Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zachariah9204

So I basically cannot eat anything...

Almost every single food that I look up on here has some way of causing acne, I have been eating fruits and vegetables all week and drinking lots of water and de-caffeinated green tea, along with seeds and some fish.

However I do not have a car yet, I am 18, my mom is very busy and does not have the time to go shopping everyday for food. I have a lot of food in my house but basically everything "aggravates acne" including cheerios, nutri grain bars and meat/eggs.

It is not fair I am always hungry because I am out of fresh fish and the fruits and vegetables do not fill me up, and then I tend to finish all the apples/bananas/cucumbers/spinach/lettuce/carrots/oranges/blueberries in two days...

This board has made me so paranoid of what I eat, I am still breaking out, but it is crazy that I should only be eating about 15 food items...from what I see on here..

I had some steak a few days ago and scrambled eggs with nothing on them because I needed some protein and it was easter..

I do not eat chocolate

Drink any dairy

and no wheat, but i need a snack and have no seeeds left and all there is are cheerios

It sucks not being able to eat I feel weak

This is how i felt for the first couple months I started eating super healthy. I was CONSTANTLY hungry and CONSTANTLY thinking about food. But this was when I first started eating healthy ans didn't really have good information on what I could and could not eat. That was December of 09.

Now in April of 11, I have TONS of more inforation on what i can and cant eat.

For instance:

1. Back then I cut out ALL gluten. Now I eat gluten almost everyday. From cereals to breads. In small amounts howveer. :dance:

2. Back then I ate the same boring meals every single day. Now I eat a variety of food that in my opinion are delicious, like a 90% dark chocolate.

3. Back then I cut out ALL sugar except for fruits. Now I eat homemade chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies EVERY SINGLE DAY :gimme:

My point with all this is to let you know that all you need to do with your diet is trial and error.

-Everyone says gluten is bad but it doesn't really affect my acne.

-Everyone says dairy is bad but it has a lesser effect on my acne than gluten does. I know, weird.

-Everyone says sugar is bad. I agree on this one but in moderation its OK.

Everyones acne is different and other peoples diets dont necessarily have to be yours.

BTW, Im 95% clear with all this gluten, sugar and dairy in my diet. SUPPLEMENTS ARE KEY GUYS!

I hate the Nutrition section on here and what it does to people.

You shouldn't be afraid to eat, but remember...everything in moderation.

And having a "perfect" diet but being miserable while on it can actually make matters worse. There is a lot to be said for how much emotions impact your overall health.

There is a lot to be said for how much emotions impact your overall health.

Indeed.

Zachariah, if the subject of emotions/mental health/stress etc, etc. is of interest to you (which I think should be if you still breakout on a restrictive, healthy diet) then I would recommend visiting this website:

The Love Vitamin

Basically, while diet plays an extremely important role for most of our acne, there is still more behind it. I know this based on personal experience and an abundance of regulars here. I won't add any further constructive talk - let that website do the talking.

It's not that you can't everything... it's that you can't eat something. When we go on our diets and report improvements, we're basically treating for everything. For example, in the past month, changes to my diet have included:

- Supplements: Vitamin D3, B-complex, Zinc, and Probiotics once in a while

- Dairy: Only yogurt once in a while for the pro-biotic benefits and nothing else

- Wheat and Gluten: Cut out the best I can

- Vegetables: Mostly broccoli, carrots, and celery, and a ton of it.

- Fruits: Tons... apples, oranges, avocados, various berries

- Sugar: Kept to a minimum, I use Stevia for my green teas and oatmeal

- Nuts: Lots of almonds for vitamin E and walnuts for omega-3 fat.

Previous to that, my diet was super high on bad carbs and sugar (basically bread, cereal, and other junk food with everything else). Example of my first sentence: A lot here have reported problems with nuts. I've been eating a shit load of almonds and some walnuts over the past month without issues. Now out of all of the above, what is my cure? Is it the D3? Zinc? Cut down of gluten? Cut down of processed sugars? And etc...

I am getting a blood test next month to make sure everything is balanced. Then I will try to find an allergist for possible food allergies which could have been setting off acne. That would hopefully be the easy way out. If nothing there, then I'll start removing supplements one by one until I find out what exactly causes me to break out. This is going to be one long and hard journey, but I feel it will be well worth it.

Edited by -Core-

I love the Nutrition section. I hate the way people over react and panic over information instead of using it to make choices. It's not the Nutrition section, it's the readers who don't think.

To the OP: There's plenty of real whole foods to eat. Most of the foods that people say directly cause them to break out do so due to food intolerances that you probably do not have. You need to figure out your own food intolerances, if any by methodically avoiding foods or related groups of foods one by one. Or by following a very hypo-allergenic diet for a while then methodically adding foods back in. Or you can try to get tested, but your average doctor probably won't give you a test that tests for the right antibodies involved in acne.

Other than that, just eat real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, and keep all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate glycemic impact. Eat lots of greens, broccoli, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, berries, olive and coconut oil, fish, eggs from pastured hens, etc. Eat little sugar, refined grains and gluten grains, unfermented dairy, hydrogenated/trans fats. This means avoiding/limiting most commercially prepared foods.

Edited by alternativista

If I were you I'd focus on staying grain free, but eat your meat and eggs. Your body needs protein and meat and eggs do not cause acne for most people. A lot of hardcore vegetarians will say they do but they have their own motivations behind that...

Grains on the other hand you should avoid. Eat rice if you must, but without a doubt avoid wheat and other heavy glutens.

Why are people moaning about this forum? People come here and explain THEIR exeperiences and what works for them, not what works for everyone. Just because someone makes a thread saying they can't eat nuts, that doesn't mean you can't, same with everything else.

You are in control of your own actions, you need to take the advice given on here and apply it to yourself. Stop being lazy and copying what everyone else has done and start working things out for yourself, its the only way your ever going to make progress.

This board hasn't made you paranoid, YOU have made yourself paranoid!

^What she said. Mostly.

Concentrate on eating real, whole nutrient dense foods and keeping blood sugar stable. And grains are not really nutrient dense and certainly not once the food industry gets their hands on them.

If you believe you have food intolerances, you can stick to these foods few people are intolerant to which also happen to be wonderful nutrient dense foods often rich in nutrient specifically helpful for acne:

Hypo-allergenic foods according to whfoods.org

Cabbage

Carrots

Celery

Collard Greens

Green Beans

Green Peas

Kale

Lettuce

Summer Squash (Zucchini)

Sweet Potatoes

Swiss Chard

Winter Squash

Garlic and Onions

Olive Oil

Apples

Grapes

Lemons

Pears

Brown Rice

Black Beans

Garbanzos

Lentils

Pumpkin seeds

Sesame Seeds

Sunflower seeds

Cod-wild

Salmon-wild

Lamb

Note that the reason lamb makes that list is because they are almost always pastured and not fed grains. If you can get other products from pastured animals, they are probably safe for you.

Also, soak, rinse and cook the beans yourself rather than use canned. Cook with lots of beneficial onions and garlic and then throw in some greens to wilt once the beans are done and heat is turned off (except for Kale which needs a few minutes of cooking).

After a month or so, gradually and methodically add foods/groups of related foods back in.

Edited by alternativista

I love the Nutrition section. I hate the way people over react and panic over information instead of using it to make choices. It's not the Nutrition section, it's the readers who don't think.

To the OP: There's plenty of real whole foods to eat. Most of the foods that people say directly cause them to break out do so due to food intolerances that you probably do not have. You need to figure out your own food intolerances, if any by methodically avoiding foods or related groups of foods one by one. Or by following a very hypo-allergenic diet for a while then methodically adding foods back in. Or you can try to get tested, but your average doctor probably won't give you a test that tests for the right antibodies involved in acne.

Other than that, just eat real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, and keep all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate glycemic impact. Eat lots of greens, broccoli, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, berries, olive and coconut oil, fish, eggs from pastured hens, etc. Eat little sugar, refined grains and gluten grains, unfermented dairy, hydrogenated/trans fats. This means avoiding/limiting most commercially prepared foods.

Yes, seriously. That's why I don't even bother to post here anymore really. So many people project their lack of self-discipline and inability to change negative behaviors as anger that they "can't eat anything". Plus they neglect to acknowledge even that 90%+ of the shit available to us marketed as "food" are substances that the body was NEVER intended to ingest in the first place, and WILL cause dysfunction.

An ELIMINATION DIET is a widely accepted, therapeutic, TEMPORARY method of determining which foods may or may not causing an allergy or intolerance reaction in the body. It is absolutely the most fail safe method of figuring out the culprits, and the person can absolutely reintroduce food as permitted/desired. It doesn't mean "you can't anything".

So many people project their lack of self-discipline and inability to change negative behaviors as anger that they "can't eat anything".

And blame the rest of us for their emotional problems.

Plus they neglect to acknowledge even that 90%+ of the shit available to us marketed as "food" are substances that the body was NEVER intended to ingest in the first place, and WILL cause dysfunction.

That's only step one. Step two is getting over the denial of that fact. For a while I acknowledged the possibility, but anytime I thought about it I went straight to denial mode - "for me, food is not the cause of my acne". Yeah... I was so wrong.

Edited by -Core-

If I were you I'd focus on staying grain free, but eat your meat and eggs. Your body needs protein and meat and eggs do not cause acne for most people. A lot of hardcore vegetarians will say they do but they have their own motivations behind that...

Grains on the other hand you should avoid. Eat rice if you must, but without a doubt avoid wheat and other heavy glutens.

If you have a bad reaction when you eat meat (i.e. sluggishness, constipation, etc.) you should stop eating it, at least until your digestion improves.

If eating meat gives you energy and makes you feel good, keep eating it. If complex carbs make you feel good, keep eating them. Sprouted whole grains, wild rice, mung beans are all good sources of complex carbs. I have always gravitated towards a carb-based diet and it has been working well for me but I'm sure there are plenty of people that thrive on a protein-based diet. Just remember, meat is not the only source of protein. Meat also contains a lot of fat which for some people, may not be the right diet.

If you are not sure what your body needs, eat a very simple veggie and fruit diet for a few days, preferably a week and introduce meat or grains back into your diet (one at a time).

Be careful of eggs as well since they are one of the top food allergies. It would be best to get a food allergy test to make sure you are not allergic to eggs, dairy, gluten, etc.

You shouldn't be afraid to eat, but remember...everything in moderation.

And having a "perfect" diet but being miserable while on it can actually make matters worse. There is a lot to be said for how much emotions impact your overall health.

What a sad post; the fact you actually think a forum can "make" people think or act a certain way. If a person is weak-minded and a hypochondriac, a forum like this will just be a focus for them and a nice way for them, and you, to blame a forum for their problems, instead of claiming responsibility for their lives and its quality. Sign of the times; blame someone or something else for everything.

Yes, seriously. That's why I don't even bother to post here anymore really. So many people project their lack of self-discipline and inability to change negative behaviors as anger that they "can't eat anything". Plus they neglect to acknowledge even that 90%+ of the shit available to us marketed as "food" are substances that the body was NEVER intended to ingest in the first place, and WILL cause dysfunction.

This... it does get frustrating sometimes trying to help people. At the same time I can relate to the position that people like the OP are in... I didn't go from SAD diet to joyously high raw overnight. There was a lot of kicking and screaming and GRIEVING involved in between. But eventually I saw what a gift it really is to have something lead you into a better diet and lifestyle, even if it is something as upsetting as acne.