Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SO I've been thinking about it.

I have not slept over at anyone's house since I was like 16, not because I am embarrassed about my acne, (to some extent yes) but the remedy I do before bed, makes it hard. I mean I am sure people would understand, I have no problem doing what I need to do to stay clear, but it's quite a process. Imagine you've landed on your friends couch for the night after partying, how bizarre to take so much time getting ready for bed when all they do is wash with some clean and clear wash and hop into bed. It feels like I am performing a ritual of a definite OCD person. And yea I am performing a 'ritual', that goes on Every night, with which I end up feeling like a clown.

After I shower I steam my face for 5-10 minutes, extract anything

after I steam my face I apply my mint julep mask for 15 20 minutes, however long it takes to dry

then I rinse with luke warm water.

I wait for my skin to dry about 15 minutes

then apply Differin gel,

I wait for that to dry then apply clindamycin gel on top of that.

Then I spot treat with the mint julep mask cause of the sulfur,

or hydrocortisone 1%, or proactiv repair treatment, depending on the severity of the blemish.

Give or take how long does that take to get done AFTER I shower? An hour??

Then I hop into bed and they're stunned. haha. I feel like I will never find a boyfriend at this rate because I am not about falling asleep in my makeup....I am sorry. I've never and will never do that. And I won't just wash my face, I have to clean my pores with the steam, it helps the medicine I put on my face seep into my pores more effectively.

Fuck it, he'll be happy I take care of myself. Shoot, now to find a man who won't be scared off by my skin routines, nonetheless my abrasive personality. :D

SO guys, would you mind if your girl did ALL of that before climbing into bed with you and you couldn't even kiss her cause her face would be too coated with crap?????

I mean you could kiss her before she puts it on,but what do you think of the long process...

Edited by Melie87

SO I've been thinking about it.

I have not slept over at anyone's house since I was like 16, not because I am embarrassed about my acne, (to some extent yes) but the remedy I do before bed, makes it hard. I mean I am sure people would understand, I have no problem doing what I need to do to stay clear, but it's quite a process. Imagine you've landed on your friends couch for the night after partying, how bizarre to take so much time getting ready for bed when all they do is wash with some clean and clear wash and hop into bed. It feels like I am performing a ritual of a definite OCD person. And yea I am performing a 'ritual', that goes on Every night, with which I end up feeling like a clown.

After I shower I steam my face for 5-10 minutes, extract anything

after I steam my face I apply my mint julep mask for 15 20 minutes, however long it takes to dry

then I rinse with luke warm water.

I wait for my skin to dry about 15 minutes

then apply Differin gel,

I wait for that to dry then apply clindamycin gel on top of that.

Then I spot treat with the mint julep mask cause of the sulfur,

or hydrocortisone 1%, or proactiv repair treatment, depending on the severity of the blemish.

Give or take how long does that take to get done AFTER I shower? An hour??

Then I hop into bed and they're stunned. haha. I feel like I will never find a boyfriend at this rate because I am not about falling asleep in my makeup....I am sorry. I've never and will never do that. And I won't just wash my face, I have to clean my pores with the steam, it helps the medicine I put on my face seep into my pores more effectively.

Fuck it, he'll be happy I take care of myself. Shoot, now to find a man who won't be scared off by my skin routines, nonetheless my abrasive personality. :D

SO guys, would you mind if your girl did ALL of that before climbing into bed with you and you couldn't even kiss her cause her face would be too coated with crap?????

I mean you could kiss her before she puts it on,but what do you think of the long process...

Mine's about 30-45 minutes....

If they care about you, they won't care. I know when I do my regimen I'm not sitting around staring in the mirror, I'm usually multitasking.

I guess most guys (Maybe even a large amount of women would too) would be shocked by any routine over 15 minutes though. Everyone has quirks though, this is a positive one imo.

It wouldnt bother me, girls are expected to take a long time in the bathroom. I (guys) on the other hand have different stereotypes not so favorable of spending large amounts of time in the bathroom.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

My best friend doesn't care, we both have acne so whenever we stay at one or the other's house we both go to sleep with a bunch of treatments on :lol:

My nightly routine consists of cleansing, toner, serum/treatment, moisturizer, and then spot treatments. This takes maybe around 5-10 minutes. 2-3 times a week, I'll do a longer mask treatment after cleansing, adding another 10 minutes, and then a moisturizing mask to follow up if it's a drying mask like the various sulfur clay masks out there. I don't mind it though, and anyone you consider dating should understand imo.

You'll find someone Melie :D From what I see in your avatar/icon, you're very pretty!

I do the steam and mask every other night. I had to add it so you saw the full result of it. I wear foundation everyday that I am at work unless I am having a bad breakout, the steam helps with the clogged pores from the foundation. I have seen a dramatic improvement in the formation of white/blackheads from that. Plus I work in the line of "looking flawless" so yea, I try VERY hard to walk into work everyday with a PERFECT FACE. Well, healthy glow I should say.

I shower with luke warm water. I don't ever shower in hot water, I know better than that! And its quick. My face is oily as fuck. Is it oily because I use to much crap on my face? I don't think I provoke the oil, I don't use harsh chemicals, nothing over the counter except the mask and my Aveeno lotion, there is no harsh scrubbing. I moisturize. I just do a lot on some nights. So far I haven't gotten a new zit on my face in 5 days. I am just dealing with the damn stubborn guys that like to hang around my jawline.

I have also tried the simply routines, of just soap and water etc. I've done it all...this routine has worked for me....but yes...it seems like a lot.

Hey Tim, it's not that easy to find a down to earth guy!

Guest Timehealsall
Melies got a tool for extractions. I know what I am doing. Better than using my finger nails.

that is quite a routine. IMO (and im a guy), if it helps you stay clear, just fuck it and do it. I mean, with this routine, do you get any pimples at all?

Regarding the extractions, they havent left you with any enlarged pores? If they havent, than i guess you can continue to extract.

Im also a bit surprised your face isnt irritated. Isnt the differin and clindamycin enough as a spot treatment/preventative?

that is quite a routine. IMO (and im a guy), if it helps you stay clear, just fuck it and do it. I mean, with this routine, do you get any pimples at all?

Regarding the extractions, they havent left you with any enlarged pores? If they havent, than i guess you can continue to extract.

Im also a bit surprised your face isnt irritated. Isnt the differin and clindamycin enough as a spot treatment/preventative?

I wish the Differin/Clindamycin was enough as a spot treatment.

I get deep ones on my chin that are still there even when using the creams, so I try and attack those with spot T. I woke up today with one new pimple, it's not big I put a little TToil on it, but it hurts and that's not a good sign.

No enlarged pores, I never had that problem actually. My face heals pretty well...but I am a sucker for attacking my face sometimes before bed, I know its bad, blah blah, but the impulsively of it, having to get that crap out of my skin if I see even a mini whitehead. This might sound gross, but even though I have been on retin-a and all those kinda of retinols in the past my skin still gets build up, and if I press my skin white crap comes out....sooooo gross. The steam has helped with that.

I will break out on an antibiotic and on creams. It's way lame. Been on everything except spironlactone (probably spelled that wrong) and accutane. Tried the damn birth control no luck, tried three of them for 8 months. boo.

How I steam? I think its a conair one, not that expensive, my ma used to use for her face....its not hot steam it's like if you were in the sauna, good for your skin opens up my pores and thoughrly cleans them. It's small and it fits just my face

I have found by doing this my topical medication works better.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Wow, and I thought cleansing, pat drying, waiting, applying differin, waiting, then moisturizer took forever! My routine takes like 5-7 minutes and I hate it! haha

i also avoid sleeping over at peoples houses because i dont even let my family see me without

make up let alone somebody else especially now that i am going through and IB and have

a tone of remarks on my face.I feel the same about never finding a boyfriend who will understand

and not be disgusted to see me with acne and my face full of redmarks i think i will be single

forever but ah well maybe when my face clears i will feel better about it.I also read

that steaming ur face alot could lead to oily skin try to steam it less and just apply

the mask twice a week.I have to extract everything as well as soon as i see a white head thats

it for me pop a bit of blood comes and its gone and then few days later these evil little bitches

spread and more come out ughh i fuckin hate acne with a passion lol ...but ahh hopefully brighter days will come for us!

I sometimes wonder myself why i have to put all this $hit on my face to make it look normal. When people wake up and go to sleep with nothing on their face and their face look perfect.

Damn this sucks! :boohoo:

I sometimes wonder myself why i have to put all this $hit on my face to make it look normal. When people wake up and go to sleep with nothing on their face and their face look perfect.

Damn this sucks!

yea =/. how the hell do they do that. Right now I am working one day a week at a gym, and that is torture, today was 90 degrees. All these perfect bodies and shirtless dudes. Damn.

I bet they go to bed without even showering, and they're fine as hell. ENVIOUS.

Edited by Melie87

Hey Melie,

I have only started suffering from acne the last 6months and before that it wasn't really an issue for me. I have also been on roaccutane for the last 8 weeks. I believe it has something to do with starting full time work coming out of the relaxed life at uni. Anyways,my point is acne can make a significant affect on your life as before this time i was very outgoing,always going out and loved life but now Im the complete opposite and acne has made me such a different person with all my family and friends noticing a difference. It is a very hard thing to take but when I get really down I think to myself why am I comparing myself to someone with clear skin even though their a completely different person. Just because they have clear skin doesnt mean their any better than me as everyone has good things about themselves and we are all unique. Trust me from my prior experiences when I had clear skin acne didnt worry me when talking to girls and even my last gf had some acne and would tell me about all the stuff she had to do everyday to keep it under control and I fully understood and supported her through it as theres WAY WAY more to a person than their looks,its whats inside that counts. Looking at ur pic you seem like a very pretty girl so just stick with it cause one day it will all be better :)

Daniel- Yes, I agree, I try not to compare myself. It is very hard sometimes. I am proud to be who I am, even with a few spots, but its depressing because I constantly think of what I "used to look like" and it blows. I am so impatient too...I just want it to go away with a "miracle pill". My back is what's bothering me so much lately, I beat myself up, I want to go the beach, I live 10 minutes away! I need to STOP FOCUSING on it...it's been a constant thought for about a year now, it's honestly driving me insane, and mean. I lash out at my family, exactly what you have described, the frustration explodes onto the people I love. So lame. And they don't connect the dots of why I have been rude, and just want to go upstairs and listen to music. I appreciate that ;) , but it's only a picture, a very small one.

I have had boyfriends with acne and without. It's very interesting to me, because I don't think skin really makes that big of difference, a nice body is way more appealing than the skin?? haha, I dunno but that's what I've gathered, guys probably really figure it will go away in time, and they can deal. I mean I woke up to my ex and I looked like such a FREAK I was like "don't you dare turn on the lights yet!" He would laugh at me. I'd have spots on my face ugh. But it was all in fun. He made life bearable, its the support like that, that really makes the diff.

Melie, good luck girl! That's all I can say. Have you been successful in getting a prescription for Accutane? Are you going to start soon or are you still thinking about it?

Damn this sucks!

Edited by Sima

Hey Sima!

Well I went to the derm yesterday and we talked yadayayaaa. And I am going to wait out Bactrim to see if that helps, so far its been a month, no real improvement and I got two new guys on my back :mad:

If this fails I want to Spironalactone, THEN Accutane. It is so very hard to be patient, you have NO idea. Scratch that. I am sure you do. :doh: I want a skin transplant...damn it's about time to be invented.

ps- I didn't realize how easy it is to get the prescription, my derm lady is so nice :) . She explained that shes given Accutane to girls who are models, and can't have a single blemish, now that seems like a bit extreme to me!

Hey Sima!

Well I went to the derm yesterday and we talked yadayayaaa. And I am going to wait out Bactrim to see if that helps, so far its been a month, no real improvement and I got two new guys on my back :mad:

If this fails I want to Spironalactone, THEN Accutane. It is so very hard to be patient, you have NO idea. Scratch that. I am sure you do. :doh: I want a skin transplant...damn it's about time to be invented.

ps- I didn't realize how easy it is to get the prescription, my derm lady is so nice :) . She explained that shes given Accutane to girls who are models, and can't have a single blemish, now that seems like a bit extreme to me!

I highly recommend Spironolactone if your acne is hormonal. It helps block the androgen receptors and prevents the androgen from interacting with the testosterone that females naturally produce. Women produce both testosterone and estrogen. Men only produce testosterone. For me, I took Spironolactone for a few months before starting Accutane. I got impatient, so I decided to go on Accutane. Now that I'm done with Accutane, I am taking Spironolactone with Birth Control (that combination works best instead of just spiro alone or birth control alone) as well as Vitamin D3 to help regulate my crazy hormones. My hormones are out of whack, so that's why I'm on Spiro, Birth Control Pill, and Vitamin D3. The hormones are what cause me to produce excessive oil (which leads to more acne) and hair on my body.

Spironolactone is extremely cheap. I only pay $8 for a month's supply.