Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ashes

switching from BP to Differin....help

I also posted this in the prescription med forum....

I'm going to stop using Dan's BP Gel since my family doctor gave me Differin Gel. Is it smart to stop the BP for a day or two and then start the Differin Gel or should I just go right into the Differin Gel? Does my skin need a small break after the BP? I'm kind of dry from the BP and I hate to throw something totally new on my skin while I'm dry. But then again, I hate to stop and allow myself more breakouts. Any advice would be appreciated. And does Differin work? Is it better than BP? And do I only apply it to my pimples? My doctor said only to the pimples but if I apply it only to the pimples then how does it prevent blemishes in the area's where I applied no Differin. And can I still use BP in the morning and then the Differin at night. Somebody PLEASE respond!!!

differin is intended to be applied all over the affected areas to correct pores and prevent the blockages that lead to pimples... i dont think your derm is giving you good advice, unless you just have a very mild case of acne.

you should read up on differin at http://www.differin.com and see how it works and how to apply.

ive spent a lot of time perusing these boards and reading about other peoples' experiences with differin, and it seems like about 70% have success and 30% dont. a few even say it caused them to break out... maybe the mild irritation aggravated their condition so they quit using it too soon. i think results are supposed to be obvious after 4 to 6 weeks. this page from the differin site shows a bunch of before/after photos: http://www.differin.com/about/beforeandafter.shtml

as for the bp, when i used bp i would only apply it at night because my skin was so dry... that might be an option for you.

a while back, this article was posted about using bp and differin together: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...9126&hl=article

(the article was posted twice so its only half as long as it looks)

ive read that adapalene (the chemical in differin) is not affected by the oxidizing bp, so i would think they could be used together at night.

while trying to combat dryness, you should make sure to use a good moisturizer during the day. dont let your face get soaked in the shower (too much water will dry out the skin). dont use hot water on the face... just use warm or even cool water if you're really dry. and drink lots of water throughout the day.

hope that helped...

Yes drink lots of water even if it means visting the toilet many times.

With BP I only recommend using very little of it . It dries the skin too much.

Do not apply too close to the area around your eyes. The skin is too sensitive there.

Also I do not recommend leaving BP on at night.

DRINK AT LEAST 4 GLASSES OF WATER WHEN YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING.

DO NOT EAT ANYTHING. THIS IS TO CLEAR TOXINS IN YOUR BODY

MAKE SURE YOU EMPTY YOUR STOMACH COMPLETELY BY GOING TO THE TOILET AND PASSING STOOLS.

DRINK ANOTHER GLASS OF WATER AFTER PASSING STOOLS.

THEN SHOWER AND USE JUST WARM WATER. MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO HOT.

WHILE SHOWERING USE MILD SOAP AND FACE CLEANSER.

THEN HAVE A BOWL OF MIXED FRUIT. I OPEN A TIN CAN OF MIXED FRUIT.

DO NOT EAT A HEAVY BREAKFAST YET.

NOW APPLY VERY LITTLE BP OVER YOUR FACE AND PROBLEM AREAS OF BODY.

YOU MAY DRINK ANOTHER GLASS OF WATER. WAIT FOR AT LEAST 10 MINUTES.

NOW YOUR BODY IS FREE OF OVERNIGHT TOXIN RESIDUE.

YOU MAY NOW PROCEED TO HAVE A COMPLETE BREAKFAST. AVOID TOO MUCH GLUTEN (WHEAT) BASED BREAKFAST. HAVE A MIXED BALANCED MEAL.

PROCEED FOR YOUR DAILY WORK.

DRINK PLENTY OF WATER DURING THE DAYTIME

IN THE EVENING WORKOUT FOR 45 MINUTES AND SWEAT. SHOWER WITH WITH MILD/SOAP CLEANSER IMMEDIATLY AFTER WORKOUT.

DURING AND AFTER THE WORKOUT PERIOD IN THE EVENING YOUR FACE WILL LOOK THE WORST YOU CAN IMAGINE FOR THE WHOLE DAY. DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR FACE IN THE MIRROR.

REMEMBER AFTER SLEEP, REST AND SHOWER, IN THE MORNING YOU WILL LOOK THE BEST

DO NOT USE BP AGAIN FOR THE REMAINING NIGHTIME.

HOPE THIS HELPS

THE ABOVE REGIMEN SHOLD BE EFFECTIVE FOR ALL USES WITHOUT TOO MUCH REACTION. NO NEED TO CHANGE TO DIFFERIN

Ashes - I am not certain of your age - so you may not have this problem. I got some samples from a derm when I went in for something else. I tried the samples before attempting to fill his prescrip because I wanted to see how it affected my skin. I react moderately well to bp as long as I use it quite sparingly. I used the differin on one lesion only for three days - it did help clear it up but it dried that area out and made it look red (I used this quite sparingly also). I noticed later that it took that area longer to heal than other areas where I used bp only. That area is till redder than other areas that were infected at the same time.

This is not to say differin is bad - it simply was too harsh for me - but I am in my mid 30's too. So experiment around with how much you use and how often - you might get good results.

Good luck!