I have a droid, and no camera or personal computer. (You must've lost your mind if you thought I would use my work comp to load pics, lol!!!)

Later guys, and lots of love!

xoxoxo

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 05/18/2011 5:52 pm

The photos are probably bitmap files at the moment. If you resave them as JPEG's it will reduce their size and you should be able to upload.

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/18/2011 6:09 pm

Thx biggs, I'll try later tonight!